Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 639459 times)

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #1610 on: April 20, 2014, 07:05:37 AM »
I hope we get to see Dany live up to her 'Unburnt' title some more soon. We haven't really seen any signs of those qualities since the season one finale.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #1611 on: April 20, 2014, 09:26:38 AM »
Because it isn't a "quality". It's just a one-time thing that happened.

Granny: Do Targaryens become immune to fire once they "bond" to their dragons?

George_RR_Martin: Granny, thanks for asking that. It gives me a chance to clear up a common misconception. TARGARYENS ARE NOT IMMUNE TO FIRE! The birth of Dany's dragons was unique, magical, wonderous, a miracle. She is called The Unburnt because she walked into the flames and lived. But her brother sure as hell wasn't immune to that molten gold.

Revanshe: So she won't be able to do it again?

George_RR_Martin: Probably not.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1612 on: April 20, 2014, 10:25:35 AM »
Because it isn't a "quality". It's just a one-time thing that happened.

Granny: Do Targaryens become immune to fire once they "bond" to their dragons?

George_RR_Martin: Granny, thanks for asking that. It gives me a chance to clear up a common misconception. TARGARYENS ARE NOT IMMUNE TO FIRE! The birth of Dany's dragons was unique, magical, wonderous, a miracle. She is called The Unburnt because she walked into the flames and lived. But her brother sure as hell wasn't immune to that molten gold.

Revanshe: So she won't be able to do it again?

George_RR_Martin: Probably not.

But we also saw her go into the steaming hot water in season 1 episode 1 as well as touch the hot dragon eggs in another episode in season 1.  So it GRRM saying that now that the dragons have hatched, she is not longer immune to fire/extreme heat?

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1613 on: April 20, 2014, 10:46:35 AM »
Since none of those things I remember happening in the book, I'm gonna go ahead and say it was a way for the series to show the audience that Dany walking into the pyre wasn't such a lunatic idea.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1614 on: April 20, 2014, 10:58:02 AM »
Since none of those things I remember happening in the book, I'm gonna go ahead and say it was a way for the series to show the audience that Dany walking into the pyre wasn't such a lunatic idea.

I thought the hot bath was in the book.  Maybe I am wrong though.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1615 on: April 20, 2014, 11:07:16 AM »
I knew Visearys was never immune, since the "ouch" when Doreah poured hot wax on his chest, but I did think that Dany perminantly was. At least that's how they made it seem like in the show since, like mentioned above, she did it three times during season 1.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1616 on: April 20, 2014, 11:55:41 AM »
I knew Visearys was never immune, since the "ouch" when Doreah poured hot wax on his chest, but I did think that Dany perminantly was. At least that's how they made it seem like in the show since, like mentioned above, she did it three times during season 1.

Yea Visearys definitely did not have that power and Dany even says it in the show after Drogo pours the molten gold on his head, she says something along the lines of "a dragon cannot die from fire" because Visearys always called himself a dragon.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1617 on: April 20, 2014, 12:08:37 PM »
There is a bath scene in the book, but (IIRC) it doesn't go like the show scene goes. There's servants bathing her and telling her she's so lucky to marry a guy (Drogo) so powerful and rich even his slaves wear golden collars, but no allusions to her being immune to heat.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1618 on: April 20, 2014, 12:14:27 PM »
I believe both all of those instances never occurred in the books. The show was simply playing it up so that the events at the end of Season 1 wouldn't seem to come out of nowhere.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1619 on: April 20, 2014, 12:53:05 PM »
Ah, I watched the show before the book so I sometimes get them mixed.  I probably read the bath scene and was thinking about how the water was really hot then and just remembered wrong then.  Good to know.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1620 on: April 21, 2014, 04:32:18 AM »
Great episode. Of course, next to last weeks ending, most things would not be as exciting once compared to that. But this one did a great job, of both showing some action and building up some interesting stories.

And holy shit the walls of Mereen were huge. At first I didn't see how large those statues at the gate were, but then I saw the tiny people moving above, and it was even more awesome. Really impressive city.

Also loved Tywin's "good king" speech to Tommen, great stuff. And I also look forward to seeing more of Tommen himself.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 07:12:10 AM by BlackInk »

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #1621 on: April 21, 2014, 06:40:05 AM »
I liked the episode!

As always, Tywin's presence in itself is an highlight for me, let alone his monologues! What a scene with Tommen in the Sept!
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1622 on: April 21, 2014, 10:40:34 AM »
Yea Tywin is great, his scene with Oberyn was also pretty awesome.  Kind of surprised that Tywin at least appeared to be serious about the dragons now.  Not sure if thats part of his plot to get close with Oberyn, but last season he seemed to be pretty clear when talking to Joffrey that he thought the dragons were not much of a threat at that point.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1623 on: April 21, 2014, 10:42:29 AM »
I think that was just his way to show Oberyn that he (and Dorne) is needed and important. Doesn't mean he necessarily believes that.

Tywin and Tommen scene was really great, I loved it. Jaime and Cersei though, not so much. Overall I think the episode was decent, but I liked the first two better.

By the way I'm not native English speaker, but Littlefinger's voice sounds more ridiculous every season, I also suppose he changed his accent a bit. I doubt I would recognize him without the video if I compared his speech in this episode with his season 1 voice.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1624 on: April 21, 2014, 10:49:39 AM »
Well, the actor is Irish, and he's sounding more and more so every season for some reason.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1625 on: April 21, 2014, 11:04:36 AM »
I think putting an accent on the dragon threat was a double-edged move from Tywin. I'm sure Oberyn would just throw himself in his late sister's sister in law with little hesitation just to topple the Lannisters on the throne, should she ever come to Westeros in Oberyn's lifetime.
- Marco

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1626 on: April 21, 2014, 12:09:49 PM »
I really disliked the Jaime/Cersei sex/rape.  I dont recall that being rape in the books although she was kind of turned off by him when he returned with one hand, but I dont recall it coming off as rape, just her not so interested but goes along.  The show made it look like she wanted nothing to do with it and it kind of hurts Jaime's character because he spent all last season becoming a more likeable guy.

As for Petyrs accent.  I didnt notice (maybe because I was watcing a poor stream on HBGOGO in my hotel room) but there's a lot of talk about how his accent keeps changing on westeros.org

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1627 on: April 21, 2014, 12:33:37 PM »
Didn't notice Littlefinger's accent change. And I was fine with the Jaime/Cersei scene, although I obviously didn't like what he did. And I couldn't really decide how much Cersei consented to it. I mean yeah, the repeated "stop it"s were pretty clear, but she definetely returned the kisses, quite passionately. But yeah, she most likely didn't want it more than she wanted it.

And while this was a step down for the likeability of Jaime's character, I don't think it's a step down in interesting..ness..

EDIT: And also, I hope we sometime get to see Barristan in action. So far we've only heard praise about how much of an amazing fighter he is, along with several moments now when he almost fights.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 12:53:50 PM by BlackInk »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1628 on: April 21, 2014, 01:00:46 PM »
Didn't notice Littlefinger's accent change. And I was fine with the Jaime/Cersei scene, although I obviously didn't like what he did. And I couldn't really decide how much Cersei consented to it. I mean yeah, the repeated "stop it"s were pretty clear, but she definetely returned the kisses, quite passionately. But yeah, she most likely didn't want it more than she wanted it.

And while this was a step down for the likeability of Jaime's character, I don't think it's a step down in interesting..ness..

EDIT: And also, I hope we sometime get to see Barristan in action. So far we've only heard praise about how much of an amazing fighter he is, along with several moments now when he almost fights.

lol, Barristan makes me laugh when he says he will fight.  He looks like he has a belly and is old, I couldnt imagine him fighting a champion in reality.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1629 on: April 21, 2014, 01:12:46 PM »
Pretty cool episode. Tywin was the boss as usual. I wonder if he actually believes Tyrion killed his grandson?

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1630 on: April 21, 2014, 01:46:18 PM »
lol, Barristan makes me laugh when he says he will fight.  He looks like he has a belly and is old, I couldnt imagine him fighting a champion in reality.

Which would make it so much cooler if he steps up and actually kicks ass.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1631 on: April 21, 2014, 05:41:18 PM »
Well, the actor is Irish, and he's sounding more and more so every season for some reason.

He'll always be Mayor Carcetti to me.

Offline FracturedMirror

« Reply #1632 on: April 21, 2014, 06:29:43 PM »

Barristan the character definitely could; don't know about the actor because we haven't seen him in any fight scenes yet on the show.  But when Barristan told the other Kingsguard members that he could still cut through them all like carving a cake he was speaking the truth.  Book Barristan is quite the badass when it comes to swordfighting and combat, . 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1633 on: April 21, 2014, 06:38:15 PM »

Barristan the character definitely could; don't know about the actor because we haven't seen him in any fight scenes yet on the show.  But when Barristan told the other Kingsguard members that he could still cut through them all like carving a cake he was speaking the truth.  Book Barristan is quite the badass when it comes to swordfighting and combat, .

Agreed.  Maybe it was the armor, but season 1 Barristan looked the part, the Barristan now looks old, shruggish, and really hasnt added to anything. 

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1634 on: April 21, 2014, 09:34:29 PM »
Aidan Gillen has always been one of the weak links in the cast to me. I always get the kind of vague hint from his performances that he just doesn't give a fuck. It certainly doesn't help that he's usually saddled with some of the worst material in the show. This one scene was probably the worst. His creeping accent and Batman-rasp just made him sound ridiculous. No idea who thought that was a good idea.

Not a bad actor certainly but, considering the character, it's a shame I'm usually underwhelmed by his portrayal.

As for Barristan, he doesn't have much to do in the books at this juncture, but in the show it's a lot more noticeable that he's done nothing but stand around in the background for a season and a half.  Hopefully the showrunners invent something for him to do by season's end other than offer advice. :)

This wasn't a bad episode. Kinda slow, but considering what happened in the last two episodes, it's a bit understandable. I just hope that they didn't blow their wad early and the rest of the season is just a slow, plodding march towards the inevitable OMFG episodes 9 and 10 conclusion.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1635 on: April 21, 2014, 10:25:17 PM »
Nah, it won't.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1636 on: April 22, 2014, 09:48:53 AM »
I haven't read the books so I don't know the level of importance......but to me any scene with the fat Castle Black guardsman and the chic with the small baby is nothing but a waste of time that they could be spending on a more relevant, interesting storyline. There was easily 10 minutes of the last episode dedicated to them and it was utterly boring and useless.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1637 on: April 22, 2014, 09:55:07 AM »
I haven't read the books so I don't know the level of importance......but to me any scene with the fat Castle Black guardsman and the chic with the small baby is nothing but a waste of time that they could be spending on a more relevant, interesting storyline. There was easily 10 minutes of the last episode dedicated to them and it was utterly boring and useless.

Sam is a major character of the series, I'm sorry for you if you don't like his storyline so far.
- Marco

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1638 on: April 22, 2014, 10:47:56 AM »

Sam is a major character of the series, I'm sorry for you if you don't like his storyline so far.

Yeah, it hasn't really done anything for me yet. Easily my least favorite 'story' of the show.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1639 on: April 22, 2014, 11:03:16 AM »

While Sam's story is fine for me, his scenes in the last episode made little sense to me.  I understand her being at Castle Black isn't safe, but I got to think it's safe than Moles Town especially since they know the wildlings are raiding south of the wall.  You'd think Sam would realize bringing her to a village (besides the fact that its a whore village) is a terrible idea. 

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1640 on: April 25, 2014, 07:04:05 AM »
That's my opinion as well, but let's see how things evolve. The writers may decide to have her interact with the wildling raiders coming up to Castle Black to spice up her story for this season.
- Marco

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1641 on: April 25, 2014, 08:48:29 AM »
That's my opinion as well, but let's see how things evolve. The writers may decide to have her interact with the wildling raiders coming up to Castle Black to spice up her story for this season.

True.  Ill definitely save my final opinion on the matter until we see how it plays out, but no doubt it seemed to make little sense.  They are obviously adding a lot more storylines into whats going on at the wall this season... the Thenns/Locke heading to the Wall/Jon potentially leading a group to Crasters/Gilly to Molestown/Bran's story may take a detuour too

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1642 on: April 25, 2014, 01:09:35 PM »
One thing which came to mind just now, will Essos be threatened at all if the Others breached the Wall?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1643 on: April 25, 2014, 02:57:15 PM »
One thing which came to mind just now, will Essos be threatened at all if the Others breached the Wall?

Not sure but from ADWD (maybe spoiler, but not huge storywise):

In a letter sent to castle back from nights watch north of the wall, they say the walkers are in the water too (may be or may not be important because we have no other info than they can go into the water and also not sure how that would play out in the show)

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1644 on: April 25, 2014, 04:08:37 PM »
Essos has the shadow beyond Asshai, which I think may play a role in future books and seasons. To each continent its own monster/spirit/whatever-they-are.
- Marco