Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 639722 times)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #5285 on: August 07, 2017, 07:47:06 AM »
Well....Bran can see the past and future
Can he see the future? I don't think this is the case, unless I've missed something.

And yes, very very good episode though I think it's being a little overhyped. It was superbly made and well-paced though, and had some terrific moments (I loved Arya in Winterfell, and the battle was so enjoyable to watch).

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5286 on: August 07, 2017, 07:47:33 AM »
So does anyone else understand why Sansa is being such a bitch? She looked pissed when Bran gave the Dagger to Arya and she had total RBF watching Arya train with Brianne. She just jealous or what? I still think that littlefinger won't make it past this season.

Well....Bran can see the past and future and Arya is a skilled assasin......she really has nothing to show for the past few years other than some interesting knots in her hair.

And Jon is basically Jesus

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5287 on: August 07, 2017, 07:57:28 AM »
What an episode.  I'm actually a bit dissapointed with the ending though.  Sort of like how the Battle at the Wall ended, yea we saw the battles kind of over, but ending without seeing what happens to Jaimie is kind of annoying.  I don't think anyone believes he is going to drown after all that so why end it that way?  Having said that, it certainly didn't take away from the awesomeness of what just happened.  That battle was really intense.  The Dothraki in combat like that against a western army was something I wasn't sure we'd ever see.  Then Dany coming in on the dragon to just burn everything was really cool to see.  It's interesting how they showed this with Bronn.  I think most people really enjoy his character, but imagine if he killed drogon?  It's like you are rooting both for and against him.  Maybe as well as Jaime, I'm not sure what everyone else thinks of him, but I didn't want him to die.  Not after just learning the truth about Joffrey.  I wonder how wounded Drogon is going to be now.  He seemed to shake it off somewhat, but we don't know if there was any serious damage to his shoulder. Also, that looked like they burned all that money for the bank.  After the bank seemingly sucking up to Cersei, I wonder if they just dissapear or if they now back Dany.

And of course the reunions this episode.  I totally didn't even think about a Jon and Theon reunion.  That was kind of awkward and I was wondering how Jon would react to him, but I guess that worked.   The scene in the cave was AWESOME.  I loved how they showed the drawings like that, it was kind of freaky to see the white walkers with the blue eyes drawn in the cave in dragonstone.  The first men and the children joined forced to fight them.  Fuck yea. 

Then the rest of the Starks.  I've got to wonder how Littlefinger is feeling right now.  He thought he had to just win Sansa over and now all of the sudden Bran shows up all knowing of the past.  I most certianly believe he knows where that dagger came from.  Littlefinger didn't answer the question this time, yet he told Catelyn it was Tyrions.  Bran while all knowing now, has kind of turned into a douche.  That was sad to see Meera go like that, after all she did to help him.  I wonder if we ever see her again.  Being that the dagger is Valaryian Steel, I wonder if Arya is going to need to use it against a walker.  And then Arya sneaking into Winterfell was great.  The look on Littlefingers face was epic as she was dominating Brienne.  Bran knowing the list and everything was cool.  Why can't he just let everyone know everything?!

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #5288 on: August 07, 2017, 08:06:00 AM »
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5289 on: August 07, 2017, 08:09:27 AM »
Also, that looked like they burned all that money for the bank.  After the bank seemingly sucking up to Cersei, I wonder if they just dissapear or if they now back Dany.

No, there was a line delivered early on in the scene where the lead General told Jaime that all the Gold had been delivered to Kings Landing.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5290 on: August 07, 2017, 08:11:55 AM »
Well....Bran can see the past and future
Can he see the future? I don't think this is the case, unless I've missed something.

I was under the impression he could 'see everything'.....maybe I just thought that meant the future as well.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5291 on: August 07, 2017, 08:12:18 AM »
"Chaos is a ladder " was a quote from dialogue that Littlefinger had with Varys in season 3. Bran was letting Littlefinger know that although Jon Snow knows nothing, Bran isn't Jon Snow.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #5292 on: August 07, 2017, 08:17:49 AM »
"Chaos is a ladder " was a quote from dialogue that Littlefinger had with Varys in season 3. Bran was letting Littlefinger know that although Jon Snow knows nothing, Bran isn't Jon Snow.
That was an awesome moment.

When Bran reunited with Sansa an episode or two ago, he said something along the lines of "I can see everything that has happened, and is happening". Nothing about seeing into the future, but the past and present.

Popular theory [MAYBE SPOILERS] is that the reason the old Three Eyed Raven seemed to be able to see the future was because Bran will eventually warg back in time and take over his body in the distant past, becoming that same Three Eyed Raven but knowing everything that happened up to and including the point at which he wargs back.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5293 on: August 07, 2017, 08:20:53 AM »
Then the rest of the Starks.  I've got to wonder how Littlefinger is feeling right now.  He thought he had to just win Sansa over and now all of the sudden Bran shows up all knowing of the past.  I most certianly believe he knows where that dagger came from.  Littlefinger didn't answer the question this time, yet he told Catelyn it was Tyrions.  Bran while all knowing now, has kind of turned into a douche.  That was sad to see Meera go like that, after all she did to help him.  I wonder if we ever see her again. Being that the dagger is Valaryian Steel, I wonder if Arya is going to need to use it against a walker.  And then Arya sneaking into Winterfell was great.  The look on Littlefingers face was epic as she was dominating Brienne.  Bran knowing the list and everything was cool.  Why can't he just let everyone know everything?!

Victoria floated the idea that Arya could kill the night king, steal his face, and then lead the entire white walker army to Cersei.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5294 on: August 07, 2017, 08:36:31 AM »
When Bran reunited with Sansa an episode or two ago, he said something along the lines of "I can see everything that has happened, and is happening". Nothing about seeing into the future, but the past and present.

Popular theory [MAYBE SPOILERS] is that the reason the old Three Eyed Raven seemed to be able to see the future was because Bran will eventually warg back in time and take over his body in the distant past, becoming that same Three Eyed Raven but knowing everything that happened up to and including the point at which he wargs back.

cool theory, and it's apparent I made the 'seeing the future' part up in my head.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5295 on: August 07, 2017, 08:37:19 AM »

That is so awesome and it was a perfect reaction by Littlefinger when he heard that.... :omg:

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #5296 on: August 07, 2017, 08:42:12 AM »
Then the rest of the Starks.  I've got to wonder how Littlefinger is feeling right now.  He thought he had to just win Sansa over and now all of the sudden Bran shows up all knowing of the past.  I most certianly believe he knows where that dagger came from.  Littlefinger didn't answer the question this time, yet he told Catelyn it was Tyrions.  Bran while all knowing now, has kind of turned into a douche.  That was sad to see Meera go like that, after all she did to help him.  I wonder if we ever see her again. Being that the dagger is Valaryian Steel, I wonder if Arya is going to need to use it against a walker.  And then Arya sneaking into Winterfell was great.  The look on Littlefingers face was epic as she was dominating Brienne.  Bran knowing the list and everything was cool.  Why can't he just let everyone know everything?!

Victoria floated the idea that Arya could kill the night king, steal his face, and then lead the entire white walker army to Cersei.

If I'm not mistaken, Jon killed a white walker at Hardhorne with Longclaw, which is also valyrian steel and the white walker just turned into dust. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5297 on: August 07, 2017, 08:47:57 AM »
If I'm not mistaken, Jon killed a white walker at Hardhorne with Longclaw, which is also valyrian steel and the white walker just turned into dust.

yep. that was an awesome scene also!

Would the show have enough time to pull off an Arya venture of that sort.....killing off the Night King and assuming his identity? Seems ambitious.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #5298 on: August 07, 2017, 08:52:42 AM »

yep. that was an awesome scene also!

Would the show have enough time to pull off an Arya venture of that sort.....killing off the Night King and assuming his identity? Seems ambitious.

What I tried to say was that if valyrian steel turns white walkers to dust, there would not be a face left for Arya to use. 

I was really worried about Bronn and was hating the fact that he could succeed against Drogon, yet be killed in the process.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5299 on: August 07, 2017, 09:07:00 AM »
What I tried to say was that if valyrian steel turns white walkers to dust, there would not be a face left for Arya to use. 

I was really worried about Bronn and was hating the fact that he could succeed against Drogon, yet be killed in the process.

Gotcha. I think once Arya 'sees' the face she could use it, right?

And, the show has done such a good job at almost forcing you to root for Bronn, that...when placed in that scene where it's he vs. Drogon.....two 'beloved' characters.....it was such an odd feeling. Although I'll admit I was more team Drogon than team Bronn and wanted to see Bronn get burnt to a crisp.  :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5300 on: August 07, 2017, 09:17:37 AM »
Yea they really put us viewers in a bad spot watching Bronn vs. Drogon, luckily no one died from that.

Also, I believe the person needs to be dead for Arya to use the face.  However, I am not sure if using the face also gives you whatever magical ability the person had.  Clearly it allows you to use their voice (like Walder Frey) so maybe it does allow more.  Like I am not totally sure if Arya used the Night Kings face if she could actually lead the dead army since I think that's more magic based than an actual leadership.  Maybe, but I don't know.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5301 on: August 07, 2017, 09:42:02 AM »
Also, I believe the person needs to be dead for Arya to use the face.  However, I am not sure if using the face also gives you whatever magical ability the person had.  Clearly it allows you to use their voice (like Walder Frey) so maybe it does allow more.  Like I am not totally sure if Arya used the Night Kings face if she could actually lead the dead army since I think that's more magic based than an actual leadership.  Maybe, but I don't know.

As cool of a scenario that would be it wouldn't 'feel' right to me. The Night King seems to me to be more or less John's 'kill' or battle....meaning it would make more sense if John were the one to ultimately defeat him. It fits in the story better rather than Arya just showing up and jumping into the middle of it. Her 'fate' lies with Cersi or even Little Finger.....more tied to the 'Kings Landing' side of things. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5302 on: August 07, 2017, 09:53:32 AM »

As cool of a scenario that would be it wouldn't 'feel' right to me. The Night King seems to me to be more or less John's 'kill' or battle....meaning it would make more sense if John were the one to ultimately defeat him. It fits in the story better rather than Arya just showing up and jumping into the middle of it. Her 'fate' lies with Cersi or even Little Finger.....more tied to the 'Kings Landing' side of things.

Totally agree.  I can see Arya heading back south soon.  The Night Kind definitely has his eyes on Jon and Jon has his eyes on him. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5303 on: August 07, 2017, 02:45:30 PM »
Nothing about seeing into the future

...although, now that I've thought about it.....Bran did have a vision of Cersi blowing up the Cept before she actually did it. It might not have been a 'verbatim' vision but he did see her do it.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #5304 on: August 07, 2017, 02:57:20 PM »
Just watched, still feeling the emotions!!! what a badass episode!!!!  :metal

Creepy Bran is creepy.

Arya has made the longest journey and it's finally over. I was almost in tears at the idea of her making it home, but I expected more of her meeting with Sansa. Sansa never cared for Jon, a bastard, and they hugged forever when they met, now the two littler sisters meet and they're just like "'sup sis?"... ok, they hugged, but I expected more.

Anyway, Arya showing off what a badass she became for the W-T-F-'ery of everyone was awesome. Loved the "Who taught you that? no one" line.

And, well, surely I wasn't the only one, but I totally saw it coming with Dany saying "ah, fuck it, let's use dragons". The battle reached levels of absolute badassery not previously known to man or beast. The whole burning battlefield with dark clouds of smoke engulfing it all was terrific. Thanks to Iron Maiden we know of the real horrors of the battle of Paschendale in the mud, this will be instead the fictional battle in the clouds of smoke and fire.

That whole ending battle had my heart racing the whole time. The long lag between hearing the Dothraki and finally seeing them was perfect, and hearing the dragon's roar was just insane.

Absolutely agree! I thought Dany would use just the dragons, but since the show is in a "screw time and distances" mode, she was able to carry the whole Dothraki along. And seeing them appear was gorgeous.

Then Dany coming in on the dragon to just burn everything was really cool to see.  It's interesting how they showed this with Bronn.  I think most people really enjoy his character, but imagine if he killed drogon?  It's like you are rooting both for and against him. 

That's what I was thinking! It's Bronn so he's cool, but he fights for the Lannisters, which are the bad guys, but she's up against Dany who, truth be told, kinda became a crazy bitch right now, but she's the mother of dragons and aaaaah it was simplier with Lord of the Rings, you knew who to root for  :biggrin:

Also, Tyrion having still a soft spot for Jaimie and hoping he doesn't get killed was priceless. I don't question his loyalties like Dany did in a fit of frustrations, but he was very conflicted on the battlefield, he had "Geez what have I done" printed on his face.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5305 on: August 07, 2017, 05:57:41 PM »
This is by far my favorite season. I came all over myself when dany came roaring through the clouds lighting everyone up. Just incredible.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5306 on: August 07, 2017, 07:04:04 PM »
My wife just took the kiddos out for some hair cuts so i fired up the big screen and full blown surround sound and rewatched the battle. Hearing Drogons opening roar cranked up was awesome! That battle was just as intense the second, third and fourth time I watched it.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #5307 on: August 07, 2017, 07:11:43 PM »
So when Bronn first heard the approaching army, did anyone else have this one come to mind...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFufoOgCMW8

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5308 on: August 07, 2017, 07:37:48 PM »
I can't believe there are only 3 episodes left in this season  :'(

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5309 on: August 07, 2017, 08:19:09 PM »
Great episode, Great to see Arya home.

I do think Arya will kill Littlefinger with the Dagger, the look on his face as she fought Brienne, I just hope she does it soon.

I always like Bronn, but I did not want him killing a Dragon, I thought he would be toast, but he saves Jamie in the end, shame the Gold was not destroyed.

It will be interesting to see what happens next, especially if Jamie and Bronn are captured, but maybe Bronn didn't survive?!

I want to see Tyrion more next week, his character has taken a back seat of late, foiled plans and all, obviously loves his brother, so if Jamie is captured what would he do, let his brother free, after all Jamie let him free, to kill their father, but still freed him.

Jon showing the cave paintings of the whitewalkers to Dany, does she believe him now?

I could handle all shows doing this every episode, every second is OMG. I have the books on the shelves unread, so this is all new to me....Looking forward to next week.  :corn
It is episodes like this, that make me want to binge from the start, that and some of your incredible memories for episode detail.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5310 on: August 07, 2017, 08:45:45 PM »
I look forward to seeing Arya gut Littlefinger. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5311 on: August 08, 2017, 02:47:14 AM »
So when Bronn first heard the approaching army, did anyone else have this one come to mind...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFufoOgCMW8

:lol

And yeah, awesome episode. That battle scene was epic.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #5312 on: August 08, 2017, 04:06:56 AM »

I always like Bronn, but I did not want him killing a Dragon, I thought he would be toast, but he saves Jamie in the end, shame the Gold was not destroyed.

It seemed to be a blur to me, was it definitely Bronn?  Logically it seems like it should be Bronn, but there again they did build up Dickon (/snigger) so could it have been him instead?   

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #5313 on: August 08, 2017, 04:13:59 AM »
Reading other comments from people who looked closely, the general consensus is that it's Bronn.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #5314 on: August 08, 2017, 04:40:47 AM »
Fantastic episode, and excellent visual effects!

For me, Bronn has kind of served his purpose. I liked him early on, but I don't want him to do too much of significance, if you get me. He's a pretty minor character in the books, and they've expanded his role a lot for the show. I think being roasted by a dragon, trying to hang on to his gold would have been a fitting end in this episode.

Maybe they are setting up one final confrontation with Tyrion, where they each have to choose which side they are on..

Offline Grappler

« Reply #5315 on: August 08, 2017, 06:55:25 AM »
Bronn is awesome, and the person that saved Jamie seemed to be wearing all black, so I'd bet it's him.  Dickon was wearing armor and it would be tough to fly through the air like that person did.  I agree with the above - assuming it's Bronn, it puts them in position to be captured by the Dothraki and then puts them closer to scenes with Tyrion, especially now that Jamie knows that he did not kill Joffrey, though he did kill their father.

I rewatched the battle scene last night and it still took my breath away despite knowing what was going to happen.  A lot of the battles happen off screen in this series, and their best episodes tend to be the ones where they have some big battle sequences. 

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #5316 on: August 08, 2017, 07:10:46 AM »
I also rewatched just the battle scene earlier. No less awesome the second time.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5317 on: August 08, 2017, 07:24:12 AM »
I didn't realize until I just read it in an article that the 'Golden Company' is a mercenary group of sell swordsman....apparently the best of the best. I thought that when Cersi and the Iron Bank Rep. were talking and he mentioned them that it was just a competitor bank....not a group of hired soldiers that have the reputation like the unsullied.

that's going to come in handy for Cersi being how decimated her army is right now....and may be the only way to combat the Dothraki and Unsullied because the 'traditional' forms of fighting aren't going to do so well any longer.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5318 on: August 08, 2017, 08:27:52 AM »
I was thinking about how it's likely Jaimie is captured and will have some face time with Tyrion.  We know Jaimie now knows about Joffrey's death and Bronn mentioned how it was clear something was bothering him.  Maybe Tyrion tells him about Lancel too and this all convinces Jaimie to go against Cersei.  Maybe even so that they let him go so he can kill Cersei.  Sort of like how he killed the Mad King (it seems very likely he will have to explain himself to Dany about that) and then he can kill Cersei and open the gates for her army to come in and take the Red Keep although this time he would be smarter and not be sitting on the Iron Throne when it happens since he mentioned earlier this season that he's learned from past mistakes.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5319 on: August 08, 2017, 08:47:15 AM »
I was thinking about how it's likely Jaimie is captured and will have some face time with Tyrion.  We know Jaimie now knows about Joffrey's death and Bronn mentioned how it was clear something was bothering him.  Maybe Tyrion tells him about Lancel too and this all convinces Jaimie to go against Cersei.  Maybe even so that they let him go so he can kill Cersei.  Sort of like how he killed the Mad King (it seems very likely he will have to explain himself to Dany about that) and then he can kill Cersei and open the gates for her army to come in and take the Red Keep although this time he would be smarter and not be sitting on the Iron Throne when it happens since he mentioned earlier this season that he's learned from past mistakes.

i was thinking something similar. Having Jaimie as a prisoner would allow Tyrion time to sew the seeds of discord between Jaimie and Cersi. They've shown us anyway that Jaimie is starting to falter in his devotion to Cersi....the looks he's given her.....he's mentioned he had to talk Cersi out of atrocious acts.....there has been multiple instances of people trying to 'warn' him about her....the foreshadowing goes on and on.

It would 'fit' the story if he were to be a prisoner....have one or several conversations with Tyrion.....see Dany outside of war.....then be prisoner swapped for either the Dorne Queen or Eura Greyjoy. then go on to kill Cersi as she's about to commit some wretched act ala the Mad King.