Author Topic: The Official Opeth Thread: New Album now streaming  (Read 352427 times)

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
Re: The Official Opeth Thread: New Album now streaming
« Reply #2765 on: October 26, 2011, 11:17:40 AM »
Folkloreeee
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2766 on: October 26, 2011, 11:54:18 AM »
Folklore is great, but I don't care much for the ending.. I find it a bit cheesy somehow.
It's a great song, but yeah.. ending drags it down a bit for me.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2767 on: October 26, 2011, 11:56:13 AM »
yeah it tastes like sharp cheddar man
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2768 on: October 26, 2011, 03:45:10 PM »
Worst song on Heritage: Nepenthe
Best song on Heritage: Folklore
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #2769 on: October 26, 2011, 04:19:58 PM »
Nepenthe is one of the best songs on the album thank you very much!

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2770 on: October 26, 2011, 04:35:53 PM »

GOD DAMMIT GADOUGH

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #2771 on: October 26, 2011, 07:21:59 PM »
Agreed.

Folklore is awesome. Nepenthe just... doesn't work.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #2772 on: October 26, 2011, 07:32:46 PM »

GOD DAMMIT GADOUGH
I'm with Gadough on this one. Nepenthe is cool I guess, but it's definitely my least favourite.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2773 on: October 26, 2011, 07:47:22 PM »
After listening to Heritage again I concluded there is certainly a problem of me with it. The album is good. I'll take the Prog Death Metal Opeth everyday, but this is without a doubt an amazing album. My favorite songs of this are Folklore (A fan favorite in here it seems), and Marrow of the Earth (Haters gonna hate).

But I just don't feel this is an album I can listen to occasionally. I don't listen to it often. In fact this might be the third to fifth time I listen to any song of the album or the album at all. When I think "Hey, I want to hear some Opeth right now!" I do not think about hearing Heritage, something that Does happen with Watershed, Damnation or BWP. I don't know if I am explaining myself well.

I might get a shitstorm because Heritage seems to be a lot appreciated in here. I do like it, but there's just something that... Prevents me, from hearing it often.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #2774 on: October 26, 2011, 10:16:17 PM »
After listening to Heritage again I concluded there is certainly a problem of me with it. The album is good. I'll take the Prog Death Metal Opeth everyday, but this is without a doubt an amazing album. My favorite songs of this are Folklore (A fan favorite in here it seems), and Marrow of the Earth (Haters gonna hate).

But I just don't feel this is an album I can listen to occasionally. I don't listen to it often. In fact this might be the third to fifth time I listen to any song of the album or the album at all. When I think "Hey, I want to hear some Opeth right now!" I do not think about hearing Heritage, something that Does happen with Watershed, Damnation or BWP. I don't know if I am explaining myself well.

I might get a shitstorm because Heritage seems to be a lot appreciated in here. I do like it, but there's just something that... Prevents me, from hearing it often.

This completely. It's such a weird album and I'm still having trouble wrapping my head around it....but it is good. I find Nepenthe to be quite relaxing.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #2775 on: October 26, 2011, 11:21:00 PM »
I hated Heritage throughout my first few listens but it's slowly becoming enjoyable for me. I'd be okay with Opeth trying an even portioning of these three styles on their next album or two:

1) Classic prog-death style that has become their signature style

2) Delicate ballads in their classic style such as To Bid You Farewell, Face of Melinda, Patterns in the Ivy, and Hours of Wealth

3) Newer, hard-to-immediately-get-into stuff that keeps Mikael from getting bored
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2776 on: October 26, 2011, 11:39:30 PM »
Nepenthe is awesome.

If I had to pick a least favorite (and this is damn hard), I would probably say Slither or Marrow of the Earth, but I still love them.

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #2777 on: October 27, 2011, 12:07:40 AM »
I think I've listened to the album enough to rank it now:

1) Folklore
2) The Devil's Orchard
3) I Feel the Dark
4) Haxprocess
5) Slither
6) Nepenthe
7) Lines in My Hand
8) Famine
9) Heritage
10) Marrow of the Earth

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #2778 on: October 27, 2011, 01:04:21 AM »
Nepenthe and Haxprocess are probably my least favourite two so far. Need to listen to the album way more though.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #2779 on: October 27, 2011, 02:47:53 AM »
Courtesy of Anvar and Dusk over at opethforum.com:

Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2780 on: October 27, 2011, 05:01:41 AM »
:lol
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #2781 on: October 27, 2011, 10:32:15 AM »
Holy shit that picture of Mikael I just squirted all over my walls
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2782 on: October 27, 2011, 10:34:40 AM »
Looks like an amazing collection. I'll be the first to get my hands on a copy.

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #2783 on: October 27, 2011, 03:05:21 PM »
Been listening to this album alot, it really is awesome.
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #2784 on: October 27, 2011, 11:44:51 PM »
Looks like an amazing collection. I'll be the first to get my hands on a copy.

My vagina already has a copy.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline jcmistat

« Reply #2785 on: October 28, 2011, 01:34:54 AM »
I'm new to Opeth just started listening this week and I'm going through their albums backwards starting with Heritage. I've finished down to Blackwater Park so far. I've enjoyed all the songs but of course after only one listens I can't really remember or distinguish much yet. I can't wait to really delve in and get into the lyrics. I usually use songmeanings.net for that. Is there a better website? I feel potential for this band to be really high, nothing will surpass DT though!

What is everyone's favorite Opeth albums and songs? Is there a general consensus on those like a ranking? 

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2786 on: October 28, 2011, 01:40:12 AM »
I'm new to Opeth just started listening this week and I'm going through their albums backwards starting with Heritage. I've finished down to Blackwater Park so far. I've enjoyed all the songs but of course after only one listens I can't really remember or distinguish much yet. I can't wait to really delve in and get into the lyrics. I usually use songmeanings.net for that. Is there a better website? I feel potential for this band to be really high, nothing will surpass DT though!

What is everyone's favorite Opeth albums and songs? Is there a general consensus on those like a ranking?

Isn't that a bit negative to say?
I mean, if I would reason that way myself, I might as well stop looking for music, because I already have decided that something can't be topped anyway. :P
Personally my approach to music is that I haven't found my favorite band yet, even though I have a current favorite, it can always be topped. ;)

As for the last part, my personal favorites by Opeth...
Albums: Ghost Reveries, Deliverance and Still Life (Blackwater Park not far behind)
Songs: Deliverance, Blackwater Park, The Baying of the Hounds, The Moor, The Night and the Silent Water, A Fair Judgement and Isolation Years, to name a few.

Offline jcmistat

« Reply #2787 on: October 28, 2011, 02:23:00 AM »
I don't see it as a negative at all. In fact I think its the opposite and normal.

Although I've cemented that DT is my all time favorite that doesn't make me not want to stop looking for new music. Though I look for new music doesn't mean that DT can be topped either. Can't explain it but its perfect for me.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #2788 on: October 28, 2011, 05:07:10 AM »
Favorites:

- Blackwater Park - perfect growl/clean combination, 100% excelent songs.
- Watershed - A little softer (though you wouldn't say that listening to Heir Apparent) and very dark
- Damnation / Heritage - Perfect to get started if you don't particularly like growling (there's none on either album). Both have more of a classic prog feel to them, although I'd say Heritage is more jazzy while Damnation is a bit more mellow.
- Still Life / Ghost Reveries - Similar to Blackwater Park in the growling/clean balance and heaviness. Excellent high points but slightly less consistent than Blackwater Park for me.

Songs:
- The Metal (w/growls): The Moor, Bleak, Blackwater Park, Deliverance, Ghost of Perdition, Heir Apparent, Hessian Peel
- The Proggy: End Credits, Windowpane, Devil's Orchard, Folklore, Slither
- The Ballads: Face of Melinda, Patterns in the Ivy, Hours of Wealth, Coil, Burden

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #2789 on: October 28, 2011, 11:24:02 AM »

The most critically acclaimed Opeth album is probably Blackwater Park. Inside the metal and Opeth community, Still Life is probably the most adored.

Regarding Dream Theater vs. Opeth: To me, Opeth are superior, which is saying something, because Dream Theater are one of my ten favorite bands. The thing about Dream Theater is that the only time I listen to them is when I want to listen to Dream Theater. They have such a distinct sound that I have to be in the mood for most of their songs. Opeth, conversely, also have a very distinct sound, but cover so much ground with their music that I frequently find myself listening to them even when I didn't intend to.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #2790 on: October 28, 2011, 01:02:48 PM »
Chicago show tonight!!! Excited.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #2791 on: October 28, 2011, 07:36:01 PM »
God, what a great show last night.

First off, going to a concert by yourself sucks. My friends suck. But anyways...

Both Katatonia and Opeth were fantastic. So fantastic that even songs I wasn't too keen on were immensely enjoyable and I'm now reconsidering my stances on them.  Setlist spoilers below:

Katatonia played Chrome! Zomgwtfbbq great song. Wished they would've played Teargas too. All the NITND songs they played had so much more energy than the album versions. Really made me appreciate those songs a lot more.

Opeth opening with The Devil's Orchard was great. So much heavier. All the songs were awesome, except The Throat of Winter which was merely 'pretty good.'  Closing with Folklore was perfect. What a fucking song. Perfect encore material.

Mikael was in top form. Talking about obscure 70's prog acts, shitty 80's hair metal, and Jeffrey Dahmer = me rubbing myself in an obscene manner.

Yeah, I wish they would've played more classics, but afterwards, I didn't give a fuck. Some people were shouting out 'Play Blackwater Park/Black Rose Immortal!' but the band seemed used to it. I kinda wanted to shout out 'Play Aqualung!' or 'Play Thick as a Brick!' but I didn't want to be a douchnozzle.

Top Albums:
Still Life, Ghost Reveries, Watershed

Top Songs:
The Moor, The Lotus Eaters, Folklore, The Grand Conjuration, Face of Melinda, Deliverance

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #2792 on: October 28, 2011, 07:50:02 PM »

The most critically acclaimed Opeth album is probably Blackwater Park. Inside the metal and Opeth community, Still Life is probably the most adored.

Regarding Dream Theater vs. Opeth: To me, Opeth are superior, which is saying something, because Dream Theater are one of my ten favorite bands. The thing about Dream Theater is that the only time I listen to them is when I want to listen to Dream Theater. They have such a distinct sound that I have to be in the mood for most of their songs. Opeth, conversely, also have a very distinct sound, but cover so much ground with their music that I frequently find myself listening to them even when I didn't intend to.
Interesting. Opeth and DT are pretty much a tie for my second favourite band, but I find my listening habits the opposite to yours :)

• DT.net Member
« Reply #2793 on: October 28, 2011, 09:51:58 PM »

« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 12:15:42 AM by black_floyd »

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #2794 on: October 29, 2011, 01:42:02 AM »
Those 2 are funny but can't beat this (made by Lager on the Opeth forum)

This gif is pretty funny too:

Offline ThroughHerEyesDude6

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #2795 on: October 29, 2011, 04:13:35 AM »
Just saw Opeth in Chicago. Great show. Will post pick soon.

Offline EdenHazard

• INVENTORY!
« Reply #2796 on: October 29, 2011, 05:58:48 AM »
Ahh, the album finally clicked for me! :) I'm pretty sure it will we never be close to my favourite CDs of Opeth and I won't listen to it as heavily as I did to Opeth usually, but I'm enjoying it thoroughly. Going to see them live on December 2th in Berlin with Pain of Salvation - this is gonna be fun :)

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #2797 on: October 29, 2011, 09:36:18 AM »
It got really cold last night and today (it was literally freezing at our homecoming game last night) so I put on Still Life. Pretty sure it's my favorite album by Opeth, not completely certain though.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2798 on: October 29, 2011, 10:53:19 AM »
I can't wait to really delve in and get into the lyrics. I usually use songmeanings.net for that. Is there a better website?

Songmeanings.net is probably the best site for such a thing. Some people's dissections of songs are beyond ridiculous (that goes for any artist, not just Opeth), but there are also some really good ones. You just have to pick which meaning you like the best.

Still Life and My Arms, Your Hearse are my 2 favorites. Blackwater Park is probably their most revered, though. As for rankings, most fans' lists are pretty varied, from what I've seen.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2799 on: October 29, 2011, 11:29:00 AM »
Nardwuar interviews Opeth in Vancouver, BC, Canada.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3L-lcW4-TM'

Hilarious ending btw :lol
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 11:37:24 AM by Zydar »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.