Author Topic: My church is hosting a debate on New Testament reliability  (Read 6193 times)

Offline William Wallace

My church is hosting a debate on New Testament reliability
« on: April 03, 2011, 01:46:26 PM »
All the details can be found here and on the linked pages. If any of you are in the Sacramento region you're welcome to attend. I'll be writing about the event at the above link, and I'm sure it'll be worth discussing here.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: My church is hosting a debate on New Testament reliability
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 08:42:37 PM »
Could be interesting if well done.
On a side note, you come across a bit smug in the post, especially with the Jersey Shore part.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 08:52:17 PM »
On a side note, you come across a bit smug in the post, especially with the Jersey Shore part.

rumborak

I lol'd at that.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 09:06:22 PM »
Wow...when did everyone start calling it the "text"?  "You can't find it in the text."  "What does the text say?"  "There are few variants in the text."  I've started to notice it more and more...it's kind of become a pet peeve of mine.  Just call it the Bible, Scripture, the word of God, the scriptures, anything but the "text"!  >_<
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 09:07:26 PM »
Wow...when did everyone start calling it the "text"?  "You can't find it in the text."  "What does the text say?"  "There are few variants in the text."  I've started to notice it more and more...it's kind of become a pet peeve of mine.  Just call it the Bible, Scripture, the word of God, the scriptures, anything but the "text"!  >_<

But it, like all written word, is text. May I ask why you have such a problem with it being called that?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ħ

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 09:08:37 PM »
It's sort of got this pretentious connotation about it, like you're an objective hard-nosed scholar who studies the "text".
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 09:09:20 PM »
It's sort of got this pretentious connotation about it, like you're an objective hard-nosed scholar who studies the "text".

Hm, that's a very interesting take on the word text.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 10:15:10 PM »
Formal debate is somewhat of a scholarly activity, so it makes sense.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 10:16:41 PM »
Cam, can you send me the details?  I know you did once before, but I need you to resend, please.

EDIT:  And as Adami said, I'm not sure what the objection is to the word "text."  The Bible and all its component parts are all texts. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ħ

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 10:37:34 PM »
Eh it's just a pet peeve...it's sort of become an academic buzz word that people who want to sound smart use way too much.  Might as well use the word Scripture, because that connotes a better understanding of what it is. (but in a secular discourse, I agree that "text" is probably the most fair word to use)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 10:47:04 PM »
I think "text" is much more of a nuetral word than "Scripture" or "Word of God." A discussion on the Bible as a "text" is something believers and non-believers can both be a part of. A discussion on the Bible as the "Word of God" seems to be skewed in favor of the believes from the start.

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 05:22:08 AM »
Text is the best band that nobody knows.

wtf is the internet?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 09:30:10 AM »
I think "text" is much more of a nuetral word than "Scripture" or "Word of God." A discussion on the Bible as a "text" is something believers and non-believers can both be a part of. A discussion on the Bible as the "Word of God" seems to be skewed in favor of the believes from the start.

This, totally. If you want to engage in any meaningful discussion about the reliability of the documents, you just have to treat them like any other historical text. If you call them "The Word of God", you might as well put a stamp on the front cover saying "reliable" and then go for a beer.

rumborak

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011, 09:38:23 AM »
Also, it would be a bit strange to call it the "Word of God" when the debate's only about the New Testament.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2011, 09:51:33 AM »

This, totally. If you want to engage in any meaningful discussion about the reliability of the documents, you just have to treat them like any other historical text. If you call them "The Word of God", you might as well put a stamp on the front cover saying "reliable" and then go for a beer.

rumborak

Too bad you can't drink alcohol if you're a Christian. Unless it's Jesus' blood, then it's OK.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2011, 09:53:27 AM »
You can drink alchohol if you're a Christian.  There is no commandment against drinking alchohol, and heck, Jesus drank wine.  No problems there.

BTW, referring to the text as "the text" is not a recent development.  It's always been used.  Not sure what the problem is.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2011, 10:06:48 AM »
Jesus drank wine.  No problems there.

And a bit more, if you believe Matthew 11:19 :lol

rumborak

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2011, 10:09:36 AM »
sounds cool, WW.  almost tempting to drive up from LA for it

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2011, 10:22:13 AM »
Jesus drank wine.  No problems there.

And a bit more, if you believe Matthew 11:19 :lol

rumborak

I remember in high school my english teacher (possibly inappropriately) reminded me that Jesus actually turned water into wine when everyone had ran out.  :biggrin:

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2011, 10:32:02 AM »
Oh, there's a distinct freeloading element to Jesus in the NT. They're traveling around, inviting themselves for food and drink, and curse towns who don't see that as a good deal :lol

rumborak

Offline Ħ

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2011, 07:48:14 PM »
You can drink alchohol if you're a Christian.  There is no commandment against drinking alchohol, and heck, Jesus drank wine.  No problems there.

BTW, referring to the text as "the text" is not a recent development.  It's always been used.  Not sure what the problem is.
It just has this tone about it that gets under my skin.  I can't place my finger on it.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2011, 07:50:28 PM »

It just has this tone about it that gets under my skin.  I can't place my finger on it.
I can't either, since there is nothing wrong with it whatsoever.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2011, 07:54:50 PM »
Probably has something to do with the amount of times it's used in a Bible discussion (or any other type of discussion).  Same thing with "context."  Nothing really wrong with either word, but hearing the same word a bigillion times gets kinda annoying.

Don't mind me I'm just trollin'.

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2011, 08:10:51 PM »

rumborak
So you'll subscribe because we're like minded?

Speaking of pretentiousness, calling it "the word of God" every other sentence would be rather irritating if I was the reader.

Check your pm, Bosk.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2011, 09:49:46 AM »

rumborak

:lol Zing.

BTW, where is the event held? On "neutral ground", or in the church itself? I mean, you've seen Highlander, right? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGNj1yR9eEY )

rumborak

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2011, 12:28:46 PM »

rumborak

:lol Zing.

BTW, where is the event held? On "neutral ground", or in the church itself? I mean, you've seen Highlander, right? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGNj1yR9eEY )

rumborak

It would be bad ass if somebody showed up dressed like that. Yes, it's at the church. But we'll be on our best behavior. The crowd will be mixed in terms of points of view, and their will be audio and video available.

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2011, 02:28:52 AM »
The debate went well. We'll have video available soon. Until then, here's another blog post covering the opening statements made by both debaters.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2011, 05:55:19 PM »
Well, seems the usual ground was covered! :lol

WW, what was the composition of the audience? Mostly church members, mostly non-members, or 50/50?

rumborak

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2011, 06:02:44 PM »
Wanted to go, but it wasn't in the cards.

WW, what was the composition of the audience? Mostly church members, mostly non-members, or 50/50?

rumborak

Other than college students, I can't imagine most of the general public would have been interested enough to attend something like this.  Unless it were at a university (which this one wasn't), I would be surprised if the audience didn't consist overwhelmingly of church members (both members of that church and members of other local churches).
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Nigerius Rex

• Thats Mr. Doctor Professor Patrick
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2011, 07:58:59 PM »

rumborak

From what I hear, only about 10 people from the church's normal congregation showed up and the rest of the audience was neutral or carrions (follower of carrier?). I want to see if carrier or holding with make blog posts about the event.

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2011, 01:48:45 AM »

rumborak
The heretics, as they called themselves, outnumbered members of our congregation 3-to-1 probably. I can guarantee that's the most non-Christians that have ever stepped inside the stuffy moose lodge in its entire history. It was a great night. In fact, I met several people from that atheist group I mentioned I joined a few months ago.

Offline Vivace

« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2011, 02:51:15 PM »
Also, it would be a bit strange to call it the "Word of God" when the debate's only about the New Testament.

What's strange about that? If the whole Bible is the Word of God and you take a chapter out, isn't that still the Word of God?
"What kind of Jedis are these? Guardians of peace and justice my ass!"

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2011, 02:55:59 PM »
The bible is 100 percent true. Not it's not. Rabble rabble. No one thinks any different. End of debate.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2011, 02:58:35 PM »

What's strange about that? If the whole Bible is the Word of God and you take a chapter out, isn't that still the Word of God?

Along the lines of what Rumborak said, putting the stamp of "Word of God" on the text more or less vouchsafes for the whole text's reliability.  And the apologist's argument for reliability by that metric becomes a lot easier if you omit the OT.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Vivace

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2011, 03:02:46 PM »

Along the lines of what Rumborak said, putting the stamp of "Word of God" on the text more or less vouchsafes for the whole text's reliability.  And the apologist's argument for reliability by that metric becomes a lot easier if you omit the OT.

What apologist's argument are you referring to? I have never heard of any apologist, or least a scholarly one, state that without the OT, the bible becomes more reliable. The NT is made complete from the OT. They cannot nor should not be separated. Any educated theology professor can confirm this.
"What kind of Jedis are these? Guardians of peace and justice my ass!"

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"