Author Topic: New CNN special, Unwelcome: The Muslims Next Door  (Read 3933 times)

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
New CNN special, Unwelcome: The Muslims Next Door
« on: March 20, 2011, 11:32:56 AM »
https://www.nabilechchaibi.com/blog/cnn-s-unwelcome-the-muslims-next-door

This will air on the 27th and I'll be watching it. I hope it will shed some light on the idiocy on some of these so called patriots. I have personally met and know some of these people and they make me sick. I actually know a guy (Jewish, comes as no surprise) that says that the only good muslim is a dead one...I mean, fuck, really?

Anyone else plan on watching?

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
Re: New CNN special, Unwelcome: The Muslims Next Door
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 11:48:57 AM »
Never heard about this, will definitely check it out.  It's really quite sad that so many Jews are anti-Muslim and so many Muslims anti-Semitic when historically they'd been so close, and especially considering how a cultural and political friendship would serve both groups very well in the coming world order.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 01:05:09 PM »
I actually know a guy (Jewish, comes as no surprise) that says that the only good muslim is a dead one...I mean, fuck, really?
Why are you surprised, given the amount of anti-Jew hate speech that comes from many Muslims?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 01:09:47 PM »
Why are you surprised, given the amount of anti-Jew hate speech that comes from many Muslims?

(Jewish, comes as no surprise)

:lol

And anyway, it justs sickens me because as humans, with brains, I think it would be easy to understand that not every muslim or jew feels that way. Hell, not even the majority feel that way. It is only because the fundamentalists are getting press. For every ass hole who wants the other side dead, I guarantee there are 50 that want piece.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 01:17:20 PM »
I mean, fuck, really?
This is an indication of surprise.  If not, what is it?

And I think your numbers are way off, at least for Muslims.  It isn't just the fundamentalists that are anti-Jew.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 01:19:17 PM »
I mean, fuck, really?
This is an indication of surprise.  If not, what is it?

And I think your numbers are way off, at least for Muslims.  It isn't just the fundamentalists that are anti-Jew.

You'd be surprised by how many people in general are anti-jew. Luckily now adays it's very easy to cover it up and just say that they're not anti-jewish, simply "extremely critical of Israel".

But generally, jews have been hated for a very long time. If we wanted everyone who hated us to die, we'd end up being all alone. In general, jews don't wish death upon people, it's just some of the lesser educated and more fundamentalist ones, just like in any religion really.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 01:23:26 PM »
Let's put it this way. I have met a few muslims...none of them want me dead.

And Adami is right in his last few sentences. It is just the crazy ones.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 01:29:20 PM »
And lets be clear about the distinction between being anti-Jew and anti-Zionist.  From what I've seen, it's Christians who tend to be more anti-Jew and Muslims who are more anti-Israel.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 01:35:53 PM »
And lets be clear about the distinction between being anti-Jew and anti-Zionist.  From what I've seen, it's Christians who tend to be more anti-Jew and Muslims who are more anti-Israel.

The distinction is much more blurry than you'd like to believe. It's just much easier to focus the hate on Israel and it's much less likely to get you in trouble. But believe when I say that simply saying you're anti-zionist, and not anti-jew doesn't make it true. Sure there are plenty who are, and there are many who are just using it as a way to socially mask their hatred.

Jews have been hated by the majority for centuries, it didn't just disappear in 1948.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 02:20:26 PM »
And lets be clear about the distinction between being anti-Jew and anti-Zionist.  From what I've seen, it's Christians who tend to be more anti-Jew and Muslims who are more anti-Israel.

The distinction is much more blurry than you'd like to believe. It's just much easier to focus the hate on Israel and it's much less likely to get you in trouble. But believe when I say that simply saying you're anti-zionist, and not anti-jew doesn't make it true. Sure there are plenty who are, and there are many who are just using it as a way to socially mask their hatred.

Jews have been hated by the majority for centuries, it didn't just disappear in 1948.

True and indeed it's been on the rise worldwide in the last decade or two.

Also I know only one Muslim personally who actually considers himself pro-Israel, as opposed to saying "both sides are wrong," as many of the more liberal Muslims I've met have said.  And again even that's a pretty moderate position.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 03:11:08 PM »

You read my mind, I was gonna say that Muslims who generalize their contempt used to be of the lower educated classes but it got spread to a wider average Joe range with time and cumulative Palestine/Israel conflict events over the years. But it's anti-Zionist is what they really are, that doesn't exclude any Arabic Muslim person I've ever known. I honestly do not have any problem or bad feelings towards Jews or Judaism, main part of Islam is to believe in that Moses -and Jesus too btw- is a prophet who received divine messages and instructions from the same God as prophet Mohammed.
I' also required by my religion to deal with and treat Christians and Jews better than other religions with different Gods or non-believers, in Islam people of the three religions are called "People of the Book", it's like the possibility of putting Dare Devil in a Spider-man movie and the impossibility of having Batman in it, it's not the same production company   :laugh:

That really goes more for the Western civilizations, it's not socially inappropriate in Arab countries to publicly display dislike for Jews, they have no reason to mask it so you'd probably be getting a more honest opinion that is not at all blurry out of them.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online Adami

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 03:15:02 PM »
Yes I was completely referring to Western culture. The arabs have a completely different reality regarding jews and Israel than the west does.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 03:28:38 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the Muslims considerably better to the Jews right up until 1948?  I recognize that there's been persecution from the get-go, but it seems to me that the Arab "persecution" began with conflicting national interests. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2011, 03:34:38 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the Muslims considerably better to the Jews right up until 1948?  I recognize that there's been persecution from the get-go, but it seems to me that the Arab "persecution" began with conflicting national interests. 

Arabs and Jews got along quite well when the christians were tying to rid the world of both of us. It would happen again if the christians tried it again, any two peoples will reconcile with a common enemy. However we weren't best friends till 1948 then suddenly became mortal enemies. And I was referring more to the western world, europe and the americas and so forth. The arab world has a very different relationship with us.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2011, 04:17:35 PM »
weren't the Muslims considerably better to the Jews right up until 1948?  I recognize that there's been persecution from the get-go, but it seems to me that the Arab "persecution" began with conflicting national interests. 

Yes, I know Jews in African Arabian countries (Egypt to Morocco) had a significant Jewish population and a huge social and economical presence, historically I know of a lot of Egyptian Jews who had big trademark stores like Sidnawi, famous actors and singers like Layla Murad, Dawood Hosni and Rakia Ibrahim, mayors and politicians like 3 ministers in Mostafa Elnahas 7 ministers government.
But I don't think the fall out started in 1948, it started in mid to late 30's through WW2 during which most Arab countries hoped for an Axis triumph to stop the Jewish settlements built by evacuations of Arabs from parts of Palestine with the full support of the British occupiers. (And through that dilemma Germany was able to recruit Muslims in both the Arab world and Eastern Europe to fight for the Wehrmacht, against the Russians in Europe and against the British in north Africa (with the Afrika Korps).
In the 50's with the Arab/Israeli problem taking uglier shape; the Egyptian Jews started facing discrimination and hard times, a lot of the Jewish celebrities converted to Christianity or Islam to survive and keep working, a lot of wealthy Jews left Egypt to the U.S and south America while most left to Greece or Italy where they would catch a boat to Israel, by the late 50's they were all gone except for a couple hundred across Egypt who wouldn't identify themselves beyond close circles of friends.
An Israeli guy once told me that Egyptian Jews who moved to Israel and became Israelis were the only group his dad -who was a journalist- observed to have home sickness in Israel, not sure if that was true.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2011, 04:54:08 PM »
My point was directed at Hef who was singling out Muslims as being anti-Jew.  I'll agree that plenty of Americans will use Israel as the cause for their antisemitism, but I think Arabs tend to actually be more anti-Zionist than antisemitic.  As time passes, there might be a commingling of the two, but the cause is still important. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2011, 06:20:41 PM »
That could be, although I can point to anti-Semitism in the more modern sense among Arabs going back to before Zionism, in the 1860s to be exact (I did a paper on it).

My greatest wish is that one day the Arab Muslim and Jewish populations will be able to make peace, given their common ancestry it just makes sense.

Online Adami

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2011, 07:11:12 PM »
That could be, although I can point to anti-Semitism in the more modern sense among Arabs going back to before Zionism, in the 1860s to be exact (I did a paper on it).

My greatest wish is that one day the Arab Muslim and Jewish populations will be able to make peace, given their common ancestry it just makes sense.

Hm, you used a term inappropriately there.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2011, 07:13:00 PM »
Is anti-semeticism really that big of a problem? To be honest, I've never really noticed it. Do the Jews here tend to feel it even in every-day life? If so, as ignorant as it sounds, it's news to me.

Online Adami

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2011, 07:15:03 PM »
Is anti-semeticism really that big of a problem? To be honest, I've never really noticed it. Do the Jews here tend to feel it even in every-day life? If so, as ignorant as it sounds, it's news to me.

Yes. It is. Non semites probably won't notice. Just like if you ask black people and white people whether or not racism is a big deal, you'll get very different answers.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2011, 07:17:37 PM »
I'm sorry to hear that; society is indeed still more backwards than I thought. What kinds of things do you have to go through? Is it just from Muslims, or everyone?

Online Adami

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2011, 07:20:34 PM »
I'm sorry to hear that; society is indeed still more backwards than I thought. What kinds of things do you have to go through? Is it just from Muslims, or everyone?

I don't get any troubles from Muslims personally. Muslims never told me to get back in the oven, that was white people.

Muslims never handed cell phones to my families business that said "F*** all Jews". Once again, only white people. I only know a few Muslims and we get a long just fine.

But the majority of the problems are Micro-aggressions. Not so much outright violent acts of obvious hatred. Micro-aggressions also don't register on the radar of anyone who isn't part of the target group. Like a straight person wouldn't think twice about calling something they don't like "gay". However a gay person might take that a bit differently.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2011, 07:22:50 PM »
Jews are different from other white people?

Anyway, that sounds harsh. I hate people sometimes. Do you think that's worse than the treatment Muslims get, though? Just curious.

Online Adami

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2011, 07:25:27 PM »

Anyway, that sounds harsh. I hate people sometimes. Do you think that's worse than the treatment Muslims get, though? Just curious.

Fine, white people who weren't Jewish or Muslim, and could possibly be christian (or of any of its denominations) scientologists, atheists, agnostics, deists, pagans, satanists or subscribers to a number of Asian philosophies.

White people just summed up my point more.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2011, 07:28:10 PM »

What exactly is the cause of that pre-Zionist antisemitism?

wtf is the internet?

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2011, 07:30:40 PM »

???

Anyway, I can't think of any instances at the moment, although Adami pretty much got the gist of it.

There was one time my younger brother had this Muslim friend at his high school, and he was this Muslim kid's only Jewish friend.  One day during class he intercepted a text message from this kid, meaning that this text message was intended for someone else but he sent it to my brother by accident.  I don't remember specifically what it said because this was over three years ago, but it suggested something along the lines of Jews and ovens.  Needless to say, my brother didn't remain friends with that kid very long, and he did report him to school authorities.  I can't remember what the outcome was to that bit.

What exactly is the cause of that pre-Zionist antisemitism?

I'll have to look that up again and I don't have the books with me, but I think it had something to do with Christian anti-Semitism "migrating" to the Middle East.

Online Adami

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2011, 07:32:39 PM »

???

Arabs are Semitic.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2011, 07:35:37 PM »
Actually I'm sorta confused on that point, because I thought Arabs arrived from somewhere else on the culturo-linguistic tree and that the other peoples who were historically referred to as Semitic like the Akkadians have been long extinct, and Jews are the only survivors of that "branch."  I dunno.

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2011, 07:40:47 PM »
Arabs are Semitic.

Arabs are also considered Caucasian.

wtf is the internet?

Online Adami

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2011, 07:44:09 PM »
Arabs are Semitic.

The two aren't related.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2011, 07:50:15 PM »
Arabs are Semitic.
The two aren't related.

Sure they are. It just depends on where you want to draw the line.

wtf is the internet?

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2011, 07:51:23 PM »
well, one refers to JUST race, and one refers to JUST religion

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2011, 07:51:46 PM »

Fine, white people who weren't Jewish or Muslim, and could possibly be christian (or of any of its denominations) scientologists, atheists, agnostics, deists, pagans, satanists or subscribers to a number of Asian philosophies.

White people just summed up my point more.

Unfortunately when you define it that broadly, your point is anything but "summed up." I am curious to find out where and why this attitude toward Jews occurs, though.

Online Adami

« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2011, 07:52:19 PM »
Arabs are Semitic.
The two aren't related.

Sure they are. It just depends on where you want to draw the line.

Semitic is linguistic in origin, Caucasian is not. They aren't the same thing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2011, 08:11:53 PM »
Lol okay. In that case you mean that Arabic speaking Arabs are Semitic. (And non-Semitic language speaking Jews aren't Semitic)

wtf is the internet?