Author Topic: Flyleaf Appreciation Thread  (Read 1874 times)

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
Flyleaf Appreciation Thread
« on: March 10, 2011, 07:45:26 PM »
I've looked over the majority of the threads in this board, and I haven't seen one for Flyleaf, so I figured I'd start one.
(Please bear with me if there is one already buried somewhere; maybe this will generate some interest in it)

So yeah. I happen to be a big Flyleaf fan, and I was wondering who else is?
Feel free to share your thoughts/opinions on their music, style, etc.

I'll start it off by saying that so far, IMHO, all of their music is great! (I'm actually quite afraid of their next album, whenever it may come; I really don't want it to disappoint.)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Flyleaf Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 12:41:14 AM »
I loved their first album.  The second one is good, but felt like a bit of a let-down.  Their youthful, untamed energy on the first album gave it a very raw appeal.  But few bands can sustain the kind of charm that approach brings.  But, again, I do enjoy them.  Lacey's lyrics are very genuine and heartfelt, and her delivery really pulls you in.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 12:54:23 AM »
great vocals and excellent melodies

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 12:59:27 AM »
I think they're a cut above most alternative metal...or at least they have that capability.  I was very disappointed with their second album, but I think they still have the potential to impress me.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 05:37:05 AM »
I'm So Sick blew me away the first time I heard it.

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 06:27:54 AM »
I think they're a cut above most alternative metal...or at least they have that capability.  I was very disappointed with their second album, but I think they still have the potential to impress me.

I found that the second did have a very different sound to it, but I still enjoyed the album as a whole. The album concept was a little odd, but like bösk1 had mentioned, they really delivered some strong emotion with the lyrics and story.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 08:01:36 AM »
I heard some of their first album at a friend's house and thought it was good stuff.  Haven't heard the second album.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 02:37:20 PM »

I saw the video when I first heard the song, and her scream at the beginning knocked me back on my ass.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 09:52:08 AM »

I saw the video when I first heard the song, and her scream at the beginning knocked me back on my ass.

:lol  Pretty much my reaction as well.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 09:58:38 AM »
BUMP

New album came out yesterday. It's really, really good. Maybe their best. Also, Lacey Sturm's last; she decided she wants time with her family, and is pretty torn up about an accident that occurred where a stage hand died.

Anyway, New Horizons is great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AptjnW0Erqo

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 09:59:49 AM »
Their first album will always be special for me, it led me on the path to metal.
I'll give this a listen.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 10:08:26 AM »
Their first album will always be special for me, it led me on the path to metal.
I'll give this a listen.

???  Why?  Did you listen to it and say, "Man, this sucks so bad maybe I should just give up on this style of music and try metal instead?"

Just kidding.  I like them, too. 
BUMP

New album came out yesterday. It's really, really good. Maybe their best. Also, Lacey Sturm's last; she decided she wants time with her family, and is pretty torn up about an accident that occurred where a stage hand died.

Anyway, New Horizons is great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AptjnW0Erqo

I didn't realize they were working on a new one.  I'll have to pick this up.  The single you linked to sounds pretty good.  Still doesn't seem to quite pack the punch that some of the songs on the first album had (which is why I also felt that Memento Mori fell just a bit flat, despite better production and arguably tighter, more polished songwriting), but not bad.  I didn't know Lacey was leaving them.  Her voice is so iconic to their sound that I can't really imagine them continuing without her (or imagine me caring if they try to continue).  Are they planning on doing a tour?  I have always thought they would make a great pairing with Lacuna Coil.  I would have loved for them to have opened for Lacuna Coil on both bands' last album cycle, but this time around would be pretty cool too.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2012, 10:11:05 AM »
I'll give this a listen.

???  Why?  Did you listen to it and say, "Man, this sucks so bad maybe I should just give up on this style of music and try metal instead?"
:lol
What led me from Flyleaf to metal was her vocals on the first album.  I'm So Sick was a song I played on repeat, hell that whole album.  The second album didn't do it for me much, but I'll definitely give this one a shot, it's only fair.  :)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2012, 10:19:06 AM »
Yeah, I think I'm So Sick was the first song I heard from them that made me do a double take and want to listen more.  But that whole album is great from start to finish.  If I had to pick a favorite track, it would probably be Breathe Today, followed by Fully Alive and then Red Sam.

EDIT:  Oh, wow.  I don't think I realized before just now that the version of Breathe Today for the official video is a comletely different version than the album cut. 

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2012, 06:34:15 AM »
haha necro, much?

this thread is so old I got an email notification for it :lol

on topic; didn't realize the new album came out already. Will check it out in full

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2012, 08:55:46 AM »
New album is pretty good.  They have a few new things going on in their sound as well.  More later...

Offline jammindude

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2012, 09:40:04 AM »
I heard the new single, and I was REALLY disappointed. 

I loved the first album which really seemed fresh and exciting.   There may be female vocalists that blend clean and screaming vocals...but I had not heard anyone that did it as well as Flyleaf on the first album.   But the stuff I've heard since then has eliminated the screaming and made the music more pop oriented.

It's not bad...it's just not very original anymore.   I'll always have the first album.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2012, 09:59:53 AM »
Yeah, I thought the second album was a step down, and the single sounds a lot like the second album.  I'd say this new album takes as big a leap from the last one as the last one did from their debut, but it is a leap in a different direction.  If you liked their first album, I would give them the benefit of the doubt and check out a few more songs from the new album before writing it off.