Author Topic: [Music] The Decemberists - The Hazards of Love  (Read 4215 times)

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
[Music] The Decemberists - The Hazards of Love
« on: April 28, 2009, 07:01:56 PM »
The Decemberists - The Hazards of Love
Indie Rock

What Colin Meloy has done with The Decemberists over the course of the past eight years is nothing short of astounding. What started as an EP in 2001 has evolved into something wonderful, majestic even. Rooted in indie rock but with obvious folk and prog influences, the band’s craft has become impossible to put a finger on recently, and with the release of The Hazards of Love they’ve become even more unclassifiable.

The most unique facet of the record is how it completes the journey that the band started with The Crane Wife while being something entirely different from anything they’ve ever done at the same time. It continues the logical transition to being more prog, its very existence as a ‘rock opera’ being a trademarked element of the genre, but at the same time, this change is a dichotomy. While all of their albums to date have been approachable as both song-by-song and whole experiences, this one isn’t worth a lot when digested as the dissolution of its parts.

And that’s not to infer that there are no worthwhile songs here. There are many. It’s just that when you’ve got a 17 song, hour-long album and only a handful of individual tunes that stand by themselves, clearly other methods of listening were intended. Amongst the best of the exceptions to this trend are “The Hazards of Love 1”, which sounds like a cool nursery rhyme, and “The Wanting Comes in Waves/Repaid”, which is groovy as hell. It benefits immeasurably from the contributions of Shara Worden, who was invited to provide guest vocals on the album alongside a hoard of other contributors.

I cannot express just how well executed the record is. Normally, an album with so many songs and so many changes in momentum as its concept advances itself would probably get boring, but this one avoids that pitfall. I’ll admit that there are times when you wish it would just get on with it, but mostly, it’s a damn good time. Everytime I’ve given the thing a spin, I’ve derived the most enjoyment from the music by simply pressing play and letting myself get lost in the dense layers that shroud the disc. You’ve got pianos. You’ve got accordions. You’ve got backing vocals coming from all directions. They pulled out all the stops for this one, as usual.

But, know that despite all of these instruments and schemes, the album doesn’t get so pretentious that it ever starts to annoy you. Yes, it’s probably self-indulgent, but what drives each song is the purest melody, not any grandiose aspiration of being epic. “The Hazards of Love 4”, most prominently, is so affecting because of how original the writing is. Meloy doesn’t have all that unique a voice, but you always know that it’s him singing because no one else does it quite like The Decemberists. No one else hooks you so subtlety.

I say it rarely, but The Decemberists are a compulsory band. Here, they continue their string of great releases, although Hazards probably isn’t as good as The Crane Wife. As mentioned above, those albums are perfect compliments to eachother, the latter starting the progression that the former would complete while being entirely unlike it. I’m not going to try to be original here; I’ve heard it said on multiple occasions that the most impressive feat achieved by The Decemberists’ discography is that every album is different to the last, but certain qualities are retained that help them defend their title as the world’s best indie(-esque) band, while still allowing them to branch out. How true that statement is.

****1/2 (out of five)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 07:53:06 AM by TheOutlawXanadu »
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
Re: [Music] The Decemberists - The Hazards of Love
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 01:11:17 PM »
I listened to "The Rake's Song" on a recommendation from my dad, and it was fantastic. I'll definitely have to pick this album up at some point. Good review TOX.  :tup
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Tracer112

• Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 04:01:40 PM »
I love the Crane Wife, so I've definitely been meaning to give this a shot.  I'll have to check this out.  Good review by the way.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 04:11:30 PM »
I've been having a hard time getting into this band but maybe I'll give this one a shot. Meloy sounds like he's trying to imitate Jeff Magnum while adding annoying vibrato in spots. The Tain was the only thing I think they've done that is really solid.

Offline Scurvy!Dreams

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 04:23:12 PM »
This album is definitely more Tain-ish than their other stuff. Give it a shot.

Good review, TOX.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 01:26:55 PM »
Your Rush - Permanent Waves link takes me to this review.   ???
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 01:54:07 PM »
Hey, at least I know someone used one of those links. :biggrin:
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 05:24:26 PM »
Man this album is getting even better with every spin. This will easily be a top album of the year for me.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Mr. Mackwo

• Original Dt.org follower, now new DT.org member!
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 10:48:16 AM »
I appreciate the review! I loved The Crane Wife and didn't even know that they released a new album.  Can't wait to pick it up! Thanks!

-Mackwo :D
SO SAY WE ALL!