Author Topic: Learning the Blues v. Halp  (Read 4171 times)

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
Learning the Blues v. Halp
« on: February 22, 2011, 09:44:37 PM »
So, I've been playing for a little under two years now, and have lately been picking up on the blues fairly slowly. I know the major and minor pentatonic scales fairly decently, and a small amount of chord shapes (I've also come up with a few riffs/licks on my own that are fairly simple and general that I play quite a bit.)

I'm making this thread because I was wondering if anyone could throw me a few tips for a better understanding of the blues and learning to play properly (from a beginners perspective). Anything from exercises, chord shapes, tutorials, etc. would be most appreciated. Thanks.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
Re: Learning the Blues v. Halp
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 02:58:45 AM »
Take the A minor pentatonic scale

Code: [Select]
|---------------------------------5--8----
|--------------------------5--8-----------
|-------------------5--7------------------
|-------------5--7------------------------
|------5--7-------------------------------
|-5-8-------------------------------------

Add in an Eb

|-------------------------------------5--8--
|-------------------------------5--8--------
|---------------------5--7--8---------------
|---------------5-7-------------------------
|-------5-6-7-------------------------------
|-5-8---------------------------------------

Let the blues flow.

Offline jsem

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 08:44:33 AM »
I LOVE the blues. In all forms.

Basically, what you want to do, is put a backing track on. And just play. You'll find out yourself what notes will fit and what not, in the different blues styles.

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 11:36:59 AM »

Basically, what you want to do, is put a backing track on. And just play. You'll find out yourself what notes will fit and what not, in the different blues styles.

This is absolutely the best thing to do.

Other than that, just listen to a lot of live blues recordings, live BB's Live At The Regal, or John Mayer's Where The Light Is (HE'S AN AMAZING GUITARIST GODDAMIT) and you'll find yourself slotting in licks you've heard on them into your own soloing. Blues is the most fun I have on guitar, so enjoy it.

Offline CountVoorhees

• DTF.org Member

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 01:45:05 PM »

This is absolutely the best thing to do.

Other than that, just listen to a lot of live blues recordings, live BB's Live At The Regal, or John Mayer's Where The Light Is (HE'S AN AMAZING GUITARIST GODDAMIT) and you'll find yourself slotting in licks you've heard on them into your own soloing. Blues is the most fun I have on guitar, so enjoy it.

LIVE AT THE REGAL IS SO FUCKING GOOD

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 01:49:41 PM »
Listen to all the different styles of blues.  That will give you a great understanding of the genre as a whole and the feeling of it.  Learn 12 bar patterns and turnarounds.   

As far as soloing goes, you just gotta grind out over some chord changes until you really start to find your style of playing.  Make the pentatonic scale sound interesting. 

The more emotionally attached you feel to every note you play, the better the solo will be.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline brakkum

• DT.net Member
  • Bass Boy
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 11:24:05 PM »
Secret Sauce: (let's say we are in G Blues)
play G minor pentatonic over the I chord (minor pent off I)
E minor pentatonic (also throw in the flat 5) over the IV chord (minor pent off VI)
and D minor pentatonic over the V chord. (minor pent off V)
Mix and match all those option at various times throughout the blues progression to sound like you know what the hell you're doing. Recently adopted approach by myself. (and yes I realize E minor pent. has a B which would clash with a C7 as the IV, but it is the relative minor to G and will still sound pretty damn awesome, especially with a Bb thrown in for good measure)
https://concertculture.blogspot.com/

https://brakmusic.tumblr.com/

And on the 8th day, God created Dream Theater. God then proceeded to rock out with his cock out.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 06:53:31 AM »
Interestingly, you point out the B/C clash there.  It's always fun finding ways to work around that kinda thing.  Prime example - my band does Keep Your Hands to Yourself.  Basically a blues rocker in A.  Standard pentatonic box in 5th position.  Chords are (of course) A, D, and E.  Somehow I always end up improvising something similar each time.  So what happens is when the band goes to E, I'm on F# (B string, 7th fret), bending it up to G.  But it's real deliberate, it isn't an immediate bend.  It hangs just a slight moment on the f# before bending.  You get the little bit of tension from the F# over the E that resolves itself as I bend it up.  Very cool move.

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 08:23:24 AM »
Interestingly, you point out the B/C clash there.  It's always fun finding ways to work around that kinda thing.  Prime example - my band does Keep Your Hands to Yourself.  Basically a blues rocker in A.  Standard pentatonic box in 5th position.  Chords are (of course) A, D, and E.  Somehow I always end up improvising something similar each time.  So what happens is when the band goes to E, I'm on F# (B string, 7th fret), bending it up to G.  But it's real deliberate, it isn't an immediate bend.  It hangs just a slight moment on the f# before bending.  You get the little bit of tension from the F# over the E that resolves itself as I bend it up.  Very cool move.

I love doing this, it really adds a funkier element to soloing. There's a lick at the end of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXWKMwnWP4Q (at 5:13) that does that kind of thing.

Btw, that whole video is an absolute goldmine for licks.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 08:30:35 AM »
Oooh, nice.  Excellent example of that idea.

Offline Valdor

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 08:43:40 AM »

This goes a long way, but one important thing to learn is how to construct a complete solo. Start out slowly, only playing one short lick at a time. You don't have to play all the time, take a moment to get into the groove and keep the audience on the edge of their seats. It's all about tension and release. Build up intensity during the solo to finish off in a blast.
One exercise my teacher had me do was not to play the first lick that comes to mind but the second. The first one is often the one the listener is thinking about, too. Catch them off guard!
Surely one day they'll work out it would be simpler and far more legal just to suckle on each others' teats in a kind of wonderful 69 of eternal calcium goodness.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 09:40:45 AM »
E minor pentatonic (also throw in the flat 5) over the IV chord (minor pent off VI)
Mix and match all those option at various times throughout the blues progression to sound like you know what the hell you're doing. Recently adopted approach by myself. (and yes I realize E minor pent. has a B which would clash with a C7 as the IV, but it is the relative minor to G and will still sound pretty damn awesome, especially with a Bb thrown in for good measure)

I really need to start thinking of things like this. I tend to just play...which sounds good about 1/4 of the time :lol

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 10:41:43 AM »
These are all great suggestions. I've been messing around with playing to a backing track, but you know, practice makes perfect and all that jazz.

Guitar/music n0ob time: I know what some of these translate out to, but at the same time...not really. I'll probably just do a google search for the different shapes scales I'm not completely familiar with just yet.

I think right now I really need to work on expanding my horizons a little more. When it comes to playing scales, I tend to play one one scale at a time and mostly just moving up and down. It's really all about finding my flow with moving between each I think, and mixing up how I play. Must. Practice. Moar.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2011, 10:48:13 AM »
These are all great suggestions. I've been messing around with playing to a backing track, but you know, practice makes perfect and all that jazz.

Guitar/music n0ob time: I know what some of these translate out to, but at the same time...not really. I'll probably just do a google search for the different shapes scales I'm not completely familiar with just yet.

I think right now I really need to work on expanding my horizons a little more. When it comes to playing scales, I tend to play one one scale at a time and mostly just moving up and down. It's really all about finding my flow with moving between each I think, and mixing up how I play. Must. Practice. Moar.

Also think a lot about the rhythm of your solos instead of just the notes.  Interesting rhythms but few notes will still make for a great solo or at least a great lick or section.  You don't want to be playing straight 8th notes or straight 16ths the whole way through.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2011, 11:26:47 AM »

First off, the "A minor pentatonic" box that cthrubuoy showed in the second post - that "box" position is pretty much THE standard pentatonic pattern.  As you see, the lowest note is A (6th string, 5th fret).  So now move that entire box down two frets.  Now it's G minor pentatonic.  Move it up three frets, it's C minor pentatonic  You see how this works.

Now the cool thing is there are other positions for the pentatonic scale than just that one and they're, of course interconnected all the way up the neck.  Take g minor pentatonic (G-Bb-C-D-F) in the standard 3rd fret position and add the next position to it:

--3------6----8
--3------6----8
--3---5----7---
--3---5-------8
--3---5-------8
--3------6----8

So the initial pattern is between frets 3 and 6.  Then next pattern is between frets 5 and 8.  So you can play around in the standard position for a little while, then all of the sudden (for example), your ring finger slides up from C to D (G string, 5th to 7th fret).  You're now in position to utilize the 6th and 8th frets on the B and G strings, giving you a C and a D (bend the C) you didn't have in the lower box position.  So with that, these boxes represent the different patterns available on the neck:

--3------6      ----6---8      ----8---10---      --10---------13      ------13---15
--3------6      ----6---8      ----8------11      -----11------13      ------13---15
--3---5---      --5---7--      --7-----10---      --10-----12----      --12-------15
--3---5---      --5-----8      ----8---10---      --10-----12----      --12-------15
--3---5---      --5-----8      ----8---10---      --10---------13      ------13---15
--3------6      ----6---8      ----8---10---      --10---------13      ------13---15

Then from 15 up, you're starting over at the initial position, just an octave higher.  It seems a lot easier (to me) to look at the whole neck as broken up pieces like this, so you can see one pattern at a time, then find a way to connect them as you play.  As opposed to writing out ALL those frets connected together, which looks like a jumbled mess.

Hopefully this helps a little.  It's easy to see these shapes and be all "Well, that's great, but how does it work?"  The way I learned to use them and make them work for me was what others have mentioned doing.  I put on Stevie Ray Vaughan's "In Step" album and played around on "Crossfire" in E minor pentatoni (I had the tab for it and was following along).  I said "Hmm, I know how those notes work in that song, what about the next song?"  I moved that same positioning around a bit, til I determined what key it was in and played around with that position over that song.  It worked.  And the same with the next song.  And the next.  I literally played pentatonic solos over that CD for hours that night.  The light had come on in my head - "This is how you improvise!"  It was awesome.

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2011, 01:26:02 PM »
The day that light comes on, is the best day for a guitarist ever.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2011, 01:38:49 PM »
Indeed.  I didn't really realize it at the time, but my entire life changed that night.

Offline kiwiclapton

• It all began with Beatlemania,
  • In the name of God, Eric Clapton and the Slowhand
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2011, 03:07:35 AM »

Shit, I'm still fiddling in the dark.

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2011, 08:51:52 AM »
My first memory of actual improvising properly is when I was playing around over the Halo Theme Tune.  :lol And then I think I soloed over Crossroads for literally about a month solid.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2011, 02:48:29 AM »

Me too.  I'm not even sure thats my guitar neck I'm holding.... :neverusethis:

Offline kiwiclapton

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2011, 06:37:25 PM »

Me too.  I'm not even sure thats my guitar neck I'm holding.... :neverusethis:

Ha ha, Hey don't know if this fits into this topic but I can recommend you look at Fretboard logic Part one and two. This book really helped me, its about the CAGED system.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2011, 07:20:56 AM »
Blues is a strange genre for me - it's fun to play, but it's boring to sit down and listen to :lol
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline kiwiclapton

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2011, 09:48:49 PM »
Blues is a strange genre for me - it's fun to play, but it's boring to sit down and listen to :lol

Well, you might have started something here. :\ I've only discovered the blues myself and  I 've listen to a bit over the past 12 months.

I  find myself coming back to the stuff I knew from the radio etc. Like Cream , SRV.

I must say this however. That Fleetwood Mac stuff with Peter Green is flippin good, and the Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton is a knock out!

But back to your point, Its great to play and fool around with , kinda like my first girlfriend. :biggrin:

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2011, 09:38:32 AM »
So, I've been playing for a little under two years now, and have lately been picking up on the blues fairly slowly. I know the major and minor pentatonic scales fairly decently, and a small amount of chord shapes (I've also come up with a few riffs/licks on my own that are fairly simple and general that I play quite a bit.)

I'm making this thread because I was wondering if anyone could throw me a few tips for a better understanding of the blues and learning to play properly (from a beginners perspective). Anything from exercises, chord shapes, tutorials, etc. would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Dotted rhythms, triplets, syncopation anything you can think of in a basic pentatonic and you can achieve a lot from it.