Author Topic: Security Guard Jobs  (Read 1528 times)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Security Guard Jobs
« on: March 17, 2011, 07:50:23 PM »
I am thinking about getting a job working security. A guy I used to bowl with (and still do sometimes) works as a security guard.. not sure of the company yet, all i know is his shift involves patrolling a shopping center / construction site. He told me all I would need is my Guard Card and not have a criminal record, and I would be set... They would hire me in an instant. I've done some research on getting the Guard Card, and I have found that it costs upwards to $200,  but i found a place that holds the course for 80. Any thoughts on this? any advice? Anyone out there who is in this field and has anything to say? anyone wants cookies?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Security Guard Jobs
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 07:52:15 PM »
I was hall monitor once.

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 07:52:45 PM »
I'll take a cookie.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 07:55:32 PM »
I worked for an area security outfit at one time and quit after two weeks. Now the organization (which hired people and then subbed them out to places and for events) was the most mismanaged outfit I've ever seen, and that's why I quit, but that aside I doubt I would have stayed that long anyway seeing as how it was the most godawfully boring job one could imagine.

Basically just standing in a spot for hours without being allowed to do anything to pre-occupy yourself... fucking dreadful. Some people like getting payed to stand around and do nothing, but I am not one of them.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 07:56:19 PM »
I'll take a cookie.

do you deserve a cookie?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 07:58:41 PM »
Find out who the site manager is, and talk to him.  He will be in charge of the hiring and might have an inside track on where to go to get your card as inexpensively as possible.  If he ends up liking you, it could very well turn into a situation where he just says "Consider yourself hired.  Go to X to get your guard card, and when you have it, I'll put you on the schedule."  Since you aren't talking about a gun card, I'm assuming it's an unarmed position?

Some advice if you get the job:  Some posts are dead-ends in that you can never really climb the ladder; you'll just always be a guard.  In others, there is plenty of room to move up to supervisor/Sgt./Lt. positions, which is a good thing.  Remember that security guard positiosn get really boring, really fast, and when the mind wanders, it is tempting to do stuff that goes against the rules.  Don't do it.  Keep your nose clean and try to move up, because you can make pretty good money.  Even if this ends up being a situation where you can't advance, you can get some good experience and go to a better company down the road.  If you can get on with a company that has government contracts and pays prevailing wage, you can make REALLY good money.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 08:04:38 PM »

Offline Kura

• (●ゝω・)ノ ♡
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 08:10:07 PM »
I'm pretty sure you need to have training in first aid/ CPR and safety stuff before you can land the job.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 02:25:32 AM »
I worked as a security guard in the late 90's for a short stretch of time. I've never heard of a guard card. Is it something to do with newer laws? And yes, it's boring as hell.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 12:20:06 PM »
An old band mate of mine worked security checking trucks in/out of some shipping facility. I think he's still doing it today. It's very boring (but that of course depends where you work and what your specific job entails) and time goes by slow, but it seems pretty easy. Just sits in a booth all day reading, listening to music, etc. when there aren't trucks to check in.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2011, 11:54:12 AM »
Mega bump!

I mentioned it in the chat thread then I remembered this thread..

So the guy who originally convinced me to go though with this has gotten in contact with me. A position has opened up (or will be open in a few weeks) and he mentioned me to his supervisor. I get a call asking if I am interested. I say yes. I get a message a few days ago asking if I still am interested. I say yes. Then he tells me he wants me to go out and meet him to pick up some forms and he is gonna give me some more info and they plan on starting me with a few hours here and there until the full position becomes available. :metal

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"