Author Topic: Internet usage info  (Read 2878 times)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Internet usage info
« on: March 20, 2011, 03:22:16 PM »
Hey guys,

I'm a bit of a n00b when it comes to computers and internet but I wonder if you can help.  I have a 10GB a month plan.  I know it's not much, but I don't do much besides DTF, other sites and youtube.  Every month I average about 6GB, so there's no problem.  

Last month I hit my target of 10GB in about 28 days, 1 day before the usage reset for another month.  Fair enough. Today, it has been 7 days of the monthly plan and I get an email saying I have used my 10GB of downloads and my connection will be slowed until next month.  That's about 23 days, it's absurd, I haven't done anything different at all or looked or downloaded anything excessively.

Is it worth ringing the provider and get their opinion?  The only thing I have installed is Orbit downloader to grab songs from Grooveshark etc.  I have only downloaded about 20 songs.

I just don't understand why it's getting chewed so much.  Any suggestions guys, PLEASE!!?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 04:32:17 AM by wolfking »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TheMadgician

Re: Internet usage - Help!!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 03:29:02 PM »
Someone piggybacking on your connection, mayhaps?

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 03:30:03 PM »
If you have an unsecured router, someone's stealing your connection.

If not, then I have no idea.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 03:32:18 PM »
No, I have a regular cable modem.  :(

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 03:33:41 PM »
Can't answer you're question, but I can certainly recommend a change of plans.  I pay $19.99 for unlimited.  I get 15mbps down and 2 up.  It's not terribly unusual for me to download 10 gig in a day, and if the ISP actually notices that, they're really only likely to call me up and tell me to keep up the good work.  
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 03:35:04 PM »
somebody's using it when you're not around bro.
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 03:35:16 PM »
Yeah, I'd definitely switch plans anyway. Limited internet is fucking awful.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline TL

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 03:39:39 PM »
Have you been watching more youtube videos than usual? They can use up a surprisingly high amount of bandwidth.
But yeah, if you haven't been doing anything significantly different, someone else is definitely using your connection.

Also, 10GB per month? That's pretty brutal.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 03:41:32 PM »
Yeah, I guess changing the plan is a simple answer, since looking around it won't cost me much more really.  

I just still can't understand why the hell it's saying I've used 10GB in a week when I've done nothing different, especially when 10GB has always been enough.  I guess if I ring the ISP they won't know, they only see how much has been used.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 03:44:08 PM »
Have you been watching more youtube videos than usual? They can use up a surprisingly high amount of bandwidth.
But yeah, if you haven't been doing anything significantly different, someone else is definitely using your connection.

Also, 10GB per month? That's pretty brutal.

Hmm..I've watched a little but no more than usual I think.  I guess I also visit the odd adult entertainment site.  :\

No one else uses my computer and I don't have a router so I don't see how people could be using my connection.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 07:06:39 PM by wolfking »

Offline Nigerius Rex

• Thats Mr. Doctor Professor Patrick
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 05:06:11 PM »
Unless you are monitoring your bandwidth then I wouldn't try telling your isp that you just think you haven't used that much because they will point you to their policy and tell you to fuck off if you can even get a hold of someone competant. If you do call them, see if they can give you a few dates when your bandwidth usage has peaked and if you can remember using a lot on those days. Otherwise if you don't plan to switch, go out and spend 50 bucks on a solid router that has good administrative tools or one that can support DD-WRT (WRT54g/gs/gx is good for both). Most routers have tools that let you track and limit the bandwidth you can use and my WRT54gs as an example gives month by month readings on bandwidth usage and times so I know if there is a peak at any time.

If you werent interested in changing isps or buying a good router, you could invest or look around for some free networking software that you wouldn't mind running all the time so you could be more mindful of your usage. I did a quick search and found this one for free:
https://www.hageltech.com/dumeter/about

If you have options though, definitely switch. Companies that charge you based on data usage by gigabyte are absolutely ripping you off in every way. I have a pretty average residential comcast cable connection that I pay 35 bucks a month for as part of a combo plan and my family uses upwards of 600-700 gigabytes a month.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 05:21:26 PM »
I guess I also visit the *snip* or *snip* now and then.  :\
Just saying that even hinting at those kind of sites is against the rules, let alone mentioning them.

Also 10 GB? I could do that in a day easily.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline TimmyHiggy

• Not the droid you are looking for
  • Maybe its just another drill?
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 05:32:50 PM »
videos contribute to most of my usage. TV catch up especially, I download the flash video files directly and get to see the size. Half a gig for a little over an hours entertainment, killer!
Adult websites will use your bandwidth a fair amount too I imagine, all those flash ads combined with you watching videos too (not that I use them of course, heard it on the grapevine :angel: )
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2011, 05:44:06 PM »
Can't answer you're question, but I can certainly recommend a change of plans.  I pay $19.99 for unlimited.  I get 15mbps down and 2 up.  It's not terribly unusual for me to download 10 gig in a day, and if the ISP actually notices that, they're really only likely to call me up and tell me to keep up the good work.  

Holy shit, remind me to move to your city.

The ISP I work for charges $65.90 for 16 meg down and 1 up with 75GB usage. It's fucking atrocious.

...my name is Araragi.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2011, 07:09:37 PM »
I guess I also visit the *snip* or *snip* now and then.  :\
Just saying that even hinting at those kind of sites is against the rules, let alone mentioning them.

Also 10 GB? I could do that in a day easily.

Good call, I've edited that post.

I guess 10GB isn't much really when you think about it.

Unless you are monitoring your bandwidth then I wouldn't try telling your isp that you just think you haven't used that much because they will point you to their policy and tell you to fuck off if you can even get a hold of someone competant. If you do call them, see if they can give you a few dates when your bandwidth usage has peaked and if you can remember using a lot on those days. Otherwise if you don't plan to switch, go out and spend 50 bucks on a solid router that has good administrative tools or one that can support DD-WRT (WRT54g/gs/gx is good for both). Most routers have tools that let you track and limit the bandwidth you can use and my WRT54gs as an example gives month by month readings on bandwidth usage and times so I know if there is a peak at any time.

Yeah, I'm not gonna call the ISP, you are right.  I logged in and checked my usage and it gives you a breakdown of every day.  It's still more than I believe I've used but some days with higher usage I do remember being on the net for a longer period of time.  I guess I should just take more care with my usage.  I will definitely look into a bigger plan though.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2011, 08:41:33 PM »
Is metered usage the norm in Austrailia?  Where I live, my options are all unlimited, but you can pay more for speed.  I guess the upshot is that it makes it harder to download music.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2011, 01:26:36 AM »
metered usage... god i feel spoiled.  i can hit 10gb in less than a day
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2011, 03:02:59 AM »
Well I have metered as well but it's 250GB. I believe that there are one or two unlimited plans here since a few months. Speed is still not that fast though, I have about 700 kB/S DL but I think you can get up to 3 MB/s (but it's pretty expensive). Upload is completely crappy, I have like 50 kB/S and I don't think you can get more than 150 or so. I'm in Belgium BTW.

You and me go parallel, together and apart