Author Topic: If Dream Theater Does Lose Their Name....  (Read 14743 times)

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
If Dream Theater Does Lose Their Name....
« on: March 15, 2011, 06:49:06 AM »
Inspired by another thread. This one asks the questions...
What would the ramifications be? Would it cut there album and tour sales in half?
Would they have to downsize the venues they will play next tour?
Would it make it more likely they want Mike back in the band at some point to make more money again?
Obviously the die hard fans would still buy the record and go to the shows, but you have to figure it will hurt there standing with the casual fan that doesn't follow this saga on a daily basis. I know some casual DT fans who didn't know Mike was out of the band for quite some time after the fact.
I think if they are forced to make a name change it will hurt them a lot overall. They would be better off paying Mike a large sum of money in the long run than changing the name as far as financial ramifications.
They should just kiss and make up and forget the whole thing ever happened.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 11:00:31 AM by tick »
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: If Dream Theater Does Lose There Name....
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 07:14:55 AM »
The only way I can see Dream Theater (as it exists now) losing their name is if a Yes sort of things happens, where James, John, Jordan, and John M. decide to call it quits, and years later the label brings Mike Portnoy and some other assortment of past members to talk about a reunion. You've got to admit: Mike Portnoy + any other two or three members from any era would be pretty justified in calling themselves "Dream Theater," especially if the band had called it quits anyway.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 08:14:55 AM »
Wow, so now we're speculating that they are somehow going to lose the band's name?  And...how exactly did you come to such a conclusion?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ħ

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 08:24:09 AM »
Wow, so now we're speculating that they are somehow going to lose the band's name?  And...how exactly did you come to such a conclusion?
I think we're just bored since they haven't announced the drummer yet.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline emtee

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 08:27:43 AM »
They won't lose the name. Even if they had to pay some kind of fee to keep it they would.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 09:00:08 AM »
Yeah, I have a feeling MP isn't like Roger Waters and if he tries he'll fail as miserably as he did, probably.

But if such a thing were to happen that'd suck. :(

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 09:19:24 AM »
I'm not to sure about the question at hand, but all I know is that if I started this thread I would have been crucified for it.  :tick2:
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 09:22:30 AM »
Its all the rumor mill. I have heard from supposed insiders(not that I necessarily buy it) that a legal battle is taking place over the rights to the name. Considering how Mike sour is over what has transpired since he left and the fact he is proud of the fact his deceased father named the band, its certainly plausible he does not want the name used without him being part of the band. The longer DT's silence on the drummer goes on the more speculation will continue.
I personally am still a huge Mike fan, but it would not shock me if he wants to see them using the Dream Theater name blocked. If I gave my heart and soul to something that I founded for 25 years, that my father named, I would not want anyone using the name if I was on the outs.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 09:23:16 AM »
I'm not to sure about the question at hand, but all I know is that if I started this thread I would have been crucified for it.  :tick2:
:tup

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2011, 09:30:19 AM »
They're not gonna lose the name and it's just flatout ridiculous to think they will.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2011, 09:37:13 AM »
Portnoy left the band; he was not kicked out.  So, it would be ridiculous for him to try to wrestle the name away from the four guys who, ya know, didn't leave the band.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 09:39:02 AM »
I think we're just bored since they haven't announced the drummer yet.

+1000000000

Offline In The Name Of Rudess

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2011, 09:39:41 AM »
If I gave my heart and soul to something that I founded for 25 years, that my father named, I would not want anyone using the name if I was on the outs.

And if that were to result in a huge legal battle with 4 people (your best friends) potentially losing their main source of income would you still not allow them to use the name?

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 09:41:23 AM »
They're not gonna lose the name and it's just flatout ridiculous to think they will.
Tell me why its "flatout"ridiculous if Portnoy tries to block them legally? Stranger things have happened. You know for certain he wouldn't win a legal battle? Why?
You never know the way something can go in a court of law. That's just the reality of the situation.
If Mike was fighting them for the name, its the one thing he wouldn't talk about or tweet about if he lawyers advised against it, and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Mike has consulted with an attorney about the rights to the name. You would be?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2011, 09:43:55 AM »
...I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Mike has consulted with an attorney about the rights to the name. You would be?

Frankly, yes, since there is not a shred of information suggesting that that has happened.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2011, 09:46:41 AM »

We´re going to keep on speculating on all kind of crazy stuff until we get the drummer's name. WE'RE BORED.

Can you help us "Double Agent"?
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2011, 09:47:40 AM »
Portnoy left the band; he was not kicked out.  So, it would be ridiculous for him to try to wrestle the name away from the four guys who, ya know, didn't leave the band.
Things change and Mike is an emotional guy who could very well want the name not used without him, since he wanted back in and supposedly they won't return any calls, etc.
We are along way from him leaving the band, and many twists and turns have happened since. If things were all friendly between them I would say he probably let them be, but I believe he is hurt now and may feel differently about the name he helped forge.
Anyone can disagree with me, but its in no way not a plausable thought that he may now not want them to be DT.  

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2011, 09:48:31 AM »
...I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Mike has consulted with an attorney about the rights to the name. You would be?

Frankly, yes, since there is not a shred of information suggesting that that has happened.
Why would there necessarily have to be?

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2011, 09:50:15 AM »
If I gave my heart and soul to something that I founded for 25 years, that my father named, I would not want anyone using the name if I was on the outs.

And if that were to result in a huge legal battle with 4 people (your best friends) potentially losing their main source of income would you still not allow them to use the name?
Do you really thinks he considers them his best friends at this point? Are they even friends at all would be the real question?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2011, 09:52:08 AM »

Because...you started a thread that assumes as its premise that that is the case.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2011, 09:52:28 AM »
For fuck's sake there's no legal battle over the name or anything else.  Any legal issues would have been brought to court and made a matter of public record.  There's no indication that such a battle is taking place, and there's no way any sane judge would give MP the rights to the name when HE left the band with four other guys (the other two founding members had been playing with each other before they met Mike!) still wanting to continue.  Mike might be sad, he might be bitter, but he's not mean-spirited enough to actually try something like this.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2011, 09:54:54 AM »
Things change and Mike is an emotional guy who could very well want the name not used without him, since he wanted back in and supposedly they won't return any calls, etc.
We are along way from him leaving the band, and many twists and turns have happened since. If things were all friendly between them I would say he probably let them be, but I believe he is hurt now and may feel differently about the name he helped forge.
Anyone can disagree with me, but its in no way not a plausable thought that he may now not want them to be DT.  

Okay, but from a legal standpoint, I would think him leaving the band, which he did publicly by announcing it first on his own website, is him relinquishing his rights to the name.  Remember than John Petrucci and John Myung, both of whom have been a part of Dream Theater since the beginning, had just as much right to the name as him, and once Portnoy left, those two now have all rights to the name.  It is kind of like Chris Squire having rights to the Yes name because he is the only one to have been on every Yes album and to have never left the band.  

I would guess that, from a legal standpoint, the fact that Portnoy's dad named the band is completely irrelevant.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2011, 09:59:25 AM »

Because...you started a thread that assumes as its premise that that is the case.
Its just conversation based on a rumor I heard from someone who supposedly is in the know. I am not saying this is taking place, but I wouldn't say as some have that its beyond the realm of possibility.
No one wants to actually comment on my HYPOTHETICAL situation, as usual its more fun to just rip me for posing such a sill question.
Why not just just answer the what if questions? I can't win. :facepalm:

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2011, 10:01:42 AM »

Okay, but from a legal standpoint, I would think him leaving the band, which he did publicly by announcing it first on his own website, is him relinquishing his rights to the name.  Remember than John Petrucci and John Myung, both of whom have been a part of Dream Theater since the beginning, had just as much right to the name as him, and once Portnoy left, those two now have all rights to the name.  It is kind of like Chris Squire having rights to the Yes name because he is the only one to have been on every Yes album and to have never left the band.  

I would guess that, from a legal standpoint, the fact that Portnoy's dad named the band is completely irrelevant.
Thank you for a reasonable, respectful responce.

but as I said, if it was to happen, what would it do to the band. That's what I intended the conversation to be, not the absurdity of something that will never happen.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2011, 10:04:13 AM »
This board isn't really big on what-if scenarios, in case you haven't noticed  :biggrin:

This one's even a little too unlikely for me to consider, but I still tried to answer the question in a way that it would made sense to me. I don't know if you found my response valuable or not.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2011, 10:06:10 AM »
This board isn't really big on what-if scenarios, in case you haven't noticed  :biggrin:

It is now certainly noted. :tick2:

Although 4000+ posts on speculating who the drummer will be kind of contradicts that point.

Offline In The Name Of Rudess

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2011, 10:11:23 AM »

Do you really thinks he considers them his best friends at this point? Are they even friends at all would be the real question?

So that means: No, I still wouldn't allow them to use the name? Okay, to each his own.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 10:18:41 AM by In The Name Of Rudess »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2011, 10:18:53 AM »
No one wants to actually comment on my HYPOTHETICAL situation, as usual its more fun to just rip me for posing such a sill question.

Well, I have to call complete B.S. on that one, Tick.  I've been (and still am) one of your biggest supporters, so there is certainly no fun being had on my part for "ripping you for posing such a silly question."  But, to put it in as mild terms as possible, I think P.C. framed it well:
This one's even a little too unlikely for me to consider...

It's also kind of insulting to insulting to MP to even imply that that might be going on.  So to pose such a farfetched scenario, and one that is insulting to MP on top of that, it rubs me the wrong way.  Especially in light of the fact that, as you should note from other threads, there are a lot of new users who latch onto every little thing said here and assume that it has been said on some official source and might be true. 

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2011, 10:31:53 AM »

Well, I have to call complete B.S. on that one, Tick.  I've been (and still am) one of your biggest supporters, so there is certainly no fun being had on my part for "ripping you for posing such a silly question."  But, to put it in as mild terms as possible, I think P.C. framed it well:
This one's even a little too unlikely for me to consider...

It's also kind of insulting to insulting to MP to even imply that that might be going on.  So to pose such a farfetched scenario, and one that is insulting to MP on top of that, it rubs me the wrong way.  Especially in light of the fact that, as you should note from other threads, there are a lot of new users who latch onto every little thing said here and assume that it has been said on some official source and might be true. 
First off, I mean it with all honesty when I say that I did not start this thread to stir up crap. It truly was not my intention. I thought the topic would be interesting conversation. I didn't realize it would be met with such disdain. Sorry folks.
Ok then, I get it. They are Dream Theater and always will be Dream Theater so its to ridiculous to talk about. I will accept that overall sentiment and move on.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2011, 10:40:57 AM »
First off, I mean it with all honesty when I say that I did not start this thread to stir up crap.

I'm sure you didn't.  One thing I appreciate about you and the way you typically post is that I don't think you have a malicious bone in your body.  It wasn't that I thought you had a bad intent, but more just the way it ends up coming across regardless of the intent.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2011, 10:56:30 AM »
Okay this has been bothering me:

Can someone please change the thread title so that is says THEIR name?

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2011, 11:18:25 AM »
First off, I mean it with all honesty when I say that I did not start this thread to stir up crap.

I'm sure you didn't.  One thing I appreciate about you and the way you typically post is that I don't think you have a malicious bone in your body. 
Thank you Bosk, I appreciate hearing that.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: If Dream Theater Does Lose Their Name....
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2011, 11:21:49 AM »
Sorry tick. I was just making light of the situation with that thread. It was a joke. I don't know if it was locked because it was spam, because you didn't like it, or because some other do-gooder around here falsely construed it to be offensive to you, but since it's locked and I can't post there now I want you and everyone else to know that there was no bad intentions involved at all. I'd send you a PM but I don't want others to get the wrong idea either.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2011, 11:36:55 AM »
Spam, which should be obvious.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2011, 11:48:49 AM »
I wonder what the answers would have been to my questions if I had asked how DT would be effected if THEY decided to change their name?
Probably wouldn't have been received any better.

Anyhow. PC, I understand your thread was a joke but I'm probably the one person who had a hard time laughing along with it. I however did not complain about it.