Author Topic: If Congress really represented us...  (Read 1088 times)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
If Congress really represented us...
« on: April 04, 2011, 02:08:53 AM »
Saw this picture today, and found it fascinating. What is stopping us from being governed by people who represent us?

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
Re: If Congress really represented us...
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 02:31:20 AM »
Interesting. I wonder about those independents

It seems that Republicans are over-represented in this case, although the graphs don't account for the political leaning of the independents.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 04:11:43 AM »
The race stuff interests me most, honestly. Why so few hispanics? Why are so few religious denominations represented? What is this inconsistency a reflection of? Have people of color simply not lifted themselves up far enough yet, or does the system still work again fairness in some less obvious ways?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 08:11:47 AM »
Have people of color simply not lifted themselves up far enough yet, or does the system still work again fairness in some less obvious ways?
Neither.  As much as they like to think otherwise, Americans still prefer the stereotypical sleazy politician.  This guy:

Blacks and Mexicans just don't have the experience playing that game.  They're learning it well enough now.  Eventually, you'll see more of them in Congress, but it still won't look anything like the actual makeup of America. 

It's the religion part that's telling to me.  I'd like to see those 70 unaffiliated grow a pair and represent.  The fact that you have to pretend to be a Christian to hold office in this country annoys me to no end. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 08:30:41 AM »
What is stopping us from being governed by people who represent us?

Lobbyists.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 09:26:42 AM »
Neither.  As much as they like to think otherwise, Americans still prefer the stereotypical sleazy politician.  This guy:

Incidentally, one of the things you notice when watching American politics from Europe. You immediately notice how the politicians are all kinda ... smarmy.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 10:22:16 AM »
It's the religion part that's telling to me.  I'd like to see those 70 unaffiliated grow a pair and represent.  The fact that you have to pretend to be a Christian to hold office in this country annoys me to no end. 

I've always hated this too. But I feel that the unaffiliated may be so spread out between the Christians that an atheist/agnostic candidate wouldn't have much of a chance anyway

Offline j

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 11:37:08 AM »
To be honest, I couldn't care less that the hard demographics don't line up exactly.  Congress still won't actually represent the people even if there's an equal distribution of every group based on every arbitrary criteria we can possibly come up with by which to divide ourselves.

And anyway, that was all fairly predictable.  White, middle aged, Protestant men still comprise the majority of people running for office, surprise.

-J