Author Topic: Metallica Unreleased  (Read 5087 times)

Offline Dream_Theater01

Metallica Unreleased
« on: March 14, 2011, 02:25:08 PM »
Yes, I was the one who started the Unreleased Dream Theater topic before, but I decided to post one about Metallica.  I'm a fan of unreleased and rare material and Metallica is one of my favorite bands.  It is known that Metallica has unreleased material.  From their last album, "Death Magnetic" they wrote 25 songs and recorded 14.  Only 10 were on the album.  There is also tons of material from the Presidio where they began working on a new album, before they started fresh on "St. Anger".  That's what is known.  Some people say Metallica record everything they write and release everything they record.  Is that accurate?  I'm curious if Metallica has unreleased material from the 80's and stuff, like "Kill 'Em All", "Ride The Lighting", "Master Of Puppets".  Any thoughts?

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
Re: Metallica Unreleased
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 02:28:37 PM »
As far as I know, there isn't. There's demos of songs, like Mouldy, different version of songs, like the NEM elevator version, but I've never heard of an album of unreleased Metallica songs.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 02:29:50 PM »
I assumed that Metallica would write a bunch of songs, and the one's that wouldn't get used would be broken up and placed in new songs. That's how most bands operate.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 02:31:44 PM »
I assumed that Metallica would write a bunch of songs, and the one's that wouldn't get used would be broken up and placed in new songs. That's how most bands operate.
They've done this, a part of The New Song is used as the intro for The End of the Line.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Dream_Theater01

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 02:48:31 PM »
Yeah, they might take parts out of unreleased songs and use them in a different song.  However, I'm sure they probably have tons of unreleased material in the vaults.  At least, I'd like to think so!

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 04:40:56 PM »
You've pretty much mentioned them all.....I can't think of anything.

Offline Dream_Theater01

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 04:58:52 PM »
Has anyone seen Metallica's Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame Press Conference?  Lars Ulrich talks about "vaults" that they look forward to sharing at some point in the future.  He says there is alot of very unique stuff there.

Online Ryzee

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 05:09:40 PM »
Anyone remember the "wah nah nah" demo versions of some Metallica songs?  I used to listen to a radio show on KNAC (R.I.P.) here in L.A. called "Mandatory Metallica" and they would play those a bunch.  They're basically Lars & James demoing songs, with James singing "wah nah nahs" in place of the as yet unwritten lyrics.  I know there was one for Wherever I May Roam for sure, can't remember the other songs that had them.  They were pretty silly.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 07:57:09 PM »
I remember hearing the Wherever I May Roam one on the Black Album Classic Albums documentary. I lol'd.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 08:18:43 PM »
I remember hearing the Wherever I May Roam one on the Black Album Classic Albums documentary. I lol'd.
I actually have that and the Until It Sleeps one.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 08:33:20 PM »
OP must be the guy that made either the same thread, or kept talking about this in a thread, over at MetBB. If so, then :lol :lol
inb4chaos

Offline Dream_Theater01

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 07:26:43 AM »
OP must be the guy that made either the same thread, or kept talking about this in a thread, over at MetBB. If so, then :lol :lol
inb4chaos

I'm a member at Metbb.  But I never go there anymore.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2011, 06:56:11 AM »
The only unreleased material of Metallica -which we never heard- is the presdeio (i forgot the spelling) recordings from 2001/2002 before Hetfield went to rehab.
Only samples we're heard of this was through the JITS videos and SKOM movie, fans titled these samples themselves based upon bits of lyrics on the samples, there's Dead Kennedy Rolls, Shadows of the Cross and Temptation, all sounded great imo.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Dream_Theater01

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2011, 07:48:35 AM »
The only unreleased material of Metallica -which we never heard- is the presdeio (i forgot the spelling) recordings from 2001/2002 before Hetfield went to rehab.
Only samples we're heard of this was through the JITS videos and SKOM movie, fans titled these samples themselves based upon bits of lyrics on the samples, there's Dead Kennedy Rolls, Shadows of the Cross and Temptation, all sounded great imo.

They did sound great.  It makes a person wonder what all else they have in the vaults.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2011, 08:33:05 AM »
More of the same. And they're not that keen on releasing it according to various Lars interviews.
Most recently this one https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/upcoming_releases/metallica_no_plans_to_release_lost_recordings.html
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2011, 09:23:21 AM »
I haven't read the interview, but I can guess that if it was not released (songs, I mean), then Metallica doesn't think it is good enough for their fans to hear it.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 09:28:30 AM by Dimitrius »

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2011, 10:09:06 AM »
That's one thing and the other thing is that there are no songs there, they're mostly riffs and jams, very few have any vocals on them.

Offline Dream_Theater01

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2011, 11:33:25 AM »
That's one thing and the other thing is that there are no songs there, they're mostly riffs and jams, very few have any vocals on them.

What clips you hear of the Presidio material are pieced together by someone, on Youtube.  The real versions have vocals and stuff.  I'm a huge fan of Metallica, and I'd be interested in hearing all of their unreleased material in the future.

As for that recent interview, Lars says they will not revisit the Presidio sessions for their next album.  He never said that it wouldn't be released in the future.  Right now, it just doesn't make sense to revisit the unreleased stuff when they can still make new original albums.  They can release the rare and unreleased stuff after they retire, or stop making new albums.  At the RRHOF Press Conference, Lars talks about the vaults.  And I believe I've read where James has said that Metallica will periodically release the unreleased and forgotten stuff, after they retire.  James says he wants to give to the fans long after Metallica doesn't play anymore.