Author Topic: Petrucci: Woo hoo! Finished tracking all rhythm clean and acoustic guitars today  (Read 10390 times)

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
I got the feeling that we will know a new drummer in a couple days...

Isn't that what everyone was saying back in December? :lol

Posted 4th of January:
Quote from: John Petrucci
I appreciate everyone's anticipation with regard to our forthcoming announcement of DT's new drummer. All will be revealed soon. paciencia y fe...

Looks like 'soon' is quite long time  :lol
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
John Petrucci's sense of timing is impeccable

But his sense of TIME is a little off..

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline dongringo

Posted 4th of January:
Quote from: John Petrucci
I appreciate everyone's anticipation with regard to our forthcoming announcement of DT's new drummer. All will be revealed soon. paciencia y fe...

Looks like 'soon' is quite long time  :lol

But...paciencia y fe.  :lol
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline Tomislav95

...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
https://www.petrucciforum.com/forums/showthread.php?73240-Studio-Fun-with-JP

SPOT THE DIFFERENCE WITH JOHN PETRUCCI  :lol

Maybe Petrucci is giving us a clue about the album.  They used to have these "spot the changes" sections in the children's magazine "Highlights."  Maybe the album, or one of the songs, is called "Highlights."  OK, maybe not. lol.

Or maybe there's a clue in the photo about the drummer's identity.  Hmm.  There's a person with his head cut off in the top corner of the first pic.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
It's funny that people are somehow thinking under the logic of, "The public doesn't know who the new drummer is. Therefore, they haven't recorded drums yet."

I don't think anybody has said that.  Most people think the drums have been recorded first.  But there are a small handful of people such as myself saying that, yes, that's the way it is usally done, and that's the way DT has always done it, so it's definitely the most likely scenario here--BUT it's not the only scenario because it is quite possible to record in any order a band chooses, including doing the drums dead last if that's what they want to or feel they have to do.  So I wouldn't rule out any possibility.  Anyone who says it MUST be done in a certain order doesn't know what they are talking about.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline EstyMaJ

Ya so the Drummer sits in the studio with headsets on while JP has a mic hooked up to it and he goes ok heres how the song goes da da dum dum dum dada dada dadadadadada chunk chunk , wankery go! ok the secretes out!!!

Offline emtee

Well, if it were solely legal reasons why the drummer had not been named, meaning all the t's were not
crossed and i's not dotted, it would be very risky for DT to have the drummer come in and record
because there is always an outside chance the deal could fall through. Also, it would be risky for the
new drummer as well. He could have wasted all that time and if the deal fell thorugh he may not be
compensated. So I'm guessing it's probably more than just legal reasons and more likely DT wants to
TIME the announcement with something important like a single, or who knows what.

But yes indeed, 99% of the time it's much more logical and easier to lay the drum tracks down first.
I'm just GUESSING but I believe the drums are laid down, the legalities are finalized and DT is just
waiting for the perfect timing to make the announcement.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
You guys take this way too seriously. hahaha. The drummer is with them (or has been). There is no doubting that now.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
I'm still thinking they release an early stuido vid of a song, much like they did with TDEN. We will know the drummer by watching it.

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
I'm still thinking they release an early stuido vid of a song, much like they did with TDEN. We will know the drummer by watching it.
That would be oh so awesome. :metal

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
Acoustic guitar...ahhh I'd love it if they could open an album like that, with a Norwegian Wood-esque number... *drools*
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline TheMadgician

Ya so the Drummer sits in the studio with headsets on while JP has a mic hooked up to it and he goes ok heres how the song goes da da dum dum dum dada dada dadadadadada chunk chunk , wankery go! ok the secretes out!!!

...I'm really not sure what I just read.

Anyway, it's pretty exciting to hear they're finishing stuff up. I'm really hoping for some great clean and acoustic passages.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
I wanna see John Petrucci on stage with an acoustic guitar before the band calls it quits. I really doubt that will ever happen, though.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
Chances for that are very thin, I guess; he simulates the acoustic guitar sound through an effect nowadays...
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Chances for that are very thin, I guess; he simulates the acoustic guitar sound through an effect nowadays...

His guitar has built in acoustic simulators.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space

each one installed by Gandhi using the tears of chuck norris 

Offline EstyMaJ

...I'm really not sure what I just read.

Anyway, it's pretty exciting to hear they're finishing stuff up. I'm really hoping for some great clean and acoustic passages.

Oh im sorry next time i will write im jokeing at the end?

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member

Piezo pick-ups or something electronic?
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Ramsey

• Music is the best.
The JP-6 and JP-7 models have piezo pick-ups.

My first post by the way. Cheers fellow fanatics!

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)

Hello, there. Welcome to the forum!

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline dongringo

Welcome Ramsey! Thanks for the info.  :metal
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline Dream_Theater01

Acoustic guitar?   :tup

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand

You're a dead man, Ramsey

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)

You're a dead man, Ramsey

LOL is that the film with Dolph Lundgren and a weird guy killing everybody?  ::)

Offline mrjazzguitar

• I play guitar.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • rump horrot
ANNOUNCE. THE. FUCKING. DRUMMER.

this. i mean come on already.

Offline Odysseus

The only way of recording tracks without laying down the drums first is to record to a click track. Unless there is a really good reason to do so, it's a pain in the butt and makes things overly mechanic.

rumborak

Agreed.  Not having the drums down first feels really weird....

Offline Yazman

Can somebody tell me what "tracking" is?

Offline TheMadgician

Another term for recording. I think it was answered in a more detailed way on the first page.

Offline Aniland

Yep. It's basically the recording of each individual instrument/voice. After every musician and LaBrie are finished recording their parts, tracking is over. The stage that follows immediately is mixing.