Author Topic: Eddie Trunk: "Mike Mangini is the new DT Drummer"  (Read 66263 times)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Eddie Trunk: "Mike Mangini is the new DT Drummer"
« Reply #105 on: March 29, 2011, 12:46:35 PM »
He's a professional, not some douchy guy who just wants to stir things up. Thank god someone in the news portion of the industry finally has the balls to actually do their job, and go out and find out what's going on-- even if it's as little helping circulate a rumor or something. 

A professional's job is to spread an unconfirmed, by his own admission, rumor?  This reminds me of when ESPN's guys talk about unconfirmed rumors, so if they turn out to be true, they can say they were the first one to break the story. 
Agreed.

"By his own admission" is why it's perfectly acceptable.
And also why it's therefore meaningless and no more relevant than the guy who posted in the Place Your Bets thread.

I'm not saying I don't think it's Mangini, it seems most likely that it is. I'm just saying that this isn't a "leak" any more than other things we've heard.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #106 on: March 29, 2011, 12:56:12 PM »
Trunk always got his DT-related info from MP. So, if he got this one actually from MP, it would be a total dick move from the two of them. I can't see that having happened really, so my guess is Trunk is talking out of his butt.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #107 on: March 29, 2011, 12:57:41 PM »
He's a professional, not some douchy guy who just wants to stir things up. Thank god someone in the news portion of the industry finally has the balls to actually do their job, and go out and find out what's going on-- even if it's as little helping circulate a rumor or something. 

A professional's job is to spread an unconfirmed, by his own admission, rumor?  This reminds me of when ESPN's guys talk about unconfirmed rumors, so if they turn out to be true, they can say they were the first one to break the story. 

Eddie doesn't gossip like this normally so I'll guess the DT guys gave him the info.

I doubt Trunk would let the cat out of the bag if anyone from the band actually told him.  That is basically telling the world that you cant keep a secret, and no one will ever confide in you again.  So, given that, I doubt he got it straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
« Reply #108 on: March 29, 2011, 01:04:10 PM »

One of life's few absolute truths, my friend. I wonder if there are any super slow-mo videos of people getting punched in the face?
Those would be fun to watch  :biggrin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FqpDmUO0y0

:clap: Bravo sir

Also, if you pause the vid at 13 seconds, the guy getting punched looks like he wants to kill everything in the immediate radius of his fists.

I doubt Trunk would let the cat out of the bag if anyone from the band actually told him.  That is basically telling the world that you cant keep a secret, and no one will ever confide in you again. So, given that, I doubt he got it straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

A reasonable assumption.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #109 on: March 29, 2011, 01:04:48 PM »
I agree with Kev that this almost definitely did not come from one of the DT guys. I also think it's unlikely this came from MP because he's trying to heal his reputation, and if he was discovered to be the source of such games it would only further hurt his image. While I doubt that Trunk can be 100% certain let's consider that he's a big NYC area player with lots of connections. He could very well have reliable info and there is no good reason to simply dismiss him as talking out of his ass. Perhaps it's because I've thought for awhile now that it's obviously Mangini, but I think Trunk will be shown to be correct on this one.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #110 on: March 29, 2011, 01:15:16 PM »

Eddie doesn't gossip like this normally so I'll guess the DT guys gave him the info.

I doubt Trunk would let the cat out of the bag if anyone from the band actually told him.  That is basically telling the world that you cant keep a secret, and no one will ever confide in you again.  So, given that, I doubt he got it straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

So if that's the case, what is his motives.  Does he leak stuff like this on his radio show?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #111 on: March 29, 2011, 01:24:22 PM »
So if that's the case, what is his motives.  Does he leak stuff like this on his radio show?
We are discussing Eddie Trunk and his radio show. His motive has been fulfilled.

Offline Orion1967

« Reply #112 on: March 29, 2011, 01:27:25 PM »
It seems A LITTLE BIT wrong for Eddie to spew out this unofficial info, but whatever. I am familiar with Mangini from Extreme, and solo James. He seems solid, but he is no Portnoy. I guess I will judge him by what he does with DT, and give him a fair chance.

Ok, let me preface by saying Portnoy is by far one of the best drummers alive on this planet IMHO... however...  I think that Mangini can quite possibly drum circles around MP...  again just an opinion but by comparing all the you tube footage and soundfiles available.
Cool Story Bro. 

Tell it again

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #113 on: March 29, 2011, 02:49:16 PM »
Cool.

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #114 on: March 29, 2011, 03:01:06 PM »
It seems A LITTLE BIT wrong for Eddie to spew out this unofficial info, but whatever. I am familiar with Mangini from Extreme, and solo James. He seems solid, but he is no Portnoy. I guess I will judge him by what he does with DT, and give him a fair chance.

Ok, let me preface by saying Portnoy is by far one of the best drummers alive on this planet IMHO... however...  I think that Mangini can quite possibly drum circles around MP...  again just an opinion but by comparing all the you tube footage and soundfiles available.
He definitely can, but his style is not that entertaining. MP on the other side is fun to hear, in spite of not being as technical as others.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #115 on: March 29, 2011, 03:03:57 PM »
One reason I like Mangini joining DT - More blonde haired members.  Diversity is important you know.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #116 on: March 29, 2011, 03:05:14 PM »
His name doesn't start with J though. He's different. Different is bad. That's why JLB goes by his middle name.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #117 on: March 29, 2011, 03:19:08 PM »
His name doesn't start with J though. He's different. Different is bad. That's why JLB goes by his middle name.

James/John/John/Jordan

Wow.  Never noticed that before.
Over and over again

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #118 on: March 29, 2011, 03:38:00 PM »

James/John/John/Jordan

That's why you wanted John Macaluso  :)

Offline EstyMaJ

« Reply #119 on: March 29, 2011, 03:40:20 PM »
So i found this video and started to say hmmmm alot more now  :biggrin:
Oh and i forgot to metion this really shows how inside out he plays as far as how he sets up his kit and there are also 2 other videos one of him playing Rush- zanadu and A Zep medley if you want anything else other than solos .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kAwqkIpKY4&feature=related

Offline T-ski

« Reply #120 on: March 29, 2011, 03:48:57 PM »
So i found this video and started to say hmmmm alot more now  :biggrin:
Oh and i forgot to metion this really shows how inside out he plays as far as how he sets up his kit and there are also 2 other videos one of him playing Rush- zanadu and A Zep medley if you want anything else other than solos .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kAwqkIpKY4&feature=related

man, check out the crowd in the back, they are really into it.  :lol
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Aniland

« Reply #121 on: March 29, 2011, 03:59:36 PM »
#
Volker Jäkel: Dream Theater?
17 minutes ago · LikeUnlike
#
Michael Mangini: don't go there on this page...
16 minutes ago · LikeUnlike · 2 people

From Facebook. He obviously doesn't like talking about it.

Why isn't there more discussion about this^

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: March 29, 2011, 04:12:53 PM »
What is there to say.  It's a "No Comment".
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline tartarus250

• peace love and good happyness stuff
« Reply #123 on: March 29, 2011, 05:42:08 PM »
this is another good example of mike's playing something other than heavy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWhqGPKfqvA&feature=related im getting exited!!
The creation and destruction of harmonic and 'statistical' tensions is essential to the maintenance of compositional drama. Any composition (or improvisation) which remains consonant and 'regular' throughout is, for me, equivalent to watching a movie with only 'good guys' in it, or eating cottage cheese.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #124 on: March 29, 2011, 05:50:41 PM »

James/John/John/Jordan

Yeah, but the drummer has always been Mike.  You don't mess with a winning formula.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #125 on: March 29, 2011, 06:16:43 PM »

Is Mangini sporting a half-goatee in that vid  :lol

**EDIT** oh, it's a mic

Offline dongringo

« Reply #126 on: March 29, 2011, 06:22:30 PM »
A couple more tweets from Eddie Trunk:

"The Mangini rumour for DT is something that has been talked about on my radio show many times last few weeks. Strange it's such news here?"

and

"And please don't leave off the part I said about UNCONFIRMED when posting about it. It's just stuff I hear. We will see soon."

Lol He's trying to fan the flames now.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: March 29, 2011, 06:24:09 PM »

Saw them do that live in Boston.  Mangini was very impressive playing with Extreme.

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #128 on: March 29, 2011, 07:02:11 PM »
Does anyone actually listen to Trunk's radio show? Is it true that Mangini has been discussed? Even if he has, surely it's been among other names, why pick that one to tweet about?

I don't think it was MP; they won't even talk to him about the Ytse Jam Records stuff, how the hell would he know who the drummer is? I guess Trunk is technically media, but from what I've seen of him (and that's been limited) I'm surprised he would tweet about this. Let's just say I'll be very surprised if JP went on his show like MP has before the last few albums.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #129 on: March 29, 2011, 07:06:54 PM »
A couple more tweets from Eddie Trunk:

"The Mangini rumour for DT is something that has been talked about on my radio show many times last few weeks. Strange it's such news here?"

and

"And please don't leave off the part I said about UNCONFIRMED when posting about it. It's just stuff I hear. We will see soon."

Lol He's trying to fan the flames now.

Why is he continuing to tweet about this unless it's a big deal.  This is what happens when you wait too long to announce something in the internet era.  Eventually it gets out.
Over and over again

Offline dongringo

« Reply #130 on: March 29, 2011, 07:08:51 PM »
I like this clip because it highlights Mike's personality working in the studio and shows how ambidextrous he is at the end of the clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQTBtkB_mWQ
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: March 29, 2011, 07:26:46 PM »
I agree with Kev that this almost definitely did not come from one of the DT guys. I also think it's unlikely this came from MP because he's trying to heal his reputation, and if he was discovered to be the source of such games it would only further hurt his image. While I doubt that Trunk can be 100% certain let's consider that he's a big NYC area player with lots of connections. He could very well have reliable info and there is no good reason to simply dismiss him as talking out of his ass. Perhaps it's because I've thought for awhile now that it's obviously Mangini, but I think Trunk will be shown to be correct on this one.

This. Why does everyone instantly assume that Trunks would just go blab stuff he didn't have any good reason to? Do people here really think that lowly of him?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #132 on: March 29, 2011, 07:32:26 PM »
Well, I don't think highly of someone who leaks something like this that the band is temporarily trying to keep a lid on.  It's not like he is exposing a government coverup for the greater public good.  He is reporting something the band does not want out yet and fully intends to release on their own.  Maybe the band doesn't see it this way, but I personally feel it is a jerk move.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline dongringo

« Reply #133 on: March 29, 2011, 07:35:14 PM »
Me too. He also appeared to be leaking info about a new VH album.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: March 29, 2011, 07:40:09 PM »
Well, I don't think highly of someone who leaks something like this that the band is temporarily trying to keep a lid on.  It's not like he is exposing a government coverup for the greater public good.  He is reporting something the band does not want out yet and fully intends to release on their own.  Maybe the band doesn't see it this way, but I personally feel it is a jerk move.

And it's not like Dream Theater's public image is a delicate (or as important) as some kind of government secret. It's just entertainment, folks. Personally, I'm just happy to hear some new information-- even if just a rumor-- come from a reputable source. I'm tired of everything we get to talk about the band being from either 1.) those officiated, PR type statements or 2.) Shit-stirrers like Blabbermouth who just throw completely baseless stuff out there.

Again, I'm sure Eddie's standards for what 'rumors' he'd be willing to talk about are much higher than Blabbermouth's. If people actually think journalists owe it to bands to "be nice" and help them keep up whatever image it is they're going for, though, that's another thing which I guess I don't really want to get into.

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #135 on: March 29, 2011, 08:29:19 PM »

Again, I'm sure Eddie's standards for what 'rumors' he'd be willing to talk about are much higher than Blabbermouth's. If people actually think journalists owe it to bands to "be nice" and help them keep up whatever image it is they're going for, though, that's another thing which I guess I don't really want to get into.
That's a good point. If he were a straight up journalist, it's his job to report the news; opinions of him and the wishes of others be damned. But the impression, albeit from limited exposure, that I have gotten of Trunk is that is not the case. He seemed to try to become friends with the musicians he talks about. When MP went on his show they talked like old friends, not like most of the 8 million other interviews MP does/did in the course of an album cycle. So if your trying to be friends with these guys, then I would certainly agree that it's a jerk move.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #136 on: March 29, 2011, 08:36:02 PM »

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #137 on: March 29, 2011, 08:43:26 PM »
In Eddie's defense, now that MP has left, I think he's approaching DT from the fan perspective just like we are. I don't think he's friends with any of them. It just so happens he's a fan who knows a lot of people.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: March 29, 2011, 09:17:28 PM »
Lol, great day to be absent from the DT side.

If this news is true, one cannot forget that Eddie Trunk and MP are good friends. What do you think everyone's first reaction was? Eddie Trunk is a dick. If this news is true, Trunk is a douchebag for what bösk1 said. This what happens when you are a journalist and friend from a member in the band: you are biased.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: March 29, 2011, 09:26:08 PM »
Lol, great day to be absent from the DT side.

If this news is true, one cannot forget that Eddie Trunk and MP are good friends. What do you think everyone's first reaction was? Eddie Trunk is a dick. If this news is true, Trunk is a douchebag for what bösk1 said. This what happens when you are a journalist and friend from a member in the band: you are biased.

How is announcing a rumor about the new DT drummer in anyway making Eddie biased? Maybe he is biased towards Portnoy, but there's nothing about announcing the rumor itself that is biased.