Author Topic: The Official Opeth Thread: New Album now streaming  (Read 352460 times)

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
Re: The Official Opeth Thread: New Album now streaming
« Reply #2520 on: September 29, 2011, 11:34:09 AM »
Advent and Black Rose Immortal are stellar Opeth songs.
Yep and yep.
Orchid is the only album that I would say meanders to the point where fans might call it boring.
hatersgonnhate.gif
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 11:40:07 AM by lateralus88 »
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2521 on: September 29, 2011, 11:38:53 AM »
because it's Morningrise.
You are such a man with words, and truly know how to argue a valid point.

>implying I'm being serious in any way whatsoever
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2522 on: September 29, 2011, 11:40:33 AM »
because it's Morningrise.
You are such a man with words, and truly know how to argue a valid point.

>implying I'm being serious in any way whatsoever
>Implying I expect better from you

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #2523 on: September 29, 2011, 11:41:23 AM »
Look what I've done...the cycle of destruction.

It begins anew.  :corn  :metal

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2524 on: September 29, 2011, 11:43:00 AM »
:lol :lol alright you win
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #2525 on: September 29, 2011, 11:44:24 AM »
Orchid is the only album that I would say meanders to the point where fans might call it boring.
hatersgonnhate.gif

I like it, but it's definitely the most convoluted album.

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2526 on: September 29, 2011, 11:45:54 AM »
:lol :lol alright you win
*waves victory flaccid in the sky like the American flag at a fourth of july parade*

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2527 on: September 29, 2011, 02:36:35 PM »
Morningrise has Nectar, which is considered the weakest but my favorite on the album. That alone says something to how consistant Morningrise is.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2528 on: September 29, 2011, 02:59:08 PM »
Morningrise is probably the Opeth album I have listened to the least.
But with that said, I do like the album, and when I think about it, I should probably listen to it soon again. :)

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #2529 on: September 29, 2011, 03:02:14 PM »
I wish folks were more open-minded to the first two albums. They have far more in common with the more-liked Opeth albums than Watershed and Heritage but it seems far more folks wanna insist on being patient with the last two releases so they can warm up to them but seem to think a couple listens are all the first two albums deserve. Seems hypocritical.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Liberation

« Reply #2530 on: September 29, 2011, 03:04:21 PM »
I wish folks were more open-minded to the first two albums. They have far more in common with the more-liked Opeth albums than Watershed and Heritage but it seems far more folks wanna insist on being patient with the last two releases so they can warm up to them but seem to think a couple listens are all the first two albums deserve. Seems hypocritical.
Agreed entirely.

Advent is definitely high on the list of my favourite Opeth songs. The other ones are excellent too. Morningrise isn't flawless and it really takes time to fully grasp, but it's excellent.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2531 on: September 29, 2011, 03:11:04 PM »
Orchid and Morningrise are both awesome records.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #2532 on: September 29, 2011, 03:15:01 PM »

Beautifully said. After listening to Morningrise so much, I now can't seem to find any reason as to why I shunned it in the first place. Bandwagon mindset, I suppose.

RIP DTP.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2533 on: September 29, 2011, 04:06:08 PM »

Well done!  Through absolutely no evidence at all you have discovered why some people don't like the first two Opeth albums, completely disregarding alien concepts like "personal opinion," or "preferring the tighter sound, production, and songwriting of everything since MAYH!"  Brilliant!  Why can't you analyze ALL music lovers or haters?  Start with Hayden.  I can't figure him out.

Offline Liberation

« Reply #2534 on: September 29, 2011, 04:08:12 PM »
Yes, and of course everyone bashing Orchid/Morningrise always gives a ton of evidence and good arguments. I've seen plenty of that in this thread. ::)

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2535 on: September 29, 2011, 04:22:18 PM »
Honestly, things like "lolorchid" and "lolmorningrise" are said pretty much JUST to troll Alex, who loves them.  I'm sure we've had plenty of more serious Orchid/Morningrise debates before.  Just assuming people who don't like them MUST be people who keep listening to Watershed/Heritage to eventually like them (which would just be silly) but are hypocrites for not giving Orchid/Morningrise a few extra chances is just baseless and annoying.  I haven't even seen any evidence of the sort on the last few pages! :lol 

I just don't think Morningrise has that many memorable songs.  I can tell you all the bits of TNATSW, I can remember bits of Advent, I can remember bits of Nectar and TBYF, I can't tell you SHIT about what happens in BRI.  I feel I've given the album plenty of listens.  Maybe I'll revisit it someday, but I just never have the urge to listen to it.  Like I said, everything since MAYH has been tighter in almost every respect.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #2536 on: September 29, 2011, 04:23:11 PM »

Well done!  Through absolutely no evidence at all you have discovered why some people don't like the first two Opeth albums, completely disregarding alien concepts like "personal opinion," or "preferring the tighter sound, production, and songwriting of everything since MAYH!"  Brilliant!  Why can't you analyze ALL music lovers or haters?  Start with Hayden.  I can't figure him out.

Christ... Have a beer. Or ejaculate. It was an observation, a simple thought; not some definite, in depth analysis. Evidence? Disregarded opinions? When someone starts off a post with "I wish...", it's probably a good bet to say that it isn't to be taken like a formal essay. The guy plainly suggested that perhaps if others gave it another chance or let it marinate a little longer that their opinion might change, as mine did. Srs bznss round here.

RIP DTP.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #2537 on: September 29, 2011, 04:25:03 PM »

Christ... Have a beer. Or ejaculate. It was an observation, a simple thought; not some definite, in depth analysis. Evidence? Disregarded opinions? When someone starts off a post with "I wish...", it's probably a good bet to say that it isn't to be taken like a formal essay. The guy plainly suggested that perhaps if others gave it another chance or let it marinate a little longer that their opinion might change, as mine did. Srs bznss round here.
Yeah.... SDN, whats been your problem with Black Floyd recently?  You're basically attacking him verbally herer and other threads belittling him for giving his fucking say on things.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2538 on: September 29, 2011, 04:25:57 PM »
I was being mostly sarcastic.  But when you're calling a bunch of people hypocrites over really no evidence to support it, it irks me a bit.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #2539 on: September 29, 2011, 04:29:03 PM »
Seriously skydivingninja, what the hell's your problem with me? You jumped my shit completely unprovoked in the R&R HoF thread yesterday and now this. We've never had any harsh words and I've even complimented you on your scarf in the pic where you met Brent Hinds from Mastodon. Without getting personal, I'll seriously ask you: are you just going through some tough times or something? I always notice the worst in my personality tends to rear its ugly head when I have shit bothering me including, at times, when I'm posting online.

Edit: And we've ALL seen numerous posts by O and M dissenters claiming they couldn't make it through more than a couple listens or flatly saying they don't need to keep listening to them to know why those two albums suck.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2540 on: September 29, 2011, 04:33:42 PM »
I don't have a problem with you!  Honestly!  Those kind of broad posts that assume how other people MUST think just irk me.  I'm just not a fan of broad, baseless generalizations that end with a negative comment like "Sounds hypocritical."  As I just said:

Honestly, things like "lolorchid" and "lolmorningrise" are said pretty much JUST to troll Alex, who loves them.  I'm sure we've had plenty of more serious Orchid/Morningrise debates before.  Just assuming people who don't like them MUST be people who keep listening to Watershed/Heritage to eventually like them (which would just be silly) but are hypocrites for not giving Orchid/Morningrise a few extra chances is just baseless and annoying.  I haven't even seen any evidence of the sort on the last few pages! :lol 

Now can we PLEASE kiss, make up, and talk more about how much Morningrise sucks?  :-*

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #2541 on: September 29, 2011, 04:38:30 PM »
I was being mostly sarcastic.  But when you're calling a bunch of people hypocrites over really no evidence to support it, it irks me a bit.

I wouldn't say the words "Seems hypocritical" amounts to calling a bunch of people hypocrites, but if you took it as such I can see how... It just seemed a bit overboard. I've always been terrible at detecting sarcasm through text.

I just don't think Morningrise has that many memorable songs.  I can tell you all the bits of TNATSW, I can remember bits of Advent, I can remember bits of Nectar and TBYF, I can't tell you SHIT about what happens in BRI.  I feel I've given the album plenty of listens.  Maybe I'll revisit it someday, but I just never have the urge to listen to it. Like I said, everything since MAYH has been tighter in almost every respect.

I agree wholeheartedly with that last statement though. There was a paradigm shift of sorts after Morningrise for sure; the albums are more concise and seem to have a decisive vision.

RIP DTP.

Offline Liberation

« Reply #2542 on: September 29, 2011, 04:43:11 PM »

I just don't think Morningrise has that many memorable songs.  I can tell you all the bits of TNATSW, I can remember bits of Advent, I can remember bits of Nectar and TBYF, I can't tell you SHIT about what happens in BRI.  I feel I've given the album plenty of listens.  Maybe I'll revisit it someday, but I just never have the urge to listen to it.  Like I said, everything since MAYH has been tighter in almost every respect.
Cool. But another thing I noticed is that everyone jumped on me when I said I didn't like Heritage after my first listen (and I definitely wasn't the only one who got that after saying he doesn't like it). So it's fine to say Orchid/Morningrise sucks but not Heritage?...

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2543 on: September 29, 2011, 04:54:24 PM »
Heritage came out last week. Orchid/Morningrise came out like forever ago. They had time to grow.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2544 on: September 29, 2011, 04:58:32 PM »
Yeah, that's a pretty terrible comparison.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #2545 on: September 29, 2011, 05:03:20 PM »
Heritage came out last week. Orchid/Morningrise came out like forever ago. They had time to grow.
Orchid and MR are great, also doesn't change the fact that people who didn't initially or still don't like Heritage basically were getting their opinions shat on themselves.

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #2546 on: September 29, 2011, 05:41:04 PM »
It's a great album.
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2547 on: September 29, 2011, 05:44:53 PM »
blahblahblahblahblah Morningrise is a beautiful album.

Offline Liberation

« Reply #2548 on: September 29, 2011, 06:50:27 PM »
Orchid and MR are great, also doesn't change the fact that people who didn't initially or still don't like Heritage basically were getting their opinions shat on themselves.
This. I don't care when were they released, this is a very simple matter. It's evil to dislike Heritage because that means you're close-minded blablabla, it's fine to say Orchid and Morningrise sucks.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #2549 on: September 29, 2011, 06:52:05 PM »
This. I don't care when were they released, this is a very simple matter. It's evil to dislike Heritage because that means you're close-minded blablabla, it's fine to say Orchid and Morningrise sucks.
I love all 3 but this.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #2550 on: September 29, 2011, 07:47:30 PM »
I don't have a problem with you!  Honestly!  Those kind of broad posts that assume how other people MUST think just irk me.  I'm just not a fan of broad, baseless generalizations that end with a negative comment like "Sounds hypocritical."

Well, that's relieving cuz I generally like you as a poster.

I wasn't implying that it's the same exact people who dislike the first two that were also being Heritage apologists. I was bummed out that as a fanbase (on DTF anyway) there's so much intolerance for the negative reactions to Heritage whereas it's, by majority, seen as totally fine to just disregard two very well-written albums that happen to be far more similar to the lion's share of the popular Opeth albums than the one that's getting all the rallying and support when it's embattled, Heritage.

Now can we PLEASE kiss, make up, and talk more about how much Morningrise sucks?  :-*

:-* /partial homo

I assume you were addressing Liberation's post and not mine but just to clarify in case it was my post, I was referencing the segment of folks who say things like "I couldn't even make it past a few listens" or "I seriously doubt any further listening is gonna change my opinion" when I made that post. But if I were to make similar comments regarding Heritage (which I actually dislike less each time) I'm criticized for things like:

1) expecting them to just beat a dead horse and eternally release death metal albums

2) not appreciating the new ideas brought to the table

3) not giving it a fair chance

Sorry if you were addressing Liberace and not me, this was only to address you in case you were addressing me.

Yeah, that's a pretty terrible comparison.

Not under the circumstances I mentioned earlier since they'd both be judged on a similar amount of actual listening time.

Offline Liberation

« Reply #2551 on: September 29, 2011, 08:11:18 PM »
Well, it seems we have the same views on this issue :)

Offline darkshade

« Reply #2552 on: September 29, 2011, 08:27:31 PM »
I'm watching the making of Heritage DVD right now, and the guitarist looks like the short fat guy from Whitest Kids You Know

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2553 on: September 30, 2011, 01:14:22 AM »
I don't know quite if this is the case, but sometimes I get the feeling that maybe some fans are a bit like this:
They start off with a fairly new album, could be the latest or could be 3-4 albums back, but still a fairly modern album.
They start checking out the albums being close in the disco, I can imagine people starting with Heritage to work themselves back one album at the time, and people that starts with BWP probably checks the albums that has come out after.
Eventually there's the first 4 albums left, and I can imagine a lot of people checking out Still Life and MAYH because a lot of people here really praise them, so a bit of curiosity is not that surprising.
But then we get to Morningrise and Orchid, and as much as I like them, they have been in an uphill battle here on DTF since like forever, and I can imagine people maybe not check them out so much, just because they don't "need" it, or something.
They still have 7-8 other Opeth albums perhaps, and maybe they don't think it's worth shattering the image of Opeth as being very high quality and solid, by listening to an album that a lot of people diss. :P

Again, this is just hypothetical.
Another example we could do is Porcupine Tree, where most people start with probably In Absentia, Deadwing, LBS or maybe Stupid Dream.
When they get to know the discography post-Signify, I think there are quite a few who don't work their way back more, and it really shows in survivors and such.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #2554 on: September 30, 2011, 01:41:39 AM »
For me, both with PT and Opeth, it's been mostly like that. Getting into these bands that have 8+ albums takes some time, I personally like to get into a maximum of 3-4 albums at a time and I usually don't consider it "assimilated" until I know it pretty well - for me that means knowing most songs by name, being able to identify a song when hearing it, being able to remember most of a song off the top of my head... that takes time, so by the time I've done it with the most recent 5-6 albums I need a change of pace/band and it becomes tiresome to start again with the older stuff, especially when people don't speak as highly of it as with the recent albums.

I'm getting into older PT and I'm loving it now, but I've needed almost two years since my first PT phase in which I got into Signify to FOABP to start this process again. With Opeth, I've gotten into Still Life but considering growls aren't really my thing, I'm sort of content with 5 growling albums and I don't feel the rush to try the first three, though I will do it eventually.