Author Topic: What movies do you love/hate that everyone you know hates/loves?  (Read 7688 times)

Offline GuineaPig

Re: What movies do you love/hate that everyone you know hates/loves?
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2011, 02:52:54 PM »
Concerning Star Wars. I've never seen any of the original trilogy all the way through. I've seen the first half of each movie, but I always get dreadfully bored halfway though and can never finish them.

I actually prefer the prequels over the originals because they can hold my attention. Although, I completely understand why so many people prefer the originals. I just think the prequels are more enjoyable to watch.

inb4 someone quotes Guinea Pig in reference to my post

I'm not going to reply to this post, I'll just quote it every time I need to instantly debunk any of your arguments on any topic.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2011, 02:54:19 PM »
 :tup
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2011, 03:13:20 PM »
Concerning Star Wars. I've never seen any of the original trilogy all the way through. I've seen the first half of each movie, but I always get dreadfully bored halfway though and can never finish them.

I actually prefer the prequels over the originals because they can hold my attention. Although, I completely understand why so many people prefer the originals. I just think the prequels are more enjoyable to watch.

I'm fine w/ this and it makes perfect sense to me.  It goes back to what I said in my post, a lot of the "OT is god, PT is crap" stuff has to do with nostalgia and the age groups of the people making those claims.  A bunch of us were kids when the original movies were coming out, and we bought up all the toys and worshiped all things Star Wars.  Then we go to see Ep.I in '99 and are like "what's with this junk?  Lucas sold out, he's just making it for kids now and trying to sell toys."

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2011, 03:44:01 PM »

The first Indiana Jones is one of the worst movies I've ever seen (well, actually, I only got through about half of it). You'd have to be paying me good money or having sex with me to get me to watch any IJ again.

What the fuck is this shit.
The whole thing just felt like a clumsy collage of terribly employed cliches, to the point that there was nothing there but two-dimensional characters, plot, dialogue... basically, two-dimensonal 'film'. It was like a parody that was already awful, and then someone came along and took all the jokes out of it. Right up there with Catwoman in terms of pure suck.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2011, 03:45:47 PM »

Ganough.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2011, 03:58:50 PM »
I wouldn't say that it's nostalgia concerning the first SW movies, insomuch as they were just products of the era they were made in.  Movies back then didn't rely on eye candy to hold people's attention like they do now.  Those movies were much more character driven.  I'd also say that they weren't really aimed directly at kids.  I'd put them in the same category as Westerns were back then. 

Also, there's no way you could say that the original SW was made to sell toys to kids since that was a phenomenon that didn't exist prior to it's release.  None of us were collecting All the President's Men action figures back in 1976. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2011, 04:03:21 PM »
I wouldn't say that it's nostalgia concerning the first SW movies, insomuch as they were just products of the era they were made in.  Movies back then didn't rely on eye candy to hold people's attention like they do now.  Those movies were much more character driven.  I'd also say that they weren't really aimed directly at kids.  I'd put them in the same category as Westerns were back then. 

Also, there's no way you could say that the original SW was made to sell toys to kids since that was a phenomenon that didn't exist prior to it's release.  None of us were collecting All the President's Men action figures back in 1976. 

All true.  I guess I should clarify my point by first saying that I guess I was really referring to Empire & Jedi more so than the original.  I was born in '80 so Jedi was really my introduction to the series.  I guess my statement is this: the OT is better than the PT, but the OT is not infallible and the PT is not unwatchable.  Heck, I think I'd rather sit through Attack of the Clones than Avatar.  At least AOTC is Star Wars!

Offline TL

« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2011, 04:13:31 PM »
Here's a controversial opinion;

I didn't really like Taxi Driver. It certainly had its moments, and I'm definitely not saying it's a bad film; it's not. I can easily see why it was groundbreaking, and why it's important in the history of film. That said, I didn't really enjoy watching it.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2011, 04:15:45 PM »
I used to love Star Wars but now I realize that it kinda stinks.

I don't watch too many movies so I'm sure that any movies I love are already vastly popular.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2011, 04:38:02 PM »
I've seen Star Wars, and I don't even remember most of it, not did it particularly interest me.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2011, 04:50:45 PM »
I clicked on here knowing there was someone who hated Raiders of the Lost Ark and wondering if they were going to post that here. Nice to see they didn't disappoint.

Excellent point. Kids could watch SW for the fun and adventure of it, without needing to fully ‘get’ the deeper issues of the Rebellion, politics, etc… And SW Ep4 came out at exactly the right time. We were just getting out of Vietnam and Watergate, and the best movies on the first half of the 70s were very dark and heavy. 1976-77 brought us 2 very fun, stand-up-and-cheer movies in SW and Rocky. As good as The Godfather was, people didn’t stand up and cheer when Al Neri shuts the door on Kay.

And how cool would it be to be able to play Bernstein trying to get info out of the bookkeeper with action figures?! “GIMME THOSE NAMES, BITCH!” 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2011, 05:04:25 PM »
I clicked on here knowing there was someone who hated Raiders of the Lost Ark and wondering if they were going to post that here. Nice to see they didn't disappoint.

Excellent point. Kids could watch SW for the fun and adventure of it, without needing to fully ‘get’ the deeper issues of the Rebellion, politics, etc… And SW Ep4 came out at exactly the right time. We were just getting out of Vietnam and Watergate, and the best movies on the first half of the 70s were very dark and heavy. 1976-77 brought us 2 very fun, stand-up-and-cheer movies in SW and Rocky. As good as The Godfather was, people didn’t stand up and cheer when Al Neri shuts the door on Kay.

And how cool would it be to be able to play Bernstein trying to get info out of the bookkeeper with action figures?! “GIMME THOSE NAMES, BITCH!” 

That's kind of what I was saying too.  Star Wars, the original, was a movie that was meant to be fun.  But by the time the prequels rolled around Star Wars was more than just fun to a lot of people, it was serious business, so they raged when the prequels were just fun too (albeit a lot more dumbed-down and poorly written/acted fun).  All in all I realize now that my original post should have just been: "I like the Star Wars prequels even though everyone and their granny hates them.  Sorryaboutit."

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2011, 05:08:57 PM »
What I love about Star Wars is that very thing, that it's a product of its times, but by that I mean in the cultural-historical sense, thinking about where it's coming from when talking about the rise of the Empire and the Grand Old Republic. ;)
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2011, 11:10:40 PM »
I like
Mortal Kombat(Yes, Both) and spanglish

I don't like
TLOTR trilogy. BORING.
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline TL

« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2011, 12:43:31 AM »
I don't like
TLOTR trilogy. BORING.
I've never even seen the LOTR films. I've never had any interest in watching them.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2011, 02:41:17 AM »
I too have never gotten into LOTR.

I do enjoy the (first 3) Indiana Jones films though, especially Last Crusade.

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2011, 06:58:44 AM »
I like
Mortal Kombat(Yes, Both) and spanglish

I don't like
TLOTR trilogy. BORING.

:|

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2011, 07:01:22 AM »
I don't like
TLOTR trilogy. BORING.
I've never even seen the LOTR films. I've never had any interest in watching them.

Same.

I like Predator 2 and The Quick And The Dead. I don't like Princess Bride and I can't stand Nacho Libre or Napoleon Dynamite. Also, there are MANY animated films I enjoy more than the Toy Story series.

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2011, 07:03:33 AM »
I don't like
TLOTR trilogy. BORING.

Same.

I like Predator 2 and The Quick And The Dead. I don't like Princess Bride and I can't stand Nacho Libre or Napoleon Dynamite. Also, there are MANY animated films I enjoy more than the Toy Story series.

I'm with you on the Toy Story thing, I enjoy it but I prefer many of the other Pixar films to it.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2011, 07:12:49 AM »
Wow...there are some epic EPIC movies getting trashed in here.

I guess that was the theme though.

Fluffy....your opinion on the Indiana Jones movies....ok..I can kinda see it..but the movies you are describing....sound like the Alan Quartermain, or Mummy series of movies. IJ's aren't that cheezy or cliche. Yes, it's still a "smarter" Han Solo with a whip instead of a lazer pistol, but still. They're really really good.

As an "intermediate to low level expert" on the Lord of the Rings books....I found I was very comfortable with how they turned out in film. They weren't perfect but there was also 0% chance that they could ever be.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2011, 07:18:14 AM »
Yup it's never gonna be perfect when you turn a loved book like LOTR into a film, but I definitely think they did it justice.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2011, 08:22:33 AM »
That's kind of what I was saying too.  Star Wars, the original, was a movie that was meant to be fun.  But by the time the prequels rolled around Star Wars was more than just fun to a lot of people, it was serious business, so they raged when the prequels were just fun too (albeit a lot more dumbed-down and poorly written/acted fun).  All in all I realize now that my original post should have just been: "I like the Star Wars prequels even though everyone and their granny hates them.  Sorryaboutit."
I'm not sure that the prequils were supposed to be fun at all.  From what I can tell, they were supposed to make a gazillion dollars at the box office and through video game licensing.  A continuation of the story was a secondary benefit at best.  I guess that's one of the biggest differences.  The originals were made for the sake of making a good film(s).  Lucas had no way to know that he'd start a marketing onslaught.  The second time around, he knew about that aspect going in and was strictly looking to capitalize on  it. 

Also, I thought The Matrix really sucked donkey balls.  Never even bothered to watch the two sequels knowing that they'd just be continuations of a stupid premise with the same shitty actors. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TL

« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2011, 12:09:38 PM »
I too have never gotten into LOTR.

I do enjoy the (first 3) Indiana Jones films though, especially Last Crusade.
This, so much. It's such a fun trilogy, especially Raiders and Crusade.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2011, 01:59:33 PM »
Fluffy....your opinion on the Indiana Jones movies....ok..I can kinda see it..but the movies you are describing....sound like the Alan Quartermain, or Mummy series of movies. IJ's aren't that cheezy or cliche. Yes, it's still a "smarter" Han Solo with a whip instead of a lazer pistol, but still. They're really really good.
I guess I can see where you're coming from, but aside from Brendan Fraser in the lead role and some bad one-liners, I quite enjoyed the Mummy (the first one, never saw any others). For whatever reason, there was something about the tone of IJ that, while other people seem to get off on it, just rubbed me wrong from the very first second.

Also, ROTK is my favourite film, and I really like the LOTR trilogy as a whole, but I can fully understand why some people might not get into it, purely as fantasy. If you couldn't get past/into the fantasy and just sit back and enjoy the story, you basically have an extremely long, extremely dorky war/adventure story.