Author Topic: CunninLynguists  (Read 8299 times)

Offline The Degenerate

• The Knight of Noir
CunninLynguists
« on: March 19, 2011, 06:27:46 PM »

While it's doubtful that there's a lot of fans of hip-hop here, I can see from the "full-length albums" thread that these guys have some followers. A Piece of Strange is one of my favorite albums and Southernunderground and Dirty Acres are incredible as well. Considering that their new album Oneirology is hitting stores on Tuesday, I figured a thread was in order. :smiley:

I've been listening to Oneirology all day and it's absolutely brilliant, potentially right up there with (or surpassing, if it grows on me even more) A Piece of Strange. It's being legally streamed here:

https://cunninlynguists.bandcamp.com/album/oneirology

My favorite tracks so far are Hard As They Come and Dreams.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 11:14:10 PM by The Degenerate »
"Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you." ~ Tyrion Lannister

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
Re: CunninLynguists
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 07:05:58 PM »
One of the best albums I've heard in ages, and one of the best hip-hop albums I've ever heard.

Does the artwork's style reeeaallly remind anyone else of Waking Life's? I know they're both similar at a basic level, but the details look almost the same to me, which wouldn't be too far-fetched given the subject matter. Did anyone else hear a reference to the crappy 'Window pain' lyric from 'Love The Way You Lie,' or was that just me?

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 07:08:26 PM »
Great band. I'm halfway through the new album and I love it so far! :tup

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 08:27:53 PM »
Best band name ever.

Offline The Degenerate

• The Knight of Noir
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 08:35:45 PM »
Some love it, some hate it. :lol I like it, but I can understand why it makes some people hesitant to check them out at first. They're so much more than their name implies, though.
"Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you." ~ Tyrion Lannister

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 08:51:07 PM »
Only have one of their EP's (forgot the name..), but Its really good.

Love the album art btw
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline The Degenerate

• The Knight of Noir
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 04:55:01 AM »
Probably one of the Strange Journey mixtapes?

You should really do yourself a favor and check out A Piece of Strange and Oneirology. I'm not a huge hip-hop guy, but CunninLynguists have two albums in my top 50, which is kinda a big deal for me :lol

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 07:44:55 AM »
I do really hate the name.  :lol But still, I'm glad I checked them out despite that. About to listen to A Piece Of Strange for the very first time, expecting greatness.

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 08:44:15 AM »

No, I think its called Will Rap for Food
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 09:19:38 AM »
Got the latest album now, gonna see what all the fuzz is about as soon as I get some time on my hands.

Offline The Degenerate

• The Knight of Noir
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 02:38:11 PM »

No, I think its called Will Rap for Food

Oh, that's their first album! I don't have that. They're a lot different now, though, SOS left, a guy named Natti replaced him and Kno's production got pretty damn amazing.

Got the latest album now, gonna see what all the fuzz is about as soon as I get some time on my hands.

Not sure if you're a hip-hop guy, but yes, do so! :smiley:

Their album A Piece of Strange is what got me into the genre in the first place and shattered my preconceptions and tendency to believe in the stereotypes about rap.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 02:46:38 PM »
Do you think CunninLynguists would change my opinion about hip hop? If so, I'll probably check this album out.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline The Degenerate

• The Knight of Noir
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 05:22:44 PM »
They did for me, so who knows? It's worth a try, in any case. Here, I'll update the OP with some songs in just a moment...

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2011, 08:30:16 PM »
 :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline The Degenerate

• The Knight of Noir
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2011, 09:12:22 PM »
:hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

So I take it you like it. Now get A Piece of Strange :hat

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2011, 11:18:21 PM »
DTF does like hip hop.
Proof here https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=385.0

I'll get the album sometime btw.

Offline The Degenerate

• The Knight of Noir
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2011, 01:48:45 AM »
DTF does like hip hop.
Proof here https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=385.0

:tup Thanks, I'll read through that at some point.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2011, 02:01:40 AM »
as someone who has been making hip hop music for about a decade now i am always looking for new hip hop artists to listen to because honestly i can't stand most of the newer artists. Although i have kind of given it up for the most part (i still do some production work) because of a new career choice and school i'm still a fan of good hip hop. I think the music is really cool and much better than the garbage on the radio now. But the rapping... maybe i have to listen to it more! lol

Offline The Degenerate

• The Knight of Noir
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2011, 02:14:13 AM »
If you're into production work, I think you'd appreciate A Piece of Strange and Kno's solo album, Death Is Silent.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2011, 02:16:15 AM »
If you're into production work, I think you'd appreciate A Piece of Strange and Kno's solo album, Death Is Silent.

Ok thanks i will check them out!

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2011, 03:05:11 AM »
This album is real good. Better than MBDTF, though it won't get anywhere near that sort of exposure. CunninLynguists is probably my favourite contemporary hip-hop artist atm, surpassing Madlib  :)
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2011, 10:41:36 PM »
The new album is absolutely breathtaking. Totally blown away
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2011, 10:45:34 PM »
I really, really, like it.  Can't say that I'm as blown away as Quad, but this is definitely going on my list for another listen.  There is some really cool stuff going on in here. 

Offline The Degenerate

• The Knight of Noir
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2011, 11:12:30 PM »
:o ;D Glad to see so many people are enjoying this! Of the fourteen albums I have from 2011 so far, this is still my favorite.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2011, 06:30:30 AM »
So this album is pretty good, out of the ~10 albums I've heard this year it's easily in the upper half.
Still seems like some people are praising it a bit extreme, but this first quarter of 2011 has been kinda lame.  :P

Offline jsem

« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2011, 07:41:19 AM »
I usually don't enjoy hip hop. But this is definitely godtier hip hop. I'm going to give the album a full listen soon

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2011, 12:39:43 PM »
I think I probably prefer it overall to A Piece Of Strange, but both are indeed God-tier, and not just for hip-hop IMO.

Offline The Degenerate

• The Knight of Noir
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2011, 05:08:27 PM »
I still can't decide if I like A Piece of Strange or Oneirology more. I think the former's high points are higher, but the latter is more consistent (it also has less variety, but I think due to the general atmosphere and concept of the album it works in its favor). In any case they're likely my two favorite hip-hop albums, with only Immortal Technique's Revolutionary Vol. 2 being anywhere near them :lol

It's great to see this getting so much love, especially on a forum that's not partial to the genre. :)

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2011, 09:20:14 PM »
I'm about to check it out, right after The Dave Brubeck Quartet :P, and my interest in this new album has only heightened. I wiki'd the album, but up came the article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oneirology and so this all makes sense to me. The album cover, the woman is actually in a dream. Didn't guess that. That's all the more interesting for me. Can't wait to hear Oneirology, oh and it's actually pronounced a certain way too.
https://thefreedictionary.com/oneirology I thought it was like "1 - Eye - Rology" :lol.

edit: https://wegotthiscovered.com/wp-content/uploads/oneirology.jpg Higher res full artwork.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 09:56:26 PM by SPNKr »

Offline The Degenerate

• The Knight of Noir
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2011, 09:23:33 AM »
edit: https://wegotthiscovered.com/wp-content/uploads/oneirology.jpg Higher res full artwork.

Thank you! I've been wanting that as my wallpaper... :lol

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2011, 09:39:14 AM »
I made it my wallpaper this morning too lol
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.

Offline Iarwain

« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2011, 09:57:44 AM »
Listened to Oneirology yesterday for the first time. Thought it was very good and I'll definitely have to check the rest of their discography.

Can't believe I overlooked these guys for so long.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2011, 06:33:37 PM »
I think that's the first hip-hop album I really love all the way through...

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2011, 09:02:24 PM »
FFFUUU they didn't have this album in my record store WTF
space cadet, pull out.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2011, 10:54:43 PM »

Thank you! I've been wanting that as my wallpaper... :lol
:D
I couldn't find any bigger sizes, unfortunately.