Author Topic: Huge Earthquake in Japan.  (Read 16313 times)

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
Re: Huge Earthquake in Japan.
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2011, 07:56:40 AM »
It's such a great thing Japanese citizens are prepared enough to face this type of catastrophes. Can't say the same about many countries in the world, though.

yup, wait till the next big quake hits turkey around istanbul, there will be a huge amount of deaths, and the economy will collapse.
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2011, 08:03:13 AM »
Mexico, for example. I recall times of the swine flu and how people went nuts without really knowing what was going on. People were even considering moving out because they thought the city was turning into some kind of Resident Evil or something. The authorities didn't know how to make the people calm and the economy went down pretty fast.

I guess something like that would happen again in the situation of being hit by an earthquake of such magnitude.  :sadpanda:
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2011, 08:07:31 AM »
One thing that really stuns me about these events is just how widespread the consequences can be. It's not just, "if a building came down, claim insurance and rebuild it and life goes on." Earthquakes can ruin the infrastructures of huge areas. It doesn't matter if your house is still standing and your family's safe and sound, without safe roads, clean water, reliable food supplies and open supermarkets, etc, no-one can return to normal. A lot of companies can't get up and running again for some time, which leaves a lot of people on financially unstable ground til they can work again.

It's such a great thing Japanese citizens are prepared enough to face this type of catastrophes. Can't say the same about many countries in the world, though.
That is true, but to be fair, there are quite a few countries where earthquakes and tsunamis are a serious threat that are probably about as well-prepared as they can be.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2011, 08:09:09 AM »
I mean the thing is Japan is located right on top of I think five fault lines, so their infrastructure really has to be prepared to handle anything.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2011, 08:09:26 AM »
One thing that really stuns me about these events is just how widespread the consequences can be. It's not just, "if a building came down, claim insurance and rebuild it and life goes on." Earthquakes can ruin the infrastructures of huge areas. It doesn't matter if your house is still standing and your family's safe and sound, without safe roads, clean water, reliable food supplies and open supermarkets, etc, no-one can return to normal. A lot of companies can't get up and running again for some time, which leaves a lot of people on financially unstable ground til they can work again.

That is true, but to be fair, there are quite a few countries where earthquakes and tsunamis are a serious threat that are probably about as well-prepared as they can be.

Yeah, that's why I never specified. My point is that Japan is one of the most advanced and well-prepared countries in the world against such natrual events, and with good reason (considering they get lots of 'em most of the time)
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2011, 08:22:50 AM »
I am really sucked into all the footage of this. It's amazing to see such clear depiction of a tsunami. The whirlpools, the farmland flooding, the debris in the water, the water on fire... It truly is amazing how much power there is.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2011, 08:24:21 AM »
Yeah, I can imagine Japan is one of the most sorted countries in the world for this sort of thing.

Here's an article about Haiti that really emphasises how bad it can be if a country isn't prepared (or in a case like Haiti really can't be prepared) and can't respond. Of course, Haiti was a very extreme case though, it was already an abysmally poor country before the earthquake.
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10698910

Also, is anyone watching the news? There's a town called Kesennuma near Sendai of 74,000 people and basically the entire town is in flames.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2011, 08:32:06 AM »
Terrible... :'(
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2011, 08:33:50 AM »
 :-\
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2011, 08:34:09 AM »
Google has set up a people finder:

https://japan.person-finder.appspot.com/?lang=en

Japanese is the default language, of course.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2011, 08:39:27 AM »
A friend of mine live in Japan 2 weekend a month. He says it's insane over there right now. The entire train system is shut down, something that never happens. People are walking for hours and hours just to get home, and many have just been setting up camp at their workplace.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2011, 08:40:10 AM »
Yep, the Earth's crust does move.  These things do happen.  Unfortunately, people do get in the way.  But, despite it all, nature is a wonderful thing.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2011, 08:42:51 AM »
Friend's status as of 4 minutes ago.

"Aftershocks are swaying my building and rocking me to sleep. I'm getting too used to the earth shaking. Goodnight! 皆さん、おやすみ。お疲れ様です。"

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2011, 08:53:24 AM »
Fuck that's a bad! ack44 weren't you in Japan?

Yea, definitely the biggest I've ever felt.

wtf is the internet?

Offline Neon

• DT.net Member
  • Beware the Jabberwock, my son...
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2011, 09:05:00 AM »

"Aftershocks are swaying my building and rocking me to sleep. I'm getting too used to the earth shaking. Goodnight! 皆さん、おやすみ。お疲れ様です。"

Holy shit there is no way that I'd be able to sleep...
I'd kill myself for you.
I'd kill you for myself.

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2011, 09:12:31 AM »
Fuck that's a bad! ack44 weren't you in Japan?

DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2011, 09:13:51 AM »

That's what she said.

Offline dethklok09

• Mike
  • Great band
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2011, 09:16:19 AM »
Mother Nature is starting to take revenge on the human race for how we are treating her.
:neverusethis:
But on a serious note this is tragic.

Offline kala1928

« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2011, 09:48:18 AM »
Death toll rises to over 300.

I'm not impressed.

Offline In The Name Of Rudess

« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2011, 10:09:57 AM »
Death toll rises to over 300.

I'm not impressed.

That's because they haven't really started counting the bodies yet. I would expect that figure to rise by several tenthousands in a couple of days.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2011, 10:11:20 AM »
I really hope not, the Japanese always anticipated earthquakes and generally very affective in managing to survive disasters.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2011, 10:24:44 AM »
I signed up years and years ago for email alerts/notifications from the USGS whenever there was an earthquake anywhere around the world. You can set the sensitivity of these quakes, because, there are literally hundreds of tremblors of varying degrees around the planet each day, so I set my sensitivity scale to only send me alerts/updates whenever there is a 5.5 or larger quake somewhere. Since this mornings first quake near Japan, which registered a 7.8, and including the 8.9, there have been 54 (and counting) aftershocks registering more than 5.5.

I used to have it set for anything above a 4.0, until the quake in Indonesia, and at that time I recall I had over 175 email alerts over about a three day period, so I changed it to 5.5.

EDIT: In the time I took me to post this....56 and counting.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Vivace

« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2011, 10:46:04 AM »
I hated how that article tried to relate it to the U.S.

"It could affect Hawaii."
"The U.S. military base is okay."

For fucks sake, a nation was just devastated. When things like this happen we need to support them instead of worrying about how it may or may not affect us. Maybe it's just me, I don't know.

Yes, but if you were in Hawaii would you want to know if a wave will wipe you out? What if you had relatives in Hawaii? On the Military Base? This is journalism doing its job.
"What kind of Jedis are these? Guardians of peace and justice my ass!"

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2011, 12:10:35 PM »
I woke up and the first thing I saw was the footage of the tsunami taking away cars and buildings... frightening.
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2011, 12:12:19 PM »
I hated how that article tried to relate it to the U.S.

"It could affect Hawaii."
"The U.S. military base is okay."

For fucks sake, a nation was just devastated. When things like this happen we need to support them instead of worrying about how it may or may not affect us. Maybe it's just me, I don't know.

Yes, but if you were in Hawaii would you want to know if a wave will wipe you out? What if you had relatives in Hawaii? On the Military Base? This is journalism doing its job.
I have to agree.  A US news source pointing out concerns specific to our country only makes sense.  Those are common places many in the US are going to care about as far as knowing individuals that might be affected.  There's nothing uncaring about it, it's providing information focused towards their audience.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2011, 12:34:19 PM »
I was watching the coverage of this last night when the EAS interrupted coverage with a tsunami alert.  That was a first for me.  I hope for the best for those in Japan, as one who went through '89 Loma Prieta quake, 8.9 is fucking huge and scary to think of.

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2011, 12:43:53 PM »
I signed up years and years ago for email alerts/notifications from the USGS whenever there was an earthquake anywhere around the world. You can set the sensitivity of these quakes, because, there are literally hundreds of tremblors of varying degrees around the planet each day, so I set my sensitivity scale to only send me alerts/updates whenever there is a 5.5 or larger quake somewhere. Since this mornings first quake near Japan, which registered a 7.8, and including the 8.9, there have been 54 (and counting) aftershocks registering more than 5.5.

I used to have it set for anything above a 4.0, until the quake in Indonesia, and at that time I recall I had over 175 email alerts over about a three day period, so I changed it to 5.5.

EDIT: In the time I took me to post this....56 and counting.
Holy crap.  That's insane.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2011, 02:21:49 PM »
Sun is finally rising in Japan! Search and rescue can really start now.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2011, 02:42:23 PM »

Holy shit there is no way that I'd be able to sleep...

He just posted this one.

"Japan has an earthquake alert system that sends alarms off on cell phones a few seconds before a major quake is going to hit an area. Being woken up by that at 430am a few minutes ago after the events of the last day was pretty terrifying.... The earthquake wasn't that bad this time but I just got shot with enough adrenaline that going back to sleep is impossible."

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
  • I like big biquads and I cannot lie.
« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2011, 03:03:48 PM »
Sad to see.  Why is it that tsunamis seem so damn frequent of late.  I don't remember them in the 80's. 90's?!

Mother Nature is starting to take revenge on the human race for how we are treating her.

Or not.  :laugh:

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2011, 03:29:32 PM »
hory shit

The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #66 on: March 11, 2011, 03:31:21 PM »
That's so....symmetrical

:|

MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #67 on: March 11, 2011, 03:32:52 PM »
Damn, that looks awful, intimidating and yet fascinating at the same time.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: March 11, 2011, 04:09:09 PM »
This morning we were worried because a my friend's mother is the ambassador of our country over there. Next minute she was talking in the radio. *relief*

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #69 on: March 11, 2011, 04:31:44 PM »
Been following a bit of the footage today, just horrible. The only small relief is that Tokyo hasn't been too badly affected, because really could have destroyed the country's entire economy. But still, it's completely devastating.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.