Author Topic: Hate Math and Science? You Don't Anymore  (Read 5636 times)

Offline blackngold29

Hate Math and Science? You Don't Anymore
« on: March 21, 2011, 09:45:09 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTFEUsudhfs

So there have been plenty of these TED Threads over the years, but this one is a little different. Usually they're something cool some guy did or crazy stuff you wouldn't expect that makes you think, but this one can actually benefit everyone here right now.

This site https://www.khanacademy.org/ has video lessons about every math topic from 1 + 1 to Linear Algebra, Chemistry, Biology, some history too. Currently over 2000 videos from one guy. Eventually he wants to include everything.

Sounds almost too good to be true, but I hate Biology, used his videos to help me out on my last test, got a 96%.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Re: Hate Math and Science? You Don't Anymore
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 09:46:46 PM »
Who the heck hates math? And science is cool too.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 09:47:57 PM »

People who don't understand it and probably won't make great efforts to do so.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 09:59:57 PM by DarkLord_Lalinc »
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 09:59:16 PM »
It's impossible to hate math. If you say you do, you just suck at it.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 10:00:10 PM »
I loved math and science, partially because yeah I was pretty good at it and it was fun, but I also liked English and history and I sucked at those.  I was one of those sick bastards who liked school and overall did alright at it.  But I can understand people not liking something they find boring and aren't particularly good at, combined with the common belief that "it doesn't matter anyway because you'll never use it."

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 10:02:05 PM »
I wanna get better at Linear Algebra and Probability/Statistics, finally some good videos (although MIT has some good videos on LA). Also can brush up better on some calculus concepts (series, polar functions, 3-D calc)

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 10:09:29 PM »
I remember watching some of these videos a while ago when I wanted to learn about complex math concepts that weren't taught in depth in school, like LaPlace and Fourier transforms. This guy is pretty good.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 10:11:42 PM »
Yeah, I remember this too, I never fully understood what the definition of a limit meant.

man, there are so many videos, definitely got some videos to watch. holy moly.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 10:14:47 PM »
I actually learned Cuadrics and lots of 3-D stuff with these videos before I saw 'em in school  :lol It was great to have some solid knowledge beforehand  :hat
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 10:26:30 PM »
@OP

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 10:36:58 PM »
Pretty cool stuff, coming from a person who is a B- math student.

Offline Big Crouton

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 12:04:56 AM »
This is an incredible resource.  The guy does a great job of teaching too.  I'm going to learn calculus now just because I can.

I always loved math and science, but the way they were taught in high-school was rather tedious and uninteresting.  I love being able to learn it at my own pace.  Thanks so much for sharing.
I'm not sure how literal 'God created man in his own image' is, but it would be pretty crappy if there was a god but he died a while ago of appendicitus.

www.mercuryrecordings.ca

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 02:12:59 AM »
I love science and I hate math. But I don't hate math because I "don't understand it." Hell, half the time I don't understand science, but I still enjoy learning about it. I hate math for some reason I can't quite pinpoint. Every time I take a math class or sit down to do math homework, I feel an incredible amount of hatred and contempt for it. I've tried on many occasions to enjoy it in the same way I enjoy other subjects. I would like to get something out of it, sure, but something in my psyche prevents me from doing so. Looking at it makes me sick to my stomach. Literally, if I were to open up an advanced math book right now and look at a random page for a few minutes, my mood would instantly change and I would get queasy. It's really weird. Something about me and math just don't click.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 02:19:56 AM »
Used his videos for my Linear Algebra course and got 6/20. :(

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2011, 02:40:22 AM »
I was good at maths but the shit bored me.  Dropped that like a bad ho.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2011, 02:49:56 AM »

Because the people who like it suck at teaching it ;D

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2011, 06:31:23 AM »
It's impossible to hate math. If you say you do, you just suck at it.

Not true.

I got a 5 on the AP BC Calc test, and was overall pretty good at math all through school, but I never really liked it.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2011, 06:42:36 AM »

Because the people who like it suck at teaching it ;D
Hey! Actually this is quite correct...although, not to boast, but it seems that when I teach it to people, they finally get it.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2011, 08:03:13 AM »
I think that goes for pretty much every occasion where someone was willing to explain something to someone else in private. I'm just trying to say that in class you don't pay full attention when you don't understand something because you don't understand it anyway. It's easier when someone is explaining you personally and can address each and every albeit stupid question you have.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2011, 08:19:31 AM »
Private study works better for most people, for sure.  But I'd say there are still a lot of good classroom teachers out there, "good" meaning that they can present the material in a way that is interesting and engaging to a group with sometimes wide and various backgrounds in the subject.  And if it's interesting and engaging, you'll get into it, and learn it before you even realize it.  I had a lot of students tell me that I was the best math teacher they'd ever had, because I clearly enjoyed what I was doing and I made it fun.  It can be done.

Offline jsem

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2011, 09:12:10 AM »

This site https://www.khanacademy.org/ has video lessons

That is an amazing website. TYVM

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2011, 10:48:34 AM »
Private study works better for most people, for sure.  But I'd say there are still a lot of good classroom teachers out there, "good" meaning that they can present the material in a way that is interesting and engaging to a group with sometimes wide and various backgrounds in the subject.  And if it's interesting and engaging, you'll get into it, and learn it before you even realize it.  I had a lot of students tell me that I was the best math teacher they'd ever had, because I clearly enjoyed what I was doing and I made it fun.  It can be done.
The problem is that not every teacher is that good of a teacher. When I had physics a few semesters ago, I watched Walter Lewin's MIT videos and loved it then went to class and was taught the same lesson and I wanted to stab my teacher in the neck with a dull knife.

Same thing goes for the video, if this guy wasn't a good teacher he could make videos about anything and it wouldn't be educational at all. I think he understands that you can't replace human-to-human interaction, but there are some areas where it can actually be better to have the video, they talk about in this video.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2011, 11:22:26 AM »
The problem is that not every teacher is that good of a teacher. When I had physics a few semesters ago, I watched Walter Lewin's MIT videos and loved it then went to class and was taught the same lesson and I wanted to stab my teacher in the neck with a dull knife.

And the problem there is that teachers don't get paid shit.  A good teacher has to also be willing to settle for a fraction of what he could make in the real world, and many if not most won't do that.  I loved teaching, but when my son was born, the medical bills started piling up, and we needed a bigger apartment, the very first place that offerred me a programming job offerred me five grand a year more than the top teaching bid on the table.  That was with six years of experience and glowing recommendations (which in education mean almost nothing).

It's a problem loosely based on the chicken and egg paradox.  Teachers don't get paid well because too many people (including legislators) had shitty teachers and don't think they're worth it.  And because they don't get paid well, many potentially great teachers don't pursue teaching.  This leaves mostly shitty teachers in the schools, and the cycle begins anew.

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2011, 12:33:44 PM »
That particular teacher's problem was that she was the head of the science department (I assume she was getting paid decently) and tenured, so even if we gave her bad evaluations they wouldn't do shit. Myself and other people I knew would wait semesters hoping that someone else would teach a class, but she had a monopoly on them so it was ridiculous. She was a smart lady and had no problem understanding the material, she was just one of those people who can't explain it well to others.

Don't even get me started on colleges, when people start realizing that degrees no longer guarantee a job and solid resumes can be built outside the classroom and they can connect to people anywhere online, it'll be nice to see them try to catch up. Not that people should drop out, but in the next 15 years shits gonna change. :hat

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2011, 03:44:07 PM »
I think that goes for pretty much every occasion where someone was willing to explain something to someone else in private. I'm just trying to say that in class you don't pay full attention when you don't understand something because you don't understand it anyway. It's easier when someone is explaining you personally and can address each and every albeit stupid question you have.

I know, I was talking about teaching classes.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2011, 03:50:45 PM »
But I'd say there are still a lot of good classroom teachers out there, "good" meaning that they can present the material in a way that is interesting and engaging to a group with sometimes wide and various backgrounds in the subject.  And if it's interesting and engaging, you'll get into it, and learn it before you even realize it.  I had a lot of students tell me that I was the best math teacher they'd ever had, because I clearly enjoyed what I was doing and I made it fun.  It can be done.

Well I am doing Maths at university now so I'm not probably the best example of the average student that needs to be "reached" by an amazing teacher in order for me to understand / like it, but I'd definitely say the Maths teacher I had at school was the best teacher. Both in terms of actually teaching the material and in making it enjoyable etc. So I'd definitely agree with this

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2011, 09:55:52 PM »
I'll admit that I hate math because I suck at it, but even if I was good at math, it's still fucking boring.

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2011, 12:36:13 AM »
I was hoping kahn academy could help me with my elliptic curve homework, but no dice.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2011, 05:39:23 AM »
Awesome site, I feel like I'm going to end up killing a bunch of time with this site.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2011, 02:45:13 PM »
I was hoping kahn academy could help me with my elliptic curve homework, but no dice.
I could.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2011, 04:09:12 PM »
Okay, switching gears to elementary math.  Mrs. Cozmo's kid had a paper of math problems due the other day.  I checked the answers myself to ensure that he had the right answers.  Came back today with two of them marked wrong (paraphrasing them):

1) What would be the appropriate unit of measure for figuring the perimeter of a baseball - Yards, kilometers, square feet, or square inches.  He marked yards.  She marked it wrong and said it's square feet.

2) In the past two weeks, the lunchroom sold a total of 378 boxes of milk at $0.75 apiece.  How would you figure out the total sales?  There were two obviously wrong answers, then 378 x $0.75, and 2 x 378 x $0.75.  He said 378 x $0.75.  She marked it wrong and said it's 2 x 378 x $0.75.

Somebody please tell me I'm not crazy and that she has clearly marked two answers wrong that were not wrong.

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2011, 04:22:57 PM »
I could.

Actually I think I got it, but thanks! Division mod 2 on E8 for some field got a little confusing at first.

Guitar Cozmo:
1) Perimeter is total distance around an object, so it would indeed be yards, since that's the smallest unit of measurement provided that isn't squared.
2) If it were 378 boxes per week at $0.75, she would be right. From the wording, it sounds as if it's 378 boxes total, so he's right.

Your kid needs a new math teacher.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2011, 04:33:51 PM »
For the second one, it specifically says "During the past two weeks, a total of 378 cartons of juice were sold in the school cafeteria. Each carton costs $0.75. Which expression could be used to find the total cost of the juice that was sold."

Two of them were division based, then the two I listed. The way the problem is worded, he answered correctly.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2011, 04:37:00 PM »
Totally agree.

1) Perimeter is a linear measure, it's a distance, so there's no way the answer would be "square" anything.

2) It said "a total of 378 boxes of milk" so the fact that it was over a two-week period is irrelevant.

If she wrote these questions herself, she needs to learn to write story problems.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2011, 04:51:46 PM »
That is fucked up Cozmo.