Author Topic: Japan's Quake Could Cause the World's First Technology-based Price Shock  (Read 1663 times)

Offline Riceball

• It's the economy, stupid.
This is something I was thinking about when writing a couple of articles on the Japanese disaster & its impact on the Australian economy for work. Japan, apparently, accounts for 20 per cent of the worlds semi-conductor production and 40 per cent of the worlds flash memory production. I couldn't find anything on the material impacts on production at Japan's facilities, but suffice to say if a significant portion of their capacity was knocked out of action (be it through the earthquake, tsunami or power outages), technology companies would feel it very quickly. In saying that, however, I did read that tech companies carry roughly two weeks of spare supplies in case something like this happened.

My thinking is that these two components are present in pretty much all manufactured technology goods, and any shortage would be felt across the entire supply chain. This would cause prices to rise, similar to when the oil price shoots up rapidly (but, naturally, the impact is less severe).

I ask you, dear P/R'ers, do you think that we could be on the verge of the first technology-based supply shock?
I punch those numbers into my calculator and they make a happy face.

A $500 Musical Odyssey: Now accepting nominations

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
I think if this does happen; China would be delighted to carry the production burden of these items just fine.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
A mild temporary price hike at most, assuming that things will start to calm down. Tokyo is supposed to be having rolling blackouts right now, but they are usually false alarms.

wtf is the internet?

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
Correct me if I'm wrong ack, a friend of mine currently in Japan told me Tokyo was (relatively) okay, but it was Sendai that actually got the brunt of it?
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
Tokyo is relatively okay and the problems here are electricity shortage (which affects transportation) and shortage of some supplies. Sendai or Miyagi prefecture north of Tokyo has been utterly destroyed.

wtf is the internet?

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Electric components are too cheap and easy to make for there to be a world wilde shortage severe enough to jack up prices.

Offline Riceball

• It's the economy, stupid.
Yeah, stocks are going berzerk at the moment. The Nikkei went -6.2pc, -9pc, +7pc and today is -2pc. The US tanked last night also. Doesn't take much (when I say much, I mean purely in financial terms not to do with human loss or anything) to muck up an algorithm since 2007.
I punch those numbers into my calculator and they make a happy face.

A $500 Musical Odyssey: Now accepting nominations

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Wtf is "pc"? Percent?

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline shadowfex

Wtf is "pc"? Percent?

rumborak

Yep.
"Once he had forests and mountains that were only his - listening to him. Once he would run through the summer days catching memories for ages to come. Now he is dressing this naked floor with his flesh and blood, and time passes by. His trade of pain might just have lead him to deal with consequence for some change as time passes by"