Author Topic: On the Classification of the Jewish People  (Read 1763 times)

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
On the Classification of the Jewish People
« on: March 12, 2011, 12:45:13 PM »
At last, I've found it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnoreligious

Ethnoreligious communities define their ethnic identity neither exclusively by ancestral heritage nor simply by religious affiliation, but often through a combination of both (a long shared history; a cultural tradition of its own; either a common geographical origin, or descent from a small number of common ancestors; a common language, not necessarily peculiar to the group; a common literature peculiar to the group; a common religion different from that of neighbouring groups; being a minority or being an oppressed or a dominant group within a larger community).

I don't care that the article is almost wholly without citations, because regardless of that fact the above quote perfectly describes what it means to be a Jew.

Also the examples of peoples similar to the Jews in that respect (listed in the article) are interesting choices; I've often compared the Jews to the Greeks myself, and always in exploring the elusive definition of Jewry.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: On the Classification of the Jewish People
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 12:54:44 PM »
SD, what's your obsession with this?

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 12:57:37 PM »
I don't think it's an obsession. But he always seems to have to explain what it means to be Jewish, which is an extremely loaded question, and I think this is more for reference than anything else.

But I've learned that it's pretty hard to explain what being Jewish means, so I kinda stopped trying :P But I commend SuperJew for keeping up the debate :tup

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 01:03:01 PM »
This is a useful word.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 01:15:46 PM »
SD, what's your obsession with this?

rumborak

No obsession, basically what PLM said.  I guess you weren't involved in the P/R thread maybe a year back or something in which I spent maybe five to ten pages trying to explain to half the forum what Jewishness is. :p

Now I've found a definition that answers the question as completely as I possibly can, and I now consider my work completed.

Offline j

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 02:49:22 PM »
I seem to recall you explaining it fairly well by the end, a lot of us non-Jews just had some disagreements and some trouble understanding it.

Out of curiosity, where do converts to Judaism fall in this definition?  Or Jews that are of other "ethnicities" for that matter?

-J

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 02:53:32 PM »
I'd like to congrajewlate Super Dude on his find.

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 04:11:45 PM »
Now we know what Israeli politicians are concerned about when they obsess about a "Jewish state": a state based on race AND religion. Of course no politician would be brave enough to say it means an "ethnoreligious" state.

wtf is the internet?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 05:23:46 PM »
Now we know what Israeli politicians are concerned about when they obsess about a "Jewish state": a state based on race AND religion. Of course no politician would be brave enough to say it means an "ethnoreligious" state.
They don't have to say "ethnoreligious."  They already know what "Jewish" means.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 05:58:04 PM »
They don't have to say "ethnoreligious."  They already know what "Jewish" means.

Lol, my post wasn't meant to be taken at face value. Obviously "Jew" means different things in different contexts (MP isn't providing an ethnoreligious understanding of himself when he says he's a Jew). It's a very ambiguous term and hence politically useful.

wtf is the internet?

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 10:42:38 PM »
I'm gonna ignore that.

I seem to recall you explaining it fairly well by the end, a lot of us non-Jews just had some disagreements and some trouble understanding it.

Out of curiosity, where do converts to Judaism fall in this definition?  Or Jews that are of other "ethnicities" for that matter?

-J

I really don't know.  I honestly know only one convert personally and he's a family member, so I really don't know how other Jews regard him socially...although he was given the privilege of reading from the Torah at his daughter's bat mitzvah, so if there is some sort of stigma it's not a big one.

And the ethnicity bit is another complicated issue because Jews of all ethnicities are considered Jews, but historically the predominantly Ashkenazic (Western European) Israeli population is known to overpower Sephardim (Middle Eastern) Jews politically and to some degree in civil life.