Author Topic: The only Soul thread on DTF  (Read 797 times)

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
The only Soul thread on DTF
« on: March 24, 2011, 04:54:45 PM »
We've moved onto Soul music in my music appreciation class this week, and my teacher showed us Otis Redding. I already had a few of his albums. Great singer.

I'm familiar with Soul so far. Otis, Sam Cooke (listening to Night Beat right now), Aretha Franklin, Dusty Springfield, Marvin Gaye, to name a few, are I think some essentials.

Discuss. :coolio

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
Re: The only Soul thread on DTF
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 05:13:29 PM »
YESSS!!!! This is what I'm talking about.

I'm a huge Marvin Gaye fan myself. His voice is so unique, so controlled, perfect in every way. There ain't nothing wrong him. What's Going On is one helluva album. The last track on that album, Inner City Blues, is like the best dessert after an amazing main meal.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 06:27:00 PM »
The Godfather of Soul himself

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 06:36:20 PM »
Don't forget Al Green.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline darkshade

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 08:10:41 PM »
man when i googled James Brown for that picture, the first 2 were his mug shots, and another was him in the casket when he died. I thought that was so shitty, the whole publicity of his death, showing his body on national television nightly news

anyway, haha, the man was a funk machine! and a great soul singer, even his 60s soul songs had funk in them!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 09:35:55 PM »
James Brown on the TAMI show
Same tape I've had for years

Some of you will recognize that lyric.  We actually played the song for years, it was one of the first songs we learned as a band, nearly 30 years ago.  We never knew if we got the lyrics right because this was long before you could just look them up somewhere, and I never knew what it meant until I caught a black-and-white clip on TV a few weeks ago.  It was from this.

It looked like this.