Author Topic: School Uniforms  (Read 11306 times)

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
School Uniforms
« on: March 11, 2011, 09:27:21 PM »
What are your thoughts on school uniforms?  I for one (while I may be biased)  am against them.  One of the reasons being that I believe in the expression of oneself's individuality.  We aren't all made the same and we all don't act the same so we shouldn't all be made to dress the same.  The more you force conformity, the more you are forcing closed-mindedness and lack of creativity. 
Now, do I think there should be a dress code?  Of course.  You shouldn't be showing everything but nipple and crotch.  You should be decently dressed, but they shouldn't take it overboard.  If a girl wants to wear a moderately low-cut shirt(within reason), I say go for it.  If a guy wants to sag his pants a little, let him, as long as they aren't on the ground.  Now I'm not a huge fan of either of those things, but if that's what the person wants to wear to express themselves, then so be it. 

Anyways, what are your thoughts on school dress codes, and school uniforms in particular?  Are they a good thing or a bad thing? 
www.bedeceived.com

ZOMG WHAT'S AT BEDECEIVED.COM?

I DUNNO!  CLICK THE DARNED LINK TO FIND OUT!

Offline kirbywelch92

Re: School Uniforms
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 09:33:49 PM »
I've never really understood the importance of "expression" through clothing. I like dress code because I don't have to waste any time wondering what I'll wear. If I have a clean pair of khaki pants and a clean polo then I'm set for the day.

Honestly you can't really trust stupid teenagers to make responsible decisions in that area. The foolish ideas of 3 students is enough to ruin it for everyone. If everyone just wore jeans and a t-shirt, I doubt dress code would have ever really been implemented.

I wouldn't really call them a good or bad thing, it's just part of the deal. If you want to get the benefits of school, then you must exist within the confines it allows. Virtually every job in America has guidelines (or at least implied standards) for dress and follows the 9 to 5 schedule, no point in "expressing yourself" whenever it will get you virtually no where.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 09:36:47 PM »
Completely against them. Making everyone dress the same is taking an aspect of freedom away. Sure, it seems pretty harmless, and I'm sure there are a few benefits, but the bottom line is band t-shirts, aside from looking cool, are comfortable as hell. I despise wearing anything else.

The other thing I dislike about the kinds of schools that do the uniform thing is that some of them have a hair-length limit on guys. Anyone who knows me at all could imagine why I would have issues with that. Your hairstyle is definitely expression, even if you're somebody who doesn't think clothes are.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline dethklok09

• Mike
  • Great band
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 09:44:40 PM »
I am for it. This way kids can know what its like to live under a facist regime and strive to end ones outside of school. It may encourage them to be a politician or something and strive to make this world a less conforming one. So maybe taking away minor things can help them see major pictures. And hopefully create a perfect anarchic society full of people who govern themselves and understand than try to be understood.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 09:47:39 PM »
They suck for the reasons Collin and Justin put forth.

I quote a very intellectual man...

"Concerning school uniforms, it's not even a new idea. I first saw it in old newsreels from the 1930's, but it was hard to understand, because the narration was in German! But the uniforms looked beautiful. And the children did everything they were told and never questioned authority."

Offline j

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 09:48:05 PM »
Dress codes are probably necessary for quite a few reasons.  School uniforms are overkill IMO, although protecting the "personal expression" of kids is very low on my list of priorities.

-J

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 09:57:43 PM »
The school my kids attend underwent some research several years ago about school uniforms, because some of the parents thought they would be good ideas.  What we found is that in crime-infested, low-achieving schools, results had improved vastly after school uniforms became the norm.  However, our school is fairly high-achieving and trouble-free, so I voted against it, as I saw no real need for it. 

We don't have school uniforms.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline kirbywelch92

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 10:07:38 PM »
That's pretty much the case for a lot of schools. A lot of it boils down to:
1. Is it a public state school?
2. Is it a high school?

I live near Dallas, and DISD is notorious for gang violence. Because of this, uniform policy is stressed to the highest priority.

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 10:18:33 PM »
I've never really understood the importance of "expression" through clothing. I like dress code because I don't have to waste any time wondering what I'll wear. If I have a clean pair of khaki pants and a clean polo then I'm set for the day.
While that might be good for you, shouldn't you take other's freedom into opinion?
Honestly you can't really trust stupid teenagers to make responsible decisions in that area. The foolish ideas of 3 students is enough to ruin it for everyone. If everyone just wore jeans and a t-shirt, I doubt dress code would have ever really been implemented.
What "foolish decisions" can be made by not wearing a uniform?

I wouldn't really call them a good or bad thing, it's just part of the deal. If you want to get the benefits of school, then you must exist within the confines it allows.
For private schools that argument would hold water.  It doesn't for all schools though because you MUST go to school in the US.  It's illegal not to, therefore you have no choice in whether you want the benefits of school.

Virtually every job in America has guidelines (or at least implied standards) for dress and follows the 9 to 5 schedule, no point in "expressing yourself" whenever it will get you virtually no where.
Jobs are optional. 

EDIT: And I didn't mean to specifically rip your post apart.  There were just a few things in there I wanted to argue.
www.bedeceived.com

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 10:21:42 PM »
That's pretty much the case for a lot of schools. A lot of it boils down to:
1. Is it a public state school?
2. Is it a high school?

I live near Dallas, and DISD is notorious for gang violence. Because of this, uniform policy is stressed to the highest priority.
That's what dress code clauses against solid colors in all clothing are for.  Which I SOMEWHAT agree with.  It's better than uniforms or "Khakis and polos" as you say.
www.bedeceived.com

Offline dethklok09

• Mike
  • Great band
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 10:23:40 PM »
As for an argument against them though. I dont believe this is the best way for school to be spending money. Or if its the parents I think money should go towards other things. If its a private school though for rich kids then I dont see this problem appearing.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 10:28:29 PM »
I don't really see how this is a political issue, but I'll see where the conversation progresses.

As for my personal opinions, I went to a high school that didn't have uniforms. But we were a rural, out of the way school of about 1000 kids total. Now, the elementary school I went to back in Delaware (grades 4/5/6), required a uniform. The main argument for uniforms seems to be something about 'gangs'. But what to 10 year olds care about gangs? If you're going to enforce a dress code, do it later. Let kids wear what they want. I hated having to dress in khaki's and polos every day. It was uncomfortable and ridiculous

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 10:36:01 PM »
I see absolutely nothing wrong with them.

wtf is the internet?

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2011, 10:48:25 PM »
My high school didn't have a uniform, but during my junior and senior year, they enforced a strict dress code. Of course, they only did this because they didn't stay on top of enforcing the previous one, and things got out of hand. We had to tuck our shirts in, wear belts, and we could pretty much only wear solid colors (no stripes or patterns), and clothing without logos or writing of any kind. I did not enjoy it.

Offline kirbywelch92

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2011, 10:50:17 PM »
While that might be good for you, shouldn't you take other's freedom into opinion?
I don't really see it as a huge violation of freedom. We students have plenty of time after school to dress however we want. I certainly can see the appeal, it would be nice to wear a Muse T-shirt to school, but it's a matter of necessity over principal. Educators don't have time to waste monitoring dress. While they still do under a uniform code, it drastically lowers the potential number of problems.

What "foolish decisions" can be made by not wearing a uniform?
Where I come from, trying to sneak in weapons with pants that have 20 pockets is not unheard of. Many people don't think today, be it modesty or whether what they're doing is legal or not. Any potential harm caused by a few violators is worth implementing a system of a dress as a means of avoiding it.

For private schools that argument would hold water.  It doesn't for all schools though because you MUST go to school in the US.  It's illegal not to, therefore you have no choice in whether you want the benefits of school.
I suppose you're right in that regard.

Jobs are optional. 
Well unless you want to sell drugs in your parents basement, I doubt that statement holds any kind of ground. Even musicians are considered "employed" by modern economics, as an American citizen you really have no choice but to be part of the working class. Many would say it's unfair, but I'd say that's just being lazy.

And I don't mind you picking apart my post, that's why we're here right? ;)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2011, 11:30:09 PM »
Quite strangely, I probably fall somewhere in the middle.  I think there's merit to both sides.  The thing is, you'll always find ways to express yourself.  Clothes are just one means of expression.  I did a 1 year stint in a school that required a tie everyday.  People at that school didn't see me any different from the people at another school that sent me home once a month for my concert shirts.

Something to consider, Icy, is that clothes are a pretty cheap way to try and define yourself.  By restricting those options, you're forcing people to find more creative ways of defining themselves.  This isn't a bad thing.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2011, 11:33:56 PM »
I never really saw the purpose to uniforms.  As long as the kids wear something thats not offensive or racy then they should be able to wear what they want.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2011, 08:20:26 AM »
Jobs are optional. 
This is the only thing of questionable intelligence I've seen posted in this thread.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Bombardana

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2011, 08:46:58 AM »
I'm absolutely okay with kids being forced to wear school uniforms. It prevents them from making bad decisions like having t-shirts with swear words or wearing slutty clothes or whatever. It prevents kids discriminating against others on the basis of their clothes. It encourages them to take pride in their school and represent it well in public.

I don't buy into the idea that it is infringing on a child or teenager's right to "express themselves". This is a place for learning, not a fashion show. Kids (and more likely, their parents) need to just get over it. And as others have said in this thread, it will encourage kids to seek out their individuality through other means, which is a good thing.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2011, 10:32:38 AM »
I only went to schools where clothes weren't an issue, but I can see uniforms being an effective counter-measure where clothes wars have gotten out of hand.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2011, 07:43:00 PM »
I went to school where we had to wear uniforms up through 6th grade. Polo shirt and corduroy. I never thought it was a big deal (unless we went on a field trip, they we felt kinda silly). I never thought my right to express myself was being significantly hampered. Looking back on it, I was 9, how much personal expression did I need to exhibit? At that age I would have just worn whatever clothes my mom bought for me. I never felt like I was being made in to an automaton who didn't think for himself or express his/her own ideas. But that may have been more a function of the school and the teachers.

I will say that once we got to 7th grade and could wear whatever we wanted, it did feel very liberating at first.  And it was cool and interesting to see what your classmates chose to wear on their own. But not significantly. Even with the uniforms, you could who were tell the skaters, the preppies, the jocks, etc...
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2011, 07:48:11 PM »
I love my uniform in highschool. Because I got to see the girls in theirs. Heh.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2011, 07:53:40 PM »
I love my uniform in highschool. Because I got to see the girls in theirs. Heh.

This point can not be stressed enough.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline icysk8r

• DTF Resident Magician
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • www.bedeceived.com
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2011, 01:38:36 PM »
I'm absolutely okay with kids being forced to wear school uniforms. It prevents them from making bad decisions like having t-shirts with swear words or wearing slutty clothes or whatever. It encourages them to take pride in their school and represent it well in public.

Or you know, the parents could raise their children, not the schools.  After all, it's the parents job...right?

It prevents kids discriminating against others on the basis of their clothes.
I've never seen this happen.  Ever. 
[/quote]

It encourages them to take pride in their school and represent it well in public.

If I had to wear a uniform, I would be ashamed of my school.  I have a few friends who go to a uniformed school, none of them are proud of it.

Quite strangely, I probably fall somewhere in the middle.  I think there's merit to both sides.  The thing is, you'll always find ways to express yourself.  Clothes are just one means of expression.  I did a 1 year stint in a school that required a tie everyday.  People at that school didn't see me any different from the people at another school that sent me home once a month for my concert shirts.

Something to consider, Icy, is that clothes are a pretty cheap way to try and define yourself.  By restricting those options, you're forcing people to find more creative ways of defining themselves.  This isn't a bad thing.

Right, but if you want to express yourself through your clothing, shouldn't you have the right to?

I don't really see it as a huge violation of freedom. We students have plenty of time after school to dress however we want. I certainly can see the appeal, it would be nice to wear a Muse T-shirt to school, but it's a matter of necessity over principal. Educators don't have time to waste monitoring dress. While they still do under a uniform code, it drastically lowers the potential number of problems.
Never, in my 10 years of non-uniform schooling, have I EVER seen class slowed down or disrupted because of clothing.  Unless you count "cool shirt" as a major distraction, which I don't.

Where I come from, trying to sneak in weapons with pants that have 20 pockets is not unheard of. Many people don't think today, be it modesty or whether what they're doing is legal or not. Any potential harm caused by a few violators is worth implementing a system of a dress as a means of avoiding it.
Those who trade liberty for security deserve neither liberty nor security.

/generic quote

Well unless you want to sell drugs in your parents basement, I doubt that statement holds any kind of ground. Even musicians are considered "employed" by modern economics
Since when do musicians have any dress code whatsoever?  There are plenty of jobs that have no dress code.  The bottom line is, it comes down to personal choice.  If you have a deskjob that requires you to wear business clothes, you can still make the choice to wear band tees and sweats.  you will probably get fired, but you have that choice to get fired.  School?  You don't get fired from school.  You can't.

Say a 17 year old is having a tough time in school.  He's thinking about dropping out.  The freedom of wearing whatever he wants is one more chip on the PRO side of dropping out.  Now while I don't think this argument is the best one, it's something to consider. 

Kids want to wear what they want to wear.  Forcing them to wear some ridiculous monkey suit is not going to increase productivity.

www.bedeceived.com

Offline ehra

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2011, 01:57:40 PM »

I've never seen this happen.  Ever.  

Through late elementary school and a lot of middle school my family was a little tight financially and there were times where we weren't able to get new clothes for me as soon as I would outgrow what I currently had. I took a lot of shit for things like having jeans that ended above my ankles, and such. Hell, I've seen plenty of times where kids get made fun of just because of the brand of shoes they wear, or if someone finds out that they bought their clothes from wall-mart.

It happens all the time.

Right, but if you want to express yourself through your clothing, shouldn't you have the right to?

-----

The bottom line is, it comes down to personal choice.  If you have a deskjob that requires you to wear business clothes, you can still make the choice to wear band tees and sweats.  you will probably get fired, but you have that choice to get fired.  School?  You don't get fired from school.  You can't.

They do have the right to do so. They just can't express that "right" at schools that enforce a uniform or dress code. A dress code at school isn't taking away anyone's "right" to do something anymore than a dress code at work is. You still have the "choice" just ignore the rules at school just like at work and dress however you want, facing whatever disciplinary action comes your way. But once you get down to it most people decide that "expressing their individuality" through clothes isn't quite worth getting suspended or dropping out over.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 03:38:44 PM by ehra »

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2011, 02:07:58 PM »
I went to a private school. I wore the uniform from day one until I graduated. Did I complain about it? "TUCK YOUR SHIRT; BUTTON YOUR COLLAR; DON'T TAKE YOUR BLAZER WHEN YOU'RE HAVING LUNCH, YOU ARE A GENTLEMAN!" Yes.

Would I like my school to take off the uniforms? No. We had occasional casual Friday's to gather money for poor people.

Besides, girls wearing skirts and using the stairs? YES!

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2011, 02:22:10 PM »

I've never seen this happen.  Ever.  

Uniforms are good at putting kids on even playing fields, like Bombardana is alluding to.  Like, if there's a poor kid who's parents can barely afford to clothe them and wears a potato sack to school (an exaggeration, obviously), they're gonna get psychologically and probably physically ravaged by the more privileged ones.  If everyone has to wear a uniform, there's little chance of that.

I'm absolutely okay with kids being forced to wear school uniforms. It prevents them from making bad decisions like having t-shirts with swear words or wearing slutty clothes or whatever. It encourages them to take pride in their school and represent it well in public.

Or you know, the parents could raise their children, not the schools.  After all, it's the parents job...right?

Right.  But the world isn't as black and white as that is it?  Some parents have very little say in what their kids do/say/wear.  Bomb raises a good point and I'll add to that with something along the same lines as kirby with the weapon thing; In the area I live there's, like parts of the States, there's a plethora of wannabe gangster kids who would go to school proudly boasting their gang colours.  I'd imagine a uniform would diffuse that to a point and sidestep wannabe gang warfare in schools.

It encourages them to take pride in their school and represent it well in public.

If I had to wear a uniform, I would be ashamed of my school.  I have a few friends who go to a uniformed school, none of them are proud of it.

This is subject to so many variables, so it makes for a pretty shaky argument on either side.  I'd assume that your friends had similar ideologies to you (otherwise you wouldn't be friends, right?), so that you would stick together in hating the establishment would make sense.  I for one was pretty proud of my college uniform, it was pretty styley and it definitely set the school apart from all the other colleges.  Now, looking back, I actually loved getting up and putting on that uniform in the morning :lol.  You also don't waste time in the worrying about what to wear to look cool in front of your oh-so-important peers, which I'd imagine is a huge problem for the metrosexual male.  Screw that.

Never, in my 10 years of non-uniform schooling, have I EVER seen class slowed down or disrupted because of clothing.  Unless you count "cool shirt" as a major distraction, which I don't.

Coming from a uniform school that had occasional mufti days, I can tell you from experience that on mufti days, the behaviour of most kids took a nose dive.  The pressure to match your attitude to your badass look was enough to turn teenagers into even bigger shits, as crazy as it sounds.

If you have a deskjob that requires you to wear business clothes, you can still make the choice to wear band tees and sweats.  you will probably get fired, but you have that choice to get fired.  School?  You don't get fired from school.  You can't.

You can get expelled or suspended which is pretty much the same thing.  Also, comparing a job to school is pretty silly; if you don't like your job, you have a choice to quit.  Sure, you have a choice to wear inappropriate clothing and, in most cases where this kind of scenario counts, I'd imagine that'd be going against the terms of your contract.  Which has far reaching consequences in terms of finding other employment.  So if your gonna fuck yourself by doing that in the name of liberty, you're gonna be a very free, very poor man.  
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 02:32:37 PM by sneakyblueberry »

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2011, 03:04:06 PM »
Yeah, I was going to mention that as well.  The Christian school I went to had the sluttiest cheerleader uniforms you've ever seen, to go along with all the plaid skirts.  Good times.

Man, times must have changed a lot.  When I was in school, the poor kids got fucked with mercilessly. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2011, 03:34:30 PM »

Or you know, the parents could raise their children, not the schools.  After all, it's the parents job...right?

Correct.  So it is the parents making the decisions.  If the parents are OK with the dress code, then I guess you are OK with it?
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2011, 03:46:52 PM »
Yeah, I was going to mention that as well.  The Christian school I went to had the sluttiest cheerleader uniforms you've ever seen, to go along with all the plaid skirts.  Good times.

Man, times must have changed a lot.  When I was in school, the poor kids got fucked with mercilessly. 
I don't think it has changed. It's either that or they get completely ignored. Either way, it's not exactly pleasant.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2011, 03:50:17 PM »
Jobs are optional. 
This is the only thing of questionable intelligence I've seen posted in this thread.
I found myself reviewing that statment a couple times to see if it were a typo....
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2011, 04:08:29 PM »
Jobs are optional. 
I found myself reviewing that statment a couple times to see if it were a typo....

Yup.  Spoken like a kid who lives at home with the parents and doesnt need a job :)
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2011, 04:32:51 PM »
Uniforms are the norm in the uk, and to be honest I think they are beneficial.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2011, 05:19:42 PM »
Uniforms didn't affect my school work at all, well the school interfered with my learning process when they took me out of class for having my belt hang a little.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline jsem

« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2011, 05:26:24 PM »
Should be up to the school to decide, then parents/kids decide what school they'll go to.