Author Topic: Personal Enslavement  (Read 9099 times)

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Personal Enslavement
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2011, 06:40:21 PM »
Is it bad that I didn't get that this was a parody thread until I saw the emoticon at the end of the post? Man, I've had so many blond moments today.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2011, 06:41:19 PM »
MEN DON'T HAVE BLOND MOMENTS YOU PANSY.

Offline LeeHarveyKennedy

• Who is posting?
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Oh my God, LHK is posting! How can that be?
Re: I kid, I kid. Maybe you're an Andalite?
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2011, 07:40:33 PM »
As the party was nearing it's end I noticed that my friends little brother had been on his computer the entire time we were there (roughly 4 hours and 27 minutes).

Wow. Hey Rainman, how many letters are in this sentence?
HOLY MARY MOTHER OF GOD!!!!!  THIS is why LHK is the President of Awesome.

Why is everything you post the best thing ever said?  :lol

LHK is beyond EPIC.
 :hefdaddy

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2011, 07:47:01 PM »
This is called "you're getting old".  Because your father/granfather was probably rambling on about the same sort of thing.  "why are these kids playing stickball, when they could be out working like I was as a lad!"

His parents may have told him he was to stay inside while they had guests.  He has two options:
1. Hang out with older sister and a bunch of adults and fake smiles and get told that he's getting so much bigger since the last time they saw him
2. Talk to his actual friends online. 

TOUGH CHOICE

:neverusethis:
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 08:00:27 PM by icysk8r »
www.bedeceived.com

ZOMG WHAT'S AT BEDECEIVED.COM?

I DUNNO!  CLICK THE DARNED LINK TO FIND OUT!

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2011, 09:12:54 PM »
Theres plenty of parody threads all the time. I dont see a huge deal about this one.

Its just like music. I mean, what about that one band, Symphony X...
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2011, 09:24:50 PM »
@ this thread

Offline dongringo

« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2011, 10:10:22 PM »
I remember getting hooked on Atari 2600 as a kid. Those were the days.  :D
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2011, 11:42:28 PM »
I went to my friend's house with my girlfriend awhile back for an evening of some nice face-to-face social interaction. Before we started doing some hardcore socializing I noticed something that I found really upsetting. As the party was nearing it's end I noticed that my friends little brother had been on his computer the entire time we were there (roughly 4 hours and 27 minutes). Im no child expert or anything, but every time I go to someone's house for some socializing I notice that if there are younger children in the house, they tend to spend way to much time on the computer. They'd rather sit on facebook all day long and talk to there friends on AOL 6.0 or Livejournal instead of going out and enjoying some rays. (:coolio) Is this enslaving us from our natural tendencies to do things the way that I did them when I was growing up?
I mean, my girlfriend and I were simply out, having a decent time with friends, and we could not believe that absurdity of the situation.
Its really as if people are moving away from spending time outside and playing stickball with some neighborhood cronies to sitting their lard butts down on a computer chair for hours on end viewing their Livejournal inbox. Is Livejournal the new stickball? Really?
Does anyone else find this ridiculous, or is this just what American culture is becoming? Perhaps its a generational thing that I cant grasp or something.
I mean, really, I don't need to distract myself with this IBM garbage while Im out with my girlfriend having a blast talking about Jerry Lewis or the Mets, but thats just me.

So what did the fat kid on American Online say to his Mom when she walked in the door from her second job?
"Get me another hot pocket"

:tick2:

Kids suck, dude. I said the same thing when I was 40. Now I'm 70 and beat every damn kid that I don't see taking in some sun everyday. I know plenty of families that allow me to beat their children because they don't learn off their parents. They learn off old assholes, like me.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2011, 07:44:29 AM »
Kids don't suck. They are just too often misguided these days by their lazy parents.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2011, 08:01:29 AM »
Kids don't suck. They are just too often misguided these days by their lazy parents.

Mabye paerents can take jobs with less money and better hours so they can guide the kids.  Sell their houses, move into the apartments and the kids can share the same rooms.   Now the paerent won't be able to by the video games and I-pods and anything else the kid wants but hey,  they won't be lazy anymore.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline dongringo

« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2011, 08:21:05 AM »

Mabye paerents can take jobs with less money and better hours so they can guide the kids.  Sell their houses, move into the apartments and the kids can share the same rooms.   Now the paerent won't be able to by the video games and I-pods and anything else the kid wants but hey,  they won't be lazy anymore.

Don't get down on me for stating a fact. I'm in the apartment management business and I see it all the time. Yes, apartments. So it has nothing to do with house versus apartment life. And it has nothing to do with computers versus playing outside. Parents often shove their kids out the door so they don't have to deal with them just like they let them play on their computers for hours on end so they don't have to deal with them. Those are just facts.

I also know this to be a fact from personal experience growing up. Neither of my parents (whichever I was living with at the time) wanted me in the house. They were always too tired from work, too depressed, or too lazy to deal with their kids. And I ended up getting into a lot of trouble. I'm not blaming them for anything. Just stating a fact. Parents need to spend more quality time with their kids or their kids will spend lesser quality time with themselves.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 08:29:14 AM by dongringo »
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2011, 08:47:41 AM »
This thread is serious business.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2011, 09:10:10 AM »
Why does almost an entire generation of children have to be fixated on there computers instead of going outside to begin with?

Because this is the generation that the computers and technology took off. If computers boomed 50 years ago, my parent's generation would have been the ones fixated on technology.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2011, 09:12:23 AM »
When does one take responsibility for oneself.  My mom had a crappy childhood and mad it her point two treat us better.  Why is it that people want to say, It's my parents fault.  At some point you realize you can be the person You want.  Parents guide but it's no to be all.  I've seen great parent have kids that are trouble and shitty parents that have great kids.

I had great parent and I was shoved outside all the time.  For my good.  Being sent outside isn't a bad thing.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2011, 09:17:19 AM »
When does one take responsibility for oneself.  My mom had a crappy childhood and mad it her point two treat us better.  Why is it that people want to say, It's my parents fault.  At some point you realize you can be the person You want.  Parents guide but it's no to be all.  I've seen great parent have kids that are trouble and shitty parents that have great kids.

I had great parent and I was shoved outside all the time.  For my good.  Being sent outside isn't a bad thing.

Good God, don't get me started on personal responsibility.  The way people are these days, there is no such thing.  Anything you've done wrong or any bad thing that has happened to you is ALWAYS able to be blamed on somebody else.  Can't think of a way to pin it on someone else?  Hire a lawyer.  They'll find a way.  Drives me fucking insane the way the world is nowadays, where no matter what, it's perfectly acceptable to blame all your fuckups on the whole rest of the world.

Offline In The Name Of Rudess

« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2011, 09:34:47 AM »
When does one take responsibility for oneself.  My mom had a crappy childhood and mad it her point two treat us better.  Why is it that people want to say, It's my parents fault.  At some point you realize you can be the person You want.

This is not necessarily true. Child abuse is known to cause permanent brain abnormalities in children. These abnormalities cause psychological and emotional problems in adulthood. These children certainly won't be able to become the person they want, no matter how much they want to.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2011, 09:41:33 AM »
When does one take responsibility for oneself.  My mom had a crappy childhood and mad it her point two treat us better.  Why is it that people want to say, It's my parents fault.  At some point you realize you can be the person You want.

This is not necessarily true. Child abuse is known to cause permanent brain abnormalities in children. These abnormalities cause psychological and emotional problems in adulthood. These children certainly won't be able to become the person they want, no matter how much they want to.

There are many cases where someone can blame the environment they grew up in. Everything in your brain has been influenced by everything you sensed growing up. These influences physically change the way a persons brain can form and develope. The brains will literally be different, certain sections that have been overstimulated will result in a larger mass of that particular part of the brain. This can actually upset a safe balance that has been bread into us through evolution, and cause people to behave in ways that are not the norm. Our brains actually get conditioned to think and respond certain ways in particular situations. In a way its almost like it is self taught instinct, if that makes any sense. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2011, 09:59:49 AM »

If your talking psychical yes, very much so.  He's talking more about parents not being there and making the sacrifices for being there for the children.  While that is very true, it what you do as a person that molds you.  Do you take that and decide to be like your parents were to you like my wife's mom had done and to this day they're still working on their relationship or like my mother and not replay the sins of the past.  It's a choice.  hard as it is, it's a choice.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2011, 02:54:47 PM »

I think to an extent you're right.  When you say 'kids' I'm thinking 0-12years old.  When you get to teen years its pretty much your choice on what kind of person you wanna be.  You have to judge each case on its merits though. 

Offline ehra

« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2011, 04:21:17 PM »
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=21090.0

I got that it's meant to be a parody thread, what I don't get is how this one's supposed to be funny. Usually they take a complaint or point and apply it to a different topic or situation; like the recent locked threads on the DT side (the first of which I chuckled at a bit). But this one is almost the exact same thing. Is it supposed to be funny because it reminds us of another unfunny thread, or what?

Offline dongringo

« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2011, 06:18:52 PM »

I think to an extent you're right.  When you say 'kids' I'm thinking 0-12years old.  When you get to teen years its pretty much your choice on what kind of person you wanna be.  You have to judge each case on its merits though. 

Yeah, that's about the age group I had in mind, give or take a year or two for maturity level. Each case is different as you mention, but by and large, most 'kids' don't have the maturity or experience to be responsible for themselves. Thus their parents are responsible to guide them. I just see too many parents too involved with themselves to pay much attention to their kids. And many of them are welfare parents with plenty of time on their hands, so work can't be an excuse for them. Just some observations. Thank you for not seeing anything into my comment that wasn't there.  ;)
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline dethklok09

• Mike
  • Great band
« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2011, 08:43:33 PM »
Maybe the kid has no friends to play with and he is waiting for someone to send him a friend request.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2011, 10:37:01 PM »
Maybe the kid has no friends to play with and he is waiting for someone to send him a friend request.

:lol Good one!
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2011, 06:28:19 AM »
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=21090.0

I got that it's meant to be a parody thread, what I don't get is how this one's supposed to be funny. Usually they take a complaint or point and apply it to a different topic or situation; like the recent locked threads on the DT side (the first of which I chuckled at a bit). But this one is almost the exact same thing. Is it supposed to be funny because it reminds us of another unfunny thread, or what?

It isn't supposed to be funny, IMO.  It's supposed to be "Let's see if I can make a ridiculous and unnecessary jab at tick and get away with it."