Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 648218 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #2380 on: April 28, 2015, 02:08:06 PM »
What did you think of the beheading scene? I'm interested to know what you show-only people made of it.

I thought it was great!! From the moment Jon gave that dude one last chance in the mess hall....up to the point where that guy was begging for his life confessing he was afraid and a coward....i thought the whole sequence was done well. I liked how they showed a bit of internal struggle with Jon as you could see that he really didn't 'want' to do that....especially after the guy just emasculates himself as he begged for his life....but Jon's sense of Honor and Duty compelled him to 'do the right thing' in that situation.

How was the book sequence different? I've read here where a couple of you book readers say there was more of a narrative in Jon's mind going on?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2381 on: April 28, 2015, 02:40:12 PM »
I often wonder if the non book readers understand who Janos Slynt was.  I just watched a few episodes from season 2 with him and since he was a minor character (who actually played a very big part in Neds death in season 1) and then went on hiatus until he got to the wall, I could see him being forgotten about from the unsullied.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2382 on: April 28, 2015, 02:45:01 PM »
I often wonder if the non book readers understand who Janos Slynt was.  I just watched a few episodes from season 2 with him and since he was a minor character (who actually played a very big part in Neds death in season 1) and then went on hiatus until he got to the wall, I could see him being forgotten about from the unsullied.

Was that the dude who was beheaded by Jon? What'd he do to get Ned killed?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2383 on: April 28, 2015, 02:50:08 PM »

Yes, he was the commander of the city watch in King Landing in season 1 and 2.  He gave the order for the city watch the turn their spears away from the Lannisters and towards the Starks when Ned said Joffrey had no right to the throne.  In season 2, Tyrion as acting Hand of the King confronts Janos about this where Janos says it was his command to turn against Ned (although it is assumed that he was acting under Cersei's command) and then Tyrion banishes him to the Wall because he could not trust the man who betrayed the previous Hand of the King.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2384 on: April 28, 2015, 02:53:02 PM »

Yes, he was the commander of the city watch in King Landing in season 1 and 2.  He gave the order for the city watch the turn their spears away from the Lannisters and towards the Starks when Ned said Joffrey had no right to the throne.  In season 2, Tyrion as acting Hand of the King confronts Janos about this where Janos says it was his command to turn against Ned (although it is assumed that he was acting under Cersei's command) and then Tyrion banishes him to the Wall because he could not trust the man who betrayed the previous Hand of the King.

Thanks!!  :tup

This only proves that I don't know if I'm cut out for this show  :lol I've watched every season and I cannot for the life of me keep all these characters straight....hardly remember their names....much less can I recall them from seasons past. Imagine how much more I could enjoy this show if I knew what the  :censored I was watching?? I mean....Jon get's to behead a man who had a hand in his Father being Murdered.....how cool is that??

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2385 on: April 28, 2015, 02:56:51 PM »
Its funny, I am currently seeing a girl who never watched the show, but because I talked about how great it is, she started watching and I've been watching with her and I always tell her to pay super close attention and that all these characters play a role and its difficult to follow if you don't pay close attention.  So I just finsihed season 1 with her last weekend and we are already half way through season 2 so the Janos Slynt part was fresh in my mind (as well as Robert and Cersei's sex life  :lol) Then getting to watch the new episode was awesome cause all those scenes from the previous seasons were in the back of my mind.  I can totally see how the casual viewer gets lost with al the characters and smaller storylines.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2386 on: April 28, 2015, 02:57:09 PM »
That is one of the problems with the series, and even more so with the books. There are just too many characters and storylines going on to be able to follow.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #2387 on: April 28, 2015, 04:34:39 PM »
I just thought it was a great scene to show how much he has develloped personally in a short time. You could see the doubt in him untill the very last.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2388 on: April 28, 2015, 10:37:49 PM »
How was the book sequence different? I've read here where a couple of you book readers say there was more of a narrative in Jon's mind going on?

Well, in the books Jon gives Janos a day to think about the command, and when the next morning Janos refuses, Jon orders to take him outside and hang him. Janos is all "you can't do that, I've got powerful friends in King's Landing", and then Jon realizes hanging is a wrong way to go, because Ned taught all the Stark children that if you pass the sentence, you should swing the sword. So Jon says "no, wait, we won't hang him", and Janos goes all smug until Jon orders to fetch him a block, and the beheading occurs.

Not a lot of difference of course. I thought the show version of this scene was fine too.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2389 on: April 29, 2015, 06:02:49 AM »
The show was fine, no point in the drawn out part.  Makes sense for the book because you read Jon's inner thoughts and therefore having time between the sentancing and beheading makes sense, but show wise, just do it!  Same with the whole Lord Commander vote, drawn out process in the book that takes time, but makes no sesne to do that for a show that is trying to keep a steady pace.

That is one thing the show is doing very well.  Books 4 and 5 slow down the pace big time, the show cannot afford to slow down the storyline and they aren't.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #2390 on: April 29, 2015, 07:46:02 AM »
Love how Cersei is decimating the Small Counsil. Wait for the next classic line 'Not small enough'.  :hefdaddy
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2391 on: April 29, 2015, 10:07:28 PM »
I may be the only one but I honestly can not tell the difference between Roose and Stannis unless I see other supporting characters. I'm sure side by side they don't really look alike but with how little we see each character the two actors look very similar.

I never thought that, but I did think Bolton looked so much like the current James Bond that I actually had to look it up to make sure they're not related heh
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2392 on: May 03, 2015, 07:53:42 PM »
Damn, yo.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2393 on: May 03, 2015, 09:26:20 PM »
If I were Daeneryus (sorry spelling?) my response would be Drogon melting whatever/wherever the Sons of the Harpey worship or gather. Or, just burning stuff down in generally and making it known that if that continues she's torching the whole place.....she's being way too soft IMO

Good episode though....liked Stannis showing his daughter some love and Little Finger calling out the plays for Sansa.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2394 on: May 04, 2015, 05:29:00 AM »
So who is it in the preview for next week that Daenerys and the others are standing over?  Is it Ser Barristan? 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2395 on: May 04, 2015, 05:45:48 AM »
So who is it in the preview for next week that Daenerys and the others are standing over?  Is it Ser Barristan?

Yup, looks like he may be dead  :|  I would rather Grey Worm die than Selmy. 

One thing I liked a lot about this episode were the mentions of Rheagar and how he was portrayed.  I think they may be slowly adding in elements of the popular fan theory of Jon Snow's parents. 

The way the show showed the Faith Militant and the Sons of the Harpy both going through the city and taking over was really cool as well. 

Cersei vs. Margery is really heating up with Tommen stuck in the middle.  Loras being jailed should be interesting, I have a feeling this may not end well for him.  Margery is calling her grandmother, I'd love to see the Queen of Thorns come back into play in King's Landing.

I think Stannis may have become a fan favorite in that last episode.  Him showing some love for his unloved daughter and then Littlefinger's plan unfolded (at least the plan he is letting Sansa know, and I don't trust him that he is truthful) that Stannis could be the savior for Sansa, and of course Stannis' goal of defeating the Boltons means he is officially a good guy for now.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2396 on: May 04, 2015, 06:07:34 AM »
I think it was definitely the best episode of the season so far.  Could he be the actor that thought he had more time left on the show after reading the books or is that not shocking enough?  Are you familiar with that story?  There might be spoilers in the article!

https://winteriscoming.net/2015/04/15/liam-cunningham-hints-at-season-5-scene-more-shocking-than-red-wedding/

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #2397 on: May 04, 2015, 06:53:41 AM »
That last scene pissed me off to no end, mostly because it wasn't very well done.

A bunch of armored, shielded men who's whole life revolves around combat being completely decimated by random unarmored dudes using knifes?! The scene didn't do a good job of showing them be overwhelmed, the very first shot of the fight is a Harpy cutting down an Unsullied, which seemed completely contradictory to everything the show has said about the Unsullied.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2398 on: May 04, 2015, 06:57:39 AM »
I think it was definitely the best episode of the season so far.  Could he be the actor that thought he had more time left on the show after reading the books or is that not shocking enough?  Are you familiar with that story?  There might be spoilers in the article!

https://winteriscoming.net/2015/04/15/liam-cunningham-hints-at-season-5-scene-more-shocking-than-red-wedding/

Well that story hints at something surprising at the end of the season so I doubt Selmy's death is it, could be Davos himself. 

That last scene pissed me off to no end, mostly because it wasn't very well done.

A bunch of armored, shielded men who's whole life revolves around combat being completely decimated by random unarmored dudes using knifes?! The scene didn't do a good job of showing them be overwhelmed, the very first shot of the fight is a Harpy cutting down an Unsullied, which seemed completely contradictory to everything the show has said about the Unsullied.

Yea, but they were tricked to go down into that hallway where they were sabotaged.  I thought it showed them outmanned very well and they still killed everyone.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #2399 on: May 04, 2015, 06:58:50 AM »
Yeah they showed them being outmanned, but I didn't feel they showed them be overwhelmed. Every Unsullied that was with Grey Worm was killed in 1-on-1 combat and they didn't seem to put up much of a fight besides Grey Worm.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2400 on: May 04, 2015, 07:11:42 AM »
I know what you are getting at. It seemed that Grey Worm was the only Unsullied who actually fought up to their reputation. 

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #2401 on: May 04, 2015, 07:14:01 AM »
And that's what pissed me off about the scene. Everything we hear about them is that they're the best infantry you can buy, everyone speaks of them with respect or fear and then a bunch of random dudes just decimate them? WTF!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2402 on: May 04, 2015, 07:19:04 AM »
Yes yes yes. This last scene just pissed me off greatly.

And that's what pissed me off about the scene. Everything we hear about them is that they're the best infantry you can buy, everyone speaks of them with respect or fear and then a bunch of random dudes just decimate them? WTF!

All of this.

I felt this scene was there just to get rid of Barristan (I guess he's dead? I didn't watch the next preview). I hope if Barristan is dead, Grey Worm is dead too, because I kind of can't stand their romance with Missandei at all.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #2403 on: May 04, 2015, 07:24:41 AM »
I'm just glad we're finally rid of all those 'give us episode 5 already!' comments on FB. So you've caved and watched the first four, stop pestering people who posess an ounce of patience already. 

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #2404 on: May 04, 2015, 07:25:25 AM »
If killing Barristan was just a plot device to let Jorah come back into Dany's inner circle it would be so cheap and lame for this show.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2405 on: May 04, 2015, 07:33:35 AM »
They are the best infrantry.  But they weren't killed in infantry combat (in formations on the battlefield).  They were killed in a city alley.  And all of the attackers still died (albeit with the help of Selmy).

Also, the other thing they are known for is their fierce loyalty.  They can't be bought out like the other Free Companies who are mercenaries.  Once you have them, you have them to the bitter end.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2406 on: May 04, 2015, 07:43:48 AM »
Also, huge fucking spears. 

No way they were gonna come out best when they're fighting in an alleyway with those things.  You lose that battle.  You lose that battle 9 times out of 10. 

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #2407 on: May 04, 2015, 07:46:28 AM »
My problem is not with them losing the battle, they should've with spears in close space and being outmanned. My problem was with how easy it looked.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #2408 on: May 04, 2015, 08:06:32 AM »
I may be the only one but I honestly can not tell the difference between Roose and Stannis unless I see other supporting characters. I'm sure side by side they don't really look alike but with how little we see each character the two actors look very similar.

I've been through the show a couple of times now so I am pretty good at differentiating between characters, but there was certainly a time where I had trouble telling people apart.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2409 on: May 04, 2015, 08:20:28 AM »
I felt this scene was there just to get rid of Barristan (I guess he's dead? I didn't watch the next preview). I hope if Barristan is dead, Grey Worm is dead too, because I kind of can't stand their romance with Missandei at all.

Yea, the whole scene seemed set up to kill him off with the whole "singing in the streets" bit.  I'd like Grey Worm to die as well, the love thing really just does not interest me.

But the scenes from next week showed Barristan seemingly dead on a table, did not show anyhting with Grey Worm, but his wound seemed less life threatening.  I do think that Grey Worm is likely seriously injured and with Barristan dead, it leaves no reliable advisors for her besides the return of Jorah.

If killing Barristan was just a plot device to let Jorah come back into Dany's inner circle it would be so cheap and lame for this show.

And I hope that wasn't the case either, I guess we will have to see, but I think the death is more to show how alone she really is now.

The parallels between Dany and Cersei in this episode were interesting.  Both becoming very isolated.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2410 on: May 04, 2015, 09:38:10 AM »
I still enjoy the show greatly....and have enjoyed the season thus far.....but all in all up to this point.....and judging from the comments I'll be in the minority when I say this.....but I've been a bit underwhelmed with what I've seen to this point. As I said, I've liked it and enjoyed this season so far but I haven't seen anything yet that's just floored me or leveled me due to it's 'awesomeness'.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2411 on: May 04, 2015, 09:45:23 AM »
I can agree that nothing so far has been edge of your seat kind of stuff.  It seems its mostly all been build up, but I think last night showed that the season's arcs are now in full force and the more edge of your seat stuff is coming up real soon.

I think last season had something big happen in almost every episode and this season just isn't keeping that pace, which is fine.  There are more new characters and storylines to develop this season.  Last night was definitely the best episode of the season though. 

I also like how this season we already got Varys telling us his plan and now we got LF telling us his plan as well.  From season 1 we've been guessing their motives and we are actually getting somewhere with them, not that I totally believe either of them.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2412 on: May 04, 2015, 09:46:32 AM »
I thought this episode was great. And I absolutely love the scene between Stannis and Shireen.

And yeah, the strength of the Unsullied isn't a few of them patrolling the streets, it's in large organized battle formations.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2413 on: May 04, 2015, 10:02:11 AM »
I thought this episode was great. And I absolutely love the scene between Stannis and Shireen.

Again, I've liked the episodes thus far. They've woven a pretty cool tapestry of parallel stories between characters and events. I'm certain with the shows history that there is going to be plenty of 'bang' in this season....but to this point it's been primarily set up for that 'bang' and for as neat and interesting as the storytelling has been.....I'm just ready for some 'bang'....

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2414 on: May 04, 2015, 12:00:26 PM »
Oh, and I have a really bad feeling about the look Melisandre gives Selyse after saying that her father's blood runs through their daughter's veins. Then again, I've had that bad feeling since "when we set sail, your daughter must be with us" and whatever she showed her in the fire last season.