Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 639545 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #1575 on: April 16, 2014, 01:09:09 PM »
Well, technically he could just get his comfort from Jeyne and leave her and her family there (I'm speaking of book version now), going back to his army. The Freys wouldn't need to know anything, he can still marry the Frey girl of his choice and everyone is happy.

However, because of his honor, he now was bound to marry Jeyne, which he did, which pissed off the Freys.

The show version doesn't show that, it's just kinda like "oh there's that amputator-girl from Volantis named Talisa, she's also cute, let's marry each other".

(I think it's alright to compare the book and the show as all these events have already happened in the show too)

But that also is not honorable of him to do, just like Ned was always hammered for having a bastard.  But yes, that would have been a better way to handle the situation in reality so he could keep his oath and also keep his lover. 

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1576 on: April 16, 2014, 01:29:56 PM »
Well, technically he could just get his comfort from Jeyne and leave her and her family there (I'm speaking of book version now), going back to his army. The Freys wouldn't need to know anything, he can still marry the Frey girl of his choice and everyone is happy.

However, because of his honor, he now was bound to marry Jeyne, which he did, which pissed off the Freys.

The show version doesn't show that, it's just kinda like "oh there's that amputator-girl from Volantis named Talisa, she's also cute, let's marry each other".

(I think it's alright to compare the book and the show as all these events have already happened in the show too)

But that also is not honorable of him to do, just like Ned was always hammered for having a bastard.  But yes, that would have been a better way to handle the situation in reality so he could keep his oath and also keep his lover.

I agree that the most honorable thing Robb could have done was to live up to his commitment to the Frey's, it came first. I'm certain that Ned would have told him the same thing.

I think one of Robb's motivations for marrying Jeyne/Talisa was the flack that Ned got for John Snow--which is pretty ironic because it's nearly certain that Ned never fathered John in the first place. His unfailing honor wouldn't let him betray the promise to Lyanna that he would keep her secret. Nevermind that it made Ned look hypocritical/dis-honorable on the surface. He took that little secret with him to the grave thanks to Joffrey.

Ned's troubles somewhat mirrored Ser Jaime's too. Once you know everything that Jaime witnessed he was pretty much honorbound to kill Aerys to save the King's Landing regardless of what it did to his personal reputation.

That's one of the best thing about the Song of Ice and Fire series: All the gray areas make for more colorful characters. Fun stuff.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1577 on: April 16, 2014, 01:31:44 PM »
Well, Jaime pretty much nails it with his "so many vows" speech.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1578 on: April 16, 2014, 01:36:02 PM »
Just so everyone knows what Evermind is talking about.

"So many vows...they make you swear and swear. Defend the king. Obey the king. Keep his secrets. Do his bidding. Your life for his. But obey your father. Love your sister. Protect the innocent. Defend the weak. Respect the gods. Obey the laws. It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or the other.”
― Ser Jaime Lannister
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1579 on: April 16, 2014, 01:58:51 PM »
Yup that states it perfectly, it's impossible to keep all your vows when there's that many and all the gray areas the characters face is what makes the books/show so awesome.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #1580 on: April 16, 2014, 06:14:46 PM »
The show added a line to that makes it more perfect. Something along the lines of: "Protect the innocent, obey the king. But what if your king wants to kill the innocent?"
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1581 on: April 16, 2014, 08:42:23 PM »
Is this how the poisoning really went down? I mean, for those of you who've read the books....does this theory hold true? I've not read the books but I assumed immediately that lady Olenna was involved, or at least her family but I thought it was the pie that was poisoned. Anyway, I thought this was neat.

https://imgur.com/a/2DtPH
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1582 on: April 17, 2014, 02:21:46 AM »
Is this how the poisoning really went down? I mean, for those of you who've read the books....does this theory hold true? I've not read the books but I assumed immediately that lady Olenna was involved, or at least her family but I thought it was the pie that was poisoned. Anyway, I thought this was neat.

Very believable. Particularly as the poison crystals that cause asphysxiation have been in the stories since the beginning of a Clash of Kings/Season 2, where Maester Cressen tries to poison Melisandre with them.

If so, then I like the Tyrells even more.

In a related matter, I've now made a start on A Clash of Kings. Very slowly catching up with the TV show.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1583 on: April 17, 2014, 05:55:19 AM »

Basically yes, only it was a hairnet with purple amethysts, not a necklace. Olenna took a stone from it fixing Sansa's hair which went loose because of wind (or so Olenna said :P). Though in the book, Dontos gave Sansa the hairnet weeks or months before the wedding, and specifically told her to wear it if she wanted to escape from KL
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 09:20:42 AM by Evermind »

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #1584 on: April 17, 2014, 07:54:08 AM »
I just had a little party at my home because of the last seconds of the last episode.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1585 on: April 17, 2014, 07:59:34 AM »

Basically yes, only it was a hairnet with purple amethysts, not a necklace. Olenna took a stone from it fixing Sansa's hair which went loose because of wind (or so Olenna said :P). Though in the book, Dontos gave Sansa the hairnet weeks or months before the wedding, and specifically told her to wear it if she wanted to escape from KL.

Let us not forget Littlefinger's role in this.   ;)

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #1586 on: April 17, 2014, 08:18:21 AM »
Maybe it'd be worthwhile putting spoiler tags around discussions of who is behind last episode's events (even if it's just something found online, since there's a distinct possibility it could be info from the books)...

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1587 on: April 17, 2014, 08:35:17 AM »

Basically yes, only it was a hairnet with purple amethysts, not a necklace. Olenna took a stone from it fixing Sansa's hair which went loose because of wind (or so Olenna said :P). Though in the book, Dontos gave Sansa the hairnet weeks or months before the wedding, and specifically told her to wear it if she wanted to escape from KL.

make it smaller and use strikethru, PLEASE

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1588 on: April 17, 2014, 09:17:48 AM »
Yea a lot of that discussion is spoiler IMO, you aren't supposed to know how it went down yet!

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1589 on: April 17, 2014, 09:33:33 AM »

Very believable. Particularly as the poison crystals that cause asphysxiation have been in the stories since the beginning of a Clash of Kings/Season 2, where Maester Cressen tries to poison Melisandre with them.

If so, then I like the Tyrells even more.

In a related matter, I've now made a start on A Clash of Kings. Very slowly catching up with the TV show.

Basically yes, only it was a hairnet with purple amethysts, not a necklace. Olenna took a stone from it fixing Sansa's hair which went loose because of wind (or so Olenna said :P). Though in the book, Dontos gave Sansa the hairnet weeks or months before the wedding, and specifically told her to wear it if she wanted to escape from KL

Thanks for the insight............and I'm sorry to have 'spoiled' anything if I did. From what I could tell, this whole thread is full of discussions outside of the TV show that involve the books and it appeared that most everyone had read the books and 'know' what's going on (I haven't) so I didn't really stipulate 'SPOILER'. My bad.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1590 on: April 17, 2014, 10:44:26 AM »
No, that's my fault. Next time any little thing I'll write about the books will be in size 1 and with [*s] tags. Or if you want to get some information from the books, you can also PM me.

Sorry if I ruined anyone's experience.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1591 on: April 17, 2014, 12:02:49 PM »
I don't think discussing the books needs small print as long as its already happened on the show.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1592 on: April 17, 2014, 12:03:47 PM »
I don't think discussing the books needs small print as long as its already happened on the show.

Problem was, it hasn't really happened in the show. Or, it at least hasn't been revealed to the audience.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1593 on: April 17, 2014, 12:07:20 PM »

Problem was, it hasn't really happened in the show. Or, it at least hasn't been revealed to the audience.

Yea well you don't need to apologize to me because I read the books, but yea the whole who killed him may be a mystery in the show, not sure how they will play it out or if they will just tell us next episode but the clues are there and if you pay really close attention you can see who is involved.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1594 on: April 17, 2014, 12:19:53 PM »
Come on, already.  If you haven't figured out that Hodor did it, you haven't been paying attention.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1595 on: April 17, 2014, 12:20:07 PM »

Yep, I answered because I was asked and I made it smaller. I thought if you guys see the smaller text than usual, you automatically skip it because spoilers, but apparently not. No worries, I won't do that again.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1596 on: April 17, 2014, 02:53:57 PM »
Please discussion of events in the book that have not yet taken place in the TV show in the Song of Ice and Fire thread: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=4956.175

There are a LOT of people who watch the show but don't read the books.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1597 on: April 17, 2014, 03:44:20 PM »
I can't remember where the hell I found this, but check it: https://quartermaester.info

It's a map of Westeros with all the "paths" of each character's journey.

Warning: Possible spoilers, depending on how you slide the scale.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1598 on: April 17, 2014, 03:51:54 PM »
I can't remember where the hell I found this, but check it: https://quartermaester.info

It's a map of Westeros with all the "paths" of each character's journey.

Warning: Possible spoilers, depending on how you slide the scale.

Wow thats awesome, thanks for sharing. I dont know why I thought slaver's bay was more north.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1599 on: April 17, 2014, 05:30:24 PM »
Please discussion of events in the book that have not yet taken place in the TV show in the Song of Ice and Fire thread: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=4956.175

There are a LOT of people who watch the show but don't read the books.

Thank you!

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1600 on: April 18, 2014, 04:42:52 AM »
And what about the more than 40 messages that Aemon had Sam send? Was Stannis really the only recipient of one of these messages? There has been absolutely no other mention of them elsewhere.

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #1601 on: April 18, 2014, 08:19:39 AM »
And what about the more than 40 messages that Aemon had Sam send? Was Stannis really the only recipient of one of these messages? There has been absolutely no other mention of them elsewhere.

As you can probably surmise; he will end up having something to do with the Wall.  Its why the show only spends time with him regarding the letters.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1602 on: April 18, 2014, 10:13:14 AM »

As you can probably surmise; he will end up having something to do with the Wall.  Its why the show only spends time with him regarding the letters.

Likely everyone else disregards it sort of how Cersei disregarded the hand of the wight that was presented to her early on in the show.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1603 on: April 18, 2014, 12:30:33 PM »
Hand of the what now?
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1604 on: April 18, 2014, 12:34:36 PM »
Hand of the dead dude that attacked Jeor Mormont in S1. Jon Snow defended him and chopped the dead dude's (wight's) hand and Thorne was sent to KL with this hand as a proof.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1605 on: April 18, 2014, 02:49:53 PM »
Hand of the dead dude that attacked Jeor Mormont in S1. Jon Snow defended him and chopped the dead dude's (wight's) hand and Thorne was sent to KL with this hand as a proof.

Yup, and Cersei disregarded it and laughed it off while Tyrion understood the seriousness.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1606 on: April 18, 2014, 10:09:14 PM »
Well, to be somewhat fair, the hand did decompose to the point that Thorne had no evidence to present. Even Tyrion was a bit dubious of the proof.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1607 on: April 19, 2014, 02:51:51 AM »
Well, to be somewhat fair, the hand did decompose to the point that Thorne had no evidence to present. Even Tyrion was a bit dubious of the proof.

Well, to be fair (there are no spoilers of what yet to come in the show, but I'm just being careful):
I don't remember it clearly, but I think in the show Thorne just showed up in court and that's it? Because in the books it was like:
Bronn to Tyrion: There's a man of the Night's Watch who wants to see you.
Tyrion: Oh, must be something serious, I think I should see him. It's not Yoren, by chance?
Bronn: Nah, it's some guy named Thorne.
Tyrion: Alliser Thorne? *thinks about how he doesn't like Alliser at all* Well, now I think of it, he might wait a week or two, find him some uncomfortable room.
And when Alliser finally shows up at court, he says the hand has rotten to pieces while he waited.

But in fact, that's maddening how no one takes the Night's Watch seriously. I think if Ned Stark was alive at this point, he would've believed Thorne. I mean the fucking zombies and ethereal creatures that are killing everybody are awakening after a very long time, and everyone just don't give a damn about it, laughing and thinking this is some kind of prank.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1608 on: April 19, 2014, 04:39:46 AM »
Is there a new episode Sunday?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1609 on: April 19, 2014, 05:21:04 AM »
Is there a new episode Sunday?
Yes.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.