Author Topic: School Thread  (Read 14806 times)

Offline Ħ

School Thread
« on: March 29, 2011, 06:41:56 PM »
So I'll be honest, I failed two classes last quarter, am on academic probation, and need to get my act together.  I suspect I'm not the only one in this type of situation, so I want to make this thread to help motivate me and maybe others.  So, by way of introduction, I'm a second year at UC Davis, studying Biochemistry.  This quarter I'm taking Intro to Sociology, Social Problems of the Food Industry, Introduction to Biology, and Statistics for Biological Sciences.  My goal is all A's, to attend all lectures, to do all the work, and to not procrastinate.  I know I can do it, but I just need to push myself.

So does anybody else wanna join in?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
Re: School Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 07:05:51 PM »
I'm dealing with senioritis at the moment, I guess. Jesus Christ, this is awful. I have to fight myself to do any actual schoolwork.  :P

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 07:10:19 PM »
I don't do nearly as well in school as I should.  As smart as I am, I try to focus myself on the things I enjoy doing in school, which is a really stupid thing to do.  Which is probably why I have an A+ in English and a low B in Math.  I can't force myself to enjoy mathematics. 

Anyway, the American education system is a piece of shit.  I had to go to a private school just to put up with a marginally smaller amount of bullshit then I got at my public school. 

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 07:11:00 PM »
I slacked last semester. It was the first semester ever that I did not have a math class, and had all education classes. I like math classes. I ALWAYS have a math class. So last semester was boring to me.

This semester I have an education class that counts as a math class, and we do enough cool stuff that I stay interested. Basically, we learn how to teach things we already know. Well, it seems like I'm the only one in that class that remembers most things from their college level math classes...so much so that they all think I'm some sort of math whiz.

I graduate this fall with my B.S. degree. Any more slacking can only be done in the next few weeks, because that last semester is gonna be so much work. So much that I won't be able to have a job.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 07:13:06 PM »
Social Problems of the Food Industry sounds like a potentially fascinating class.

Anyway, I've had some major problems with motivation. My first semester of freshman year I pulled 4 Cs and a D. I did really well in high school with little effort and I was immature enough to think that skipping class every week and not doing my work would pay off the same way in college.

I recovered mostly, but I'm still a chronic slacker. I'll be graduating with a 3.0 GPA which is pretty darn disappointing considering the high grades I've had to get to bring the average up to a measly 3. I'm in my last semester now and I'm only taking 3 classes, one of which is group piano instruction. So while my workload is considerably less than it once was, I find I'm not doing ANY of it. I just can't get myself to care about my college coursework anymore even though I know it still matters. I'm going to be starting law school in the fall and I just want a fresh start. I plan on busting my ass and staying at the top of my class. But now? Even doing reading for classes I'm interested in seems like nothing short of torture.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 07:22:32 PM »
I didn't give two shits about high school. It was awesome. My grades varied... freshman year I pulled Bs and Cs, sophomore year I did terrible and actually failed a class (which I had to retake next year... wasn't that bad actually), but my last two years of high school I did really well and I made highest honors and got mostly As and Bs.

College is a whole different beast. I never ever studied in high school. I never tried at all, except for a couple of math tests I had. I'm still adjusting to having to study and do work... it's kind of a shock. I'm completing my second year of college now, and to be honest, the workload/stress is becoming wayyy too much for me. I skipped all my classes today because I needed to just take a breather. I'm still getting really good grades (I made dean's list a few times, last semester I just missed it because I got a B-) but I'm pretty worried now that I've narrowed down my studies to business.... not sure if that's the best field for me.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 07:28:17 PM »
Social Problems of the Food Industry sounds like a potentially fascinating class.
Well, it's one of the classes that I failed if that tells you anything.

Anyway where are you guys attending?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 07:33:09 PM »
High School here. Doing great. Getting all A's this year, got all A's last year with the exception of a B in French. Graduated 12 out of 860, and at the end of this year, I plan on being around 6 or 7, and by the time its all said and done, around 4th. I want to go to NYU to major in philosophy and minor in film and potentially go to NYU Law school or any other top law school in the country. That's the plan. We shall see how it works out.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 07:41:21 PM »
Oh yeah, I made Dean's List a few times as well.

I am so very glad I picked the degree I have now, because it is opening up so many job opportunities with math education jobs (much prefer to tutor, I like one on one interaction, not facing a group). But still, in this program I have learned that I love math, much more than I had previously thought (which is really funny because I always scored higher in English than in math). I think something clicked in a college math class (maybe calc 3 or Number theory), but it's like my passion now. Really wanna get my PhD as a mathematician. I have professors already lined to write me letters to get into school for free and be a teacher to the undergrads there (teaching calc).

Offline dethklok09

• Mike
  • Great band
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 07:55:21 PM »
Here's what motivates me: If I can do a great job in school then I would have a better chance in gaining political power and what not. This way I can take the people who make the shit up and beat the shit out of their ideas with what I like to think are more efficient ones. If they can fuck us in the ass for 12 - 20 years with their idea of education I figure I can take a giant shit on their ideas. Excuse my french but I don't like to just let bullshit happen.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 08:06:10 PM »
Senior reporting. I have a really great work ethic, and I'd definitely study for everything if I really needed to. High school is just way too easy. Looking forward to actually having to do some work next year at university.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline dethklok09

• Mike
  • Great band
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 08:07:28 PM »
Senior reporting. I have a really great work ethic, and I'd definitely study for everything if I really needed to. High school is just way too easy. Looking forward to actually having to do some work next year at university.
I thought you were already in college.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 08:10:26 PM »
Nope. I'm accepted, approved to the music program, and they've got a spot reserved for me at the university, but I've still got 2 more months of worthless horse shit to plow through before I can get on with my life.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline dethklok09

• Mike
  • Great band
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 08:13:15 PM »
Nope. I'm accepted, approved to the music program, and they've got a spot reserved for me at the university, but I've still got 2 more months of worthless horse shit to plow through before I can get on with my life.
Now I remember I think you posted that in the chat thread. What school is it anyway, I don't remember?

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2011, 08:15:58 PM »
I struggle a lot with school. I never actually learned to study growing up. I breezed through 12 grades without ever really having to open a book. I find a lot of college instructors I have had either really suck at explaining material, or they have too much stuff in the curriculum and can't get to it all in class. Whenever I try to sit down and teach myself something, it is nearly impossible. If it is something I am really into, I have no real problems with it other than getting myself to do it. If it is something that I have no interest in and have no need to learn it other than it being required, I can't sit there and read. My mind wonders every third word and I begin to get really discouraged after a while of not being able to force myself. Really negative thoughts start racing around my head to the point I get overwhelmed. I end up just closing the book and trying something else. Another problem I have in school now, all the homework is online. It's weird, in highschool I had my homework journal where I had all the assignments I had due written down and I could check them off as I did them. I have 5 classes with 5 different website for handling my homework. Professors tend to add stuff at completely random times, and never follow their initial syllabuses. I end up missing homeworks and online quizzes all the time. 

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2011, 08:16:21 PM »
It's a very awesome university in Ohio, very well-recognized for its music program (Can't say here otherwise Numbers will find out).

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2011, 08:18:32 PM »

Offline dethklok09

• Mike
  • Great band
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2011, 08:19:16 PM »
I struggle a lot with school. I never actually learned to study growing up. I breezed through 12 grades without ever really having to open a book. I find a lot of college instructors I have had either really suck at explaining material, or they have too much stuff in the curriculum and can't get to it all in class. Whenever I try to sit down and teach myself something, it is nearly impossible. If it is something I am really into, I have no real problems with it other than getting myself to do it. If it is something that I have no interest in and have no need to learn it other than it being required, I can't sit there and read. My mind wonders every third word and I begin to get really discouraged after a while of not being able to force myself. Really negative thoughts start racing around my head to the point I get overwhelmed. I end up just closing the book and trying something else. Another problem I have in school now, all the homework is online. It's weird, in highschool I had my homework journal where I had all the assignments I had due written down and I could check them off as I did them. I have 5 classes with 5 different website for handling my homework. Professors tend to add stuff at completely random times, and never follow their initial syllabuses. I end up missing homeworks and online quizzes all the time. 
And I am sure you never check dream theater forums when you do the online work.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2011, 08:58:57 PM »
It's a very awesome university in Ohio, very well-recognized for its music program (Can't say here otherwise Numbers will find out).
https://www.bgsu.edu/colleges/music/

UMH is all like

NO NUMBERS NO

and Numbers is all like

what you gon do beotch??? i no ur game

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2011, 09:10:37 PM »
I'm just at the end of my first year of university (I'm taking Honours Chemistry) and honestly, I could be doing better. I breezed through highschool (although I did put the required effort into it) and actually got better grades each year.
But now, at university, everything's different! There's so much more studying to do. On their own, each of my classes are probably a piece of cake... but taking them all together, at the same time, is definitely a chore.
Like Chino was saying, I can hardly read a text for class without becoming extremely discouraged, and I find I'm wasting more and more time doing nothing/posting on this site  :biggrin: instead of working and studying..

However, I've been receiving B+ to A- range grades this term, as opposed to C+ to B- last term, which is nice. But I could definitely do better.. but I'll have to kick myself in the ass so I stop procrastinating.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2011, 09:21:58 PM »
Dude, come to Louisiana Tech. You'll never have to worry about failing a class ever again...as long as you're not an engineering major.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2011, 09:22:54 PM »
I also wish I had majored in something useful.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2011, 09:24:23 PM »

I thought you were getting your doctorate in love?

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2011, 09:24:52 PM »

I'm an English major.

lololololol

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2011, 09:27:28 PM »
I wish an English Major had applications.  Fucking hell, it would be perfect except for that. 

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2011, 09:29:54 PM »
I'm minoring in marketing, so I consider that my crutch. If it turns out I can't do shit as an English major...I can always say "hey, but I minored in marketing! That's useful right?"

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2011, 09:31:52 PM »

I thought you were getting your doctorate in love?

I am, but my major, political science, has been largely useless. I feel like I should have gotten some sort of computer science degree or something.

Offline Space Invader

• The Canadian Doctor Who Fanatic
  • DTF.org Member
  • Also recently addicted to Survivor
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2011, 09:38:53 PM »

This.

I'm a major in Classics, so essentially I study things which ceased to be relevant a thousand years ago. I really need to get my act together when it comes to my Ancient Greek class (I've been sleeping through a lot of class, falling behind, marks aren't too good) but other than that doing good.

April can't come seen enough though.
Everything can, should and will be progressive.

"The only thing that is certain is that nothing is certain" - Montaigne.

I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street over maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez - Eleventh Doctor

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2011, 09:39:32 PM »

I'm an English major.

lololololol

I really wanted to be an English major... but yeah, there was nothing I could think of to use it with.

I went with business because it seemed vague enough that I don't need to figure out what the fuck I am gonna do with my life now.  :lol

Offline Kura

• (●ゝω・)ノ ♡
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2011, 09:40:15 PM »
How about.. don't make this thread to motivate you.. get off the internet.. and study.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2011, 09:41:28 PM »
How about don't be a jerk about it.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2011, 09:42:58 PM »
How about.. don't make this thread to motivate you.. get off the internet.. and study.

I'm sorry mom I'll get off the internet in like 5 minutes I swear

Offline Kura

• (●ゝω・)ノ ♡
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2011, 09:44:33 PM »
Just being honest man, if I was failing my classes I wouldn't be spending my time here but rather in tutoring. It's nice to have a "support" group, but we have that accomplishments thread don't we? If he posted there "I did an extra hour of studying today" I think that'd just be as rewarding. But maybe that's just my opinion: you just gotta do it. And calling someone a jerk isn't nice either.

Edit: I wasn't posting to sound mean.. but if he needs motivation.. then I'll tell him to get his ass up and study, cause that's what he needs, doesn't he?

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2011, 09:48:33 PM »

I'm an English major.

lololololol

I really wanted to be an English major... but yeah, there was nothing I could think of to use it with.

I went with business because it seemed vague enough that I don't need to figure out what the fuck I am gonna do with my life now.  :lol

Ah, so they ended up letting you go past the deadline?

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2011, 09:52:57 PM »

I'm an English major.

lololololol

Well maybe you'll find a career that works in sync with that.  :laugh: