Author Topic: The Official Opeth Thread: New Album now streaming  (Read 353666 times)

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Opeth Thread: New Album now streaming
« Reply #3290 on: April 15, 2012, 10:53:17 AM »
1. Ghost Reveries
2. Blackwater Park
3. Watershed
4. Deliverance
5. Still Life
6. Heritage
7. Damnation

I've haven't listened enough to the rest to form an opinion.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3291 on: April 15, 2012, 11:56:59 AM »
I was supposed to go to the Pittsburgh show tonight, but now I'm not gonna make it. My brother has two tickets, but he's not feeling well enough to go. I would have to drive an hour out of my way to pick them up, then another hour to get to the show, and I can't find anyone else to go with me (what a surprise, most people aren't Mastodon/Opeth fans), so I'm not really feeling the drive.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #3292 on: April 15, 2012, 12:09:00 PM »
If I were you I would totally go, but I guess it depends how big of a fan you are. And I don't mean that in a bad way, but if you don't think it's worth it, then it isn't, but personally I think it would be worth it. :P

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #3293 on: April 15, 2012, 12:17:08 PM »
Yeah, on a normal basis, every concert I've gone to that wasn't in town (basically all but 2) it was at least a 5 hour drive, the longest being  9 hours.  Of course I'm a road dog and enjoy roadtrips  :laugh:

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3294 on: April 15, 2012, 02:17:09 PM »
I was supposed to go to the Pittsburgh show tonight, but now I'm not gonna make it. My brother has two tickets, but he's not feeling well enough to go. I would have to drive an hour out of my way to pick them up, then another hour to get to the show, and I can't find anyone else to go with me (what a surprise, most people aren't Mastodon/Opeth fans), so I'm not really feeling the drive.

lol, 2 hours? I'm driving for 5.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #3295 on: April 15, 2012, 07:32:46 PM »
I drove for about 7 to see Symphony X open for Blind Guardian during the Odyssey era. Well worth it and I still have the pick that Romeo reluctantly gave me after much annoyance.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #3296 on: April 16, 2012, 09:14:36 AM »
I drove for about 7 to see Symphony X open for Blind Guardian during the Odyssey era. Well worth it and I still have the pick that Romeo reluctantly gave me after much annoyance.
Hey man

Romeo

HEY

Can I have that pick?

CAN I? PLEASE!

CAN I HAVE IT

...FUCK YES.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline TVC 15

• I was bored before I even began
« Reply #3297 on: April 16, 2012, 01:30:49 PM »
Has anyone picked up the BWP reissue yet?  I'm curious to know about what folks think about the 5.0 mix on DVD.

Offline Pockets17red

• Unofficially Official Prog Archivist
  • If you don't like it, right up yours!
« Reply #3298 on: April 16, 2012, 02:07:37 PM »
Has anyone picked up the BWP reissue yet?  I'm curious to know about what folks think about the 5.0 mix on DVD.
Yeah, I got it it two years ago and I love it! (It was first released in the UK for around $10 and it is kinda funny that it was reissued in the US for $20)
Keep on turning, Keep on turning, Turning around, Spinning around, round, round, round, round, round, round, round, round...

Offline TVC 15

• I was bored before I even began
« Reply #3299 on: April 16, 2012, 03:06:35 PM »
So, are those the same as the reissues being discussed here?

https://pitchfork.com/news/45977-opeth-launch-reissue-campaign/

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #3300 on: April 16, 2012, 03:20:17 PM »
Guys guys, I need your help.  I can't decide which is my favorite Opeth record- Still Life or Blackwater Park.  Some days I think SL, some days BWP, and so on and so forth.  So, because thinking for yourself is fucking overrated and lame, I turn now to you DTF to decide for me:  which do I like more???

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3301 on: April 16, 2012, 03:21:43 PM »
Guys guys, I need your help.  I can't decide which is my favorite Opeth record- Still Life or Blackwater Park.  Some days I think SL, some days BWP, and so on and so forth.  So, because thinking for yourself is fucking overrated and lame, I turn now to you DTF to decide for me:  which do I like more???

Ghost Reveries.  :biggrin:
I think both SL and BWP are pretty even. I tend to like SL more though, I feel like it's slightly more cohesive, I've never really been blown away by Dirge For November or The Funeral Portrait. (Don't get me wrong, both are great songs, but they've never hit me like the others)

• DT.net Member
« Reply #3302 on: April 16, 2012, 03:28:19 PM »
Hey man

Romeo

HEY

Can I have that pick?

CAN I? PLEASE!

CAN I HAVE IT

...FUCK YES.

Well, ya nailed my posting style but I was probably even more annoying than that since this was in late '02 when Romeo was a little more curmudgeonly than he is now. Ever since he dropped some weight and SX became more popular, he seems a little more laid back and outgoing.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #3303 on: April 16, 2012, 03:28:29 PM »

Ghost Reveries.  :biggrin:

Hah!  I knew you were going to say that.  GR sits firmly at #3 in my ranking.  I love it just not as much as SL & BWP.  Those two together with GR make up my holy trinity of Opeth albums.  Also, I don't have the first three albums or Deliverance so for all I know one of those might be my fave and I just don't know it yet.  But as it stands right now SL and BWP are fighting it out for #1.  Help me DTF-Kenobi, you're my only hope.  Which do I like better?

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3304 on: April 16, 2012, 04:57:04 PM »
Still Life!

I also recommend you to get the albums you don't have. Deliverance is a bit hit or miss with people, personally I think it's their second best, and I know there are people who agree with me on it's awesomeness, but some don't like it at all. My Arms Your Hearse is generally regarded one of the band's best albums, and in the same class as BWP and SL.
Orchid and Morningrise are generally considered a bit weaker, but I think they have some really badass songs, and they are certainly worth checking out. As far as a debut album goes, I think Orchid is a very good one.  :hat

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3305 on: April 16, 2012, 04:59:20 PM »

lol, 2 hours? I'm driving for 5.
Eh. I have a pretty tiresome work schedule right now and can't get enough sleep as it is. It wasn't worth it to me.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #3306 on: April 16, 2012, 05:11:00 PM »
I love Opeth, but they gotta up their game with their current sets. You're playing with Mastodon! Enough Heritage! :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3307 on: April 16, 2012, 05:26:29 PM »
I think their general fanbase can appreciate it.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #3308 on: April 16, 2012, 06:30:39 PM »
The 5.0 mix has been around for a while already.  I haven't listened to it yet though.  That said, the digibook is fuggin beautiful and worth getting just for that.

I'm kinda curious why Damnation and Deliverance are also getting reissues.  Are they difficult to find now or something?

Still Life.

You know it's true.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #3309 on: April 16, 2012, 08:14:34 PM »
All for you, Heretic.

:D I knew this would happen when I chose this username.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #3310 on: April 16, 2012, 08:45:07 PM »
A bit late, but I'll try a ranking. (haven't heard Deliverance, Ghost Reveries or Still Life enough times to give a fair ranking)

1: Blackwater Park
2: Wattershed
3: Damnation
4: Heritage
5: My Arms, Your Hearse
6: Opeth
7: Morningrise
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #3311 on: April 16, 2012, 09:02:56 PM »
After two god damn months of waiting, my ticket for Mastopeth have officially arrived in the mail. Two from today, can't wait.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Pockets17red

• Unofficially Official Prog Archivist
  • If you don't like it, right up yours!
« Reply #3312 on: April 17, 2012, 10:59:39 AM »
I'm kinda curious why Damnation and Deliverance are also getting reissues.  Are they difficult to find now or something?
The End records got the rights to all of the Opeth catalogue from Music for Nations so that's why those two albums were released. Money grab basically.
Keep on turning, Keep on turning, Turning around, Spinning around, round, round, round, round, round, round, round, round...

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #3313 on: April 17, 2012, 11:00:18 AM »
1. BWP, Deliverance, Ghost Reveries
4. Still Life
5. Damnation (though depressing as fuck, even by opeth standards)
6. Watershed
7. Morningrise
8. Heritage

9. Orchid

10. My Farms, Your Horse

to be fair, Watershed could easily be higher on my list...its just that i was getting over my fanboyness to the band prior to its release and never really gave it the number of spins it deserved. i'm gonna throw it in now.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3314 on: April 17, 2012, 12:11:49 PM »
My Arms, Your Hearse last...  :omg:

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3315 on: April 17, 2012, 02:28:08 PM »
ya. i dont wanna get into it; i was already chased from this thread once for hating on it.
i traded my copy of my farms, your horse to a(n ex-)friend for a live in flames album about 10 years back. not that im into in flames, but i did find that i was trading up.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3316 on: April 17, 2012, 02:41:16 PM »
Well, it's all opinions really. Was just surprised. It's hard for me to see, when people diss on Orchid and Morningrise, in many of the cases it's because of the production or the sound, or the songs not being as "good", but with MAYH I don't think there's anything in particular that stands out as a negative factor. And it has "Demon of the Fall" and "When" for example. :P
Don't worry, I'm not gonna chase you down with a pitchfork, I just thought that part of the ranking was... interesting.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #3317 on: April 17, 2012, 02:52:50 PM »
I'll be happy to pickup Zant's slack and pitchfork and chase you down myself. :P Butsrsly, that opinion hurts my ear soul. Then again, I'm pretty sure every single musical opinion I have hurts someone's ear soul even more than mine; I may have even purged some ear souls from their body and damned them to purgatory, forever riding the undulating waves of white noise for earturnity.

I like the name though, having an immense love for horse meat. Not horse cock. I don't like that. I like chopping apart the bodies of horses and cooking them slowly over a hellfire in the heart of Winter though; that's real nice...with Credence playing in the background...and then into Karma, which is when I begin to feast on the body of the horse. Dat outro...RAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! :heart :heart :heart

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3318 on: April 17, 2012, 02:56:52 PM »
There was a time when I didn't think much of MAYH, but now after being into the band for 3 years, it sits comfortably in the top4. It might even climb into the top3, I feel like some of the other albums have fallen down a bit. BWP and SL are still amazing, but have lost a tiny bit of charm, meanwhile MAYH has maintained it's charm and gotten even better with each listen.  :hat

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3319 on: April 17, 2012, 05:19:27 PM »
ya. i dont wanna get into it; i was already chased from this thread once for hating on it.
i traded my copy of my farms, your horse to a(n ex-)friend for a live in flames album about 10 years back. not that im into in flames, but i did find that i was trading up.

Are you the guy who was all butthurt because Mikael did the bass parts because Martin Mendez couldn't learn all the parts before the deadline?

If so, lol.

If not, still lol for putting it so far down the list.  I think it's officially become my favorite Opeth album.  Great, adrenaline-heavy hooks, beautiful atmospheric acoustic parts, amazing riffs, great atmosphere, etc. etc. etc.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #3320 on: April 17, 2012, 05:23:26 PM »
Its in my top 4 Opeth albums! Great one.

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3321 on: April 18, 2012, 09:22:22 AM »
ya, that was me, skyplummetingninja; though the essence of my post was lost on everyone...or, rather, not found by anyone.

my first time seeing Opeth (second time, 'cept for the fact i passed out and missed em a year earlier during Sounds of the Underground) was on the Ghost Reveries tour. pretty great show (that included mikael sdaying my buddy sounded like a pig), but it sure wasn't a Pain of Occupation playlist. no songs off Deliverance, and the only album with multiple selections was Your Horse (unless i'm misremembering and there were also two tracks off Ghost Reveries).

tiojorge, i'm exhausted from the pitchfork chase, but i did love your post.  :)

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #3322 on: April 18, 2012, 10:13:20 AM »
Obviously music isn't a science, but MAYH is so representative of Opeth's signature sound that putting it at the bottom of the list doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

• DT.net Member
« Reply #3323 on: April 18, 2012, 11:04:41 AM »
Opinions are based off of what people like, not reasoning. I realize you more than likely know that already but your post seemed to ignore that aspect of subjectivity.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3324 on: April 18, 2012, 11:06:13 AM »
Obviously music isn't a science, but MAYH is so representative of Opeth's signature sound that putting it at the bottom of the list doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Yeah I agree that it is very representative of Opeth and their sound. Honestly I think it's their most representative album, even more then Blackwater Park or Still Life.