Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 639689 times)

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #1645 on: April 25, 2014, 04:27:41 PM »
Oh, and this is probably rather old, but it gave me a good laugh  :lol

:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1646 on: April 25, 2014, 04:53:17 PM »
That's hilarious  :rollin

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1647 on: April 26, 2014, 03:51:07 AM »
On a similar note, Jon Snow meets Jon Snow: https://twitter.com/jonsnowC4/status/459685239934431234/photo/1

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #1648 on: April 27, 2014, 09:56:48 PM »
The series just spoiled something for book readers!! :lol

That last scene raises so many questions!! The only thing it confirms is that the Others/white walkers are indeed a race of supernatural beings with some king of society/hierarchy.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1649 on: April 27, 2014, 10:10:50 PM »
Is that even Martin-approved? My book-reading friend was flipping a shit at the entire last 15 minutes.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1650 on: April 27, 2014, 10:16:55 PM »
It has to be.

We know that the next book is gonna delved into the white walkers and the Lands of Always Winter... I'm guessing this is our first taste at that.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1651 on: April 27, 2014, 11:00:35 PM »
I'm curious to know, without any spoilers if possible, how the book is planning on delving into that setting. Wouldn't a POV character need to be there? I guess there are some major characters moving north, but still…
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1652 on: April 27, 2014, 11:35:29 PM »
There's a character with some... abilities, that can help there.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1653 on: April 28, 2014, 05:34:31 AM »
I think book readers aren't going to be happy. All the stuff with Crasters was not in the books and then that ending... yes that may have been spoilers for book readers.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1654 on: April 28, 2014, 07:17:58 AM »
I'm not unhappy with the episode. More like confused. I suppose I should reserve judgment until the screenwriters story completely unfolds but I'll just throw this out there: The happenings at Castle Black/The Wall was probably the best parts of the books! In my mind it would have made for great television...so why change things so drastically?

Part of the fun of watching the series is seeing what changes the screenwriters make and trying to figure out why. For the most part, this series has been incredibly faithful to the source. Now that they are deviating...I don't know. On the surface it just seems pointless.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1655 on: April 28, 2014, 09:37:09 AM »
Yeah, the ending really had me scratching my head.  I need to rewatch it. 

We'll see what happens, I guess.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1656 on: April 28, 2014, 10:38:29 AM »
My guess is that they're changing things because they know that Martin probably won't finish the novels before they catch up to him, so they're sowing the seeds now to allow the show to eventually deviate permanently from the books and allow it to draw its own conclusion separate from the books.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1657 on: April 28, 2014, 10:43:18 AM »
I've really lost interest in the show. I'm loving the books and am halfway through 4, but the show couldn't possibly be less interesting to me. I mean, I absolutely love the casting, the direction, the music, the world...but something about the way they tell the story bores the fuck outta me. And we all know how boring fuck is.

But really, I have forced myself through S2 and was rewarded with a spectacular finale...only to be disappointed by the little king's death, which was so completely underwhelming it wasn't even funny. Yeah, push the boundaries with how many tits you can get on the screen, but don't allow one of the most beautifully developed and equally hated, wretched characters in existence to have his deserved death... It's a bad joke. The show has just been so hopelessly up and down. There's times when I think it can surpass what the books have created, and other times that I wonder what the flying fuck the creative team is smoking when they throw us through the ringer like they did this recent end to this episode.

It's just too jumbled and unfinished for me. Martin has his mistakes, the obvious being his own jarring way of telling the story, supposedly one which I haven't read yet but know of due to its infamous nature. But the books have the luxury of my infinite, amazing imagination that cannot possibly be matched by anything tangible. The show is so much more limited, it can't afford to make the mistakes that Martin has in the books. Which they have thus far. I like the show, but for the life of me I can't get into it like many people have (granted, most of the fans that I've spoken to haven't read the books...dunno how this statistic holds overall though).

Whatevs, I still enjoy it, but my reading the books before the show kind of set my expectations through the roof, and with the hype this show got, I kind of kept those expectations only to be a bit let down (though not a first). I'll continue watching and I'm sure enjoy it, though. I just hope it doesn't get any more jumbled than it has, a bit more concise with the perspectives and timelines. What worries me is that it's just going to become harder to do as they progress since it's obvious they're going to surpass Martin's timeline.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1658 on: April 28, 2014, 12:49:27 PM »
Fucking awesome episode. You have probably noticed that I'm #teamwhitewalkers, so that ending was really really interesting. The rest was amazing as usual, but that topped it all.

Dany's scenes were really cool too. That shot of her on the top of the great pyramid was cool, real movie like. And also, isn't there a valyrian road in Mereen? Or from Mereen? It would be cool to see that sometime.

EDIT: Also, the post above is why I don't read the books until after the show. Guaranteed double enjoyment.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 01:27:20 PM by BlackInk »

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1659 on: April 28, 2014, 02:16:59 PM »
Well, I can't be faulted for not being able to predict that they'd make a show about it, now can I?  :lol

Otherwise I agree, I try to predict now whether a new book series will be adapted into a movie/TV show since it's become so popular to do so in the past decade (I should say, ridiculously so recently...since it's been going on a while now).

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1660 on: April 28, 2014, 05:02:13 PM »
In my case, if the books are going to be adapted doesn't factor at all in my decision of reading them or not.

And in regards to the GoT, I think D&D do the best they can with the limitations of the medium and I've enjoyed (and even been surprised) by the changes they've made to the source material. Though I am very interested to see how they handled things after this season since they'll be in full AFfC/ADwD territory.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1661 on: April 28, 2014, 05:35:38 PM »
My guess is that they're changing things because they know that Martin probably won't finish the novels before they catch up to him, so they're sowing the seeds now to allow the show to eventually deviate permanently from the books and allow it to draw its own conclusion separate from the books.

Martin already told D&D how the story ends. They won't deviate.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1662 on: April 28, 2014, 06:24:57 PM »
Of course they will, they have to to make it fit their story.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1663 on: April 28, 2014, 06:28:56 PM »

Martin already told D&D how the story ends. They won't deviate.

I'm aware of that, but I could see them making a similar, but different ending to the series if need be.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1664 on: April 28, 2014, 08:13:30 PM »
Man, this episode was like 90% new stuff. I knew it was going to happen eventually (because Martin lol) but it was still jarring. Still, a significant step up from last weeks and finally, FINALLY we get to see the real Others and not the chilly zombies that we've only seen before.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1665 on: April 28, 2014, 09:56:17 PM »
I think they've done a fantastic job with Jamie's character...the way he's pretty much turned a 180. I went from despising the character to next to Tyrion, he's possibly my favorite.

Daneyreus is ruthless.  :metal I love it.

I don't know if any other parents had as hard a time listening to that baby cry the 'I'm scared and hurt' cry....not the "I'm hungry cry" as I did, but there is a difference in the two and they were able to capture the correct one for those scenes. It was brutal for me for some reason, on top of just thinking of a baby left out in the cold like that.

I'm curious as to if that baby being 'touched' by a being that wasn't as decayed as the Walkers we've seen.....he had more skin and a more organic feel....I'm curious as to if that's what that baby would grow in to?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1666 on: April 29, 2014, 05:48:32 AM »
Absolutely!

I watched the episode last night. I had to turn the sound down. I'm generally not the crying sort at movies, tv shows etc. Things may put a lump in my throat, but listening to that baby cry was making me teary eyed. Not nice to listen to. God knows how they recorded it :-/
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1667 on: April 29, 2014, 10:45:46 AM »
Well, everytime they show the White Walkers they look more human and less decrepit and wrinkled. Compared the ones from the pilot to the others shown.

I don't know if that means that, symbolically, they're gaining strength or that they're different castes of them.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1668 on: April 29, 2014, 12:25:34 PM »
I was kind of annoyed with the final 20 minutes of the episode because it's not at all in the books, but when thinking about it, it's actually pretty good. Bran book and show are almost fully caught up so they needed him to do something, Jon at this point in the book isn't doing anything that makes for good tv so might as well have him do something and then the mutineer stuff well I guess it gives us more bad guys to hate. I'm interested to see how it plays out in the end and to see if the end result deviates from the books. Also Locke at the wall is an added bonus because we don't know what he is up to but a lot of people think he will merge characters with another NW member.

As for the white walkers, I thought it was cool to see and I don't think it's a huge spoiler other than a visual of the land of always winter and that they can turn babies into white walkers. There's still tons of questions about them.  I also think we aren't going to get another glimpse this season, buts that's just my opinion.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1669 on: April 29, 2014, 01:56:11 PM »
I was kind of annoyed with the final 20 minutes of the episode because it's not at all in the books, but when thinking about it, it's actually pretty good. Bran book and show are almost fully caught up so they needed him to do something, Jon at this point in the book isn't doing anything that makes for good tv so might as well have him do something and then the mutineer stuff well I guess it gives us more bad guys to hate. I'm interested to see how it plays out in the end and to see if the end result deviates from the books. Also Locke at the wall is an added bonus because we don't know what he is up to but a lot of people think he will merge characters with another NW member.

As for the white walkers, I thought it was cool to see and I don't think it's a huge spoiler other than a visual of the land of always winter and that they can turn babies into white walkers. There's still tons of questions about them.  I also think we aren't going to get another glimpse this season, buts that's just my opinion.

I'm not sure there's room for another character to be merged with Locke...he's practically the entire troop of the Bloody Mummers all rolled into one now!  :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1670 on: April 29, 2014, 01:58:27 PM »
I'm still mad he doesn't have a lisp, though.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1671 on: April 29, 2014, 02:04:58 PM »
Yes, the removal of Vargo Hoat (and Shagwell the Fool for that matter) as a character is one of the more disappointing choices for me as a fan of the novels. I will say, they've still done a good job of using the remaining villains effectively as motivations for the central characters.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1672 on: April 29, 2014, 02:38:12 PM »

I'm not sure there's room for another character to be merged with Locke...he's practically the entire troop of the Bloody Mummers all rolled into one now!  :lol

One idea (spoilers), I read the forums on westeros.org so I dont come up with these ideas myself...

Bowen Marsh, since he stabs Jon at the end of ADWD or he could just end up getting killed at Crasters, but if he survives crasters then I would bet he gets real close to Jon and then stabs him in the back right after he announces he is going to take on the Boltons (see the connection?)

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1673 on: April 29, 2014, 09:44:12 PM »
I'm wondering if Locke's buddy-buddy routine with Snow is all ruse or if there's a blossoming bromance in the works there. Might make things a bit more interesting if Locke actually takes a liking to Snow. I'm kinda hoping he doesn't bite it at Craster's Keep.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1674 on: April 30, 2014, 03:20:02 AM »
I'm kinda hoping he doesn't bite it at Craster's Keep.

Well, if we know GRRM...

Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1675 on: April 30, 2014, 06:47:58 AM »
I'm wondering if Locke's buddy-buddy routine with Snow is all ruse or if there's a blossoming bromance in the works there. Might make things a bit more interesting if Locke actually takes a liking to Snow. I'm kinda hoping he doesn't bite it at Craster's Keep.

Thats a feeling I got.  He is going into the NW with the idea of getting info out of Jon, but ends up doing something at Craster's keep that saves his life or something else that ends up getting them really close with an eventual betrayal.  Who knows, even the book readers cant say they know how this all plays out.

Offline bertoltus

• Reign on, you crazy tyrant!
« Reply #1676 on: April 30, 2014, 01:20:52 PM »
Didn't Roose Bolton task Locke with looking for Bran and Rickon? And I think Locke overheard Sam and Jon talking about Bran being beyond the Wall...

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1677 on: April 30, 2014, 01:56:50 PM »
Didn't Roose Bolton task Locke with looking for Bran and Rickon? And I think Locke overheard Sam and Jon talking about Bran being beyond the Wall...

Yes, that's the way I saw it unfold.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #1678 on: May 03, 2014, 04:04:16 AM »

One idea (spoilers), I read the forums on westeros.org so I dont come up with these ideas myself...

Bowen Marsh, since he stabs Jon at the end of ADWD or he could just end up getting killed at Crasters, but if he survives crasters then I would bet he gets real close to Jon and then stabs him in the back right after he announces he is going to take on the Boltons (see the connection?)

This is most likely what is going to happen. Good thinkin'  :tup
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1679 on: May 04, 2014, 10:05:55 AM »
Someone else suspecting that Grey Worm might be Missandei's brother?