Author Topic: The Official Opeth Thread: New Album now streaming  (Read 352417 times)

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Re: The Official Opeth Thread: New Album now streaming
« Reply #2555 on: September 30, 2011, 01:46:21 AM »
I don't know quite if this is the case, but sometimes I get the feeling that maybe some fans are a bit like this:
They start off with a fairly new album, could be the latest or could be 3-4 albums back, but still a fairly modern album.
They start checking out the albums being close in the disco, I can imagine people starting with Heritage to work themselves back one album at the time, and people that starts with BWP probably checks the albums that has come out after.
Eventually there's the first 4 albums left, and I can imagine a lot of people checking out Still Life and MAYH because a lot of people here really praise them, so a bit of curiosity is not that surprising.
But then we get to Morningrise and Orchid, and as much as I like them, they have been in an uphill battle here on DTF since like forever, and I can imagine people maybe not check them out so much, just because they don't "need" it, or something.
They still have 7-8 other Opeth albums perhaps, and maybe they don't think it's worth shattering the image of Opeth as being very high quality and solid, by listening to an album that a lot of people diss. :P

Again, this is just hypothetical.
Another example we could do is Porcupine Tree, where most people start with probably In Absentia, Deadwing, LBS or maybe Stupid Dream.
When they get to know the discography post-Signify, I think there are quite a few who don't work their way back more, and it really shows in survivors and such.

For me, both with PT and Opeth, it's been mostly like that. Getting into these bands that have 8+ albums takes some time, I personally like to get into a maximum of 3-4 albums at a time and I usually don't consider it "assimilated" until I know it pretty well - for me that means knowing most songs by name, being able to identify a song when hearing it, being able to remember most of a song off the top of my head... that takes time, so by the time I've done it with the most recent 5-6 albums I need a change of pace/band and it becomes tiresome to start again with the older stuff, especially when people don't speak as highly of it as with the recent albums.

I'm getting into older PT and I'm loving it now, but I've needed almost two years since my first PT phase in which I got into Signify to FOABP to start this process again. With Opeth, I've gotten into Still Life but considering growls aren't really my thing, I'm sort of content with 5 growling albums and I don't feel the rush to try the first three, though I will do it eventually.

I can definitely understand and respect the points y'all brought up Zantera and Xanthul. Feels good to get this topic of discussion back to a less-heated vibe.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #2556 on: September 30, 2011, 02:25:54 AM »
I stopped at My Arms Your Hearse because I didn't like most of the songs on that (initially, I liked it all, but the more time I spent with it, the less I found much of it very strong) and giving the earlier albums a few sample listens, they didn't seem so good either, so I never really bothered.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #2557 on: September 30, 2011, 05:55:11 AM »
I like all of Opeth's albums, although I think they really started to improve when Martin Lopez joined the band.  Orchid and Morningrise are good albums, don't get me wrong, but the production values were also kind of full.  Then My Arms, Your Hearse sounded so much better and Lopez, man, for a guy who plays a little bit too far in the pocket sometimes, I really always liked his style (even though I like the new guy even better)

I've been on a serious Opeth and Dream Theater kick lately, going through their back catalogs.  I had forgotten how much I really liked those early Opeth albums.

And the new one is brilliant, but I think it's almost like a different band now.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #2558 on: September 30, 2011, 06:18:21 AM »
How can you prefer Axe over Lopez? Lopez is miles ahead.

Offline OskarSluring

« Reply #2559 on: September 30, 2011, 06:25:42 AM »
You keep thinking that, my friend  :tup

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2560 on: September 30, 2011, 06:30:32 AM »

Opinions, how do they work?

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2561 on: September 30, 2011, 08:01:56 AM »
Axe is a fine drummer, but Lopez was so much better.  Understandable why he left though.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #2562 on: September 30, 2011, 08:56:51 AM »
Axe is a fine drummer, but Lopez was so much better.  Understandable why he left though.
This. I can't help but think that Heritage would have been so much better had he been involved.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #2563 on: September 30, 2011, 09:28:22 AM »
T MINUS 7 HOURS

Where's your concert review, incoherent clusterfuck of letters?

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2564 on: September 30, 2011, 09:36:21 AM »
Opeth fucking slayed last night.

It was really odd being there kinda by myself (since DarkEnternalNight had a vip pass and was basically front row during the entire show), but I dealt with it. I talk to a few cool people. There were also a lot of really shitty people there as well. One of the guys in front of me clearly wanted to hear some heavy songs and wanted to mosh or something. (no one else wanted to...) He kept hitting me in the face with his hair as he was headbanging and it was annoying. Also later in the show some drunk guy puked on the floor next to me.

Other than all that bullshit it was a fucking great show.

Highlights of the show: I Feel the Dark, Face of Melinda, A Fair Judgement, Hex Omega, Folklore

EDIT: I also took only like 4 pics, but they're pretty awesome so I'll upload.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2565 on: September 30, 2011, 09:45:00 AM »
Some of them turned out horrible, but whatever.

This one's Katatonia:
I AM A GUY
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #2566 on: September 30, 2011, 09:48:06 AM »
Great, thanks. If I keep reading positive reviews I will probably end up going (alone though, I don't think my wife will enjoy this).

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #2567 on: September 30, 2011, 09:56:49 AM »
Honestly, it seems like the album has gone down better than expected. I know a lot of Opeth fans aren't digging it, but critical reviews have been good and their shows seem to be going really well.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2568 on: September 30, 2011, 10:01:18 AM »
Yeah, I forgot the mention there were A LOT of butthurt metal fans last night, particularly the guy in front of me that kept hitting me in the face with his hair.
I AM A GUY

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #2569 on: September 30, 2011, 10:04:13 AM »
Was it clean and conditioned at least? Maybe he just wanted you to sniff it and give props where props are due.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #2570 on: September 30, 2011, 11:44:49 AM »
I bet it was Troy Polamalu

Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2571 on: September 30, 2011, 11:45:50 AM »
:rollin :rollin
I AM A GUY

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2572 on: September 30, 2011, 01:07:32 PM »
Er, it's just a taste thing, bro.  Lopez, actually, tends to play a little sloppy and behind the click.  I've seen him live a few times and don't get me wrong, I love the guy's style, but the new guy is like a human metronome.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #2573 on: September 30, 2011, 01:11:17 PM »
Er, it's just a taste thing, bro.  Lopez, actually, tends to play a little sloppy and behind the click.  I've seen him live a few times and don't get me wrong, I love the guy's style, but the new guy is like a human metronome.

Boundless energy too.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2574 on: September 30, 2011, 01:12:02 PM »
His drum solo last night was incredible.
I AM A GUY

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #2575 on: September 30, 2011, 01:14:28 PM »

Boundless energy too.
Thats one thing that really made Heritage  click for me.  I was Air Drumming 80% of the time, even while driving.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 01:26:07 PM by Dark Castle »

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2576 on: September 30, 2011, 01:25:00 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CEVePFfvJ0

The Devil's Orchard from last night's show.
I AM A GUY

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2577 on: September 30, 2011, 01:33:17 PM »
The main riff in that song so fucking badass  :metal

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2578 on: September 30, 2011, 01:47:41 PM »

Lol. It's music dude.. It doesn't matter if you're not exactly on the click. In fact, it makes your playing more human. That said, Axe is doing a fantastic job on Heritage. :tup

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #2579 on: September 30, 2011, 02:53:20 PM »
Yeah, last night's concert was perfect.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #2580 on: September 30, 2011, 03:07:03 PM »

Lol. It's music dude.. It doesn't matter if you're not exactly on the click. In fact, it makes your playing more human. That said, Axe is doing a fantastic job on Heritage. :tup

If that's the case then Lars Ulrich should audition for White Zombie cuz he's more human than human.

Offline faemir

« Reply #2581 on: September 30, 2011, 03:15:18 PM »

Sloppy? Since when?

My impression from day 1 is that Lopez was subtle and masterful whilst Axe only has one degree of how hard he can hit the drums. Watershed's drumming? Easily the worst part of the album, give me Ghost Reveries any day, some of the best metal drumming full stop.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #2582 on: September 30, 2011, 03:17:23 PM »

Sloppy? Since when?

My impression from day 1 is that Lopez was subtle and masterful whilst Axe only has one degree of how hard he can hit the drums. Watershed's drumming? Easily the worst part of the album, give me Ghost Reveries any day, some of the best metal drumming full stop.
Watershed's drumming was certainly not the worst part of the album.  Nothing was.

Offline faemir

« Reply #2583 on: September 30, 2011, 03:30:51 PM »

Sloppy? Since when?

Watershed's drumming was certainly not the worst part of the album.  Nothing was.

Care to give an actual comment instead of just circlejerking Watershed?

I haven't even touched the tease that is Porcelain Heart.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #2584 on: September 30, 2011, 03:34:11 PM »

Sloppy? Since when?

Care to give an actual comment instead of just circlejerking Watershed?

I haven't even touched the tease that is Porcelain Heart.
I'm not going to give you a fucking analysis of an album that I really like because you're slating the drumming with out any basis.
And I'm listening to some Cliff Burton clips right now, so bass is just rumbling in my mind right now.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2585 on: September 30, 2011, 04:09:34 PM »
Oh hey, look there are people saying that Axe will never be as good as Lopez.
I must be back in 2007.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #2586 on: September 30, 2011, 04:18:32 PM »
I must be back in 2007.
Thank you.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2587 on: September 30, 2011, 04:20:43 PM »
I must be back in 2007.
Oh hey, look another sarcastic post from Zantera.

I must be in every day of the week.
I AM A GUY

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2588 on: September 30, 2011, 04:22:26 PM »
 :lol

Honestly though, this discussion really takes me back.
I remember when Axe joined, and people bitched so much about how he would never be as kvlt or badass as Lopez, and that he would certainly ruin Opeth.
After that Watershed came out, and now Heritage, and honestly.. I don't think I've heard any people do the drummer-discussion up until the stuff in this thread.  :biggrin:

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #2589 on: September 30, 2011, 04:24:46 PM »
His drum solo last night was incredible.

There's drum solos on this tour? UUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.