Author Topic: The Official Opeth Thread: New Album now streaming  (Read 352338 times)

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Re: The Official Opeth Thread: New Album now streaming
« Reply #2625 on: October 02, 2011, 04:39:47 PM »
Everyone shut the fuck up

Step off lettuce.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #2626 on: October 02, 2011, 04:41:18 PM »
He can do growls fine still apparently.

Link a recent clip to back this up. Ever since Watershed his actual voice has been showing through the growls more and more and I don't think he's doing that intentionally.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Nighthawkwill7

• Purveyor of All Things Laser-Guided
« Reply #2627 on: October 02, 2011, 05:06:27 PM »
I just finished watching the "making of" DVD and in it, Akerfeldt says he still loves the growls and how they will still figure in the future of Opeth, but he simply felt that they didn't have a place on Heritage and they musical direction they were taking on this record.

Mikael even mentioned his excitement as to the possibilities of what the eleventh album will sound like and how he has never felt that way before.

:metal

Offline Liberation

« Reply #2628 on: October 02, 2011, 05:27:00 PM »
I'd be ok if they decided to abandon death metal and growls if they no longer feel like recording new stuff in that direction, but I just have two important issues:
1) I really dislike it when he obviously says that the album is inspired by this or that (meaning the '70s in case of Heritage), that really gives me the feeling the album is "Opeth recording an album which sounds like...", and not "Opeth recording a new Opeth album".
2) Still play the older heavy songs. Maybe less, but still. On this year's festivals the setlists were mostly heavy, so you won't convince me they no longer like playing those.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2629 on: October 02, 2011, 05:35:08 PM »
I don't see anything on the new album that isn't Opeth. Yeah it sounds like 70s prog rock but it's still inherently Opeth.

Offline Nighthawkwill7

« Reply #2630 on: October 02, 2011, 05:39:15 PM »
I don't see anything on the new album that isn't Opeth. Yeah it sounds like 70s prog rock but it's still inherently Opeth.

I was just about to mention the same thing as well.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #2631 on: October 02, 2011, 06:08:47 PM »
inb4 debates
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #2632 on: October 02, 2011, 06:12:35 PM »
I agree that Heritage still sounds like Opeth.

Also, the weather has gotten cold here and Fall is setting in, so I'm definitely enjoying Opeth (and Heritage) even more now. I love how the atmosphere of most of their songs and albums just suits Fall and Winter so well.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #2633 on: October 02, 2011, 06:15:34 PM »
Can we talk about things that aren't the same 4 discussions about Heritage? Is that possible?
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #2634 on: October 02, 2011, 06:21:26 PM »
Mikael even mentioned his excitement as to the possibilities of what the eleventh album will sound like and how he has never felt that way before.
This scares the fuck out of me.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2635 on: October 02, 2011, 06:21:56 PM »
Let's talk about how miserably the people who don't like Orchid and/or Morningrise fail.

Offline Liberation

« Reply #2636 on: October 02, 2011, 06:37:44 PM »
I'm not denying that. But I just feel the "aura" of "we wanted to make a '70s album" too much. With every previous album, it was just Opeth recording their new album. With Heritage they gave it an unnecessary label.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2637 on: October 02, 2011, 06:39:20 PM »
I really don't even think it sounds that much like anything from the 70's.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2638 on: October 02, 2011, 06:41:38 PM »
Ok, so after spending some time with this album this weekend, I like it.

I don't *love* it. But I don't *hate* it either. It's OK. They're doing some cool things here, but like others have said everything feels like it stretches on just a little bit too long. It doesn't help that Grace for Drowning is so much better than this album in every way.  :biggrin:

Offline Nighthawkwill7

« Reply #2639 on: October 02, 2011, 06:57:04 PM »
This scares the fuck out of me.

How so? If he is this enthusiastic, It could lead to him writing a masterpiece of hithero unknown grandure and I am all for that.

Offline Liberation

« Reply #2640 on: October 02, 2011, 07:03:19 PM »
And what did I write? :p

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2641 on: October 02, 2011, 07:12:38 PM »
And what did I write? :p

Yeah it sounds like 70s prog rock but it's still inherently Opeth.
I'm not denying that. But I just feel the "aura" of "we wanted to make a '70s album" too much.
It sure seems like you were saying it sounds like something from the 70s to me.

But I was talking to everyone in the thread, not just you. Otherwise I would have quoted you.
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2642 on: October 02, 2011, 07:23:47 PM »
The only thing that sounds 70s is that terrible flute solo.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2643 on: October 02, 2011, 07:24:37 PM »
WAT

I love the use of flute on that song.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2644 on: October 02, 2011, 07:27:05 PM »
WAT

I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Liberation

« Reply #2645 on: October 02, 2011, 07:32:01 PM »
It sure seems like you were saying it sounds like something from the 70s to me.

But I was talking to everyone in the thread, not just you. Otherwise I would have quoted you.
What I meant is doesn't really matter how it sounds (as you can't measure that or anything) but imo Mikael completely unnecessarily made it sound like the album is "Opeth playing the '70s" and I dislike that.

Also, I often don't quote if I answer a post right above mine, it seems a bit redundant, and it sounded like referring to me... But never mind.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2646 on: October 02, 2011, 07:33:16 PM »
WAT

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2648 on: October 02, 2011, 08:15:47 PM »
I hate flutes. Sorry.

Offline RandalGraves

« Reply #2649 on: October 02, 2011, 08:17:13 PM »
Had the pleasure of seeing Opeth yesterday at the House of Blues in Orlando.  Was a fantastic show!  I've grown to really love Heritage, and call the album one of their best, so perhaps I'm a little biased.  Some of the fans were obnoxious, yelling for more "death metal" and moshing during moments that didn't really call for it.

There was an incident during A Fair Judgment, the soft piano moment right before that soul-crushing outro riff comes in, that some people were trying to get the mosh started and some other guy was yelling at them to "cool it."  So these folks were yelling back and forth while Mikael is trying to sing nice and mellow.  In the song, Mikael sings the word "heeeeeeeeeeeere" before the riff begins.  But during the show, he sang, "whatthefuckisgoingondowntheeeeeerreeeeee?"  It cracked the audience up and relieved the tension immediately.  It was a great live moment.

He also did bring up the moment he laughed during Hex Omega, and couldn't sing.  No problems this night though.

I really do hope there's a live release of this material down the road.  The album sounds fine for the most part, but it's missing that extra bite that I got out of the live presentation.  Songs like Devil's Orchard, Slither and Folklore rocked so much harder.  The minor extended soloing during the outro of Folklore was icing on the cake.  I've seen Opeth 4 times (including last night), but I think this has been my favorite show so far, despite the somewhat unruly audience members.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #2650 on: October 02, 2011, 08:42:35 PM »
WAT

As for someone else doing growls, or anyone else even attempting to step up to the plate... Color my asshole red cause I'd be so fucking butthurt over that. Like a horse-cock with no lube. He's the sole reason I got into Opeth, so it may be different for me personally but I just don't see Opeth as Opeth without Akerfeldt. I mean, the word 'mad' doesn't fit, because it isn't as if I'd shun the band, but it would be very, very difficult for me to accept someone else taking the lead, even temporarily. They'd have to go through a gang-initiated ritual that includes much bloodshed and many animal carcases. Perhaps boiling wax. Either way, I don't like the idea.

Truly, Akerfeldt and Labrie are two men who've changed my life; and as cheesy and bullshit-filled as it may sound, I really mean it. To see either take a step back in any direction would be a let down to me; I can't say the same for any other band (I lied, Porcupine Tree. Kdone). Admitting that makes me shrink a bit but hell if it isn't true. But hey, I am happy as long as he is inspired and having fun; such a mindset usually produces the most enjoyable music whatever the genre may be. To hear he can still do growls though makes me oh so giddy, I confess. I am a man torn in two, but whichever way it goes I can't imagine not enjoying Opeth's music entirely.

@Randal: That is so good to hear, I'd really love to see them this tour but I don't see it happening. I've seen Opeth twice and both times were absolutely perfect; my favorite performances. Alright, I'm beginning to disgust even myself with this ass-kissing. I'm gonna go brush my teeth, my lips are brown.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #2651 on: October 02, 2011, 08:51:39 PM »
Let's talk about how miserably the people who don't like Orchid and/or Morningrise fail.
:metal

Also off topic, I burnt my girlfriend a copy of Heritage and she said she really likes it so far!  :heart

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #2652 on: October 02, 2011, 09:00:02 PM »
I'm not denying that. But I just feel the "aura" of "we wanted to make a '70s album" too much. With every previous album, it was just Opeth recording their new album. With Heritage they gave it an unnecessary label.

And there, in a nutshell, is why Heritage doesn't work for me. It's "Opeth does a 70s prog album", not "a progressive rock Opeth album." The two are different things entirely.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline ThroughHerEyesDude6

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #2653 on: October 03, 2011, 04:12:47 AM »
I sure hope no assholes come to the Opeth show I'm attending and fuck it up. Otherwise two things might happen:

1. I take a random girl from the audience, drag her in front of the asshole, and strangle her to death. Once I'm done, I look at the asshole, point at them and say, 'This is all your fault', and walk away.

2. I complain about it on the internet.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #2654 on: October 03, 2011, 10:39:34 AM »

And there, in a nutshell, is why Heritage doesn't work for me. It's "Opeth does a 70s prog album", not "a progressive rock Opeth album." The two are different things entirely.

I feel like if Opeth never gave the album that label, no one would care this much about it.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2655 on: October 03, 2011, 12:45:54 PM »
Not a day has gone by that I haven't remembered how heavy the ending of "A Fair Judgment" was live.   :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2656 on: October 03, 2011, 12:53:47 PM »
I STILL HAVE NOT GOTTEN HERITAGE

RAGE... RAGE EVERYWHERE
I AM A GUY

Offline Liberation

« Reply #2657 on: October 03, 2011, 01:40:54 PM »

I feel like if Opeth never gave the album that label, no one would care this much about it.
Yep, that's kinda what I mean. It's not as obvious influence as Pain of Salvation with Road Salt, when I first heard The Devil's Orchard my first thought was "the quiet part reminds me of Ghost Reveries".

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2658 on: October 03, 2011, 02:52:53 PM »

RAGE... RAGE EVERYWHERE

WTF

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2659 on: October 03, 2011, 03:07:02 PM »

RAGE... RAGE EVERYWHERE

WTF

Just sent them an email: "I still have not received my copy of Heritage. I'll be calling my bank tomorrow if I don't get it."
I AM A GUY