Author Topic: If Dream Theater Does Lose Their Name....  (Read 14746 times)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: If Dream Theater Does Lose Their Name....
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2011, 12:00:09 PM »
OK then. I guess I don't really know your sense of humor as good as I thought I did.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2011, 12:04:42 PM »
OK then. I guess I don't really know your sense of humor as good as I thought I did.
I'm not offended by your humor PC as much as it opening the door for some more ridicule directed towards me, and I get a bit worn out of trying to defend all the misinterpretations of my thoughts.
I'm not mad at you at all PC. I was just being honest with you.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2011, 12:15:22 PM »
The gravest consequence is that the forum should change its name too.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Re: If Dream Theater Does Lose There Name....
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2011, 12:23:17 PM »
They're not gonna lose the name and it's just flatout ridiculous to think they will.
Tell me why its "flatout"ridiculous if Portnoy tries to block them legally? Stranger things have happened. You know for certain he wouldn't win a legal battle? Why?
You never know the way something can go in a court of law. That's just the reality of the situation.
If Mike was fighting them for the name, its the one thing he wouldn't talk about or tweet about if he lawyers advised against it, and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Mike has consulted with an attorney about the rights to the name. You would be?

Well, MP didn't think of the name, his dad did.  So, MP doesn't have the rights to the name.  The band has carried the name for 20+ years.  It just doesn't make any sense that the band would be in jeopardy of losing the name just because the drummer decided to leave.  None of it would hold up in court.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 12:29:04 PM by Dublagent66 »
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2011, 12:26:20 PM »
The gravest consequence is that the forum should change its name too.

That's what I was thinking. :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2011, 12:55:30 PM »
One thing to remember, too, is that if anything was going on in regards to a fight over the use of the name, I seriously doubt the band would be booking summer dates already under the Dream Theater name.  In fact, they probably couldn't.  But since they are, nothing is happening in that regard.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2011, 12:57:26 PM »
One thing to remember, too, is that if anything was going on in regards to a fight over the use of the name, I seriously doubt the band would be booking summer dates already under the Dream Theater name.  In fact, they probably couldn't.  But since they are, nothing is happening in that regard.
That's a good point. I suppose your right.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2011, 02:19:18 PM »
His right, or that he's right?  :biggrin:
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2011, 02:19:45 PM »
One thing to remember, too, is that if anything was going on in regards to a fight over the use of the name, I seriously doubt the band would be booking summer dates already under the Dream Theater name.  In fact, they probably couldn't.  But since they are, nothing is happening in that regard.
That's a good point. I suppose your right.

Not necessarily. The Doors of the 21st Century originally toured under that name until a court-ordered injunction prevented them from using "The Doors" to promote a band that was playing the music with two original members. The ruling came a few years later after the band formed and toured. With that in mind, DT potentially could still be moving forward with the Dream Theater name ASSUMING IF there are legal proceedings to try and prevent them from using the name. Under the assumption that there are legal proceedings over the name (which could be in some kind of mediation rather than filed in court yet, to address the concept not being in public court filings yet), for the sake of this conversation, they could be booking shows under that name until a court tells them otherwise. And in this case, I don't think MP could win.

However, IF MP were to keep them from using the name, all momentum they have could be lost. Outside of die-hard fans, most people associate with the brand and if they are forced to give up DT as a name, it could be a long way back to the top.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2011, 02:24:31 PM »
They won't lose the name.  But whoever is reading this post will lose THE GAME.

:neverusethis:

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2011, 02:36:08 PM »
What if they lose there fame?

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2011, 05:40:16 PM »
They won't lose the name.  But whoever is reading this post will lose THE GAME.

:neverusethis:
Damn you.

Damn you so much.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2011, 10:08:00 PM »
I'm in the minority here - I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Portnoy tried doing something like this.  I'm NOT saying that he HAS done this, but just that, if it came to light that he did do it, I wouldn't be SURPRISED by it. 

So, before some of you start with the insults, read what I actually said.  :)
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2011, 01:41:33 AM »
I would be genuinely shocked if he did something like that. He may get carried away sometimes with what he says, but he's not a dick and he's never so vindictive with his actions.

Anyway it's clearly not happening, so I don't know why we need two threads on the subject. ???

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2011, 01:51:32 AM »
I would be genuinely shocked if he did something like that. He may get carried away sometimes with what he says, but he's not a dick and he's never so vindictive with his actions.

Yeah, I agree with this. Mike may come on strong, and may even be giving the guys a hard time. But it is sort of insulting to imply that he'd stoop as low as to try and basically fire all the other members (which is what taking the name would be equivalent to) rather than quit.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2011, 02:13:13 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea63wqXwhbg

Can't help but think of this. . .

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2011, 02:16:42 AM »
In regards to that video, Kirk is the way the whole band is publicly but Lars is probably their inner voice as far as anything Mike related goes.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2011, 02:20:18 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea63wqXwhbg

Can't help but think of this. . .

Thank you for reminding me why I have never really cared about that band of children.

Offline dvargas

« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2011, 03:34:49 AM »
How about changing the name to Dream Theatre?

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2011, 09:18:05 AM »
It always bugs me a bit when Mike or others say that his father named the band. That's not the case... his father suggested a potential name and then all four (maybe five at the time?) of the guys in the band decided they liked it and went with it. I'm sure they were tossing around many ideas from lots of sources. The onyl way you could say Mike's dad named the band is if they all went to him and said "you pick the name... whatever you want and we'll call our band that."

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2011, 09:36:02 AM »
It always bugs me a bit when Mike or others say that his father named the band. That's not the case... his father suggested a potential name and then all four (maybe five at the time?) of the guys in the band decided they liked it and went with it. I'm sure they were tossing around many ideas from lots of sources. The onyl way you could say Mike's dad named the band is if they all went to him and said "you pick the name... whatever you want and we'll call our band that."
Well, since you require proof...

Offline lithium112

« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2011, 11:04:19 AM »
I sort of see what you're saying, but having been in a few band-naming situations myself, I think there's a difference between a member saying "yeah that idea is cool" and actually creating the name. Sure it was the decision of the entire band, but I think the person whose creative process led to suggesting "Dream Theater" as the name deserves a very honourable mention.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2011, 11:16:52 AM »
I sort of see what you're saying, but having been in a few band-naming situations myself, I think there's a difference between a member saying "yeah that idea is cool" and actually creating the name. Sure it was the decision of the entire band, but I think the person whose creative process led to suggesting "Dream Theater" as the name deserves a very honourable mention.
Sure. Say that Mike's dad suggested the name, not that he picked it.

Anyway, my basic point is that Mike's dad, and Mike himself, have no more claim to the name than the rest of the guys who ultimately chose it.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2011, 11:23:48 AM »
Sure. Say that Mike's dad suggested the name, not that he picked it.

Anyway, my basic point is that Mike's dad, and Mike himself, have no more claim to the name than the rest of the guys who ultimately chose it.
Honestly it doesn't really matter. He came up with the name and they liked it. My point was about the effect it would have on the band if they were to change the name and its been decided its too dumb to discuss, so there you have it.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2011, 12:43:09 PM »
I don't think it's dumb to discuss, though I think it's pretty unlikely to happen.

If they were to lose their name, I'd predict a 50% drop in sales. The casual fan (which likely makes up the majority of record sales) probably wouldn't even realize that the band still existed under a different name. They'd go to playing smaller clubs instead of larger concert halls. It would be pretty devastating to their financial situation I'd imagine. If this is indeed the legal wrangling happening behind the scenes, it's probably in the best interest of the rest of the guys to give Mike a cut just to keep the name.

Offline theusualmadness

« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2011, 04:42:31 PM »
What if, space aliens come down, take the Dream Theater name, and take JP back to his home planet?

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2011, 04:47:31 PM »
What if, space aliens come down, take the Dream Theater name, and take JP back to his home planet?
Then you get to acquire a sense of humor. :tick2:

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2011, 05:10:15 PM »
Technically, isn't the owner of the Dream Theater the one who named the band? Technically.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2011, 07:57:22 PM »
Technically, isn't the owner of the Dream Theater the one who named the band? Technically.

That's generally not how it works, no.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #64 on: March 16, 2011, 07:57:42 PM »

Nope.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2011, 08:26:43 PM »
LIES!

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #66 on: March 16, 2011, 08:57:46 PM »
*sigh*

you nubs know so little.

"Dream Theater" is a copyrighted entity that isn't owned by simply Portnoy, despite the fact that his father conceived the idea. It is in no danger of being changed.

kthanxbye.
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #67 on: March 16, 2011, 09:28:04 PM »
*sigh*

you nubs know so little.

"Dream Theater" is a copyrighted entity that isn't owned by simply Portnoy, despite the fact that his father conceived the idea. It is in no danger of being changed.

kthanxbye.

Your sig is hilarious given the condescending nature of your post. :lol

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #68 on: March 16, 2011, 09:34:30 PM »
Why is this thread still up?  :lol
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #69 on: March 16, 2011, 11:29:25 PM »
*sigh*

you nubs know so little.

kthanxbye.

can you rub my nipples please?