Author Topic: Huge Earthquake in Japan.  (Read 16312 times)

Offline juice

• om nom nom
Huge Earthquake in Japan.
« on: March 10, 2011, 11:49:49 PM »
Tokyo (CNN) -- An 8.8-magnitude earthquake hit Japan early Friday, triggering tsunami warnings and sending people fleeing out of buildings in the capital. The quake rattled buildings and toppled cars off bridges and into waters underneath. In Tokyo, crowds huddled together and tried to reach relatives via cell phone. Its epicenter was 373 kilometers (231 miles) from Tokyo, the United States Geological Survey said. It triggered a tsunami warning for various countries, including Japan and Russia, the National Weather Service said. "Earthquakes of this size are known to generate tsunamis potentially dangerous to coasts outside the source region," it said.

Source: https://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/03/11/japan.quake/?hpt=T2

These things seem to be happening awfully frequent now in days.  I hope everyone is alright.

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
Re: Huge Earthquake in Japan.
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 01:10:17 AM »

:sad: tsunamis are so sudden, and it's extremely hard to reach stranded people for quite a while. i wish all those effected all the best
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 01:15:06 AM »
My prayers are with everyone affected by this disaster.  I was watching live coverage and the devastation was just unreal.  At least 15 foot waves travelling at about 40 MPH.

Offline kala1928

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 02:31:03 AM »
We were in Tokyo last march during an earthquake/tsunami as well. Lucky it wasn't like this one.

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 02:43:21 AM »
That flaming house riding the tsunami is the fucking shit.

wtf is the internet?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 03:08:38 AM »
That is awful.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 03:29:50 AM »
I hated how that article tried to relate it to the U.S.

"It could affect Hawaii."
"The U.S. military base is okay."

For fucks sake, a nation was just devastated. When things like this happen we need to support them instead of worrying about how it may or may not affect us. Maybe it's just me, I don't know.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 03:38:26 AM »
Saw the live coverage on tv while I was at the gym.  Absolutely terrible, the natural disasters lately are horrific, my thoughts to every poor bastard involved in this.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline kala1928

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 03:48:25 AM »
That flaming house riding the tsunami is the fucking shit.

+1

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 03:48:48 AM »
That is horrible. I really hope that the region will get out of it okay.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 03:52:54 AM »
Fuck that's a bad! ack44 weren't you in Japan?
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 04:06:07 AM »
Was also watching the coverage this morning, the damage is terrible. It was also pretty sad to watch.

There are also some rumours that there is a alert out regarding nuclear radiation leakage from one of the plants that is heavily damaged.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 04:55:08 AM »
Sad to see.  Why is it that tsunamis seem so damn frequent of late.  I don't remember them in the 80's. 90's?!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2011, 05:36:08 AM »
I hated how that article tried to relate it to the U.S.

"It could affect Hawaii."
"The U.S. military base is okay."

For fucks sake, a nation was just devastated. When things like this happen we need to support them instead of worrying about how it may or may not affect us. Maybe it's just me, I don't know.

I didn't really notice it. It talked about the damage done, and said that it could also affect lots of other countries, as well as hawaii and possibly areas on the west coast. *shrug*
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2011, 05:39:06 AM »
Sad to see.  Why is it that tsunamis seem so damn frequent of late.  I don't remember them in the 80's. 90's?!

Mother Nature is starting to take revenge on the human race for how we are treating her.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2011, 05:39:47 AM »
To be fair, the first thing most people are going to wonder about an earthquake in the Pacific is "OH SHI- WILL IT HIT HAWAII?", So, I'm pretty sure they're just covering the questions they know will come pouring in.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2011, 05:42:03 AM »
you know they never report the important shit in these news, how long did it last?
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2011, 05:42:51 AM »
The end is near?
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2011, 05:55:36 AM »

Global destabilization.

Offline Neon

• DT.net Member
  • Beware the Jabberwock, my son...
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2011, 06:12:04 AM »
Wow, the footage is just awful.

And I think that newscasts in the USA are right in reporting that it could potentially affect Hawaii and maybe even the mainland west coast.  I wouldn't expect other countries such as China or something to report the potential threat to the US, but you get the idea. 

I've been watching Good Morning America- they were actually talking about all of the countries along the entire pacific ocean coastline that could potentially be affected by this. 
I'd kill myself for you.
I'd kill you for myself.

Offline TL

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2011, 06:17:18 AM »
It's more a case of a more globalized community, with instant 24/7 access to information. These sorts of things have always happened; we just hear about it more now.

My thoughts and prayers go out to those effected.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2011, 06:32:13 AM »
These things seem to be happening awfully frequent now in days.
Urbanization is a significant factor into an up tick in the frequency of major disasters, especially the propensity for people to move to disaster prone areas.  The last major New Madrid earthquake resulted in farmers saying their animals ran off and everyone basically putting themselves back together.  A repeat, which many expect is coming, would result in many urban centers becoming dependent on outside aid.  If it does occur, it will be a major disaster.  Then you have places like Dakar, where we see regular disasters of flooding because migration toward the urban center resulted in poor communities populating the region's floodplains.  It used to flood and nobody cared, now it is a regular place for a disaster.

Awareness and better technology are another factor many people ignore.  Faster and better sharing of information across the globe also helps make us more aware of events like this.  News is no longer hand picked for people based on what paper they read or what tv station they watch.  Technology also allows the relevant communities to now have more complete records for global data.  Not too long ago if a human didn't witness and pass it outside their area, it didn't happen.

The big question is whether or not events that cause disasters really are occurring at a higher rate.  There are popular, and valid, charts out there that show dramatic increases over the last 100 years, and especially the last 20 years.  Both of the above factors have influenced the increases in those charts, which is expressed by those that created the charts.  The thing to note is that floods and hurricanes have risen dramatically while earthquakes have risen a little but stabilized, quite possibly just a capturing of better reporting in the data.  This suggests that possibility that weather related events have outpaced the influence of reporting and are starting to occur more frequently.  It really doesn't prove it, though, since it's still hard to quantify the affects of migration.

If nothing else we'll definitely know more in a few decades now that we are paying attention to this topic, but for now the jury is out.  Over the last five years we've had some up and some down in frequency, so at least it isn't an every year gets worse scenario.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2011, 06:33:04 AM »
An American sent an eye report from Tokyo https://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-569316?hpt=C2
Doesn't seem that shaken up.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2011, 07:14:14 AM »
This ain't cool.  :( Such big disasters are so unexpected...
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2011, 07:14:42 AM »

Mother Nature is starting to take revenge on the human race for how we are treating her.

This.  I hate to open up this can of worms, but it's global climate change, the secondary effect of which is more frequent and more severe weather events worldwide.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2011, 07:16:50 AM »
The end is near?

" . . . and there will be earthquakes in one place after another". Written 2,000 years ago.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2011, 07:18:12 AM »
I have a friend in Japan teaching English who felt the earthquakes (duh). His village is up in the mountains, so no tsunami risk, but still, crazy shit.

Also,
These things seem to be happening awfully frequent now in days.
Sad to see.  Why is it that tsunamis seem so damn frequent of late.  I don't remember them in the 80's. 90's?!

However, Professor McCue said earthquakes on plate boundaries often came in quick succession. ''We had a sequence of earthquakes in 1906 where there were at least six 'grade earthquakes' around the Pacific. And now we've had Chile last year and this one,'' he said.

''It's something we observe in all extreme events - they are clustered in time. That's what we observe they do but we don't have an answer for it.''
https://www.smh.com.au/world/disaster-clusters-keep-scientists-guessing-20110311-1brfp.html

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2011, 07:19:09 AM »
The end is near?

" . . . and there will be earthquakes in one place after another". Written 2,000 years ago.

wow they must have been real good observers of natural magma activity. good for them.

Offline kala1928

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2011, 07:26:05 AM »

This.  I hate to open up this can of worms, but it's global climate change, the secondary effect of which is more frequent and more severe weather events worldwide.

err wat?

1) climate change
2) ????
3) tsunamis

does not compute

Offline In The Name Of Rudess

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2011, 07:33:56 AM »

Which is not caused by human activity.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2011, 07:34:36 AM »
Of course not.  Carry on... ::)
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2011, 07:37:29 AM »
Can we take all of this 'we are destroying the world' crap over to P/R and just continue on topic?

I just read that both Hawaii and Indonesia only suffered very minor damage. And civilians nearby some Japanese nuclear power plants are being evacuated.

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2011, 07:38:43 AM »
it's pretty ignorant to blame global warming on earthquakes. if you really think weather patterns have the slightest power over magma activity and continental drift, you should probably keep your mouth shut.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2011, 07:39:14 AM »
It's such a great thing Japanese citizens are prepared enough to face this type of catastrophes. Can't say the same about many countries in the world, though.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2011, 07:44:06 AM »
I heard that radiation had leaked from a nuclear power plant  :(

the video I saw of the tsunami left me awestruck.  I hope and pray for a quick recovery for Japan... it is a beautiful country.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.