Author Topic: The Official Opeth Thread: New Album now streaming  (Read 348517 times)

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
Re: The Official Opeth Thread: New Album now streaming
« Reply #2590 on: September 30, 2011, 04:28:11 PM »
Why do you suck so much?
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #2591 on: September 30, 2011, 04:33:44 PM »
Sorry, but drum solos (and really most pure solo performances in the middle of concerts) are boring as shit, especially drum solos. I'm not sure I've ever seen a drum solo I've legitimately enjoyed.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #2592 on: September 30, 2011, 04:56:21 PM »
Sorry, but drum solos (and really most pure solo performances in the middle of concerts) are boring as shit, especially drum solos. I'm not sure I've ever seen a drum solo I've legitimately enjoyed.
That is just fucking wrong.  Holy shit. 

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2593 on: September 30, 2011, 05:30:43 PM »

But Neil Peart.....

Also, Mangini's was pretty good at the DT show last week.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2594 on: September 30, 2011, 05:47:58 PM »
This.

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #2595 on: September 30, 2011, 05:53:19 PM »
I can appreciate solo spots as a musician because it's usually a nice display of some impressive chops, but yeah it's usually take a piss or get another beer time for me.  Even Peart's.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #2596 on: September 30, 2011, 05:54:20 PM »
You guys are nuts, I just stand in awe.

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #2597 on: September 30, 2011, 05:55:17 PM »
Eh, if my drink was more than half full or I didn't have to take a leak I probably would to.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #2598 on: September 30, 2011, 06:53:00 PM »
Oh hey, look there are people saying that Axe will never be as good as Lopez.
I must be back in 2007.

I don't think he is. I think Opeth suffers slightly from the replacement.

On the other hand, Akesson improved Opeth's technicality on Watershed without it being wanky.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #2599 on: September 30, 2011, 07:06:00 PM »
We must not be listening to the same drummer as Axe is phenomenal and even more so on Heritage.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #2600 on: October 01, 2011, 12:14:43 AM »
Lopez was sloppy at least sometimes, around the 2.40 and 3.30 marks in this video he has some trouble with rhythm: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiyjsC9-P6c

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2601 on: October 01, 2011, 12:30:09 AM »
Ok guys, I've given this album like 7 spins, and gone from not liking it, to kinda liking it, to not liking it again.

How many chances do I need to give this?

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #2602 on: October 01, 2011, 12:32:33 AM »
Ok guys, I've given this album like 7 spins, and gone from not liking it, to kinda liking it, to not liking it again.

Take it on a drive.  That's what made it a   :heart :heart album for me, driving around works wonders for multiple things.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2603 on: October 01, 2011, 01:20:31 AM »
This.

That.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2604 on: October 01, 2011, 01:59:54 AM »
Normally I don't care much for solos.
Can't really say why, but it all depends on how 'tasteful' it is I guess.
The few times I have actually loved a random drum/guitar-solo or whatever, is when it kinda builds up and fades into the intro to a song, if done well, I think that can be pretty rad.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #2605 on: October 01, 2011, 02:29:34 AM »
Normally I don't care much for solos.
Can't really say why, but it all depends on how 'tasteful' it is I guess.
The few times I have actually loved a random drum/guitar-solo or whatever, is when it kinda builds up and fades into the intro to a song, if done well, I think that can be pretty rad.
I agree!

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #2606 on: October 01, 2011, 03:15:00 AM »
Speaking of drum solos, remember MP's solo from Images in Words: Live in Tokyo? Was the By Demons Be Driven riff piped in or was JP playing it off stage?
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2607 on: October 01, 2011, 07:33:28 AM »

Looks like you just don't like it, bud.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2608 on: October 01, 2011, 08:10:17 AM »
So that drum solo was intentional?  He did it during Porcelain Heart and Frederik had left the stage for a bit, so I just figured something went wrong.

Yeah, so Opeth are pretty great live.  I was pleasantly surprised by how heavy I Feel the Dark, A Fair Judgment, and Slither turned out to be live.  Highlights were definitely Folklore, Credence, Face of Melinda, Slither, and A Fair Judgment. 

Some funny moments:
-Dude crowdsurfing during Slither.  Decided to crowdsurf again during quiet bits of AFJ.  Came down my aisle mumbling "Fucking bullshit, telling me I can't fucking crowdsurf at a fucking concert."  He stumbled back near the front row, Mikael applauded him for crowdsurfing, and told him to do it again.  He did and fell on his head during the first words of Hex Omega.  Mikael kept laughing so much he forgot the lyrics.
-Little bit of Deliverance, acoustic-style.
-Mikael having dinner with the blonde singer from ABBA.  Apparently she is hot, and Mikael would fuck her.
-After the acoustic set: "Thank you for being patient with us"
-"I can't help it if I'm a fucking genius!"

But seriously, Opeth fans can be obnoxious.  Every time there was a quiet bit there was a dude in dreadlocks right in front of me shouting "FUCK FUCKING YEAH" and was headbanging like crazy during closure.  This wouldn't be a problem if his possibly-nasty dreads didn't turn into whips.  There was another obnoxious guy who wanted to hear either "Deliverance" or "Something with testicles, please."  There were a group of people who wouldn't shut the fuck up during the quiet bits...grrrr, just kind of frustrating.  The band put on a great show though.  The only letdown was "The Throat of Winter." 

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #2609 on: October 01, 2011, 09:49:06 AM »
I finally got the CD+DVD edition, I won't be able to check it until monday probably but I put the DVD to get a glimpse of the surround mix and I have to say Mikael's voice is AWESOME on the DVD. It's gonna be hard to wait 2 days to check all of it like it deserves.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #2610 on: October 01, 2011, 10:42:31 PM »
Oh God, I've sinned. I'mma big 'ole sinner. I'd forgotten the holiness that is Dirge For November. Mmm... How I wish Texas wasn't a melting pot of SHIT AND SCALDING HEAT. That way I could actually enjoy Fall as it's meant to be and listen to this fall-y music. But not, God says "You've forgotten, young one. Now you must pay the price HERRRRRITIIIIIIC!". Meanie.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #2611 on: October 02, 2011, 12:29:53 AM »
Well, November isn't even here yet so you've got time.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #2612 on: October 02, 2011, 12:32:27 AM »
That's true, I'm safe for now. But the gods of musica mayhaps smite my ass whilst I listen during said month. I fear for that time, for such a song cannot not be played at least once every few days.

RIP DTP.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #2613 on: October 02, 2011, 12:44:56 AM »
Dat intro! DAT OUTRO!!!
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #2614 on: October 02, 2011, 12:59:23 AM »
:dangerwillrobinson:
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #2615 on: October 02, 2011, 06:11:35 AM »

Well, obviously, that's up to you.  Personally, I am kind of "meh" on it overall, but I think it has some moments of brilliance.  The problem for me is one of focus.  More specifically, the album often seems to lack focus.  I get free jazz and ambiance, I really do.  But the quiet moments drag on a bit too long sometimes and I just don't have the attention span to keep listening without fast forwarding 30 or 40 seconds or more to get to the interesting bits.

Take a track like "Famine" (possibly the best track on the album)  I think the intro is a bit too long, even though I really like the idea, it's just that there was no reason for that percussion stuff to last 1:27 before the piano introduces the first melodic theme.  It doesn't help that "Häxprocess" drones on at the end before it......

If they're going to continue in this direction, and it seems that's what they want to do now, I think they need to find a balance between the ambiance and the prog/melodic stuff.  The metal albums had a better flow, I thought.

I've spun this one about 30 times now, and while I certainly enjoy it for what it is, I think Opeth can do better.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2616 on: October 02, 2011, 07:00:39 AM »
I don't think Heritage necessarily means that this is the road Opeth will be continuing on, because Mikael is a very spontaneous person, from one day to another it can change a lot with him.
So yeah, after 2 years of touring or something, it will be interesting to see what they will bring out next. :)

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #2617 on: October 02, 2011, 10:13:32 AM »

Take a track like "Famine" (possibly the best track on the album)  I think the intro is a bit too long, even though I really like the idea, it's just that there was no reason for that percussion stuff to last 1:27 before the piano introduces the first melodic theme.  It doesn't help that "Häxprocess" drones on at the end before it......

The end of "Häxprocess" is one of my favorite parts of the whole album. It's one of those stretches that separates Opeth from some of my other favorite metal bands, like Amorphis and Dream Theater.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline faemir

« Reply #2618 on: October 02, 2011, 10:18:07 AM »
Yeah i want growly death Opeth back, sorry Mikael.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #2619 on: October 02, 2011, 10:27:25 AM »

Can't say I don't want the same. It's just too sexy. But that's not to say that the softer, more experimental/jazzy style isn't. I hope the band finds a happy medium and this phase of not doing any growls, even in concert, is apart of a larger phase; because while I still dig the new style very much so, it'd be a shame to leave behind their back catalog altogether. But hey, age is a bitch and if he can't growl all that well anymore or it doesn't sound the way he wants it to sound then that's his descision and I'm inclined to agree if that's the reason. I'd rather have him not go back to it at all than have him drag himself across the floor for fans when his voice isn't up to par. We'll see... I hope we hear that lovely gurgle again.

RIP DTP.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2620 on: October 02, 2011, 03:38:14 PM »
I actually enjoy this album quite a bit more than I thought I would.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #2621 on: October 02, 2011, 04:05:14 PM »

Can't say I don't want the same. It's just too sexy. But that's not to say that the softer, more experimental/jazzy style isn't. I hope the band finds a happy medium and this phase of not doing any growls, even in concert, is apart of a larger phase; because while I still dig the new style very much so, it'd be a shame to leave behind their back catalog altogether. But hey, age is a bitch and if he can't growl all that well anymore or it doesn't sound the way he wants it to sound then that's his descision and I'm inclined to agree if that's the reason. I'd rather have him not go back to it at all than have him drag himself across the floor for fans when his voice isn't up to par. We'll see... I hope we hear that lovely gurgle again.

I somewhat agree. I know I'm gonna get crucified for this but I'd be fine with Mike handling clean vox and having someone whom is capable of getting close to his growling intensity/style handle the roaring. Better yet, make sure that dude can sing and play simultaneoudly and then it'll help them get much closer to faithfully reproducing all the parts of their songs that involve 3+ guitar parts.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #2622 on: October 02, 2011, 04:27:05 PM »

I somewhat agree. I know I'm gonna get crucified for this but I'd be fine with Mike handling clean vox and having someone whom is capable of getting close to his growling intensity/style handle the roaring. Better yet, make sure that dude can sing and play simultaneoudly and then it'll help them get much closer to faithfully reproducing all the parts of their songs that involve 3+ guitar parts.
If that were the case, as long as he got someone up to the task, I don't see anyone but butt hurt fans getting mad at something like that.

Offline faemir

« Reply #2623 on: October 02, 2011, 04:28:53 PM »
He can do growls fine still apparently.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2624 on: October 02, 2011, 04:31:06 PM »
Everyone shut the fuck up
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?