Author Topic: And, it has begun  (Read 21393 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
And, it has begun
« on: April 05, 2011, 04:45:56 PM »
Obama officially announced his candidacy for 2012 as you will have heard.
Now, the real question of course is, who will run for the Republicans? And, can they distance themselves from the Tea Party enough to not lose the moderates? So far it seems they're hamstrung by the TPs.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
Re: And, it has begun
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 04:56:50 PM »
I actually have to write a paper on who might be the Republican nominee. My focus is on Tim Pawlenty, who apparently is a strong contender.

The worry for most people, of course, is that Sarah Palin has a shot at it. I like to think better of most Americans; she's hardly qualified to be the President, but we'll see.

Newt Gingrich is a strong contender as well, apparently

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 05:00:44 PM »
There's no way Palin will make it, she'll get eaten alive by the republicans in the primaries.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 05:01:15 PM »
The worry for most people, of course, is that Sarah Palin has a shot at it. I like to think better of most Americans; she's hardly qualified to be the President, but we'll see.

I think the ones who really should be concerned about Palin running are the Republicans. I think there's a good amount of moderate Republicans who say "I'd rather have Obama than Palin".

rumborak

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 05:04:29 PM »
Donald Trump

wtf is the internet?

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 05:05:15 PM »

I think the ones who really should be concerned about Palin running are the Republicans. I think there's a good amount of moderate Republicans who say "I'd rather have Obama than Palin".

rumborak

The problem though is that a lot of them will still side with her JUST because she's republican. The partisanship of all of it is horrible. I mean, if Obama or a similar democratic candidate was that extreme (and, unfortunately, that stupid), I'd side with the other guy

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 05:09:53 PM »
I dunno. I think the really moderate Republicans are as likely to switch as the really moderate Democrats. I for one could definitely see myself voting Republican given the right candidate. For example, I thought McCain was actually a good candidate up to the moment where he started fucking up badly (choosing Palin, regurgitating the term "maverick", and suspending his campaign halfway in).

rumborak

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 05:41:56 PM »
One of my teachers at Uni said in an article that the Republicans wanted someone really radical to take the position as the Republican Nominee. McCain lost all chances. Palin... I don't know, really. There has been some rumours that Rand Paul would run, but considering how many like his parent it is probably not going to happen this time.
I hope Trump can't get near.

Offline reo73

• Banned
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 05:43:36 PM »
I consider myself a moderate republican and I would not vote for Palin.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 06:10:23 PM »
One of my teachers at Uni said in an article that the Republicans wanted someone really radical to take the position as the Republican Nominee. McCain lost all chances. Palin... I don't know, really. There has been some rumours that Rand Paul would run, but considering how many like his parent it is probably not going to happen this time.
I hope Trump can't get near.

I don't think Trump nor Paul (Ron or Rand) would get the nomination.

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 06:21:11 PM »
There has been some rumours that Rand Paul would run, but considering how many like his parent it is probably not going to happen this time.

Ron Paul is not running for sure?

wtf is the internet?

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 06:50:23 PM »
If Palin makes it through the primaries, I will officially lose every drop of hope I have in America.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 06:51:16 PM »
If Palin makes it through the primaries, I will officially lose every drop of hope I have in America.
You haven't lost it already?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2011, 06:52:28 PM »
You haven't lost it already?

No, there are a few drops left.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2011, 07:07:32 PM »
I heard Jesse Ventura might be running.

Offline j

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2011, 07:12:49 PM »
That Bachman chick said she was gonna run I think.  God help us.

-J

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2011, 07:37:27 PM »
John Huntsman seems interesting to me. He's a Morman, so maybe the right won't buy him, but he also knows Chinese and is a Dream Theater fan. In 2007, he proclaimed a "Day for Dream Theater" in the state he governs, Utah.

Though I'd disagree with anyone towing the Republican line, the above information already makes me able to relate with him moreso than any other presidential candidate.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2011, 07:38:25 PM »
John Huntsman seems interesting to me. He's a Morman, so maybe the right won't buy him, but he also knows Chinese and is a Dream Theater fan. In 2007, he proclaimed a "Day for Dream Theater" in the state he governs, Utah.

Is he running?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2011, 07:39:29 PM »
I'm not sure, but he's one of the names that have been thrown out there quite a bit.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2011, 07:41:20 PM »
I admit I know very little about American politics, but since it's 2011, when do the official nominees have to make themselves known?

Or....when do all of the important things happen? Seems not too far in the distance.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2011, 08:36:23 PM »
Most of them won't make it official until later this year, I think

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2011, 09:38:34 PM »
There has been some rumours that Rand Paul would run, but considering how many like his parent it is probably not going to happen this time.

What I was trying to say was that Rand would like to run, he would be a viable candidate, but since his dad has much more popularity nation-wide, that he wouldn't compete against his dad. Ron Paul hasn't confirmed nor denied that he is going to run, but according to his statements it's likely that he will. That would mean that Rand Paul will not run.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2011, 09:48:06 PM »
And, can they distance themselves from the Tea Party enough to not lose the moderates? So far it seems they're hamstrung by the TPs.

rumborak

The Republican Party would disagree with you.  From their perspective, they ran a moderate candidate in 2008 and got pounded.  McCain was at his height when Palin was selected as his VP and before she revealed the public she isn't so smart.  And then, when they ran a much harder conservative message in 2010, they killed the House vote and did very, very well in the Senate.  Right or wrong, the lesson to the Republicans is don't run outwardly moderate candidates.

I'd be overjoyed if the Republicans ran a candidate who was serious about balancing the budget, had a more strategic foreign policy, understood economics, and let people live their own social lives without government interference.  I'd also like someone to give me five million dollars tax free.  I guess the Republican thing is more likely, but barely.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2011, 09:51:27 PM »
Most of them won't make it official until later this year, I think

This is kinda nice though.  Last time, all the candidates started running almost right after the 2006 election.  I dunno if the Politicians decided the public got too worn out on the race or that was just a weird year, but I hope it doesn't happen again.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2011, 09:54:20 PM »
The small candidates always have to get their names out early and try to generate some buzz.  The bigger ones can wait.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2011, 10:06:55 PM »

What I was trying to say was that Rand would like to run, he would be a viable candidate, but since his dad has much more popularity nation-wide, that he wouldn't compete against his dad. Ron Paul hasn't confirmed nor denied that he is going to run, but according to his statements it's likely that he will. That would mean that Rand Paul will not run.

Too bad Rand is pretty much just a neo-con.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2011, 10:14:21 PM »

Too bad Rand is pretty much just a neo-con.
What do you base this on? He's not as hardcore libertarian as his father, but he certainly leans pretty far in that direction.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2011, 10:31:16 PM »
And, can they distance themselves from the Tea Party enough to not lose the moderates? So far it seems they're hamstrung by the TPs.

rumborak

The Republican Party would disagree with you.  From their perspective, they ran a moderate candidate in 2008 and got pounded.  McCain was at his height when Palin was selected as his VP and before she revealed the public she isn't so smart.  And then, when they ran a much harder conservative message in 2010, they killed the House vote and did very, very well in the Senate.  Right or wrong, the lesson to the Republicans is don't run outwardly moderate candidates.

I think what he meant is that a lot of people were turned off because the Tea Party associated themselves so closely with the GOP. I felt that their campaign in 2008 was pretty conservative, but not to the extent the 2010 elections were.

And to add to my point above, a lot of Republicans gave in and supported the Tea Party backed candidates even though in the beginning they really didn't want to. Just goes to show how any Republican is better than any Democrat, and vice-versa.

If they didn't live in fear of being ostracized for supporting a different party they might not have had that problem

Offline j

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2011, 10:42:59 PM »
^Yeah that pretty much sums up my thoughts as well.  And it applies both inside and outside of the political arena.

-J

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2011, 10:54:23 PM »
Isn't Ron Paul a libertarian?

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2011, 10:56:16 PM »
His political views are libertarian, but he's a member of the Republican Party.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2011, 10:56:38 PM »
His political views are libertarian, but he's a member of the Republican Party.

Ah, okay.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2011, 11:21:03 PM »
Here's the big question.  Does anybody actually think there's a single potential candidate that might be even remotely different than Bush/Obama?  I find it difficult to muster up any giveafuck. 

Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2011, 11:49:50 PM »
Here's the big question.  Does anybody actually think there's a single potential candidate that might be even remotely different than Bush/Obama?  I find it difficult to muster up any giveafuck. 

Not really, no. That's the real shame, that it doesn't even really matter.

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2011, 04:17:44 AM »

Ron Paul. The only thing with him is, I can't really imagine him shaking hands and charismatically dealing with overseas biggies.

wtf is the internet?