Author Topic: Are there Christians who are fans of Dream Theater?  (Read 12883 times)

Offline Soldier777

Are there Christians who are fans of Dream Theater?
« on: March 12, 2011, 05:30:06 PM »
Are there evangelical/born again Christians who are fans of Dream Theater? How do you feel about albums like Metropolis Scenes Form a Memory in which one of the themes are reincarnation? Or where Forsaken has a character that is a vampire? Or where Rite of Passage is about secret club/societies like the free masons? Do any of you feel this conflicts with your beliefs?

I think that Dream Theater is a great band and I wonder about these things my self.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Are there Christians who are fans of Dream Theater?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 05:35:13 PM »
There's a lot of Christians on this board. Regarding the incarnation aspect of SFAM, it's a story, and I believe that's how they treat it.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline ehra

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 05:37:10 PM »
I'm going to be honest, I have no idea what evangelical and born again means  :lol

But, no, I don't feel any conflict listening to those songs. They're just stories. Even if they weren't stories and the songs were trying to say that, say, reincarnation was an actual thing, then I still wouldn't feel any "conflict" because, hey, that's their view. It's a good album regardless.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 05:41:54 PM »
I'm going to be honest, I have no idea what evangelical and born again means  :lol

evangelical => preaching to others, trying to proselytize
born again => Having experienced a "rebirth" during their life. Usually uber-uber-Christians, a la Neal Morse

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline ehra

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 05:44:43 PM »
Thanks!

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 05:53:20 PM »
evangelical => preaching to others, trying to proselytize

I know that's what the word means, but my experience with people who call themselves evangelicals is not this. What comes to mind is conservative Christians who are against liberalized Christianity, focusing on the rapture/end times and teaching that the Jews are still the chosen people.

wtf is the internet?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 08:59:00 PM »
Are there evangelical/born again Christians who are fans of Dream Theater? How do you feel about albums like Metropolis Scenes Form a Memory in which one of the themes are reincarnation? Or where Forsaken has a character that is a vampire? Or where Rite of Passage is about secret club/societies like the free masons? Do any of you feel this conflicts with your beliefs?

I think that Dream Theater is a great band and I wonder about these things my self.
How would it conflict with anyone's beliefs?  They are all fictional stories.  No one in the band believes in any of that crap.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline j

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 09:00:24 PM »
^That.  And even if they DID believe it, does liking the music someone makes mean that you have to agree with them about everything in the universe too?

-J

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 09:05:06 PM »
Aren't at least both John's practicing Christians?

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 09:07:03 PM »
Yes.  And it's fairly obvious; a large portion of Petrucci's lyrics are based at least partially from his religious views.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 09:09:08 PM »
I was a Christian when I got into Dream Theater.  My Christian roommate introduced me to them and my Christian best friend and I explored their music together.

Scenes From a Memory was the album that blew me away.  Because it's an obviously fictional kickass story told with kickass music, and that was what mattered.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2011, 09:10:23 PM »
I remember James in older interviews saying he was a Christian. I remember during the Frameshift project he mentioned that he didn't believe in Evolution or something like that so he had to do a lot of reading to get into the project. I think he's changed now, though, and identifies as a Deist.

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2011, 10:45:36 PM »
never thought about it, actually.  if a band is overt about it, it tends to bother me, though.  simply from the perspective of wanting to fill my mind with things that will strengthen me

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2011, 11:04:52 PM »
I think Jamesman is born again as well (James feel free to correct me if I'm dead wrong, I don't know anything about this sorta stuff).
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2011, 12:38:59 AM »

Yes; and I don't feel conflicted at all. More broadly, good music is good music. "Eat the meat, spit out the bones" is how my old pastor put it, and that seems rather reasonable to me.

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2011, 12:40:49 AM »

Yes; and I don't feel conflicted at all. More broadly, good music is good music. "Eat the meat, spit out the bones" is how my old pastor put it, and that seems rather reasonable to me.

good advice

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2011, 04:30:45 AM »

I think this is the first time I've ever seen you talk about DT on this site  :biggrin:

Offline Ħ

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2011, 04:33:20 AM »

I think this is the first time I've ever seen you talk about DT on this site  :biggrin:
Now all we have to do is get AndyDT to say something related to DT and we'll have made history.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2011, 04:36:58 AM »
Actually, I clearly remember Andy doing so in some capacity. It's only at PR where I see people that I don't really recall seeing anywhere else.

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2011, 05:24:38 AM »

How would it conflict with anyone's beliefs?  They are all fictional stories.  No one in the band believes in any of that crap.
Nice, calling reincarnation crap. I personally don't believe in it but if I said believing in jesus is crap I would get tons of flak and be warned.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2011, 05:51:20 AM »

How would it conflict with anyone's beliefs?  They are all fictional stories.  No one in the band believes in any of that crap.
Nice, calling reincarnation crap. I personally don't believe in it but if I said believing in jesus is crap I would get tons of flak and be warned.
??? Crap=stuff.  Nothing negative about it, I was just grouping a lot of stuff together.  But if anyone here believes in reincarnation or vampires and is offended, I certainly apologize.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2011, 06:32:38 AM »
Thanks for that apology, hef.

Now give yourself up to me.

Offline 7thHanyou

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2011, 06:54:19 AM »
I'm a Christian and I have no problem with Dream Theater.

I will say that because I am sensitive to certain content, I usually do pay attention to lyrics.  As such, I tend to avoid hair metal in part because I'm not really interested in songs that are just about sex.  I avoid death metal because I don't like music about harming innocent people.  And so on.

Part of the reason I was drawn to most metal in the first place was because, even if there was criticism of Christianity, it was handled a bit more intelligently than popular music.  When bands like Disturbed have songs with ridiculous lyrics like "Liberate your mind, you motherfucker" repeated 50 times over, Dream Theater is not only inoffensive, but refreshingly smart.  I would feel comfortable talking about them in any Christian setting.  Surprisingly, that also goes for a number of metal bands called "Satanic"--Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, etc. all have surprisingly clean lyrics for the most part.

So no conflict here.  Scenes from a Memory is a story, and a good one at that.  Christian writers like Tolkein and Lewis were not in the least bit afraid to invoke pagan imagery in their stories, so I don't see why a bunch of musicians should be afraid to use a fairly common trope in their little rock opera. ;D

Plus, if I had a problem with reincarnation, I wouldn't watch anime or play Japanese video games.  They seem to use it a hell of a lot.  I might be able to live without Dream Theater, but my life would lose some degree of meaning without Zelda games. :(

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2011, 08:58:48 AM »
Actually, I clearly remember Andy doing so in some capacity. It's only at PR where I see people that I don't really recall seeing anywhere else.

Wow, this I gotta see.  What thread was this in?
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline William Wallace

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2011, 09:24:23 AM »

I'm just full of surprises.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2011, 09:26:35 AM »

I think he mentioned them in his thread on Thinking Man's metal. I'm not sure...

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2011, 08:15:26 PM »
There's a lot of Christians on this board. Regarding the incarnation aspect of SFAM, it's a story, and I believe that's how they treat it.

rumborak

This. And I'm a Christian.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2011, 08:50:13 PM »
SFAM actually got me into Bryan Weiss and I read his famous book and then I came into my senses. The story at least got me interested into why people believe they are the way they are.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2011, 08:55:54 PM »

I think he mentioned them in his thread on Thinking Man's metal. I'm not sure...
Link?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2011, 11:07:50 PM »

rumborak

Same here.

Offline Philawallafox

• ManChild
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2011, 11:09:30 PM »
I'm a Christian and I love Dream Theater. I got introduced to them by a friend with who i did a gap-year course at bible college.

As for the music they're story's, I mean The Spirit Carries on is ambiguous enough that I'd be tempted to have it played at my funeral.

I don't like ToT so much because of the swearing but then it has ITNOG which I LOVE (I don't know for sure what it's about but I'm assuming it's about cults and Christians who *abuse* the name of God and the respect they gain for being in leadership)

As a Christian I'm drawn to their songwriting and technial prowess as a prime example of God's beauty in creation. it makes me enjoy it more. especially their instrumentals. DT make amazing instrumentals.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2011, 06:34:11 AM »
@the OP

I've had similar thoughts about this topic (although about metal in general) and made this thread to address it: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=13560.0

I think there's some really good discussion before the end, where (like all P/R threads with a Christian element) it derails badly :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2011, 07:50:23 AM »

rumborak

Same here.
Add me to this opinion as well. No different from when I watch 'FRINGE' or any other show or movie.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2011, 09:02:23 AM »
I think Jamesman is born again as well (James feel free to correct me if I'm dead wrong, I don't know anything about this sorta stuff).

Yes, born again is the same thing as being a Christian and baptized, as far as I know it to be.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2011, 09:03:01 AM »
Oh, and I *used* to have a problem with SFAM in that regard. Now it's just that it bores me is why I don't listen to it. :biggrin: