Author Topic: In Retrospect - Album of the Year 2003 - Nomination Phase  (Read 8950 times)

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Re: In Retrospect - Album of the Year 2003 - Nomination Phase
« Reply #70 on: April 13, 2011, 07:39:33 AM »
I love Train of Thought and its my favourite from 2003, and definitely in my top 5 DT albums. The last 4 songs are great, but my favourite from the album is actually Endless Sacrifice. As I Am is pretty good. The only song I don't like too much is TDS, but its not horrible.

Totally agree. Endless Sack of Rice may be a top 10 DT song to me. I'll never get why people don't like it, it screams what DT is all about to me, and awesomely executed at that.

*flameshield*

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #71 on: April 13, 2011, 07:44:50 AM »
Endless Sacrifice for me has always been slightly hard to grasp.
I do enjoy the calmer parts (the verses for example), but the chorus doesn't really fit the song, and I really don't like the chorus that much either.
It also has some slightly annoying solo-sections, but then again that's just how I feel. :P

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2011, 07:52:12 AM »
I love Train of Thought and its my favourite from 2003, and definitely in my top 5 DT albums. The last 4 songs are great, but my favourite from the album is actually Endless Sacrifice. As I Am is pretty good. The only song I don't like too much is TDS, but its not horrible.

Totally agree. Endless Sack of Rice may be a top 10 DT song to me. I'll never get why people don't like it, it screams what DT is all about to me, and awesomely executed at that.

*flameshield*
Its very high on my list, I won't say where cause I want to do a DT top 50 and I don't wanna ruin it :) I will say however that its definitely in my top 10 :)

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #73 on: April 13, 2011, 08:03:53 AM »
Biffy Clyro - The Vertigo of Bliss
Funeral for a Friend - Casually Dressed and Deep in Conversation
Oceansize - Effloresce
No-Man - Together We're Stranger
Radiohead - Hail to the Thief

Honourable mentions to:
Aereogramme - Sleep and Release
Hell is for Heroes - The Neon Handshake
The Mars Volta - De-Loused in the Comatorium
Katatonia - Viva Emptiness
Opeth - Damnation
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #74 on: April 13, 2011, 09:08:38 AM »
St. Anger is great, I would actually put it on my list but I'm so lazy I can't even be bothered to remove another one.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: April 13, 2011, 09:54:27 AM »
1) Dream Theater - Train of Thought
2) Evergrey - Recreation Day
3) Sun Caged - Sun Caged
4) Wolverine - Cold Light of Monday
5) Iron Maiden - Dance of Death

-----

6) Bigelf - Hex
7) Anathema - A Natural Disaster
8) OSI - Office of Strategic Influence
9) Devin Townsend - Accelerated Evolution
10) The Mars Volta - De-Loused in the Comatorium
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: April 13, 2011, 10:01:29 AM »
Zantera, I'm not trying to force anyone to conform to my opinions.  I'm aware that music is subjective.  Considering how much people cite recent DT as their "decline," I'm just very surprised so many people are nominating it as one of the best albums of the year and I've explained why.  
Recent? People have been complaining about Dream Theater's "decline" since FII came out!

On this forum in general, people typically cite Six Degrees as the last "great" DT album, and typically everything from ToT-BC&SL has been considered anywhere from good to bad, but nothing close to earlier greatness.  That's just been the general attitude as far ever since I joined, as far as I can tell.  Not saying everyone thinks this, because I certainly don't, but there is quite a lot of dislike for the post-6DoiT material, so I'm just a bit surprised ToT is getting so many nominations for best album of 2003.

Offline rogerdil

« Reply #77 on: April 13, 2011, 03:34:27 PM »
Taal - Skymind
A.C.T - Last Epic
King Crimson - The Power to Believe
Absoluuttinen Nollapiste - Seitsemäs Sinetti   
Gary Wilson - Forgotten Lovers

Offline jsem

« Reply #78 on: April 13, 2011, 03:53:20 PM »
A.C.T - Last Epic
Another fan?

Amazing.  :hefdaddy

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #79 on: April 13, 2011, 04:00:01 PM »
1. Unexpect - We, Invaders
2. Thrice - The Artist in the Ambulance
3. SikTh - The Trees are Dead and Dried Out, Wait for Something Wild
4. Kayo Dot - Choirs of the Eye
5. The Mars Volta - De-Loused in the Comatorium

Muse and Opeth came close...

Offline rogerdil

« Reply #80 on: April 13, 2011, 04:01:45 PM »
A.C.T - Last Epic
Another fan?

Amazing.  :hefdaddy

Yes, of that particular album.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #81 on: April 13, 2011, 05:03:33 PM »
Zantera, I'm not trying to force anyone to conform to my opinions.  I'm aware that music is subjective.  Considering how much people cite recent DT as their "decline," I'm just very surprised so many people are nominating it as one of the best albums of the year and I've explained why.  
Recent? People have been complaining about Dream Theater's "decline" since FII came out!

On this forum in general, people typically cite Six Degrees as the last "great" DT album, and typically everything from ToT-BC&SL has been considered anywhere from good to bad, but nothing close to earlier greatness.  That's just been the general attitude as far ever since I joined, as far as I can tell.  Not saying everyone thinks this, because I certainly don't, but there is quite a lot of dislike for the post-6DoiT material, so I'm just a bit surprised ToT is getting so many nominations for best album of 2003.
Serious question here b/c I've only been around for a little over a year and don't know a lot of the history, but is it possible that the crowd of people who think DT's last peak was 6DOIT has simply been more vocal, rather than more numerous?

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #82 on: April 13, 2011, 05:09:34 PM »
St. Anger is great, I would actually put it on my list but I'm so lazy I can't even be bothered to remove another one.

St. Anger will never make a top of 2003 on any list. You can't even change your list in these nomination phases.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: April 13, 2011, 05:12:59 PM »
I think St Anger would be number 6 or 7 on my list, it just misses out on top 5.  It doesn't matter changing our lists anyway as it won't make the next round.  Such a great album, the DVD is killer, great bunch of songs, I've always said, St Anger >>>> Death Magnetic by miles!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #84 on: April 13, 2011, 05:15:42 PM »
I liked St. Anger back in the day, but I listened to it today and it made me cringe. And normally most music doesn't do that.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #85 on: April 13, 2011, 05:18:53 PM »
I think St Anger would be number 6 or 7 on my list, it just misses out on top 5.  It doesn't matter changing our lists anyway as it won't make the next round.  Such a great album, the DVD is killer, great bunch of songs, I've always said, St Anger >>>> Death Magnetic by miles!

I think it's as good as DM. I don't know what's better though. Hey how about that part in My World where after Het goes "ITS - MAH - WORLD. SUCKER" and then the riff right at that part, but then there's the other part of the song where Lars is on double bass for that part! So fucking brutally metal, it's tough on my balls.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #86 on: April 13, 2011, 05:23:12 PM »
Heavenly-Dust To Dust
Iron Maiden-Dance Of Death
Alice Cooper-The Eyes Of Alice Cooper
Dream Theater-Train Of Thought
Hammerfall-One Crimson Night
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: April 13, 2011, 05:23:53 PM »

I think it's as good as DM. I don't know what's better though. Hey how about that part in My World where after Het goes "ITS - MAH - WORLD. SUCKER" and then the riff right at that part, but then there's the other part of the song where Lars is on double bass for that part! So fucking brutally metal, it's tough on my balls.

One of my favourite parts; NOT ONLY DO I NOT KNOW THE ANSWER, I DON"T EVEN KNOW WHAT THE QUESTION IS!!!!!  HOLY SHIT!!!  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: April 13, 2011, 05:24:49 PM »
Hammerfall-One Crimson Night

That's a fantastic live concert.  I love the DVD, watched it so many ttimes. I still need to pick up the cd for the bonus tracks.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #89 on: April 13, 2011, 05:26:18 PM »

One of my favourite parts; NOT ONLY DO I NOT KNOW THE ANSWER, I DON"T EVEN KNOW WHAT THE QUESTION IS!!!!!  HOLY SHIT!!!  :metal

Man :lol I used to screw up those lyrics thinking he said "Not only do I know the answer, I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE QUESTION IS". Yep I know, doesn't make sense at all. But yeah bro, that part is one of my favourites :metal :yarr

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #90 on: April 14, 2011, 10:43:13 AM »
i wouldnt know if st anger's as good as death magnetic, having refused to spin DM. i assumed DM had to be better, for a plethora of reasons.

i'll agree to give it a spin sometime if lars pays for my metallica tattoo laser removal.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: April 14, 2011, 10:54:47 AM »

Serious question here b/c I've only been around for a little over a year and don't know a lot of the history, but is it possible that the crowd of people who think DT's last peak was 6DOIT has simply been more vocal, rather than more numerous?

I don't go into DT side too much anymore, but it seemed to be a plethora of users who agreed with that mentality, rather than just a loud few.  I mean, if it was just a few, I could probably name most of them.  Besides, I have a feeling a lot of those who shared that viewpoint moved on to 5/8.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #92 on: April 14, 2011, 08:51:50 PM »
Zantera, I'm not trying to force anyone to conform to my opinions.  I'm aware that music is subjective.  Considering how much people cite recent DT as their "decline," I'm just very surprised so many people are nominating it as one of the best albums of the year and I've explained why. 
I don't go into DT side too much anymore, but it seemed to be a plethora of users who agreed with that mentality, rather than just a loud few.  I mean, if it was just a few, I could probably name most of them.  Besides, I have a feeling a lot of those who shared that viewpoint moved on to 5/8.
Interesting.  My observation over the past year has been that, while there were of course a good many who slammed TOT, usually an equal amount of posters showed up to defend it.  Maybe I should make a poll...

« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 09:29:55 PM by contest_sanity »

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #93 on: April 14, 2011, 09:32:13 PM »
Just a quick new post to say that I made a poll about the above conversation concerning when DT's last great album occurred:

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=22160.msg846108#msg846108

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #94 on: April 15, 2011, 12:58:42 PM »
I made a followup to your poll in regards to Train of Thought specifically.

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=22173.0