Author Topic: Eddie Trunk: "Mike Mangini is the new DT Drummer"  (Read 66275 times)

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
Re: Eddie Trunk: "Mike Mangini is the new DT Drummer"
« Reply #175 on: March 30, 2011, 10:22:32 AM »
I can't believe anyone ever assumed it was anyone other than Mangini after we knew Minnemann and Lang were out, tbh.
Were Minnemann and Lang ever officially out though?

Yeah.  Minnemann joined another band, and Hef heard from someone he knew Lang was out.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline emtee

« Reply #176 on: March 30, 2011, 10:34:41 AM »
Whoever it is, I hope they spent a great deal of time contemplating this gig. For the remainder of his time as DT's
drummer he will FOREVER be compared to Portnoy, both from a recording/creative standpoint and especially from
a live performance standpoint. And he will spend the better part of his career playing Portnoy's parts. The questions
and comparisons will never end. And I predict, after a few years, it will get to be too much and the guy will
either explode in frustration or say...See ya.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #177 on: March 30, 2011, 10:37:54 AM »
Whoever it is, I hope they spent a great deal of time contemplating this gig. For the remainder of his time as DT's
drummer he will FOREVER be compared to Portnoy, both from a recording/creative standpoint and especially from
a live performance standpoint. And he will spend the better part of his career playing Portnoy's parts. The questions
and comparisons will never end. And I predict, after a few years, it will get to be too much and the guy will

No way. I don't know if you've noticed, but a huge chunk of fans have been frustrated with Portnoy from every perspective imaginable, from his playing to his personality to how he conducted Dream Theater, etc.

The new drummer has it easy, I think. The only thing he's going to have to do to win over the hearts of the fans on the new album is play a couple of ghost notes.

Offline emtee

« Reply #178 on: March 30, 2011, 10:42:55 AM »
I stand by my prediction.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #179 on: March 30, 2011, 10:53:16 AM »
I'd agree with you to the extent that there will be fans who compare in the same manner that the Kevin Moore/JR comparisons still linger. It's inevitable. I think that all parties involved in the decision though, including those who auditioned, were/are fully aware of that and they most likely chose the guy who will not allow that type of silly thing to bother him.
  Every drummer 'rumored' to have auditioned is a world class drummer...completely capable of handling MP's music. I'd expect whoever it is will make DT's prior songs 'his own' in a way...keeping the integrity of the song together but adding his own little flare or stamp to it. Much like JR does with some of the older DT stuff.
  I think that it's more likely the fans will get sick of the comparisons long before it even begins to garner any attention from the guys in DT.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #180 on: March 30, 2011, 10:55:51 AM »
The wiki on Mangini is still the same. Though it was updated last year to show him as drumming with DT it has since changed back to normal.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline darkshot

« Reply #181 on: March 30, 2011, 10:57:57 AM »
I'd agree with you to the extent that there will be fans who compare in the same manner that the Kevin Moore/JR comparisons still linger. It's inevitable. I think that all parties involved in the decision though, including those who auditioned, were/are fully aware of that and they most likely chose the guy who will not allow that type of silly thing to bother him.
  Every drummer 'rumored' to have auditioned is a world class drummer...completely capable of handling MP's music. I'd expect whoever it is will make DT's prior songs 'his own' in a way...keeping the integrity of the song together but adding his own little flare or stamp to it. Much like JR does with some of the older DT stuff.
  I think that it's more likely the fans will get sick of the comparisons long before it even begins to garner any attention from the guys in DT.

They will be compared the same way Jordan is compared to Kevin, some people will prefer MP over anyone else no matter what.  And many people will embrace the change as well.

The wiki on Mangini is still the same. Though it was updated last year to show him as drumming with DT it has since changed back to normal.

The wiki can be edited by anyone, people go in an write that hes officially a member with no evidence whatsoever.  Those edits can sometimes go under the radar for a while until someone notices and fixes it.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #182 on: March 30, 2011, 11:05:08 AM »
How is it 'nothing to get excited about'? For the first time in over 6 months of trying, someone other than Blabbermouth (who can't be trusted with these things), and someone who is highly respected in his field, has blatantly come out and publically stated that 'The new Dream Theater drummer is *name*'.

Yes, and then he went on to say "Well... so I've heard."

And then he went on to say "Anyway, whoever it turns out to be..."

Offline mittinagus

• Mexican Bad-ass...
  • Matando Güeros!
« Reply #183 on: March 30, 2011, 11:19:12 AM »
How is it 'nothing to get excited about'? For the first time in over 6 months of trying, someone other than Blabbermouth (who can't be trusted with these things), and someone who is highly respected in his field, has blatantly come out and publically stated that 'The new Dream Theater drummer is *name*'.

Yes it's just a rumor, but at this point does anybody really think it's any other than Mangini?

Tin

Offline Raziel666

• Infinite Moonloops
« Reply #184 on: March 30, 2011, 11:44:52 AM »
Minnemann joined another band

What band did Minnemann join?

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: March 30, 2011, 12:16:46 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBCSMjHJAvg

Right around the 2:40 mark
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 12:35:03 PM by wkiml »
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #186 on: March 30, 2011, 12:25:00 PM »
Whoa, 6 pages?

Anyway, let's just wait for the official release. Never seen Trunk so insistant that one of his tweets was a rumor tho :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #187 on: March 30, 2011, 12:30:13 PM »

Really, O? I realize that it's not official, but Eddie Trunk does not make that tweet unless he knows.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jmbeat

« Reply #188 on: March 30, 2011, 01:28:50 PM »
Biased towards Portnoy. If this were true: 1. This is going against DT's wishes. 2. He wants to steal DT's thunder with the announcement. 3. Stealing it means that a third person could feel better because the official news of his replacement didn't make that much of an impact as it could have.

I really don't think Mike Portnoy is all that petty, but I'm surprised to see even his biggest defenders here apparently do. Honestly, I doubt Mike is even Eddie's source.

MP not petty, he deleted posts and banned people from his forum because of taking things out of context from JLB interviews, i would not be surprised if he is behind this.
"So just shut your face and take a seat because after all you're just talking meat.....and music?  Well that's just entertainment folks.---Devin Townsend

"I'm not drinking until Saturday"---My Wife;)

Offline Bone_Daddy

« Reply #189 on: March 30, 2011, 01:37:21 PM »
No way. I don't know if you've noticed, but a huge chunk of fans have been frustrated with Portnoy from every perspective imaginable, from his playing to his personality to how he conducted Dream Theater, etc.

The new drummer has it easy, I think. The only thing he's going to have to do to win over the hearts of the fans on the new album is play a couple of ghost notes.

I shared that frustration with fans with regards to MP in pretty much every aspect.

I wouldn't say the new drummer has it easy but has more of a clean slate and supportive band members to embrace the dawn of a new era of DT.

The proof will be in the music. We can all judge from there.

Offline theusualmadness

« Reply #190 on: March 30, 2011, 01:41:16 PM »
I will wait for the official announcement, this is still just a rumor. However, if it is Mangini, this will give him a chance to see what he can do with a well versed band like DT. He is is definitely a good drummer.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #191 on: March 30, 2011, 01:43:07 PM »
Could this possibly be a tale of two Mikes?
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #192 on: March 30, 2011, 02:01:21 PM »
ET is friends with MP as we know..so Im sure ET is a bit bitter at DT and really could care less about any negativity towards him for leaking this

I feel numb.
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Aniland

« Reply #193 on: March 30, 2011, 02:10:02 PM »
God, this thread...

Offline STEVETHEATER

• Seize the day...
  • Carpe Diem!
« Reply #194 on: March 30, 2011, 02:21:06 PM »

:P

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #195 on: March 30, 2011, 02:21:27 PM »
God, this thread...

I actually think that some people here want there to be tensions between the band and MP.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #196 on: March 30, 2011, 02:22:48 PM »
God, this thread...

I actually think that some people here want there to be tensions between the band and MP.
'Course they do!

Drama is interesting. It's why soaps do so well and why rumours get spread.

Offline TL

« Reply #197 on: March 30, 2011, 02:36:38 PM »

:P

Some say he can play in 5/13 time, and that his favorite Led Zeppelin song is Tom Sawyer...

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: March 30, 2011, 02:41:20 PM »
Do you guys think that DT will reveal all the guys who auditioned at some point?  It would be nice to know, but it could also lead to some grumbling among fans if Mangini was picked over certain other favorites.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline majo

« Reply #199 on: March 30, 2011, 02:46:47 PM »
Do you guys think that DT will reveal all the guys who auditioned at some point? 
dont think so. but some of them may speak out themselves eventualy...
Life's too short to remove USB safely.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #200 on: March 30, 2011, 02:53:19 PM »
Do you guys think that DT will reveal all the guys who auditioned at some point?
Remember the post that said they will release a DVD with this whole process.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #201 on: March 30, 2011, 03:01:04 PM »
Remember the post that said they will release a DVD with this whole process.
There was no post, only speculation.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #202 on: March 30, 2011, 03:06:29 PM »
That was from Major Thirteenth. I, for one, did not get the feeling that M13 was posting out of his ass. Maybe he was, but I didn't get that feeling, I could be wrong. He also seemed pretty sure to have first hand experience that Mangini is there. A drum audition video doesn't necessaroly mean all of the "losers" will be featured. It could simply be a documentary of Mangini's progress through the whole episode.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #203 on: March 30, 2011, 03:38:46 PM »
Also, not sure if this has been mentioned, but if it is Mangini then he wasn't with the band during the songwriting process.  If you check the news section on his website mikemangini.com, he makes it pretty clear that he's been at home doing various things in January and February while the DT guys claim to be busy writing.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #204 on: March 30, 2011, 03:48:33 PM »
Also, not sure if this has been mentioned, but if it is Mangini then he wasn't with the band during the songwriting process.  If you check the news section on his website mikemangini.com, he makes it pretty clear that he's been at home doing various things in January and February while the DT guys claim to be busy writing.
Perhaps that was an attempt to throw everyone off or just remain under the radar. And, doesn't he live in NY/Long Island where the rest of DT resides? Maybe DT is recording at his house? :metal
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #205 on: March 30, 2011, 03:57:12 PM »
Mangini lives in Boston, doesn't he?
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #206 on: March 30, 2011, 04:08:00 PM »
He lives in Massachusetts, yes.  As for trying to throw people off, seems like a weird thing for him do, lol.  So I doubt it.  But maybe.  I still think the band most likely wrote the album without him and he was home, like his new updates in Jan and Feb suggest.  

Offline theusualmadness

« Reply #207 on: March 30, 2011, 04:55:51 PM »
Just in from JR on facebook/twitter:

"Had a great meeting with the our label, Roadrunner today. All kindsa cool coming your way very soon!"

Offline darkshot

« Reply #208 on: March 30, 2011, 05:10:16 PM »
Hmm interesting tweet.  How much you want to bet the meeting was about Eddie Trunk's tweet, the label might be pressured to just announce it already, since the cat is perhaps out of the bag.  Or maybe they need to make a statement to say its NOT Mangini.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #209 on: March 30, 2011, 05:19:14 PM »
Hmm interesting tweet.  How much you want to bet the meeting was about Eddie Trunk's tweet, the label might be pressured to just announce it already, since the cat is perhaps out of the bag.  Or maybe they need to make a statement to say its NOT Mangini.

this is very possible. Maybe also getting any last minute contractual obligations settled.

it could also be that the label is setting up a release date for the new album