Author Topic: School Uniforms  (Read 11307 times)

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
Re: School Uniforms
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2011, 10:29:02 AM »
Should be up to the school to decide, then parents/kids decide what school they'll go to.

In the United States you generally can't choose what school to go to unless you can afford a private/parochial school. Although, in Delaware, you have the option of choosing. Not sure about other states, but definitely not Pennsylvania

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2011, 11:00:05 AM »
Here in Tejas, you go to the closest school to you unless you're black or can afford a private school. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2011, 11:01:58 AM »
Hm. Why would being black matter Barto? I'm fairly certain they desegregated lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2011, 11:06:19 AM »
Busing was a means of carrying out desegregation.  I don't honestly know if it's still necessary today, but it was common practice when I was in school.  I suspect they've probably built enough schools now to eliminate the need, but I'm not sure. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2011, 11:09:21 AM »
Oh okay. Do you live (or did live?) in a sparsely or more densely populated area?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2011, 11:13:50 AM »
Average, I suppose.  I grew up in a fairly white part of the fairly minority Oak Cliff.  There was definitely a lot of busing going on when I was in school, although they weren't having to bring them in from very far at all. 
E.F. Benson

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2011, 11:18:42 AM »
In north Wilmington (Delaware), it's pretty dense (for suburbia, anyway). So you could choose from 3 available high schools for attendance. There are also tons of private schools in the area. What I find funny is that almost all the Elementary schools in that area have dress codes, but the high schools do not. One of them (Mount Pleasant High School), has a pretty big violence and, I suspect, gang problem. Don't quite understand the logic of the dress codes there.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2011, 11:22:52 AM »
Average, I suppose.  I grew up in a fairly white part of the fairly minority Oak Cliff.  There was definitely a lot of busing going on when I was in school, although they weren't having to bring them in from very far at all. 

Interesting.  I don't mean to stray too far off topic, but I'm not sure I would agree that this is the best idea.  Sure, there is value in taking steps to promote diversity and expose students to a more diverse environment.  But to go to such great lengths to artificially create a diverse environment that does not reflect the neighborhoods these kids grow up in seems ineffiecient and counterproductive to me. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2011, 11:28:34 AM »
My dad tells me of stories of going to a public high school in the 60's where a suit and tie was mandatory.  Buttoned to the top, or else.

I went to catholic schools up to 8th grade and it never was a problem for me. Yea, it was cool I got to wear jeans in high school but it wasn't that important.

I personally think there should be some limits to what you can wear in school.  But to what end, I'm not sure. So I guess I'm a bit of a fence sitter on this subject.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2011, 11:57:38 AM »

Interesting.  I don't mean to stray too far off topic, but I'm not sure I would agree that this is the best idea.  Sure, there is value in taking steps to promote diversity and expose students to a more diverse environment.  But to go to such great lengths to artificially create a diverse environment that does not reflect the neighborhoods these kids grow up in seems ineffiecient and counterproductive to me. 

I don't think anybody really thought it was a great idea.   But,  I suspect it probably had more to do with equalizing the class loads than anything else, and desegregation just gave them the means.  Overcrowding was a pretty big problem back then and trying to keep Barefoot Sanders out of your ass was pretty common practice back then. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2011, 12:24:03 PM »
I don't think anybody really thought it was a great idea.   

I was under the impression lots of liberals thought it was a great idea.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2011, 12:55:46 PM »
I don't think anybody really thought it was a great idea.   

I was under the impression lots of liberals thought it was a great idea.
Most people of strong ideology, be they liberal or conservative, tend to think ideas are great as long as they're not directly affected by them.  The people in my neighborhood thought it was a pretty lousy thing to do.  My grandmother, the yellowest of yellow dogs, felt really strongly that it needed to be done, but didn't like it happening in my school one bit. 
E.F. Benson

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2011, 02:15:40 PM »
My dad tells me of stories of going to a public high school in the 60's where a suit and tie was mandatory.  Buttoned to the top, or else.

That still happens at the high school I was at, 4 years ago :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2011, 02:18:11 PM »
My dad tells me of stories of going to a public high school in the 60's where a suit and tie was mandatory.  Buttoned to the top, or else.

You all dress like Angus Young.  He's one of your greatest exports. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2011, 02:23:11 PM »

That would be true if NZ was apart of Australia :P  But thats okay because I still think America and Canada are the same place.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2011, 02:29:32 PM »

That would be true if NZ was apart of Australia :P  But thats okay because I still think America and Canada are the same place.
:rollin  Ooops! Hee Hee!!  Well, I could see you dressed like that. :laugh: :blush :laugh: 

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2011, 02:33:44 PM »
I was for about 5 years! :lol

Thread back on track anyway: Uniforms are good from everyones perspective but the people who have to wear them.  Its all about control on the school's part.  Which isn't an inherently bad thing, especially when there are some really dumb teenagers around.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2011, 02:42:58 PM »
Mabye it's me but now that I'm a grown up I see people at weddings and funerals and they have work boots or jeans on and it drives me nuts.  Mabye that was the school, with my parents help teaching me how to dress and be respectable.

I've seen this going for a job too.  It was a lesson I've learned.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2011, 03:07:46 PM »

That's okay because until I looked at a map just now, I thought Australia was in Western Canada and that it was a short ferry ride from there to NZ. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2011, 03:10:43 PM »
And here I though lawyers had gophers to get information for them.  I feel much better now.  :laugh:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2011, 03:15:19 PM »
Apparently, my gophers are overpaid.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2011, 04:32:14 PM »
Apparently, my gophers are overpaid.
Sig'd.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2011, 01:18:35 AM »
If I could be bothered googling 'gopher', I'd sig as well.

Alas...