Author Topic: Incubus  (Read 7961 times)

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
Incubus
« on: April 11, 2011, 01:37:32 PM »
New album is coming out soon, here is the new single:
https://soundcloud.com/incubus/adolescents

I wasn't too crazy about the last albums, decent songs here and there, but the sound scape in this one has a good feel, hope the rest are around this model. (the guitarist spaz fella says they are, and he studied the chord progressions alot so sounds good)
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Incubus
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 01:42:58 PM »
I liked the last CD a lot.  I think they sound better live.  Not too many bands can say that & Brandon has a killer voice.  I've heard this new sound.  It's a bit similar to what they've done but it's still good.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 01:54:53 PM »
Is their newer stuff really worth getting? I have S.C.I.E.N.C.E., Make Yourself, and Morning View, but I like S.C.I.E.N.C.E. the best by far. It seems like they've gotten a lot poppier in recent years, though I've admittedly only heard the singles.

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 01:56:58 PM »
if you like the old stuff, skip the middle and get this new album coming out. nothing much to see in teh middle except a few songs like pantomime, and a couple of songs from crow.
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 02:02:52 PM »
I looooooved their early albums. I hope the next one is good!
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 02:11:48 PM »
I wasn't a big fan of Light Grenades to be honest.  Crow was pretty decent, but nothing can beat the amazing trilogy of S.C.I.E.N.C.E, Make Yourself and Morning View.

New song has a nice atmosphere and classic Incubus sound to it, but not crazy about it on first listen, I definitely admit it would be a grower of a song.  First day buyer nevertheless.  Anyone know the release date of the album?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 02:12:46 PM »
I AM A GUY
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 02:27:03 PM »
Thanks Letters.  Man, I can't believe Light Grenades came out 5 years ago!!  Where the hell does the time go.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 02:29:54 PM »
Yeah, I can't believe I've listened to them for so long compared to other bands... I picked them up around the time Crow was released.
I AM A GUY

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 02:36:20 PM »
I think I have been a fan since Morning View.  :eek

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 05:38:10 PM »
Is their newer stuff really worth getting? I have S.C.I.E.N.C.E., Make Yourself, and Morning View, but I like S.C.I.E.N.C.E. the best by far. It seems like they've gotten a lot poppier in recent years, though I've admittedly only heard the singles.

I enjoy the newer stuff as old, make sure to get Fungus Amoungus, which is one of the best first records from any band.

I like the new song and I have high hopes for the album, to me Incubus can never do much wrong with the exception of "A Crow . . ." which was terrible and had only one redeemable song in my opening.
Thanks Letters.  Man, I can't believe Light Grenades came out 5 years ago!!  Where the hell does the time go.

I remember moving into my first college apartment and my new roommate were listening to some Incubus and he pre-ordered the album to get advance ticket purchase to see them. Man, where does the time go :(

I wasn't too crazy about the last albums, decent songs here and there, but the sound scape in this one has a good feel, hope the rest are around this model. (the guitarist spaz fella says they are, and he studied the chord progressions alot so sounds good)

If I recall Mike went to Harvard to study composition in 2007 or 2008. He has some of my favorite guitar tones, great well rounded guitar player.

Offline j

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2011, 05:47:32 PM »
I like quite a few songs here and there from this band, but I think Morning View is a pretty bad album (I have no idea why it is considered one of their best), and the same goes for Crow if I recall correctly.  Light Grenades wasn't great, but I think it was better than either of those.

-J

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 05:51:52 PM »
Morning View is a pretty bad album

Wow....just....wow!

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2011, 06:31:58 PM »
Morning View is a pretty bad album

Wow....just....wow!

Yea I've never heard that, but hey if it doesn't do it for you it doesn't do it for you

Offline j

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2011, 07:55:45 PM »
Yeah I knew that would be an unpopular opinion, sorry guys. :lol

I really despise the singles (Wish You Were Here and Nice to Know You, which by the way sound like the same damn song to me) and I have ever since first hearing them.  Then I remember being fairly unimpressed with the rest of the album when I did get around to hearing it, and it didn't help that I went into it with a low opinion of those two songs from the outset.

For what it's worth, I do remember liking Aqueous Transmission a lot (that is on Morning View, right?).

-J

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2011, 11:00:52 PM »
For what it's worth, I do remember liking Aqueous Transmission a lot (that is on Morning View, right?).

Yes.

Anyway, Nice to Know You and Wish You Were Here are both in my top 10 Incubus songs.  Possibly, top 5.  Funny how different opinions can be!

Offline j

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2011, 11:54:24 PM »
^True dat.

It's not like I have an aversion to singles either.  Pardon Me and Dig would probably be in my top 10 Incubus songs, if I were to make a list.

-J

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2011, 12:01:39 AM »
Pardon Me would make my top 3.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2011, 09:42:29 PM »
I've been listening to the new album for a little bit and well, it's different. It's good but I'd rate the album second to worst (right about A Crow). The album is very held back.

The first half of the album reminds me of Elton John's 1995 Made In England album.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2011, 11:48:14 PM »
I've been listening to the new album for a little bit and well, it's different. It's good but I'd rate the album second to worst (right about A Crow). The album is very held back.

The first half of the album reminds me of Elton John's 1995 Made In England album.

Is this out already?

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2011, 11:58:04 PM »
New track is cool I think. It has something of the old good Incubus that I know from Morning View, Make Yourself or SCIENCE. These are my favourites by the way. Only one song from A Crow Left Of The Murder filled my head for longer but it just a touch ;) I hope that the newer stuff will have similar tracks to The Warmth, Pardon Me, Drive etc... Last two albums were so...hm weird ;)

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2011, 02:18:43 AM »
I really liked these guys up until A Crow Left Of The Murder. After that, they lost me. S.C.I.E.N.C.E. was a great album  :tup

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2011, 03:56:02 AM »
My old english teacher gave me a bunch of their albums a while back, but I've only listened to SCIENCE and Make Yourself. Both are great though.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2011, 05:17:59 AM »

Is this out already?

It's out if you know where to look ;)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2011, 06:37:16 PM »

Is this out already?

It's out if you know where to look ;)

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2011, 12:19:22 PM »
So has anyone else heard the 4-movement epic "The Odyssey" by these guys? I had the tracks and combined them into one track and it's a sprawling piece that covers a lot of musical ground that is out of the band's usual sound, and is VERY proggy over all, with sounds that remind me of King Crimson and Pink Floyd! It's a pretty good song and while I don't know much about this band, this piece is pretty amazing and shows off that they really know their stuff.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2011, 12:31:12 PM »
I like the first part "Follow" but the rest of it never really did anything for me.

Shame about If Not Now, When? I get what they were going for but the whole album was a real disappointment, which really sucks because I even loved Light Grenades.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2011, 02:30:03 PM »
Shame about If Not Now, When? I get what they were going for but the whole album was a real disappointment, which really sucks because I even loved Light Grenades.

Yeah, easily their worst record, just terrible.  LG is amazing though.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2011, 03:07:25 PM »
I don't think it's that bad of an album, I understand where they were going with it and I think they did a good job.

These guys are nearing their 40's, they can't be putting out Make Yourself and Morning View every record.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2011, 03:10:38 PM »
There's nothing wrong with making a chilled-out album, as long as the songs are good. And nothing on INN,W? was all that interesting. To me, of course. If you like it, more power to you.   :metal

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2013, 11:26:53 PM »
I'm necrobumping because I am a little bit drunk, and just came back from an Incubus concert. Sweet setlist, although with a lack of Stellar, Brandon voice was flawless, and HOLY SHIT THEY PLAYED THE WARMTH YOU SONS OF A BITCH, THEY PLAYED THE MOTHER FUCKING WARMTH :metal

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2013, 12:15:21 AM »
 :metal Always wanted to make it to an Incubus concert.

Was kind of depressing re-reading the topic and seeing how excited everyone was for the last album, though. :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2013, 04:05:01 AM »
I'm necrobumping because I am a little bit drunk, and just came back from an Incubus concert. Sweet setlist, although with a lack of Stellar, Brandon voice was flawless, and HOLY SHIT THEY PLAYED THE WARMTH YOU SONS OF A BITCH, THEY PLAYED THE MOTHER FUCKING WARMTH :metal

The Warmth is one of their best songs.  Shame they didn't play Stellar, that's one of their best too.  I wonder if these guys are planning on a new release.  Hopefully better than the last piece of crap.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2017, 06:46:41 PM »
Bumping this thread from the grave. Anyone check out their new song "Nimble Bastard"?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2017, 07:00:36 PM »
Nope buthe now I will!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC