Author Topic: Eddie Trunk: "Mike Mangini is the new DT Drummer"  (Read 66272 times)

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Eddie Trunk: "Mike Mangini is the new DT Drummer"
« Reply #140 on: March 29, 2011, 09:28:34 PM »
Biased towards Portnoy. If this were true: 1. This is going against DT's wishes. 2. He wants to steal DT's thunder with the announcement. 3. Stealing it means that a third person could feel better because the official news of his replacement didn't make that much of an impact as it could have.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #141 on: March 29, 2011, 09:35:33 PM »
Biased towards Portnoy. If this were true: 1. This is going against DT's wishes. 2. He wants to steal DT's thunder with the announcement. 3. Stealing it means that a third person could feel better because the official news of his replacement didn't make that much of an impact as it could have.

I really don't think Mike Portnoy is all that petty, but I'm surprised to see even his biggest defenders here apparently do. Honestly, I doubt Mike is even Eddie's source.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #142 on: March 29, 2011, 09:42:40 PM »
I actually think that someone else "confirmed" the news to Eddie and he just went wild with it without talking about it with MP, kinda just to say "I got your back, Jack (MP)". That's why, if this news is true, I'm just blaming Eddie Trunk.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: March 29, 2011, 09:44:55 PM »
Care to make any more wild guesses as to how or why Eddie came to announce the rumor?  ;D

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #144 on: March 29, 2011, 09:51:15 PM »
I'm with PC on this one. It's kind of his job to talk about things like this, no?

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #145 on: March 29, 2011, 10:15:34 PM »
Are you guys at all surprised that fans are blowing it out of proportion and over analyzing things that nobody but the people involved really have any idea about?
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #146 on: March 29, 2011, 10:28:24 PM »
This would not be an issue if it wasn't well known that Eddie is a good friend of Mike, and the rumour/announcement/leak concerns Mike's replacement.  If he was a friend of JP, or JM or anyone else, it would be assumed that he has the inside track.  If he didn't know anyone in the band personally, he's just another guy guessing and speculating, like us. 

Instead, he knows Mike and everyone knows that, so that makes it weird somehow.  He's just a guy whose job it is to talk and write about music.  If he doesn't have the inside info, he didn't "leak" anything, so he's not being a dick and people should just chill.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #147 on: March 29, 2011, 11:00:10 PM »
Well, he heard it from what he called "reliable sources." So he leaked a leak.  :lol
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #148 on: March 29, 2011, 11:52:11 PM »
Yeah, he's just spreading rumors, same as anyone else.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: March 29, 2011, 11:56:42 PM »
Eh, anyone who'd make an issue out of this doesn't have thick enough skin to hold a job that put them in the public eye.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #150 on: March 30, 2011, 12:17:59 AM »
He said, he heard it from a friend, which is a rumor.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: March 30, 2011, 12:20:34 AM »
Actually, he said it was a rumor.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: March 30, 2011, 05:01:34 AM »
Do you guys really think that the only person he knows in the business is MP? After being under wraps this long I'm sure there are a ton of people out there behind the scenes on the business side of things that know. Eddie Trunk has been in the industry a long time and knows people.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: March 30, 2011, 05:08:54 AM »
No, glarung. Eddie only knows MP, who also somehow knows, and was the only person willing to tell Eddie anything, even though he's been in the business for a long time and is probably the biggest personality around that covers this kind of musical demographic. Anyway MP somehow found out and told him to tell everyone because he's just some pissy brat that wants to spoil the thunder DT have going by making people wait.

Because here at DTF, any time someone has idea about something douchey Mike might have done there's a cloud of people who just can't wait to believe it.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #154 on: March 30, 2011, 05:42:37 AM »
I don't by that PC.  Eddie knows a ton of insiders.  Right or wrong.  Eddie got the dirt.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #155 on: March 30, 2011, 06:20:30 AM »
Im guessing some studio tech told eddie that Mangini has been in studio with DT.

Great.

That only tells me that a career sessions drummer has been doing another "session" with a band currently in need of a drummer. I don't even think it's a try out. I think they needed a half decent drummer to sit in on a new album. Will he be the guy that tours on this disc? Seems plausible. Will he be the new drummer permanently? Who knows.

Until I hear it from the band.
This is just another thread of speculation.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #156 on: March 30, 2011, 06:34:58 AM »

Until I hear it from the band.
This is just another thread of speculation.
Yeah, I can understand that, but this is more than some anonymous poster saying he "heard" something.

That only tells me that a career sessions drummer has been doing another "session" with a band currently in need of a drummer. I don't even think it's a try out. I think they needed a half decent drummer to sit in on a new album. Will he be the guy that tours on this disc? Seems plausible. Will he be the new drummer permanently? Who knows.

I don't know...I mean DT has been pretty clear that they have a guy and they were also pretty clear that they didn't want a session drummer or temporary one. There's just no way that their new "permanent" drummer is not with them.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: March 30, 2011, 06:44:26 AM »
I don't by that PC.  Eddie knows a ton of insiders.  Right or wrong.  Eddie got the dirt.

I know I was being 110 percent sarcastic.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #158 on: March 30, 2011, 06:52:44 AM »
So, are most taking this info as accurate and real, or are you still not convinced?
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
« Reply #159 on: March 30, 2011, 06:55:27 AM »
Are you guys at all surprised that fans are blowing it out of proportion and over analyzing things that nobody but the people involved really have any idea about?
It's what we do.

:lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #160 on: March 30, 2011, 06:57:36 AM »
So, are most taking this info as accurate and real, or are you still not convinced?

I've been convinced for a while now.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #161 on: March 30, 2011, 07:03:43 AM »

I'm taking it as a rumor with maybe a little more chance of being true than some others.  But since it's one of the names that's been tossed around for a while anyway and it's still not confirmed, it's nothing new and therefore nothing to get excited about.

The thread title seemed like an actual announcement or bona fide leak, however, and that got people's attention.  Turns out it's just more rumormongering.  Same old thing.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #162 on: March 30, 2011, 07:37:51 AM »
I'm convinced and happy.  :metal

Offline dongringo

« Reply #163 on: March 30, 2011, 08:07:24 AM »
I'm pretty much convinced it's Mangini. But I already was before the Eddie Trunk leak. And yes I think it's a leak, because of who it comes from. But yes it's unconfirmed. And yes this is just my opinion.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline bobs23

• human mic stand
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #164 on: March 30, 2011, 08:11:49 AM »
It is true that he is friends with MP, but think about it, the only communication that he has had with DT has been through lawyers. Do you think that JP called up MP and told him who is replacement is. I highly doubt MP is Eddies source.
*note I didn't go though all 5 pages of this thread, so sorry if this has already been mentioned...carry on

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #165 on: March 30, 2011, 08:21:23 AM »

Where's the green dammit!! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #166 on: March 30, 2011, 08:28:56 AM »
He said, he heard it from a friend, which is a rumor.

Actually, he said it was a rumor.

I heard the rumor was a rumor.  :p
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #167 on: March 30, 2011, 09:16:45 AM »

I'm taking it as a rumor with maybe a little more chance of being true than some others.  But since it's one of the names that's been tossed around for a while anyway and it's still not confirmed, it's nothing new and therefore nothing to get excited about.

The thread title seemed like an actual announcement or bona fide leak, however, and that got people's attention.  Turns out it's just more rumormongering.  Same old thing.
Yeah exactly.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #168 on: March 30, 2011, 09:30:18 AM »
I'm just thinking, on one hand it would be a dickish move of course by Trunk. On the other hand, for fuck's sake, it's been more than 6 months of no announcement by DT. If someone leaks the info, DT shouldn't exactly be surprised.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: March 30, 2011, 09:44:25 AM »
This would not be an issue if it wasn't well known that Eddie is a good friend of Mike, and the rumour/announcement/leak concerns Mike's replacement.  If he was a friend of JP, or JM or anyone else, it would be assumed that he has the inside track.  If he didn't know anyone in the band personally, he's just another guy guessing and speculating, like us. 

Instead, he knows Mike and everyone knows that, so that makes it weird somehow.  He's just a guy whose job it is to talk and write about music.  If he doesn't have the inside info, he didn't "leak" anything, so he's not being a dick and people should just chill.
This is what I'm saying. I understand it is his job, but we know how he is such a good friend of MP, we can't forget that detail. Also, I'm just saying that he is being a turd IF the news were to be confirmed.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #170 on: March 30, 2011, 09:46:17 AM »
How is it 'nothing to get excited about'? For the first time in over 6 months of trying, someone other than Blabbermouth (who can't be trusted with these things), and someone who is highly respected in his field, has blatantly come out and publically stated that 'The new Dream Theater drummer is *name*'.

Of course, Mangini's name has been tossed around as being a contender for months, but then so have all the others in the 'Place Your Bets' thread.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #171 on: March 30, 2011, 09:54:15 AM »
How is it 'nothing to get excited about'? For the first time in over 6 months of trying, someone other than Blabbermouth (who can't be trusted with these things), and someone who is highly respected in his field, has blatantly come out and publically stated that 'The new Dream Theater drummer is *name*'.

This.

It is true that he is friends with MP, but think about it, the only communication that he has had with DT has been through lawyers. Do you think that JP called up MP and told him who is replacement is. I highly doubt MP is Eddies source.
*note I didn't go though all 5 pages of this thread, so sorry if this has already been mentioned...carry on

I do agree. Not only that, but if Trunk is making a tweet basically saying that Mangini is the guy, my guess is that he's heard it from more than one "reliable source".

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
  • I like big biquads and I cannot lie.
« Reply #172 on: March 30, 2011, 10:01:34 AM »
I can't believe anyone ever assumed it was anyone other than Mangini after we knew Minnemann and Lang were out, tbh.

Offline TL

« Reply #173 on: March 30, 2011, 10:16:27 AM »
I can't believe anyone ever assumed it was anyone other than Mangini after we knew Minnemann and Lang were out, tbh.
Were Minnemann and Lang ever officially out though?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #174 on: March 30, 2011, 10:17:48 AM »
No one ever even had half of the evidence Mangini had pointing to them.