Author Topic: The Ones Who Helped To Set The Sun - Appreciation  (Read 4661 times)

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
The Ones Who Helped To Set The Sun - Appreciation
« on: April 02, 2011, 02:26:09 PM »
I just listened to TOWHTSTS for the first time in a little while, and I was blown away. I totally forgot just how much this song fucking rocks  :metal
So uh, yeah. Post your opinions/appreciation, pl0x.

Offline j

Re: The Ones Who Helped To Set The Sun - Appreciation
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 03:15:21 PM »
Great song from a damn solid album.

-J

Offline Ħ

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 04:39:10 PM »
The intro is really cool but after that it's just ok.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 08:00:01 PM »
Great song. I wish they played it on tour.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 08:35:10 PM »
Same here, it would be a nice surprise. Even if they rearranged it.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 09:09:56 PM »
I love this song.  The chorus is so awesome.  JP really likes to write about car accidents, huh?  LOL
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 09:35:17 PM »
It's a pretty happening tune, one of the best from WDADU.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline j

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 09:53:02 PM »
JP really likes to write about car accidents, huh?  LOL

:lol

-J

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 12:19:14 AM »
The most underrated DT song ever (IMO). I'm sad that it's always among the first ones to be eliminated in the WDADU survivor. The intro is very atmospheric, and the song itself is great! Definitely among the best WDADU songs.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 12:19:57 AM »
I love this song.  The chorus is so awesome.  JP really likes to write about car accidents, huh?  LOL

Maybe it's just a brain fart but i honestly can't think of any other song with a car accident..

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 12:24:10 AM »

Maybe it's just a brain fart but i honestly can't think of any other song with a car accident..
A Nightmare to Remember?

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 12:34:45 AM »

A Nightmare to Remember?

Right, that one. Here I am trying to remember any other songs that were in the same time frame or at least more than one other song. Silly me :P 

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2011, 10:55:22 AM »
Probably a top ten song from Dream Theater, to me, and definitely my favourite off of When Dream and Day Unite.  I know I love this song far more than most, but hey, whatever clicks. :)

Great song. I wish they played it on tour.
I saw it live in Milwaukee on the Train of Thought tour. :p  My only concert of theirs and they just about played my favourite parts off each album(incl. Metropolis, A Mind Beside Itself complete, New Millennium, Finally Free, In the Name of God).  Whenever I think about it I can hardly believe how lucky I was with the track listing they chose.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 11:01:00 AM by yorost »

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2011, 07:37:53 AM »
This song would have been much better if they did it in A flat, that way they could say if there were ever a song in A flat, its THIS song.

Jk

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2018, 01:23:23 AM »
The opening alone is Dream Theater's most underappreciated moments, pure sublimity!

"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline Evai

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2018, 02:50:48 AM »
That way they could say if there were ever a song in A flat, its THIS song.

A very late reply, but... Check out every rock band that tunes 1/2 step down  :lol Welcome To The Jungle, Ain't Talkin' Bout Love... etc
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline DTA

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2018, 06:42:38 AM »
The intro is incredible. I wish they would've reprised some of it during the main part of the song, but nevertheless. I was also lucky enough to catch this on the ToT tour in Philly and even knew then how rare the song was in a live set.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2018, 07:33:28 AM »
Agree on the intro, it's one of the best moments on WDADU.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2018, 11:45:04 AM »
The opening alone is Dream Theater's most underappreciated moments, pure sublimity!

Cool image!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2018, 05:21:22 PM »
Always loved the song and the album.

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2018, 09:16:03 PM »

Cool image!

I agree, felt fitting  ;)
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline Pragmaticcircus

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2018, 09:17:06 PM »

Aside from The Killing Hand, I absolutely agree. But then TOWHTSTS's intro is even better then that  ;D
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid

Offline jammindude

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2018, 09:21:39 PM »
Absolutely my favorite song from WDADU.   And I feel the same way about it going early in the survivors...just breaks my heart.  The entire song is breathtaking!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2018, 09:22:12 PM »

Aside from The Killing Hand, I absolutely agree. But then TOWHTSTS's intro is even better then that  ;D

TKH is my favorite song on the album, so yeah :biggrin:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Evai

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2018, 05:19:23 AM »
Good song, bad name for a song
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline Pragmaticcircus

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2018, 12:03:06 AM »
Good song, bad name for a song

Sounds like a book title, it's a great name but it's word-salad for a songname  :D

"St J. Petrucedess II - The Lost Ones Who Came To Set The Sun And It's Motions: An Astrological Guide To The Mechanics Of The Birth Of The Stars Book Three"
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid