Author Topic: Petrucci: Woo hoo! Finished tracking all rhythm clean and acoustic guitars today  (Read 10389 times)

Offline Aniland

I don't know why it surprises me, but ACOUSTIC GUITARS. CAN'T WAIT.  :corn :omg: :D

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
Does that mean drums are next?  Or are drums tracked before guitars?
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Aniland

I'd be sincerely surprised if they added the drums to guitar tracks. Just seems silly. Probably didn't say anything about the drums because people would GO "OMG PEH-TRUCK-SEE WHO IS TEH DRUMMER!!1!1!!?"

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Will JLB be recording last?  He is in the studio the 18th I think. So that would mean there are less than two weeks left to record instruments. I'm guessing JR didn't finish yet or he would have posted. He likely recorded along side JP. This leaves JM time to lay down the bass. Is the remaining time period enough for drum tracks? I'm thinking they were dropped first.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
ANNOUNCE. THE. FUCKING. DRUMMER.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
Does anyone here with recording experience know if drums are typically recorded first or last among instruments?
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
In 99% of all cases the drums are laid down first. The remaining order then depends on the song.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
I always thought first.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
I've always been under the impression that DT recorded a jam track of the song (with protools most likely), and tracked the drums with Mike listening to it.

By that logic, the drums would have to be first.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
What exactly was the post? I don't have a Facebook password for the link.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline JPX

What exactly was the post? I don't have a Facebook password for the link.

The thread title is exactly what he wrote.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I've always been under the impression that DT recorded a jam track of the song (with protools most likely), and tracked the drums with Mike listening to it.

Basically.  What they described for the last few albums is that, as is typical with a lot of bands, they record a jam track first.  Then they create a drum scratch track on the computer so they can mess around with the tempos of different parts and adjust if they think something needs to be faster or slower.  Once they get the tempo right on the scratch track, Mike would use that to record his drum parts.  After drums, bass.  After bass, keys and guitar (I'm not sure if they have a set order), and then vocals.  Then adding backing tracks and extras and extras, touching up, etc.  Other than messing with the tempos of the scratch track on computer, most bands tend to follow a similar sort of pattern.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I don't know why it surprises me, but ACOUSTIC GUITARS.

It shouldn't.  Every DT record has acoustic guitar on it somewhere. ;)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
The only way of recording tracks without laying down the drums first is to record to a click track. Unless there is a really good reason to do so, it's a pain in the butt and makes things overly mechanic.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Obfuscation

• “"You are my creator, but I am your master; Obey!”
  • Google It
Basically every band always tracks their drums first and then bass with the guitars coming after that and then the vocals are last. That's what I have usually seen.
“Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”

Offline Dream Team

Basically.  What they described for the last few albums is that, as is typical with a lot of bands, they record a jam track first.  Then they create a drum scratch track on the computer so they can mess around with the tempos of different parts and adjust if they think something needs to be faster or slower.  Once they get the tempo right on the scratch track, Mike would use that to record his drum parts.  After drums, bass.  After bass, keys and guitar (I'm not sure if they have a set order), and then vocals.  Then adding backing tracks and extras and extras, touching up, etc.  Other than messing with the tempos of the scratch track on computer, most bands tend to follow a similar sort of pattern.

What he said, plus JP has to record his solos (of which I hope there are oodles).

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
Stupid question, but is tracking the same as recording?  I'm not familiar with studio terms.  I always say recording.  I guess they are the same thing?

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
I don't know why it surprises me, but ACOUSTIC GUITARS. CAN'T WAIT.  :corn :omg: :D

Let's be honest. This probably just means acoustic guitars played in the background, or maybe a grand total of about two minutes where it is at the forefront. We probably aren't ever going to see another "Silent Man".
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Well, the acoustic guitar at the end of TCOT was so nicely done into an epic finale, it's still nice to hear there are acoustic guitars. That got me wet.

Offline Knguro

Stupid question, but is tracking the same as recording?  I'm not familiar with studio terms.  I always say recording.  I guess they are the same thing?

well if im not mistaking tracking is basically the recording of a single instrument, ir order to create the mix after that, with all tracks combine, thats all i know, still if im wrong, just somebody slap me in the face and correct me. haha
...Here before me is my soul, I'm learning to live...
And your English is just fine. :tup

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off

Offline fadetoblackdude7

It's usually: Drums first, rythm guitars, bass, keyboards, then overdubs (usually solos), then vox. At least that's how it's done when I'm in the studio lol

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member

Tracking is another name for recording, yep.

Offline dongringo

I've always been under the impression that DT recorded a jam track of the song (with protools most likely), and tracked the drums with Mike (Mangini) listening to it.

Edited: (Mangini) ^  ;)

I have a feeling that the drums were being tracked when JP mentioned that the new drummer wouldn't disappoint in any way.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 10:58:22 PM by dongringo »
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
In 99% of all cases the drums are laid down first. The remaining order then depends on the song.

rumborak

If you're not Lars Ulrich, that's true.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
Drums always come first. I don't see why there would be a reason to not track drums first.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Aniland

It's funny that people are somehow thinking under the logic of, "The public doesn't know who the new drummer is. Therefore, they haven't recorded drums yet."

Offline Ħ

It's funny that people are somehow thinking under the logic of, "The public doesn't know who the new drummer is. Therefore, they haven't recorded drums yet."
???

Almost everyone here has said that the drums go down first.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
I got the feeling that we will know a new drummer in a couple days... ;) if not, we'll meet him after the band ends recording in studio...what means "we'll announce in the best moment for the band"...?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I got the feeling that we will know a new drummer in a couple days...

Isn't that what everyone was saying back in December? :lol