Author Topic: The Official Opeth Thread: New Album now streaming  (Read 352401 times)

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Opeth Thread: New Album now streaming
« Reply #2660 on: October 03, 2011, 03:17:13 PM »
RYAN MAD!

RYAN SMASH!

No but seriously, that's fucking bullshit. I would have demanded my money back at this point.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2661 on: October 03, 2011, 03:35:06 PM »
I'm emailing a guy from roadrunner right now. He says "It is in transit according to USPS." But when I asked him for the tracking number he said "There is no tracking on first class mail, sorry man. that would make my life alot easier too :)"

the fuck is this shit
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #2662 on: October 03, 2011, 07:42:13 PM »
I STILL HAVE NOT GOTTEN HERITAGE

RAGE... RAGE EVERYWHERE

WTF

Just sent them an email: "I still have not received my copy of Heritage. I'll be calling my bank tomorrow if I don't get it."

I just for mine on Saturday through bestbuy.com. I placed my order on the 16th so I was very pissed to say the least. To put icing on the cake my passcode for the mp3 downloads doesn't work and nor does loading the DVD. I want my bonus tracks dammit!

Ok so far I've listened to it 3 times and I have mixed feelings about it. I like it and I hate it. It sounds nothing like Opeth yet it sounds like Opeth. I love and hate the jazz. I think need to listen to it a few more times so I'll either love it, or go completely mad.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2663 on: October 04, 2011, 12:20:46 PM »
I don't see anything on the new album that isn't Opeth. Yeah it sounds like 70s prog rock but it's still inherently Opeth.
I'm not denying that. But I just feel the "aura" of "we wanted to make a '70s album" too much. With every previous album, it was just Opeth recording their new album. With Heritage they gave it an unnecessary label.

And there, in a nutshell, is why Heritage doesn't work for me. It's "Opeth does a 70s prog album", not "a progressive rock Opeth album." The two are different things entirely.
Apart from the production style, nothing on the album sounds 70s to me. I'd like someone to find me a 70s album that sounds ANYTHING like that. :lol

I wonder if Mikael had never said anything about the 70s influence and merely mentioned the lack of growls (to manage expectations) whether people would feel so strongly that way. Obviously the influence is hardly subtle in the way the drums and guitar in particular sound, but I think if it was less expected people would probably find the idea more exciting.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2664 on: October 04, 2011, 04:41:55 PM »
So yeah Orchid is still a good album.  Gave it a rare spin last night.  I rarely feel like it since most of Opeth's catalog overshadows it, but its better than Morningrise and Damnation and deserves a couple of listens every now and then. :metal

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #2665 on: October 04, 2011, 05:55:32 PM »
I don't see anything on the new album that isn't Opeth. Yeah it sounds like 70s prog rock but it's still inherently Opeth.
I'm not denying that. But I just feel the "aura" of "we wanted to make a '70s album" too much. With every previous album, it was just Opeth recording their new album. With Heritage they gave it an unnecessary label.

And there, in a nutshell, is why Heritage doesn't work for me. It's "Opeth does a 70s prog album", not "a progressive rock Opeth album." The two are different things entirely.
Apart from the production style, nothing on the album sounds 70s to me. I'd like someone to find me a 70s album that sounds ANYTHING like that. :lol

I wonder if Mikael had never said anything about the 70s influence and merely mentioned the lack of growls (to manage expectations) whether people would feel so strongly that way. Obviously the influence is hardly subtle in the way the drums and guitar in particular sound, but I think if it was less expected people would probably find the idea more exciting.

Exactly,It justs sounds like a mellow Opeth album with some jazzy/proggy elements. If there were Rick Wakeman solos all over the place then I'd understand.
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2666 on: October 05, 2011, 12:04:47 PM »
After all that bullshit with Roadrunner, I just got refunded for Heritage because I still haven't gotten it. Going to pick it up from Best Buy today.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #2667 on: October 05, 2011, 12:09:35 PM »
Whilst I still like it a lot, Heritage has grown on me the least out of any Opeth album after my first listen.

Offline alirocker08

• Apparently not a hobbit
  • 'Sup, I'm a very short elf
« Reply #2668 on: October 05, 2011, 01:10:40 PM »
So, any of you guys planning on seeing Opeth at Manchester in November? Me, Jon, and two of my friends are going down straight after school then staying overnight.

Jon is being classed as the responsible adult because he's over eighteen.

Hilarity ensues.
ITT: We discover that Alice is elvish...
Psshh, your status as a hobbit has just been a cover. Your cover has been blown.

Offline Liberation

« Reply #2669 on: October 05, 2011, 01:15:47 PM »

He definitely mentioned that before the album release many times, and he wasn't exactly subtle in saying how superior the '70s are to anything else according to him recently.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2670 on: October 05, 2011, 01:53:51 PM »
Yeah he talked about it loads, I meant IF he hadn't done so, would people have reacted so strongly? I don't really know but it's food for thought.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Liberation

« Reply #2671 on: October 05, 2011, 02:01:29 PM »
Possibly not, like I said it's the label he gave the album himself that bothered me quite a bit.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2672 on: October 05, 2011, 02:07:58 PM »
Yeah exactly, I think he shot himself in the foot a bit and ended up putting some people off who may have liked the album more otherwise. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #2673 on: October 05, 2011, 02:13:13 PM »
Yeah Mikael Akerfeldt also doesn't like By the Pain I See in Others so that means I have to be more critical towards it yeah makes total sense.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2674 on: October 05, 2011, 02:14:42 PM »
He also doesn't like a lot of the stuff on Morningrise, that's the only reason I hate it.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Liberation

« Reply #2675 on: October 05, 2011, 02:15:51 PM »
You guys totally fucking understood my point.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2676 on: October 05, 2011, 02:30:01 PM »
I got it, I'm just trollin' Lat.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #2677 on: October 05, 2011, 02:32:54 PM »
You guys totally fucking understood my point.
Pleasure my phallus
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Liberation

« Reply #2678 on: October 05, 2011, 02:35:36 PM »
I got it, I'm just trollin' Lat.
Ok. :P

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2679 on: October 05, 2011, 02:39:38 PM »
Yeah he talked about it loads, I meant IF he hadn't done so, would people have reacted so strongly? I don't really know but it's food for thought.

I think I mentioned this before, but I honestly believe that if he hadn't done so, people would not have reacted so strongly to it, the same way that if Mike Portnoy never proclaimed his dissatisfaction with Falling into Infinity, the album's overall status would not be as bad.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2680 on: October 05, 2011, 03:15:55 PM »
Listened to Heritage today, and I found a legitimate problem with it: the heavy parts do NOT sound heavy.  Live, I Feel the Dark, Slither, and the Devil's Orchard were fucking heavy.  Listening to the album today it all felt a bit too tame.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2681 on: October 05, 2011, 04:20:13 PM »
Listened to Heritage today, and I found a legitimate problem with it: the heavy parts do NOT sound heavy.  Live, I Feel the Dark, Slither, and the Devil's Orchard were fucking heavy.  Listening to the album today it all felt a bit too tame.
Yeah that's the thing with the production style. No 70s albums really sound very heavy, but every account I've read or heard of gigs at the time tell me that the sound live was huge.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #2682 on: October 05, 2011, 04:22:53 PM »
Black Sabbath is heavy as fuck, and they were early 70s.
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2683 on: October 05, 2011, 04:23:51 PM »
Yeah the music is but the sound isn't heavy whatsoever. That's exactly my point.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #2684 on: October 05, 2011, 04:25:18 PM »
God damn it, that made me want to see them live oh so terribly (more so); I think some parts (very few) of Heritage feel very heavy. Especially the 'mother of lies' section in I Feel The Dark. With that said, I can see how it would sound so much heavier live, and that makes my shorts a bit snug. I really love the album, but I can't say I wouldn't love it if there were a few more heavier parts. Gr...I must find a way to see them!!

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #2685 on: October 05, 2011, 04:47:35 PM »
Yeah the music is but the sound isn't heavy whatsoever. That's exactly my point.
Well, I guess that's subjective. Those early songs (War Pigs, Black Sabbath, NIB) definitely had a sonically heavy sound (to me at least).
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline crawl_away

« Reply #2686 on: October 05, 2011, 11:40:38 PM »
I guess I will add in my two cents regarding Heritage.

I must say this album turned out to be somewhat of a dissapointment for me.

Beyond all the bickering about a change of sound and the loss of Opeth's signature Progressive Death Metal style, I feel that the songs just aren't there on Heritage.

I also find that the album doesn't flow very well. I'm not really sure how this could have been avoided. I don't think the instrumental tracks work particularly well as bookmarks to the other songs. Folklore has such a monster ending, perhaps it would have been a better way to end the album.

Has anyone else noticed how cold and inhuman this album sounds? I think that's quite interesting considering Mikael talked about using less editing, less guitar distortion and less instrument processing to create a more human sounding record.
The irony is that Heritage is in my opinion the coldests and most inhuman sounding record that Opeth have released.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #2687 on: October 06, 2011, 07:11:20 AM »
I think Heritage sounds warm and earthy, but whatever.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2688 on: October 06, 2011, 07:13:52 AM »
Yeah, it definitely sounds earthy, like Watershed and Ghost Reveries

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #2689 on: October 06, 2011, 07:14:52 AM »
I think Heritage sounds warm and earthy, but whatever.
Agreed, there's nothing cold about it. Especially the guitars seems sometimes lush and sometimes edgy. I love the variation and experimentation. Big difference from before where Opeth basically had three guitar sounds - overdrive, clean and acoustic.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Reply #2690 on: October 06, 2011, 10:35:59 PM »
I've been listening to more Opeth frequently.  Listening to Live at the Royal Albert Hall album right now.  :metal

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2691 on: October 06, 2011, 11:18:24 PM »
Has anyone else noticed how cold and inhuman this album sounds? I think that's quite interesting considering Mikael talked about using less editing, less guitar distortion and less instrument processing to create a more human sounding record.
The irony is that Heritage is in my opinion the coldests and most inhuman sounding record that Opeth have released.
ever listened to Deliverance?

i find Heritage very warm indeed. a bit stark, compared to the more layered guitar sound they usually have, but full-bodied. even the drums are comfortable temperatures!

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!
« Reply #2692 on: October 07, 2011, 08:05:01 AM »
Whoa whoa whoa

Wait a minute.

When did Charlie Day start playing bass for Opeth?!?!

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2693 on: October 07, 2011, 08:57:27 AM »
Haha. :lol That was in the Watershed era. I'm pretty sure he's grown his hair back out. Thank God. You can't no-no headbang without that gorgeous flowing hair of his.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!
« Reply #2694 on: October 07, 2011, 09:07:16 AM »
Yeah... his hair is definitely long again (just saw them live a couple of weeks ago).  It's an older pic, but I wasn't made aware of the resemblance until recently...