Author Topic: 2011-07-22 - O2 Academy - Leeds, UK  (Read 21759 times)

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran

Offline linging spirit

1st DT gig
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2011, 06:04:21 AM »
my 1st DT gig at Leeds...really looking forward to it cant wait

Offline deadtotheworld

Re: 2011-07-22 - O2 Academy - Leeds, UK
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2011, 11:15:25 AM »
We went last time they played this venue and waited at the back and met the whole band (apart from Myung as he just quietly waved said hi and entered the venue, everybody knows the score with JM and nobody wanted to hassle him) We just waited round the back of the venue and joined a small bunch of people and greeted the band when they arrived mid afternoon. Oooh I may try and get my EB MM JP6 signed this time!

I remember last time being pleasantly surprised and impressed by Frost - hopefully the support for this gig will be equally as good! Cant wait now.

Online The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2011, 05:52:15 AM »
Ouch.
i feel OLD.
Went to see The Black Crowes at the Shepherd's Bush Empire last night and I am paying for it this morning. Didn't get home till 2.00am.
I think that after DT next Friday and Maiden on the 5th I might have to take up a less strenuous hobby, like having a nice mug of Horlicks while watching Midsummer Murders. Seriously, I've never felt so old and knackered in my life - So anyone going to Leeds - if you see an old geezer at the back snoring on his zimmer-frame, that'll be me.
Now get off my lawn! Young people today, we need another war, that'd sort 'em out...ZZzzzzzzzzzz...
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline deadtotheworld

« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2011, 05:05:50 AM »
Getting worried about not receiving tickets from Ticketmaster now. I dropped them an email, but not got back to me yet! Doh!

Offline petrucci07

« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2011, 05:31:27 AM »
Getting worried about not receiving tickets from Ticketmaster now. I dropped them an email, but not got back to me yet! Doh!

Give them a ring, man. It's the only way.
You might spend a few minutes on hold, but they'll probably sort you out a ticket at the box office that you can just pick up on the day.

Offline deadtotheworld

« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2011, 12:05:53 PM »
Got a reply from them that said that if i havent got the tickets 5 days before I am travelling to the show, contact them.... Dur... Thats what I just did! They said they are a ticket agency that is not responsible for when tickets are dispatched. ??????
I gave them a call and they said if I havent got the tickets 3 days before the show, that i should contact them. I fear the worst. Maybe the crap I went through with the hotels and now this - maybe its just not meant to be! Haha

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2011, 09:18:59 AM »
I'm a late addition to the rollcall, bit of a last minute decision seeing as I've to travel into "enemy territory" from Lancashire, but I have to see the new version of DT. Will be worth it.

Offline petrucci07

« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2011, 09:44:51 AM »
Anyone planning on trying to meet the band after or before the show?

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2011, 07:39:04 AM »
I see they had two nights off between Tel Aviv and Leeds. Here's hoping for LTL as the encore as JLB will be rsted in between gigs.

Online The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2011, 06:19:26 AM »
Tomorrow night! Woo!  :metal :metal :metal :metal
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline petrucci07

« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2011, 10:28:40 AM »
Can't wait for this show.

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2011, 02:04:45 PM »
TOMORROW, F*CK YEAHHH!
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline Metropolis pt.-1

« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2011, 03:20:11 PM »
So excited! My second DT concert, first being in 2009. Can't fuckin wait!

Offline tartarus250

• peace love and good happyness stuff
« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2011, 03:39:51 PM »
i am soooo gutted they atrn't playing scotland :tdwn
The creation and destruction of harmonic and 'statistical' tensions is essential to the maintenance of compositional drama. Any composition (or improvisation) which remains consonant and 'regular' throughout is, for me, equivalent to watching a movie with only 'good guys' in it, or eating cottage cheese.

Offline adameastment

« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2011, 04:54:31 PM »
If anyone is getting the train from Bristol Temple Meads or along the line from Bristol to Leeds, then look for a big* ginger guy in a DT shirt. I can't friggin' wait.

*By big I mean massive.

Offline weezul

« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2011, 04:11:01 AM »
here we, here we, here we f*ckin' go :D Well buzzed, feels like forever since i've been to a DT show
https://www.liamgaughan.com
--Production--Performance--Tuition--

Offline John94

« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2011, 04:48:27 PM »
Same as usual tonight but Metropolis to end.

Gutted I couldn't make it after. Would love to see a few of them songs live (especially Metropolis) at least I didn't miss LTL which could be played tomorrow in Wolves.

Offline jcmoorehead

« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2011, 05:46:33 PM »
Just got in from this and it was absolutely incredible. The entire band was on fire and it was exhausting watching it, cannot wait for the album and to see them again in the future.

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2011, 09:53:52 PM »
Well, Metropolis again... 5 days left for Polish concert, I beg for Metropolis....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I1bnsk5hU8 -  Ytse Jam, with Petrucci going into domination world during his solo ;) and cool view of JM fingers on the screen during his solo ;)

I love the reaction of the Fans on every spot where MM plays alone...  :metal :metal

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2011, 11:56:12 PM »
Well last night was incredible... I'm off to work now on 3 hours sleep and it's totally worth it even though my head feels as though it's on the verge of imploding. Awesome setlist, Through My Words/Fatal Tragedy gave me the most intense goosebumps straight away and it made me feel even more strongly that I have to see Scenes played in its entirety at some point (fingers hella crossed for a 15th anniversary show in a few years like I saw with I&W in Newcastle a few years back). It did feel like a little something was missing in not seeing Portnoy behind the kit because he was always really involved with the crowd and a big force on stage but honestly, Mangini seems to have fitted right in and it was really touching to see how grateful he was for the massive amounts of applause he got for the solo drum solo (which was atypically enthralling I gotta say!!)

I was a bit gutted to end with Metropolis rather than Learning to Live but I'm over it, maybe James' voice wasn't up to the F#. The sound from where I was (just left of centre, 3ish people back from the barrier) wasn't great, the guitar was pretty quiet so every time there was a harmonisation with the keys or whatever, it sounded really strange only hearing the harmony rather than the actual tune. LaBrie was on f*cking fire last night and the whole band seemed to be having a really good time on stage.

Right I must dash, looking forward to hearing what other people thought of last night :D
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline jmarkwilson

« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2011, 12:30:35 AM »
Really enjoyed the show last night. The band seemed to be having fun and enjoying themselves. I really hope somebody has taped it and shares it. Didn't think much to the Edens Curse singer,but the band weren't bad.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 01:01:10 AM by jmarkwilson »

Offline petrucci07

« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2011, 12:39:29 AM »
Amazing show last night, truly brilliant. When I first saw the setlist they were playing I wasn't too sure, but at the show I realised that all those songs absolutely SLAY live! For example, These Walls is an absolute beast.

Caught JP before the show, got a picture:

EDIT: Also, what did everyone think of Eden's Curse? I thought they were atrocious; horribly cheesy, obnoxious lead singer (threw water on the audience during the first song) and the sound was dreadful (all I could hear was the rhythm guitarist's amp). Also, the lead guitarist was left-handed, playing a left- handed guitar, but it was strung like a right-handed? So weird
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 01:03:00 AM by petrucci07 »

Offline DejaVu

• "Don't be frightened of the shadows it creates"
« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2011, 01:18:31 AM »
Amazing show last night, truly brilliant. When I first saw the setlist they were playing I wasn't too sure, but at the show I realised that all those songs absolutely SLAY live! For example, These Walls is an absolute beast.

Caught JP before the show, got a picture:

EDIT: Also, what did everyone think of Eden's Curse? I thought they were atrocious; horribly cheesy, obnoxious lead singer (threw water on the audience during the first song) and the sound was dreadful (all I could hear was the rhythm guitarist's amp). Also, the lead guitarist was left-handed, playing a left- handed guitar, but it was strung like a right-handed? So weird
^Nice picture. I'm jealous of you! :hefdaddy

I'm at the Wolves gig tomorrow, I can't wait. Shocked about Eden's Curse, I quite like their 'Trinity' album, haven't seen any footage of them live just yet, I'll wait and see later :D

I'm really pumped to hear Endless Sacrifice right now, it's been on my mp3 player all this week none stop! :metal

Offline dodido253

« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2011, 03:29:35 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye4NuStprss

What an anemic crowd !
Israel was the best crowd so far

Offline Stonestef

« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2011, 03:46:06 AM »
Under A Glass Moon - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYyuy3G6N-I
That's a nice video,great quality.And I like how during JP's solo he doesn't film JP but the other members.That's nice for a change,to see the others playing that section.And Mangini is a pleasure to watch.

Offline jmarkwilson

« Reply #61 on: July 23, 2011, 03:59:18 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye4NuStprss

What an anemic crowd !
Israel was the best crowd so far

That's the back of my head!

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: July 23, 2011, 04:04:52 AM »
That's a nice video,great quality.And I like how during JP's solo he doesn't film JP but the other members.That's nice for a change,to see the others playing that section.And Mangini is a pleasure to watch.

Wow! This must be my favourite clip so far from the tour. JM is so great to watch during the shows.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2011, 04:18:43 AM »

Holy shit, JM's sound is absolutely killer. Really aggressive without any excess of distortion. Awesome.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2011, 04:32:16 AM »
I really like that JM seems to be so energetic compared to the last tour, and also JL seems to be in great vocal shape!

Offline Blackfield

« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2011, 04:58:08 AM »

Wow! This must be my favourite clip so far from the tour. JM is so great to watch during the shows.

I would stretch ever further, saying that it's on of the best live videos I've seen of DT. It's so up close and in their face, it's like you're up there with them. I hope this guy or girl recorded more of the show!
There's so much new stuff going on on stage now, I can imagine it's hard to choose where to look. Mangini is back there being unhuman, Myung is much more interactive and alive during shows, Petrucci is Petrucci, Jordans stage is closer to Mangini then it was Portnoy making them interact more and off course Labrie being more of a front man and is starting to get more control of his vocals than he had in the start of the tour.

It's looking good in DT land.

Is JM foot pedaling the intro to UAGM?

Offline Stonestef

« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2011, 05:06:26 AM »
I also liked how in the second verse ( 3:03 ),MM changed his dynamics and kept it low and is not like "let's hit it hard to impress them".I don't remember the song being always like this,sorry if it has always been like that.

Edit:And yeah,what is JM doing in the intro?

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2011, 05:23:00 AM »

Is JM foot pedaling the intro to UAGM?

Yeah I noticed this too, I've never seen him do that. Has he gone Geddy Lee on us?
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #68 on: July 23, 2011, 05:32:02 AM »
It really seems like he's operating bass pedals or something like that. In the intro, you can hear a low-frequency sequence that is in unison with the other instruments, and somehow, I doubt that they are coming from JR.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #69 on: July 23, 2011, 06:36:41 AM »
Wow Genie is really hitting that kit hard!!!