Author Topic: Anyone here feel like giving career advice?  (Read 2203 times)

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
Anyone here feel like giving career advice?
« on: April 06, 2011, 06:55:08 AM »
My boss thinks I should apply for an open Production Manager position at my company and I need to make a quick decision. I've never been sure about whether or not I want to be a manager. Part of me wants to just for the career benefits and the money, but part of me isn't sure if it would really play to my strengths. I'd be directly in charge of several people and basically in charge of a couple hundred production people, though wouldn't directly interact with them much. It seems like a very large leap into management. For reference, I'm currently an process engineer that supports production and have never directly managed anyone, but have lead project teams and basically supervised technicians before.

I basically feel like if I don't apply for this, my boss will not think I'm looking to better my career and may not ever get an opportunity like this again. But with a second child on the way, I'm not sure that I want to have the extra responsibility and the extra time required at work. There's no guarantee I'd get it if I applied, so this is strictly just applying, but this company considers inside hires higher than going outside.

Those of you in management roles: do you like it? Is it difficult managing people? Any thoughts or insights you could share with me?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 01:35:28 PM by lordxizor »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Anyone here in management?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 07:01:42 AM »
I've been in charge of 40 people and I think it would be a nice notch on your resume.  I would bring up your concerns to your boss with the second child on the way.  It's show commitment to your family and he's be honest with you.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Anyone here in management or feel like giving career advice?
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 07:08:18 AM »
Lord,
I manage a major chain Grocery store up here in the northeast. Probably very different culture than where you work, but I would say that the biggest challenge will be the child on the way. If I had kids before I became a manager, I don't know that I would have been able to do so. If your wife can accept that your new position is a priority, ie she juggles her schedule so you can put in the extra effort that may be needed for your position. If she is understanding of that, that's the biggest thing.

Opportunity doesn't knock every day, so if your boss says that you should apply, he obviously has confidence in you. At least go through the process. If you don't get it, the next time a promotion comes up, you will at least have experience in the process and that may give you an edge for a postion you really want.

As far as being in the role, I love it. Managing people can be challenging, but it is also very rewarding.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 08:17:18 AM »
but I would say that the biggest challenge will be the child on the way.
This is really my biggest worry. My family is infinitely more important to me than my job. I'm willing to go in to work early (as the current guy does) but wouldn't want to stay any later than 5:00 so I can see my kids for a couple hours before they go to bed.

I figure it can't hurt to apply and talk to the hiring manager and get more info. If his expectations don't mesh with what I'm willing to do, then I'll say I'm not interested.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 10:51:36 AM »
In managing people, definitely start off on a firm, unshakable front. Your employees cannot see you as a pushover. That doesn't mean to be mean (be respectful and show that you ARE human), but that you are in charge and have control over the environment and tasks at hand.

Listen to your people. They will always have some insight, and you can use that to everyone's advantage to make things run smoother. Communication is key. Know the reasons for why an employee's suggestion may or may not work. Always give a reason for whatever you do, if asked upon it. Also, you can bring up a situation that isn't working and ask some of your employees for what they think should be happening or should be done about it.

Take some time to reflect/relax. Overworking will kill your performance and will affect your team.

Let people have some space to move, grow, and feel important (because they really are important, not just to further your won job).

In managing people, it can difficult but if you let it be. Learn to play to people's strengths. I manage people and if I know someone would work better in a different position, I play it to their strength so that they can.

Managing people can be great and rewarding. People can tell if you are on a power trip, and they will let you know not in words, but in action. I had two power trips abut 5 years ago as a noob, but they didnt last long, because I could sense right away that my arrogance was bringing everything down. Ever since, managing people has been the best part of the job. My employees always want to work with me and they get the job done great.

Offline LeeHarveyKennedy

• Who is posting?
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Oh my God, LHK is posting! How can that be?
Re: Shameless plug...
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 10:57:54 AM »
My boss thinks I should apply for an open Production Manager position at my company and I need to make a quick decision. I've never been sure about whether or not I want to be a manager. Part of me wants to just for the career benefits and the money, but part of me isn't sure if it would really play to my strengths. I'd be directly in charge of several people and basically in charge of a couple hundred production people, though wouldn't directly interact with them much. It seems like a very large leap into management. For reference, I'm currently an process engineer that supports production and have never directly managed anyone, but have lead project teams and basically supervised technicians before.

I basically feel like if I don't apply for this, my boss will not think I'm looking to better my career and may not ever get an opportunity like this again. But with a second child on the way, I'm not sure that I want to have the extra responsibility and the extra time required at work. There's no guarantee I'd get it if I applied, so this is strictly just applying, but this company considers inside hires higher than going outside.

Those of you in management roles: do you like it? Is it difficult managing people? Any thoughts or insights you could share with me?

If you don't take it, can I send in my resume? I've been looking to move into a management position for a few years now.
HOLY MARY MOTHER OF GOD!!!!!  THIS is why LHK is the President of Awesome.

Why is everything you post the best thing ever said?  :lol

LHK is beyond EPIC.
 :hefdaddy

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 11:11:59 AM »
I think the second child on the way is definitely the biggest issue there. Managers are kinda expected to be there before everybody, and leave as the last one. Frankly, that's why I have so far shied away from it too somewhat. I have one guy reporting to me right now, but the increase in workload if I went fully manager is not something I'm really willing to do. I have so many other interests that would then fall by the wayside.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 12:59:08 PM »
I've decided I'll explore the opportunity more, but I definitely would need to sit down with the hiring manager and get his expectations of workload, etc before I can really consider doing this. I've always figured I'd get into managing someday, but always thought it would be manager a few engineers or something, not an entire production floor.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 01:08:21 PM »
I've decided I'll explore the opportunity more, but I definitely would need to sit down with the hiring manager and get his expectations of workload, etc before I can really consider doing this. I've always figured I'd get into managing someday, but always thought it would be manager a few engineers or something, not an entire production floor.

I think that's the best course of action. Good luck!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 02:55:44 PM »
I am a manager of up to 25 people and deal with all of them.  Obviously, a lot different to your situation but, it's not an easy task at all, and is very confronting to yourself, and in my business it's a 7 day a week job.  You discover a lot of things about yourself and have to face your own weaknesses and be critical of yourself. 

Just because of the extra responsibilty, that doesn't necessarily mean extra time at work.  If you plan your week with tasks, practice good time management skills and delegate accordingly, it doesn't mean extra time will be needed to spend at work, and your employer shouldn't expect you to stay back unpaid.  Good employers should practice a healthy work/life balance for themselves and their staff, that way staff are at their most productive at work.  That's my weakness, I don't have a family of my own and my girlfriend works in the same business so I like spending that bit of extra time at work, I'm a perfectionist so it's hard to not spend too long away from work.  Plus, my manager is honestly very ordinary and I feel my workload is too great, I feel I have to pick up a lot of his slack.  So in saying that, if you appriciate and respect your manager and the company, there shouldn't be a problem.

Make sure you delegate, trust your staff and don't micro manage, and always listen to your staff, you have to have time for them.  If you are good and loyal to them, they will be hard working and productive for you, making your job easier.  Be tough though and don't let me think you are a pushover, they need to respect you.

I'd say apply, give it a go.   I was in your situation and got the job, after almost 2 years, it's gets easier.  I still think sometimes how less stressful my life would be if I didn't take on the job, but it meant job security which I'm grateful for.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 03:40:32 PM »
A couple of things....

Successful "managers" are leaders and coaches, NOT managers. There is a big difference. See if there is someone already in a leadership role that you respect at your company, and ask if they would mentor you, AND take some classes on what it takes to be a successful leader. There are hundereds if not thousands of books and theories on the subject. There is no right way. Find a style that suits you and your personality.

Second....Don't ask the "hiring manager" shit, unless they are the person already in that role, or they supervise that role. Someone from HR won't have a clue as to what the job "really" entails.

Ask other engineering managers at your company what the expectations are for them, and also ask how they are supported. This second bit is VERY important. A lot of firms apply the Peter Principle in selecting managers. This is doomed to failure. And for you, more so than the company. Heres how it works (or doesn't work for that matter).

"Lordxizor is a great process engineer...I'll bet he'd make a great manager."

Then once you are promoted they don't support you or give you the tools necessary to do your job. There is no training, no clear direction, no setting of expectations, no feedback, no follow-up, and no one has given you permission to make decisions as a manager, or told you what the parameters of your decision making authority even are. Basically, they have taken a productive, effective employee, and turned them into a hapless, and helpless manager. No thanks. So find out what support you'll get.

Lastly, ask your boss to guarantee you a parachute in the event that either you don't like the experience, or they don't like you as a manager for some reason. Be honest, and explain to him that considering the fact that you've never been a manager before, that you want to know that if it doesn't work out in six or 12 months or so, that you can take your old job back. When I worked as a labor lawyer I saw dozens of instances where a company took a very highly valued employee and promoted them with little or no support, and when the person fell on their face (and they always did in an unsupported environment), they wanted to take them out and shoot them in the face with a bazooka, which is just crazy. Tell your boss that in return for that option, that what he'll get is you'll do everything you can to immerse yourself in your new role, and will bust your ass to be successful. He SHOULD respect the hell out of that. If he agrees, ask him if HR will put that in writing. They may not, because they might feel that would constitue a guaranteed contract for future employment, but a GOOD and savvy HR person should be able to word it to protect both you and the company.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 01:23:53 AM by TempusVox »
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 08:18:55 AM »
Lord,
I manage a major chain Grocery store up here in the northeast.

So if I need a deal on Meats or Produce your the man too talk too  :tup
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
Re: Anyone here feel like giving career advice?
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2011, 01:41:51 PM »
Bumpity bump.

So I have some new issues with my job I'd appreciate some advice on. FYI... the management thing didn't pan out and I learned quickly that I wasn't really interested anyway.

Quick background, I am a chemical engineering working for a medical device comapny. Last year I accepted a new job that required me to move my family across the country. A few months ago I was basically forced into a new role at work. It's a role best suited for a mechanical engineer, which I am not and have no interest in being. My new boss does not seem to appreciate the unique skill set I bring to our company like my previous boss did and basically wants me to get to know the mechanical crap on our production floor. I have no interest in doing this as I'm not mechanical at all.

I've started looking for other opportunities a little bit, but basically all of them would require me to move again. I feel like I basically have two options:

1) find a new job and move somewhere else in New England (where I am now) or back to Minnesota (where I moved from last year)

2) Sit down with my boss and tell him how frustrated I am with his management style (he's basically nonexistant in my daily routine) and the role he seemingly wants me to take which doesn't match my skillset at all and see what we can do to make a change.

Part of me has already mentally checked out of this job and want to get out of here, but I rally don't want to move again. Any advice on how I can talk to my boss or if I should at all?

Thanks in advance! :)

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2011, 02:12:18 PM »
Talking with your boss is always the first step IMO.  I wouldn't bring up his management style though...stick to the mis-matched skill set so it remains a "you" issue and not a "him" issue.  Most people can appriciate a square peg/round hole situation if you paint it as such.

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2011, 02:15:08 PM »
Knowing a great deal about the medical device job situation out there today, I would advise you to look for new positions before you talk to your boss. You will have a great deal of leverage since the new Q is coming up and there are a lot of new positions opening. I interviewed with a medical device company today, will get another one tomorrow and so on. I am getting laid off from my current job so the boss is helping me a lot in the process which is always a plus since he's big in the field.

So in summary, look first, then talk to him and tell him how you would like to stay in your field and not move to a mech aspect, ask if he can help you move on.

I can help with a ton of good sites and people if you want some help looking.
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2011, 05:46:11 AM »
I can help with a ton of good sites and people if you want some help looking.
What sites do you use? I've been in the med device business for five years now and have lots of connections and there are always lots of recruiters contacting me about positions. I have no doubt I could have another position within a few months if I tried really hard to find one. Where are you working now?

I figure I'll get a little ways into some interviews and see if there truely is interest in me and then have a little leverage with my boss. Unfortunately so far I see him as being a "this is my vision for the group and I don't care what anyone else thinks" kind of guy

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2011, 03:32:18 PM »
I'm in orthopedics so ortho tec website has postings but the best reliable posts I work with are from indeed.com they are upto date and easy to search.
Just coming back from an interview btw and it logs like I will be starting a new job september 1 and getting severance package from old job for two months, pretty sweet deal.
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh