Author Topic: Boston  (Read 4372 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Boston
« on: March 10, 2011, 12:02:05 PM »
Being that there is no thread on this classic rock band, I figured it was time to start one.

Anyway, their debut, arguably the best debut record ever, is obviously a classic.  I mean, how many records from 35 years ago have eight songs that are all still played on the radio!  That is unbelievable.

But their other albums are good as well.  Sure, each one gotta a little less good than the previous one, but they all have some worthwhile stuff on them. 

Anyway, let's appreciate Boston! :tup :tup

Offline GuineaPig

Re: Boston
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 12:03:25 PM »
There was no Boston thread  :omg:

Blasphemy!
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 12:12:40 PM »
The first album is an absolute MUST OWN album.  As you said, every single song is a winner.

I heard a snippet of an interview with Brad Delp last night - He was in a band and his bandmate said 'Let's go see this band, they're looking for a singer".  They went to see this 3-piece band that was doing instrumentals, as they no longer had a singer (he'd recently bailed on them).  He went and auditioned and they picked him because he could sing Rocky Mountain Way like Joe Walsh.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 12:14:02 PM »
To this day, I've owned the self titled album in these formats,

Album
8-Track
Cassette
CD
Gold Disk CD.

A top 10 album ever.  Top to bottom a classic.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline In The Name Of Rudess

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 12:21:51 PM »
The debut is legendary, the second one is pretty good, but I'm not too fond of the rest.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 01:09:42 PM »
The first album is one of the best of all-time. The second is very solid as well. I never checked out the rest.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 01:13:39 PM »
What an interesting time to create this thread, KevShmev, I'm actually getting into this band right now. So far I've only listened to their first three records, and I might be one of the few to say Third stage is their best album. It's my personal favorite at least - yes, their debut is an absolute classic, but I'm not too fond of the last two tracks. Third stage holds my attention from start to finish, it starts strong with one of their biggest hits and ends with three incredible songs.

So many great mainstream rock tracks, filled with hooks, catchy choruses, solos, and some unforgettable vocal harmonies. The song that I especially fell in love with is Don't look back, the chorus is just plain epic. And how about that guitar solo, isn't it beautiful? Remarkable piece of guitar work.

Time for Walk on...

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 01:31:11 PM »
My dad had Don't Look Back and so it was one of the first albums I was into. The cover drew me in with the spaceship-guitar thing. Everything sounded so "clean".
Never reall got into the debut.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 06:27:44 PM »
Brad Delp was an amazing singer.  The chorus to "Hollyann" gives me goosebumps every single time I listen to it.  I still remember being shocked that Delp nailed it when we saw Boston on the Walk On tour in the mid 90s.

Mladen, I can't say that Third Stage is anywhere near the first two, but I still dig it.  Every song is at least good, and yeah, the back half of it is really, really good.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 06:40:19 PM »
Brad Delp was an amazing singer.  The chorus to "Hollyann" gives me goosebumps every single time I listen to it.  I still remember being shocked that Delp nailed it when we saw Boston on the Walk On tour in the mid 90s.

Mladen, I can't say that Third Stage is anywhere near the first two, but I still dig it.  Every song is at least good, and yeah, the back half of it is really, really good.

Agreed. I saw Delp at one of the last performances he did with Beatlejuice back in... 06 I believe. It was an excellent show, and he sounded terrific. A couple months later he killed himself. :(

Anyways, the first three albums are great. Don't Look Back is a great summer album.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 07:50:43 PM »
Their first album is one of the best ever. Never explored further because I didn't see the need to.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 07:55:46 PM »
My dad had Don't Look Back and so it was one of the first albums I was into. The cover drew me in with the spaceship-guitar thing. Everything sounded so "clean".
Never reall got into the debut.

You are one of a kind, my friend. The debut pretty much is a greatest hits album.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 08:33:41 PM »
Boston's debut album is special to me. I was 10 years old staying at my Grandmother's house for the summer and my cousin Tammy was there as well from Cali. She was a teenager and I looked up to her. Anyway, she played me the record and it hit my little 10 yo brain so hard...I just loved it and I've been a rocker ever since.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2011, 03:45:43 AM »
The first album = Holy shit!!

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2011, 08:00:16 AM »
Boston's debut album, along with The Best of Kansas are what made me a music fan at about 9 years old.

Offline Dream_Theater01

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2011, 08:02:52 AM »
Boston are a great band!  Their debut is amazing, and I'm a big fan of all of their other albums as well.  I've heard that they're planning to release a new album soon.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2011, 08:04:12 AM »
I love Boston. I got into them just recently, but have loved everything I've checked out so far.  :tup
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2011, 08:06:04 AM »
Classic.. I saw them back around 1977-78.

I always enjoyed their sound
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2011, 08:10:29 AM »

Old man! :lol
Actually I'm very jealous!

I saw them on 8/24/87 in Worcester. It was the last of NINE SOLD OUT SHOWS at the Centrum.

@ Kingshmegland..you must've went to one of these shows no?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2011, 08:18:04 AM »
I think I really only know Boston's greatest hits, but I did see them with Styx and Foreigner and love them!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2011, 08:21:47 AM »

I saw them on 8/24/87 in Worcester. It was the last of NINE SOLD OUT SHOWS at the Centrum.

Of course!!  I was at the 4th show.  Image 9 sold out shows?!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2011, 08:30:47 AM »

Yep...Im Old..and Old Skool... LOL
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2011, 08:49:20 AM »
EPIC, do you remember the particulars? the venue, who opened, that kind of thing?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2011, 12:04:57 PM »
They were all over the radio yesterday, as it was Tom Scholz's birthday.  /trivia

I have their first album on vinyl (and it was one of the first CDs I bought, too).  Played it to death, love every song, etc.  But when their second album came out, ironically titled Don't Look Back but sounding exactly like the first album, I didn't even pick it up.  Apparently I'd heard everything that particular band had to say.  There are some good songs on the second album, I know this from hearing them on the radio, but I just didn't see the point.  The first album had great variety, the second album didn't seem to go any further.  Also, 1977-78 was around the time I was getting more into prog, so my taste was changing.

I still spin the first album once in a while, though.  I think it's in my changer at home right now, in fact.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2011, 12:29:42 PM »
They were all over the radio yesterday, as it was Tom Scholz's birthday.  /trivia

I have their first album on vinyl (and it was one of the first CDs I bought, too).  Played it to death, love every song, etc.  But when their second album came out, ironically titled Don't Look Back but sounding exactly like the first album, I didn't even pick it up.  Apparently I'd heard everything that particular band had to say.  There are some good songs on the second album, I know this from hearing them on the radio, but I just didn't see the point.  The first album had great variety, the second album didn't seem to go any further.  Also, 1977-78 was around the time I was getting more into prog, so my taste was changing.

I still spin the first album once in a while, though.  I think it's in my changer at home right now, in fact.

Well, Tom Scholz was really rushed on the second album. I think it was actually an unfinished product when the record company released it even.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2011, 02:19:39 PM »
EPIC, do you remember the particulars? the venue, who opened, that kind of thing?

Yes..It was a college in NJ..my friends father took us he was working at the school..it was by Trenton. I cant remember the opener I was maybe 14 at the time. I want to say Princeton NJ. I still have these wierd memories of that show, we were way in the back,..I cant remember the opener..I want to say Sammy Hagar.. but I saw Kansas at about the same time period and Sammy might have opened for them.. I saw a few shows in a few months back then.. Thin Lizzy opened for I want to say Kansas ...so Sammy might have opened for Boston..I also saw Cheap Trick about that same year or so..
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 02:27:27 PM by EPICVIEW »

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2011, 02:33:45 PM »
I will agree with all alse that their debut album is the best ever.  Brad Delps is soooo close to being my favorite singer, if it wasn't for a certain Mr. Mercury.  My favorite bit of theirs is the instrumental on Smokin.  If you can't rock out to that, you might as well blow your fucking brains out, cause you have no soul.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2011, 02:35:11 PM »
I will agree with all alse that their debut album is the best ever.  Brad Delps is soooo close to being my favorite singer, if it wasn't for a certain Mr. Mercury.  My favorite bit of theirs is the instrumental on Smokin.  If you can't rock out to that, you might as well blow your fucking brains out, cause you have no soul.

I agree

Pass the bacon bro... :tup

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2011, 02:44:29 PM »
EPIC, I had to read your post twice. I thought it read that YOU were in college and were only 14! :lol

I would've loved to have seen Thin Lizzy. Who was on guitar when you saw Lizzy?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2011, 02:53:36 PM »
I did the same damn thing.  All I could think was Epic as the young kid in Real Genius. :rollin

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2011, 03:08:20 PM »
EPIC, I had to read your post twice. I thought it read that YOU were in college and were only 14! :lol

I would've loved to have seen Thin Lizzy. Who was on guitar when you saw Lizzy?

Robo and Scott

and then I saw Gary and Scott..

LOL...No.. I was not the Boy Genius...!!! but I was shaving at 14 and getting served!!

Jadwin Gym in Princeton had some great shows..and so did Rider University, but they are so close to each oteher I saw a few shows at each back then, and  in central NJ the Cap theater had amazing shows

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2011, 03:09:49 PM »
I did the same damn thing.  All I could think was Epic as the young kid in Real Genius. :rollin

Thank You King!!!..this is first time the word genius and Me , have been in the same sentence!!!!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2011, 03:21:25 PM »
Is the check in the mail yet Epic?! :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2011, 03:35:23 PM »
He's pulling it from Rumbo's account as we speak!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2011, 04:02:36 PM »
He's pulling it from Rumbo's account as we speak!
Then I'm expecting a thousand dollars!  WOO HOO!! :lol