Author Topic: Pagan's Mind  (Read 8249 times)

Offline gm5k

Re: Pagan's Mind
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2015, 12:20:37 PM »
I think most people here write them off as super generic cheesy prog metal. But I love them.

I can kind of see where people would think that if they only listened to Infinity Divine and Celestial Entrance.  A lot of the stuff on those two albums aren't exactly my favorite either, but there are some gems for sure.  From Enigmatic: Calling and on though I think they've had one of the best runs in metal history.   Or maybe prog metal history?   :biggrin:  Either way they're currently my favorite band.

Edit:  Here's a cool new interview with Jorn https://mattgonzal.es/filez/podcast_interview-009.mp3
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 01:26:39 PM by gm5k »

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2019, 08:29:19 AM »
Man, Heavenly Ecstasy was way back in 2011. We need a new album!

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2019, 09:19:03 AM »
"Between 2014 and 2017, the band was inactive due to health issues from the members of the band. They resumed their activities in late 2017, and started working on a new album.  On January 22 2018, they announced that due to a family situation, K. Rue would not be featured on the three shows planned in March, and would be replaced by Ole Aleksander Wagenius from the band Withem; the band stated that K. Rue's situation would not interfere with his involvement in the upcoming album."
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2019, 09:23:13 AM »
I'd like to see something new, love Heavenly Ecstasy.  Also the band was pretty much the backing band of Northward with Floor singing, their album came out last year and while it's not the same music, you can still feel Viggo's guitar playing.  I really like the album, but it's not really a hold over for Pagans Mind.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2019, 10:20:55 AM »
It's crazy how I started this thread back in the day and the only time I've listened to these guys in the past couple of years was to decide on which song to send in a roulette
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2019, 03:56:05 PM »
"Between 2014 and 2017, the band was inactive due to health issues from the members of the band. They resumed their activities in late 2017, and started working on a new album.  On January 22 2018, they announced that due to a family situation, K. Rue would not be featured on the three shows planned in March, and would be replaced by Ole Aleksander Wagenius from the band Withem; the band stated that K. Rue's situation would not interfere with his involvement in the upcoming album."

Sounds rough.  Hopefully they can keep going and release something new soon.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Pagan's Mind Appreciation Thread
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2022, 04:19:09 PM »
Huh what a tiny thread for such a interesting band imo. There's something about their music that makes me happy and pleased, it's so well produced and clean. Their great at writing simple but really groovy and catchy riffs. Suprised that dosen't get more attention because I think that's an artform.

They remind me of Orden Organ, kinda similar style with their music.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 04:27:59 PM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2022, 04:52:32 PM »
Huh what a tiny thread for such a interesting band imo. There's something about their music that makes me happy and pleased, it's so well produced and clean. Their great at writing simple but really groovy and catchy riffs. Suprised that dosen't get more attention because I think that's an artform.

I was just listening to Live / Centre Stage this week.  Such a good band.  Nils has got a great voice (imo), very distinctive - I can see how others might not like it?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2022, 12:27:22 AM »
FYI, we already have a Pagan's Mind thread (there's a sticky thread with a list of all the pages by band to check out first before starting a new thread).

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=21964.0

Perhaps a mod can merge this into that thread?
I'm blind, plz merge  :)

Or I can just move comment to the other thread.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2022, 12:29:26 AM »
There's something about their music that makes me happy and pleased, it's so well produced and clean. Their great at writing simple but really groovy and catchy riffs. Suprised that dosen't get more attention because I think that's an artform.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2022, 12:32:14 AM »

I was just listening to Live / Centre Stage this week.  Such a good band.  Nils has got a great voice (imo), very distinctive - I can see how others might not like it?
Never thought that could be a detractor but maybe so. His voice is distinctive but fits the music so well.

That live show is great!  :biggrin:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2022, 08:41:11 AM »
+1 on loving that live album.  Awesome band, I think I heard some time ago that they were going to be working on a new album but I haven't heard anything since.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2022, 11:35:52 AM »
I merged the threads.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2022, 11:56:51 AM »
Great band. Really dig their stuff. I know they get lumped into the "dream theater clone" bands, which I think is unfortunate. I know they've had their moments, one specifically being very over the top, but I never really saw them in that light.

I really wish they'd release something new. It's been 11 years. Any idea if they're just done?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2022, 11:58:26 AM »
11 years?  I would assume so.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2023, 01:07:07 PM »
I've been on a Pagan's Mind binge last couple of days and everyone know what happened with the band? It's been a long break/hiatus...From what I gathered around the web, the singer has/had some health issues but that was a while back.

Sorry for the bump to those who thought there was an update.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2023, 03:49:25 PM »
I've been on a Pagan's Mind binge last couple of days and everyone know what happened with the band? It's been a long break/hiatus...From what I gathered around the web, the singer has/had some health issues but that was a while back.

Sorry for the bump to those who thought there was an update.

That would be me then :laugh:

Yeah dunno, I listen to these guys fairly often only a week ago in fact.  Some of the best stuff of that time and had you asked me I would've put money on them having a long and successful career.  Really disappointed they never caught on like others...

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2023, 04:16:56 PM »
+1 on loving that live album.  Awesome band, I think I heard some time ago that they were going to be working on a new album but I haven't heard anything since.

welp, yeah I dont think Ive heard anything since maybe a rumor. 

If interested, basically Pagan's Mind were the backing band for Floor and the guitarists side project band Northward.  That's the only thing I'm aware of from those guys.  It's nothing like Pagan's Mind though, but some good songs on the album

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2023, 06:53:10 PM »

welp, yeah I dont think Ive heard anything since maybe a rumor. 

If interested, basically Pagan's Mind were the backing band for Floor and the guitarists side project band Northward.  That's the only thing I'm aware of from those guys.  It's nothing like Pagan's Mind though, but some good songs on the album

It's funny, both Nils and Jorn were fairly busy around the end of Pagan's Mind.  Now you don't hear much from either.  A shame, Jorn is a fantastic guitarist, really enjoyed what he did with Jorn.  I'll have to check that Northward project.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2023, 07:13:07 PM »
I enjoy Northward quite a bit, nothing earth shattering but enjoyable. Love that Jorn guitar tone..

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2023, 07:27:51 PM »
I enjoy Northward quite a bit, nothing earth shattering but enjoyable. Love that Jorn guitar tone..

I'll make sure I sample it.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2023, 07:28:59 PM »
Northward was good. The ballads were hit and miss, as Floor's tend to be, but the rockers were great.

Also he and the bassist from PM were on the Beautiful Sin album. Not amazing but some great moments for sure.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2023, 07:40:41 PM »
Yeah, Beautiful Sin was solid.  Would have liked to hear another one.  The Helloween remake was interesting too.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2023, 09:19:22 PM »
Nils did the 2nd Trond Holter disc, Vlad the Impaler.  That was pretty decent, but I don't know that he's done much else full-length stuff.  Handful of guest things here and there. 
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2023, 09:53:13 PM »
Nils did the 2nd Trond Holter disc, Vlad the Impaler.  That was pretty decent, but I don't know that he's done much else full-length stuff.  Handful of guest things here and there.

The last Eidolon album he was on which was really good.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2023, 02:11:06 PM »
January 2018, they said they were going to release a new album that year.  Nothing announced since, as far as I can tell.