18 (31%)
Google
1 (1.7%)
RIM
1 (1.7%)
Other (explain)
2 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: Most Hated Tech Company  (Read 8086 times)

Offline webpoet73

• DT.net Veteran
  • I am like a ghost...
Most Hated Tech Company
« on: March 10, 2011, 11:00:05 AM »
I am curious as to what tech company is the most hated and even why...

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Most Hated Tech Company
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 11:01:27 AM »
Do you mean is hated the most in general or just by the person responding to the thread?

Offline webpoet73

• DT.net Veteran
  • I am like a ghost...
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 11:05:33 AM »
The poster.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 11:06:17 AM »
I'd guess that popular opinion would show it as Microsoft still, though Apple definitely has it's group of haters. I think neither company is as evil as some try to make them out to be.

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 11:15:44 AM »
Um.. I love them all

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 11:30:30 AM »
I don't hate any of them, really. I never understood the hate for Microsoft. They provide products out of which people get enormous amounts of use, and then when the occasional issue comes up they suddenly say, "Microsoft is horrible. Windows sucks." And most people's issues come out of the fact that they just don't know how to use a computer properly.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 11:31:48 AM »
Oops I voted microsoft.  Not because I hate them, but because I think they are most hated by other people.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 11:39:02 AM »
I can't vote because I don't hate any of those, especially not Other. Other is actually my favorite.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 11:59:47 AM »
I love RIM, but I'm biased.  Are they often hated because of all the lawsuits they end up in or something?

Offline ehra

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 12:03:28 PM »
I don't hate any of them, really. I never understood the hate for Microsoft. They provide products out of which people get enormous amounts of use, and then when the occasional issue comes up they suddenly say, "Microsoft is horrible. Windows sucks." And most people's issues come out of the fact that they just don't know how to use a computer properly.

To be honest, I've had more issues with my 360 than I have my Windows machine. I think it's a little hilarious that a device built from the ground up to be a gaming machine manages to crash more often while playing games than my PC does.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 12:12:47 PM »
I can't vote because I don't hate any of those, especially not Other. Other is actually my favorite.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 12:14:22 PM »
I dont hate any of them.

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 12:22:44 PM »
They all have good aspects. More companies, more competition.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2011, 12:40:34 PM »
Hatred is a strong word. I dislike apple's design and marketing strategy more than the others though because I feel it promotes a culture of ignorance about the tech you are using.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2011, 12:46:29 PM »
I was gonna go with Apple, just because the closed nature of everything they do is bothersome to me.  However, two things force me to go with MS.  First, the 360 has certainly soured me on them.  Releasing a product with >50% failure rate is appalling.  And the whole MS points thing instead of money pisses me off, as well.  The other thing is their heavy-handed approach to DRM in both the 360 and Windows.  I can't play DLC on the xbox without it being connected to their server.  Nor can I replace the dvd drive in it after it craps out every 6 months because of the hardware key.  The anti-counterfeit measures in Windows are even worse.  As much as I like their OS, I wouldn't install a legal version of it because of all the bullshit hoops they expect you to jump through.  When you adopt an approach towards piracy that involves sticking it to your paying customers, I have a hard time not hating you. 

I guess my problem with both Apple and Windows is their fanatical desire to maintain control of their products even after I purchase them.  When I buy something, I expect it to be mine to do with as I please.  Neither of these companies see things this way.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2011, 12:59:27 PM »
I don't hate any of these companies, but Apple has been getting a whole lot of flak for the last 20 years. Some of it is justified, some isn't, I guess.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2011, 01:05:05 PM »
Well, I don't actually hate any of them, and I don't particularly like them either. However, just breaking it down, MS makes decent products that can have some really annoying features. Apple makes some decent products that also have some really annoying features, but are also absurdly overpriced and marketed with a patronizing and annoying ad campaign.

So, I suppose Apple gets my vote.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2011, 01:08:31 PM »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2011, 01:09:35 PM »
 :rollin
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2011, 01:10:33 PM »
 :rollin

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2011, 01:11:33 PM »
The case of Real Networks is really interesting. The CEO single-handedly drove the company into the ground, even after they got a gratuitous chunk of money from Microsoft from a lawsuit.

rumborak

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2011, 01:15:49 PM »
Probably because they never had a product that actually worked.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2011, 01:22:59 PM »
Yeah, they were slowly going down because of their shit product, but then got a hefty lump of money from Microsoft. But instead of using the money to make themselves competitive again, the CEO forced the company to create essentially a TiVo knockoff, solely because his wife was sick for a long time and loved her TiVo during that time.

rumborak

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2011, 01:25:08 PM »
I dislike apple's design and marketing strategy more than the others though because I feel it promotes a culture of ignorance about the tech you are using.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2011, 01:30:53 PM »
DELL  :censored

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2011, 01:34:42 PM »
I don't hate any of them, but I did vote Microsoft.  Over the years they have just been the biggest source of annoyance for me when it comes to computers.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2011, 01:50:02 PM »
Hatred is a strong word. I dislike apple's design and marketing strategy more than the others though because I feel it promotes a culture of ignorance about the tech you are using.

Actually, you just described Micrsoft perfectly.  After all, Microsoft was founded on an operating system ripped off from Apple called (DOS) and was given a new name called (Windows).  Yes, Windows is a DOS based operating system.  If there's any ignorance about the tech being used, it's Microsoft, not Apple.

I've always hated Microsoft.  They produce nothing but overrated, cheap and unstable junk.  The only reason people buy it is because it looks pretty and like I said, is cheap.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 01:56:53 PM by Dublagent66 »
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2011, 01:53:27 PM »
Voted for apple just because I don't like their products. iTunes makes me want to rage.

Microsoft would be in the middle, with Google being my favorite form that list. I haven't had a Blackberry or any RIM product or service so I can't really comment on them.

Offline webpoet73

• DT.net Veteran
  • I am like a ghost...
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2011, 02:03:17 PM »

Really?  I know more geeks with Apple products and know more about them than say, my mom or my wife knows about their Windows machines...

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2011, 02:05:00 PM »

Actually, you just described Micrsoft perfectly.  After all, Microsoft was founded on an operating system ripped off from Apple called (DOS) and was given a new name called (Windows).  Yes, Windows is a DOS based operating system.  If there's any ignorance about the tech being used, it's Microsoft, not Apple.
I don't think Apple invented DOS.  They invented the GUI that Bill ripped off and called Windows, which was a DOS overlay, but I think there was an MS-DOS while Apple was still suing BASIC. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline webpoet73

• DT.net Veteran
  • I am like a ghost...
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2011, 02:06:22 PM »
MS bought DOS from a computer shop in Seattle.  Apple got the GUI from Xerox.  MS got the GUI from Apple.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2011, 02:11:12 PM »
The only reason people buy it is because it looks pretty

Actually, you just described Apple perfectly.

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2011, 02:25:01 PM »
To say that MS stole DOS and changed its name to Windows is itself an example of ignorance.

Not only since they bought an existing version of DOS, the initial versions of windows were not operating systems at all. You ran them from dos by entering "win" into the prompt and they had versions of DOS into the early 1990s, well after the first version of windows.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2011, 02:28:45 PM »
The biggest irony of all is that all the DTF Apple using youngsters are going "what the fuck is an OS?  DOS?  GUI?  Xerox?"   :lol
E.F. Benson